Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Foundation

3.4

on 7/30/2012 12:51:00 PM

I don't see what is so great about this product. I got this in a Sephora exclusive package, along with some other things. I didn't like any of the products that this came with. First of all, the packaging is terrible. I opened the package and the powder came flying out all over the place. I also had to use a lot of the product to cover anything on my face. It didn't even have great coverage once it was all over my face! All that it actually did was make any zits or imperfections I had look 10 times worse. In fact, wearing this product made me discover that I had a few zits I didn't know I had. It's so strange because every woman I know talks about how great this product is and how great the coverage is. I just don't see it. I think this product is a waste of money.

on 5/30/2012 1:25:00 AM

I bought BM starter kit two year ago when a beauty therapist introduced it to me. I have prone acne skin and it gives full coverage. Fully covered my lumpy pumpy skin. And I can use it as concealer as well.
I have been repurchased it for so many times, sadly it doesn’t give full coverage for dried up spot. But I still can live with it. Happy with this product.

on 4/18/2012 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Because I have extremely extremely sensitive skin (meaning if I put on a foundation or finishing powder that isn't compatible with my skin, I immediately break out or get tiny bumps that appear all over my skin) I've been forced to stick with certain powder foundations (vs. liquid foundation).

I began using Bare Escentuals years ago, but switched to Benefit powder foundation when I discovered how infinitely better the quality of Benefit powder foundation is. Recently I've started using Bare Escentuals again as my daily foundation, using Benefit powder only on special occasions, etc., however, because I've realized that it is the only foundation that actually clears up my skin. (Benefit was better than most foundations on my skin, but it still gave me tiny bumps if I wore it for too long a period of time.)

So here are the pros & cons of Bare Escentuals:

PROS
--actually cleared up my skin, preventing me from breaking out and actually giving me smoother skin
--cheaper than most foundations -- esp, if you buy it off of ebay, you can get it for ~$16

CONS
--compared to Benefit powder, the powder is not as finely ground
--very light coverage - for better coverage, you should intensely moisturize first or use a very good primer, especially if you're going for that polished, perfect skin look rather than the bare-skin-no-makeup look.
--pretty drying - it actually gives me creases on my forehead and along my nose... the most oily parts of my face! I feel like this probably helps clear up my skin (by soaking up the oils) but still, I'm 23, I shouldn't have any wrinkles yet! I've started intensely moisturizing those areas prior to applying foundation
--color is meh - it's alright.
--without reapplication of the mineral veil throughout the day, your face doesn't look as smooth and flawless as it would with benefit. pores may become more visible if you tend to sweat more.

Despite its flaws, I continue to use BareEscentuals on a dailly basis. It's cheap, keeps my skin clear, not great for special occasions, but it works alright. I think that it's best for those who are starting to wear foundation for the first time, or for those who want a bare-face, natural, no-makeup look. If you want that perfect, porcelain-face look, this probably isn't for you. Just know that there are much much better foundations out there.

on 4/16/2012 4:02:00 AM

I have normal to dry skin, and use the shade "Fairly Light" in the original formula (not Matte) and it is amazing. When I look in the mirror, my skin looks gorgeous. I am very acne prone, and the coverage with this stuff is unbelievable. I wonder if the people who don't like it are using too much product. I tap less than 1/8th of a tablespoon into the lid, and it covers my whole face. I can supply a before and after, unedited, side by side that shows the difference after a 5 minute application. I am also very pale with a yellow undertone, and this blends seamlessly into my neck. I can't tell I'm wearing anything at all. My boyfriend wears white T-Shirts every day, and there is no rub off, either just after application or after a walk in the sun. Bonus: My blackheads are disappearing! My advice: Use less product, tap off all excess, and be firm with the buffing. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it sure works for me!

on 4/5/2012 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I completely agree with the reviewer below - believe me, I bought bare minerals like 293852935 times to convince myself it didn't work for me (literally, was I the only one?). And I have tried and thoroughly tested most of the mineral makeup lines - Jane Iredale, PurMinerals, Youngblood, Bare Escentuals - just to name a few. The composition of minerals or the ingredients that create the 'luminosity' also make me look like a disco ball. I'd rather wear zero makeup and have my face look a bit oily, than have this on and MAGNIFY every single pore (I didn't know I had) and just completely pool in them - and to add to that, the glitter in the pores is the most horrendous look one can have. I believe now (at least it's my theory) that it's the high Mica content in most of the makeups - to give them that glow, light deflecting optical illusion type thing actually ends up getting worse over the day on my oily skin and makes my skin look horrendous. Sure, it looks 'glowy' from 10 feet away, but who would be standing that far away? Let's get real - I want to look my best up close. Ew. Never again. I will never jump on the mineral powder(s) bandwagon, and most definitely not trying any Bare Escentuals product ever again.

on 3/31/2012 10:08:00 PM

Still looking for a HG foundation. This foundation magnified every pore and wrinkle on my face (even ones I didn't know I had!), At first I though it looked great, then moved into a different light - holy cow!!!!what happened. Tried to buff it out, nothing, then got really oily looking in my T zone. Kept trying to perfect it for a week, then I broke out something wild on my chin and forehead. Obviously not the foundation for me. Back to Sephora!!

on 3/31/2012 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using this product for a month now and i have totally broken out in pimples - particularly on my forehead. I have decided today that I am no longer going to use this product. I have never have acne let alone a pimple my whole life - and as soon as i started to use this product my skin erupted with what seems like a life times worth of pimples that i missed out on! on the other hand my sister uses the product and swears by it still - i really just think it depends on your skin type.

on 3/13/2012 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have had this product for a long time now, and I must say it works really well! I would definately recommend it for anyone with oily/combination skin, dry skin(it usually does a nice hydration job), or anyone with uneven skin! The mineral veil honestly works so well, 5 star product for sure!

on 2/16/2012 7:28:00 AM

For years, I was swearing in Chanel's Vita Lumiere & Matte Lumiere foundation. I would now and then try something else, mostly Kanebo and Mac, but would always come back to these two (Vita for winter, Matte for summers) and became certain that no other powder or foundation could provide that perfect mixture of great coverage and glowing, dewy skin.

Then, this autumn in Paris, I saw a starter kit in Light (containing 2 powders, Mineral Veil, Warmth and a primer, plus 3 brushes) for a price that was just slightly higher then what I was intending to spend on my new Chanel foundation. I became seriously tempted after the sales girl did a little demonstration on back of my hand , and in this case my inability to resist a temptation proved to be very beneficial.

Although it seems like you are applying nothing on your skin, every morning I can literally see my pores and any redness vanish before my eyes. My skin looks fresh, glowing, healthy and even - and all that without looking or feeling that you have any make up on. But most of all, I was surprised with staying power and long lasting -I literally don't have any needs for a touch up during the day- and I have oily T zone and before BM I would always have to carry pressed powder and blotting papers with me.

As soon as I finish with this package (it will probably last me for another month-and I bought the kit in November), I will give a Matte version a try.

Yes, I am converted.

on 1/30/2012 1:25:00 PM

I've never written a review on makeup before but I love this product so much I had to do it. For the majority of my life I have struggled with genetic acne. Now I still have some acne, and a lot of scars. I've tried everything under the sun to try to mask my acne and acne scars. From Estee Lauder, Clinique, Shishiedo, Lancome, etc. So I ended up using MAC studio fix fluid cause it was the best coverage that I could find. I would still complain about it and everyone would tell me to use bare minerals. I was always afraid to try a powder like foundation cause i thought it wouldn't give me the coverage that I needed. after countless times lingering around the bare minerals counter and many recommendations I finally let the counter girl apply the bare minerals to my face. When she was done I thought it looked a little weird but i think thats just cause wasnt use to it. but i decided to take home the getting started kit. I've gotten use to applying and i absolutely love this product. I like the way that it blends perfectly, better than any liquid i've ever tried before. The foundation covers well and even better when you use their concelar. It feels like i'm not wearing any makeup at all and it gives me a really natural pretty glow. Buy this product if you are over liquid! take the leap of faith and do it. it is a little pricey but well worth it!