Lemon Juice

Price: $

Price: $

5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, Vitamin C, pH 2 to 3

on 2/8/2014 2:09:00 PM

LEMON JUICE AND PHOTOTOXICITY?

I have recently researched for claims on whether lemons are phototoxic or not because I have been using lemon juice as a part of my skin care regimen for the last month. I have found many many online articles, countless, claiming that lemons are phototoxic-- therefore, increasing your skin sensitivity to sun light; however, none of these articles have cited any scientific resources that are in line with their claims.

After searching through the net through google AS WELL AS SCHOLARLY, SCIENTIFIC DATABASES, the only CREDIBLE article on lemon juice I found states,

"In a prior study we demonstrated in rats that only the peel juice and not the fruit juice of lemons is associated with phytophotodermatitis [13], confirming a previous study in humans [14]."

This article is published in these two places if you want to read for yourself:

My conclusion from my research is that some lemon oil-- depending on how it is extracted from the peel-- can be phototoxic. Lemon juice, however, I think is fairly safe for now, but I don't know how easily it is for lemon peel juice to get into the lemon juice. And who knows what new studies scholars will come up with.

Always use anything with caution. And try to constantly update your own knowledge by researching OUTSIDE of google.

[edit] If anyone has more information with sources, especially ones that contradict mine, please share!

_________________________________________

MY EXPERIENCE WITH LEMON JUICE

I am 25 and have been on the birth control pill since 18-- which is probably why I have very very mild acne. My skin has always been good enough for me to never have to wear makeup, but I don't have perfect skin either. I have an oily t zone, but normal cheeks.

After coming back from two weeks in Hawaii, my forehead broke out in a lot of tiny skin colored bumps. Could be the exponentially increased use of sun screen. Could be sun damage. Could be the weather. Could be that I pigged out on every imaginable unhealthy food I could get my hands on while on vacay. Who knows.

My regular skin care wasn't working: exfoliate with brown rice flour, tone with witch hazel, moisturize with argan oil, and use spot treatment from Clean & Clear. So I decided to add lemon juice squeezed from home grown lemons. Mixed the juice with my rice flour and exfoliated. Mixed juice with witch hazel and toned. Then washed it off and toned AGAIN with witch hazel to get rid of excess lemon juice. I never leave it on for more than a minute. I do this twice a day, morning and night.

After 3 days, the bumps were almost all gone. After 7 days they were all gone. Now my skin is back to normal, and I have been using lemon juice since then.

With that said, lemon juice is not going to work for everyone. Putting anything that is not naturally found on your skin will have the potential to irritate it. This is my own experience, but just because I love lemon juice does not mean your skin will.

on 1/29/2014 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

When I applied freshly squeezed lemon juice to my face, diluted or undiluted, it stung like crazy. It left my face feeling sticky and uncomfortable. I could not tolerate the feeling for too long, and therefore, cannot describe whether lemon juice really does have an effect on acne.

Three days of applying my DIY lemon juice toner left my usually oily skin flaky and dehydrated. Lemon juice is also possibly phototoxic, so using it to fade hyperpigmentation is counter-productive. The damage may not be noticeable right away, but it will creep up on you later on.

Rather use lemons for flavouring fish or chicken. Or pop a slice or two in your drinking water. How about some homemade lemonade or pickles? :p

on 1/29/2014 11:35:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Lemon does wonders when applied topically; treats breakouts, rids of blackheads, and lightens complexion. It's best to detoxify from the inside out. Squeeze a quarter lemon into your water and leave it in. You may notice some purging, but that's when you know it's working! I swear by it.

on 1/25/2014 11:04:00 PM

I've always thought of using lemon juice on my pimples but never really did until recently, mainly because I've always thought that applying citric acid directly on skin would be too strong and might even burn my skin. But suprisingly it worked really work! I don't use it all the time, only twice a day at most, once in the morning and once at night. The best is that lemons are so affordable and accessible everywhere. To get the most out of it, cut one small slice of lemon each time and use cotton swab to dab the lemon juice onto your skin. After it dries, remember to apply moisturizing cream and also sunscreen if used in the morning. It doesn't work immediately so you must be very patient. But overall it worked decently well in reducing the redness of swollened pimples and brightening skin tone. Try it and see how it works for you! There is nothing to lose.

on 1/7/2014 11:29:00 PM

The progress is really slow so don't get your hopes up easily for just an overnight application or so. I have been using lemon juice for about 3 weeks now to fight my dark spots and acne scars, it really lightens but not actually removing it completely. basically, i just dilute the lemon slices (but not too much, you don't want that citric acid to lose it's effect) then squeeze out the lemon juice and soak it in a cotton bud (i was using cotton balls before but i find it real messy..on my first 3 nights of using it i had pimples in some areas of my face) . Anyway, it's natural to have that sting, a little itchy feeling and mild redness but you'll get use to it. And one more thing, it really dries off your skin so to moisturize, I apply Vitamin E cream from The body shop.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

1 big cotton ball + 1 tip of witch hazel + 1 tip of lemon juice = One seriously awesome toner. I was using lemon juice as a spot treatment on dark marks with a q-tip until I realized straight witch hazel as a toner was too drying on me, and I could get the benefits of lemon juice all over my face. A few days ago I started using an exfoliating wash, Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair moisturizer with SPF 30 which has a form of retinol, plus a 1% salicylic acid treatment, so I'm liable to be flaky. My face is slowly but surely brightening up with these products. And it's soft. : )

on 12/12/2013 1:50:00 PM

Let me just start by saying I never ever write reviews for anything!

I've always had acne breakouts, I've tried different face washes, face masks, etc. The past months it's gotten a little better with just an occasional break out or two. I woke up a few days ago and had the worst breakout! My cheeks were red and covered with breakouts and had huge cystic acne on my chin! After research I decided to try the lemon. I cut a slice off a lemon and rub it over my entire face at night, leave it on overnight. When I wake up I rinse it off with water and then apply my moisturizer (the lemon does dry out my face, it nothing moisturizer can't fix).

I've been doing this for the past three night and can already see amazing results!! The cystic acne is practically gone and all of my other breakouts have shrunken down tremendously! The redness on my cheeks is fading and I am already noticing a difference with my acne scars too! My pores are definitely smaller and my face is soo much brighter!

I absolutely love this! I wish I would've started this year's ago!

on 12/7/2013 1:58:00 AM

Lemon!!! I just rub a half or a slice of pure lemon on my face, wait 15 mins, wash it off and its the best cleanser/toner ever! Pores shrink visibly, tightens my whole face, rids of grease but you NEED to moisturise a lot with a nice moisturiser (olay for example) SPF 15+ at least to go out in sun...I do it about twice/thrice a week and it makes such a difference! Love lemon, I wish I had done this when I was younger! :-D

on 11/6/2013 5:09:00 AM

so i have been trying out using lemon juice as a toner since i chanced upon the reviews for lemon juice on MUA

at first i tried mixing lemon juice with my sephora toner (containing witch hazel). it was about 70% toner and 30% lemon juice. tried it cause i didnt want it to be too harsh on my skin. but turns out it did absolutely nothing for me.

after awhile i tried using pure lemon juice since i figured out what the heck i'll just put the real thing on my face. read some reviews where they cut half a lemon and rub it on their face.
IMO thats a total waste of lemons and money. what i do is i cut them into half and store it. every night i will cut a thin slice off and store the rest in the fridge.

i'll squeeze that slice into a cotton pad and rub it all over my face. in fact that 5-10 drops of juice is more than enough for my whole face (you dont wanna put too much anyways)

remember to only use it at night!! also my nose got a bit dry after 2-3 nights of using it. so i might try alternate nights of putting pure lemon juice then my toner w the lemon juice in it.

my face feels smoother the next morning and my pores seem a tad bit smaller and it is much less oilier when i wake up!

i'll edit this if i realize it stops working/my face gets worse. meanwhile, enjoy the juice!!

also, i need to add that im using pure juice and leaving it overnight only because my skin is relatively tough after all the treatments i put it through (BP, topical creams, roaccutane, etc). if your skin is sensitive PLEASE dilute it or use my toner method.

on 11/3/2013 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Really, how can you not love lemon!!!

I mix it in my water every morning and it is so so refreshing and cleanses your body. A little lemon and cucumber in an ice water jug keeps my body clean and detoxed all day!!

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice
Nerium AD

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products