July 29, 2014 | 1090 users online

Loose Powders - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Matte Finishing Veil

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2009 6:02:00 PM More reviews by jennybs99

So this is a long review, but if you are looking to really do your research like I was, I hope that I can help! As for the powder.. I can't believe I haven't tried anything like this sooner! I have skin that can sometimes be red & discolored, so I use liquid foundation & a regular loose powder after that to get high coverage. So since I have oily skin, my skin tends to get oily as the hours pass. Before I found this product, I would grab for my regular loose powder & reapply at least a few times a day to blot out the oil. Well, I would find that by the end of the day, after building up my regular loose powder 3 or 4 times, my face would look cakey & even occasionally have an orange tint to it when I would use too much powder after a long day. Awful! Now that I have this product, I still use my liquid foundation & regular loose powder in the morning, but after that I apply a very light coat of this powder to set my makeup & minimize my pores. During the day, when I need a touch up to eliminate oil, I grab for THIS powder & apply a very thin layer. It does the job perfectly, without adding that cakey look or any sort of additional color at all! It's literally invisible once it's on your face. I have noticed that my pores appear smaller when I have this product on. I also feel good knowing that the formula is good for my breakout-prone skin.

So I think we've all come to the conclusion that the packaging for this product isn't the greatest because the brush is a little bit too harsh. The concept of powder flowing through the brush is great & it works to some degree. I use the packaging the way it was made for you to use when I am on the go, because I have no other choice. But when I am at home, I dip one of my softer makeup brushes into the powder to apply it, which makes it so I can apply it a lot more evenly.

All in all, don't expect this powder to give you excellent coverage the way a normal powder is supposed to work. That is not what it is intended for. If you are prone to oily skin, it is excellent for helping blot out those oily's! If you have large pores, it is excellent for minimizing their appearance. If you wear liquid foundation, it is excellent for setting it so that it lasts longer throughout the day. I almost spent $30 to buy the Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil powder which is virtually the same thing. After trying this powder at only $10, I don't even have any interest in trying the Bare Escentuals powder because I am so happy with this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2009 12:55:00 AM More reviews by ladee1959

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Product: I like the feel it's light on my face and makes my pores look smaller.
Packaging: I hate the brush it's rough on my skin. Would like it if it had a much softer brush. Also you can't clean the brush.
If it was packaged in a powder mill it would be more user friendly.

I will buy this product again because I Iike the powder. I hope PF will consider new packageing.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2009 1:43:00 PM More reviews by osuheatherk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I will echo what other reviewers have said: great product with poor packaging. There are two things I love about this product: it really is translucent and I don't have to worry about getting that cakey too-much powder look, and it is really long-lasting. I used to have to use an oil-blotting strip because of greasiness in my T-zone within about 6 hours of applying my makeup, but now I feel like my face stays matte for much longer.

I still have not figured out the best way to actually get the powder onto the brush... I have trouble getting it to flow through the brush, so I have been unscrewing the top and dipping it onto the sifter, but that gets messy. I think I will have to figure out a separate container to dump the powder into but haven't done that yet. Unfortunately this means it's not a very portable option. But based on the performance of this product I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2009 1:01:00 PM More reviews by COLLZ09

I love this product. I use it all the time over my makeup as a finishing powder and it really helps. It even works as a touch up during the day instead of the regular powder I use in the morning which is refreshing because this mineral veil powder is not heavy at all and I don't mind reapplying it. It helps to control sign and makes my skin look perfect. My only complaint is the packaging. It has a brush attached to the top of it and the powder is supposed to come through to the brush, which is really doesn't. I always end up just opening it and dipping the brush into the powder and applying it that way. It's a great products and I definitely recommend it for a finishing powder and for touch ups throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2009 5:09:00 AM More reviews by kristikreme

The powder itself is HG quality. It leaves a matte finish (that lasts for hours), evens out my skin tone, and covers up any imperfection regarding my complexion or how I applied the foundation. The packaging, however, is worthless. (I gave it a 1 for PF's attempt of convenience.) I suggest pouring the contents into another jar or what have you and using a kabuki brush instead. I have repurchased once and plan to do so again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2008 2:28:00 PM More reviews by dorkynerd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think this would be a better product if they application wasn't so messy. Or maybe I am doing it wrong.. You get a bunch of it in one place on your face. Its just not a prett look. The product itself is pretty if you can get the application down. I just don't have the patience for this. I will not be buying this product again.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by csams

I bought this to use as a finishing power for my mineral makeup. I specifically purchased this product because of the packaging. I thought it would be a handy way to reapply throughout the day, without having to drag along a pot of powder and a separate brush.
I am usually a fan of Physician's Formula products; however, this powder looks very cakey and noticably powdery on my face. I thought this was caused by the packaging. The first time I used the product, it worked like a charm, every time after that powder gathered in the brush while it is in my makeup bag, and too much powder ended up coming out. The brush was also pretty rough.
So, never wanting to give up, I emptied the powder into an empty mineral pot. Only to still have problems with caking. I am giving in and throwing this in the trash. I'm really disappointed in this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2008 5:28:00 PM More reviews by Phancci

I'm actually torn here... Really. This is a great product and when used with a light hand gives great results. But the packaging is so bad in my opinion that I'm considering not buying it once I run out... At first glance this seems like a great idea. All you have to do is give it a little shake and your brush is filled with powder and you can just brush it on right there and set your make-up. Great. Love the idea. Bag it up! I'll take it!
-But-
The packaging on this product is just awful. It takes a while to devise your own method of application. The brush, for starters, is rough. VERY rough. The bristles tend to feel very uncomfy on the skin. As a result of the Spiny Brush of Doom, the powder that comes out of the brush is distributed unevenly. You'll get splotches of powder here, and no powder there. You'll have to bust out a trusty powder brush or puff to correct the problem. Possibly attempt to wipe some off and re-apply.
I actually have to try and apply it as I would a light covering of mineral foundation using a powder brush (usually slightly damp to keep the stuff in place. Sheesh!)
Now... once you actually have it on your skin, it does wonders. -No joke- It helps your face look more even and gets rid of that cakey look if you accidentally went overboard on your face. It also seems to make lines look a little less scary. At the end of the day, my make-up looks less oily and has a nice "natural skin" look to it.
But again... the packaging for this product is so bad, I may have to look into getting something else once I finish this container.
-Bottom line-
This product works great. Does exactly as described, but you're going to be pulling your hair out trying to find a decent way to apply it. Good luck to you if you decide to try it out! You may have better luck than I did with the Spiny Brush of Doom that comes attached =)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2008 4:46:00 AM More reviews by jetzickah

The built in brush should definitely be avoided! I typically took off the top and dabbed my kabuki brush in it. At first it was very evident that I had this powder on my face and that's when I realized a little went a long way. It made my skin look great and was a lovely finishing touch, however after reading several reviews on mineral makeup, I think it may have contributed to some breakouts so I had to stop using it. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2008 9:14:00 PM More reviews by Animimi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

What an amazing product, somehow it seems both very matte and still diffuses light for a smooth appearance.

Immediately after application, this product seems perfect. Its very light, however, so the staying power is seriously lacking. Luckily its easy enough to blot and touch up without getting cakey, but I'd love to see the same result from something with more staying power.

The only other downside is the packaging. Why do these mineral foundation companies even bother with that built-in brush thingie? its always of terrible quality and its far too difficult to control the amount.

Its not a huge problem though, at least this one lets you unscrew the lid. I just tap some out on a mixing plate and apply with a good kabuki.