Sonia Kashuk Travel Kabuki Brush

3.6

I use this with my bronzer. It works really good and evenly applies the powder. It is a lot softer than my BE brush as well. The fact that retractable bristles don't go all the way down is pretty annoying.
as for shedding I have a stray hair here or there but not often enough to complain.

on 4/14/2008 9:11:00 PM

I picked this up because it is so compact and I can take it anywhere. After reading the reviews on this site, I was afraid that this would shed everywhere, but so far I haven't had that problem much. Yes, every now and then I get a shed hair, but it's nothing that makes me regret buying this. As far as the case goes, I love the fact that this retracts, and I don't think the fact that the bristles aren't completely retractable damages them. As far as softness goes, I find this to be very nice and doesn't irritate my skin. Overall, I am very pleased with this.

on 3/31/2008 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This brush fits nicely into my make-up bag, and I like that it's retractable so it stays clean in my bag and my bag stays clean from the powder on it, but good grief it sheds a lot. A LOT. I pick black fibers off my skin hours after I've applied my powder. Very frustrating, especially since it was $18 from Target - I expect more from Sonia Kashuk at a lower price.
*EDIT* After washing it 2-3 times, the shedding is down to a minimum, and the brush has good application, so I'm giving it 3 lippies!

on 1/19/2008 8:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i've had this brush for about 6 months now and it has hardly shed at all. i think i've pulled maybe 5 hairs out total. the brush is exactly the right size and shape IMO for a kabuki brush, and the travel lid is fairly useful. i usually just store it upright with the lid up and the cap off so i dont have to waste time trying not to smash the bristles. it can be real soft and pleasant but i've found that after a while, it does start to get a little scratchy and i by no means have sensitive skin. it also will start to poorly distribute makeup after a while so i do wash it about once a week or every other week. however it has held up quite well and it is very convienient to travel with. i deducted one lippy for the cap and for the seemingly increasing care it needs as it ages, but that isnt unreasonable.

on 1/10/2008 4:09:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This brush does a good job picking up my BE mineral veil plus the bristles are quite soft. However, it appears to be shedding after washing it. If shedding is not a concern, it is a functional travel brush for $18.

Pros:
1. Very soft. As with all SK's brushes, the quality is quite superior to anything else you're likely to find in a mass-market store. Even with a firm hand, this isn't likely to prick and irritate your skin like Bare Minerals' brushes or the brushes that come with your drugstore brand powders.
2. Does a nice job of picking up and applying mineral makeup, with fairly even coverage and easy blending.
3. Cleans well, retains shape and texture after drying.
4. The dark metal looks very classy, so if you're one who cares what the other women in the powder room think of your makeup packaging, that's a nice bonus.
Cons:
1. Sheds. Maybe some of us just got ours from a bad batch, but this sheds at least 5 bristles every use. The bristles also break pretty often. So far, this hasn't affected softness or performance, so if you're okay with cleaning up a lot of dark bristles on your face every day, it's not too big a deal.
2. The packaging is nice but inferior to the SK retractable blush brush. As mentioned before, the protective sleeve doesn't quite reach the top of the bristles, meaning you have to use some extra care when putting the top on to avoid bending and breakage.
I likely won't be repurchasing. The shedding is a bit much for me. The convenience of a soft, covered brush is nice and all, but for the price, I expect higher quality. Hopefully, the long-handled kabuki from Everyday Minerals lives up to the MUA hype. If it proves superior, I'll just have to find a storage solution for that brush that works for travel. -- Update: The EM brush is quite a bit softer, provides somewhat smoother application, and hasn't shed at all so far. It's also cheaper.

on 12/14/2007 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is for girls on the go - so here's the review of that aspect 1st:
Smart design, super compact. There is this hard sleeve around the hairs that you slide up so the cap won't splay them all over the place. It works flawlessly on mine & takes half a second. Plus besides travel, it packs the hairs together so the brush stays in very firm shape.
The brush itself is pretty soft. Not as soft as their powder brush but that makes sense since the kabuki is supposed to be denser and firmer. Also, with this kabuki I apply my EM mineral foundation which is recommended to really press into the skin - my much firmer application may be why it does not feel like room-temp buttah.
Shedding-wise, this sheds one hair tops per use. Not bad at all. And again, this may be because I do press pretty hard.
All-in-all, I recommend this kabuki if you do a lot of travel (duh it's in the name) or if you don't like dust settling into your brush during the day or if you want a compact solution for your ever-expanding makeup bag/counter.

on 11/16/2007 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

I like the brush, but had to return it because when you pull the tube up to close it doesn't cover the whole brush leaving bits to get caught in the cap. I think if they're going to charge nearly $20 then it should close right.

on 11/16/2007 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I found this brush for $17.99 at target. Its the perfect size for applying my everyday minerals foundation. Its big enough to get full coverage, but small enough to fit in the spots between my nose and lips, under the eyes, and chin area.

The brush is very soft and it is also quite dense allowing it to pick up a good amount of the powder. I have had trouble finding a brush for my powder foundation that didn't irriate my skin or feel scratchy. Everything decent was so expensive. (think MAC 182) Target had this brush (along with many others in the Kashuk line) on display to sample the softness. Once I touched it I knew that it was the kind of brush I needed at a price I could afford. I had no idea that Target carried such a nice line of brushes. I have not had a problem with shedding either.

The retractable tube case is an attractive dark metallic color and it keeps my brush not only safe, but ready for easy travel.

Its a fantastic brush for the price and its easy for everyone to find at their local Target.

on 10/30/2007 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

It's a very soft brush but I found it didn't apply my mineral makeup very well and it shed something terrible, every day my bathroom counter was covered in little black hairs. It certainly looks nice and feels nice but it's going back.

Popular Makeup Brushes