TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Active: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 3, Avobenzone 3. Inactive: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60, Styrene-DVB Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethyhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

This is a great tinted moisturizer! Goes on smooth and provides sheer coverage - enough to even out my skin tone. I just dab concealer on any other flaws that show through. I feel like my skin has even improved with using this! One caveat is that the difference between light-medium (which is what I use) and medium is too drastic; I'm probably somewhere in between. The tones lean a little towards pink, but once on my warm, yellow-undertone skin it works without any weird cast. I do warm it up a bit with a touch of bronzer sometimes. I highly recommend this for barely-any-makeup days!

Best Tinted Moisturizer Ever!! Would recommend to anyone who just wants a hint of makeup.

SADLY, this did break me out. It gave me inflamed, irritated clogs in random places. Two on my nose, two near the hairline, 3 on my chin. Wearing this for a whole week has left my skin notably worse than before. I have sensitive skin, but if you run the ingredients through cosdna one is a 4, meaning it's pretty comedogenic. I'm going back to Nars, which isn't a perfect color match, but has 0 comedogenic ingredients.

Here's my opinion prior to the breakouts:
This sinks into skin more than the LM tm. It's less shiny than the Nars TM, which I like. The lightest Nars TM was too dark for me, so I got this in Lighter than Light and it actually looks too light upon applying, but then oxidizes to a great color. Disappointing it doesn't work for me.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this tinted moisturizer. The price is expensive, as can be expected from a higher end brand. For 64 ml though, it's cheaper than other drugstore brands that sell tinted moisturizer for 30 ml. I have Olive/Tan skin and I have tried the Light/Medium and Medium shades. I tend to be much paler in the winter, but even with one shade, it could work since it's a sheer coverage and doesn't look cakey or heavy.

It's definitely a foundation that should be worn without a lot of concealer under or over. Basically, it's a good moisturizer for clear skin since it won't hide any acne scars or breakouts. I had to stop using this product mid-way through the bottle since I started getting break outs (not from the product) and only used it again when I had less I wanted to conceal.

The pigmentation is good for a tinted moisturizer and the colour matches were good for my skin tone. I think it has a better coverage than other tinted moisturizers I've tried from Physician's Formula because it's less greasy and tends to dry a little more matte.

The finish is really beautiful and definitely looks natural. This is my favorite tinted moisturizer for the summer, since it's easy to apply and tends to last the whole day (or at least wears off naturally). I've even received compliments on my skin when I'm wearing it because it does give off a natural, healthy glow.

The price may put some people off, but at 64 ml in a bottle, that's actually quite affordable. The bottle lasted me about a year and I'll definitely repurchase when I want less coverage. I only have love for this product.

I bought this as part of a promotion and didn't realise there were different shades. I have fairly pale skin, however I accidentally bought the Medium (which was the only shade available where I bought it). At first I thought it was way too dark and I would never use it, but now I use it all the time!

When I'm at the beach or just wearing light makeup I wear it by itself, it doesn't give full coverage so you may not want to wear it for everyday use. Otherwise I mix it with my other foundation which is medium coverage and slightly too pale for me, apply with a Beauty Blender, and together it gives really good results.

I'm about to run out and definitely going to buy more.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hooray for an affordable and high-quality tinted moisturizer. I LOVE this product! I had been a devoted Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer user for a couple years. But lately, I've decided to put more of my money into high-end foundations, like the ByTerry Cover Expert. So for days when I want a lighter face of make up (which is most days), I wanted to try something a little more affordable.

This is a very silky tinted moisturizer; it really helps to hydrate my dry skin. If you have very oily skin, I might not recommend it, but for my dry skin, it absorbed even better than the LM. The consistency of this is much thinner than the LM, but it's provided just as strong coverage. It's also long-lasting; if I definitely want to this last from 9 in the morning until 7 or 8 in the evening, I will put a powder on it. But even without a powder, it lasts for the whole work day. I do generally have to put on a moisturizer before applying this, but this product is so light, I never feel like my face is bogged down in product.

It's also worked well for my (mildly) sensitive skin. I have very red cheeks/nose and this has done an excellent job of controlling my redness. I even can wear a creamy blush with this product which is a first for me.

This product could easily cost $40. But with my amazon prime, it cost $13, plus it is a 2.15 FL oz bottle as opposed to the 1.7 FL you get with NARS or LM. The packaging has an adorable vintage look and the bottle is travel friendly. This has also topped other drugstore tinted moisturizers, such as Aveeno and Neutrogena, which have always looked somewhat grainy and cakey on my face.

In short, I find the difference between this product and the Laura Mercier to be negligible. If you have dry skin and are looking for an affordable tinted moisturizer, then I heartily recommend this one.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have gone through countless tinted moisturizers and was still looking. I really liked NARs tinted moisturizer but at $42.00 a bottle, I thought maybe I should look for a cheaper alternative. I went through Garnier (who hasn't?) etc you name it, I've tried it. The only one that I really liked was Lumene bb cream but I wasn't happy with the shades that they had, even the dark was light to me. I have olive skin and even though I liked the coverage, I looked pasty so I covered it with a darker powder, needless to say I had to keep reapplying the powder! I had read good comments about theBalm and when I saw a deal for $12.00, I thought I am going to try it! Well happily the medium was really a medium and it does last for most of the day. I have normal skin and so far it has worked like a charm!!! The range of colors that they have is amazing!!! Lighter that light, Light, Medium, Medium-Dark, Dark and after Dark. Some people want a heavier coverage, you can add your favorite foundation to this. I find thia product very natural (I like to apply it with my fingers). Highly recommended!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I LOVE this product! It's exactly what I've been searching for: a lightweight product that evens my skin tone, matches my coloring, doesn't fade or streak off, and doesn't cause skin issues.

My skin is NW20, normal with an oily T-zone, and I am not acne-prone. I use this product (in the shade "Light") after applying a few pumps of Clinique DDMG: I agree with the reviewers who stated this is not very moisturizing: unless you're oily, use a bit of moisturizer. My preferred application is to dot it on my face, blend with my fingers, and then finish buffing with a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. The finish is truly flawless: it evens my skin-tone and blends wonderfully. If needed, I use NARS stick concealer over the top, blend that, set my t-zone with powder, then do blush and mascara, and I'm good to go! This product feels like nothing on my skin (I'm a girl who just despises the feel of heavy face products), and I just can't say enough good things about it.

I think of this product as more of a very lightweight foundation than a tinted moisturizer, just because it's not really moisturizing, as I noted above. The coverage is thin (but buildable, to a degree), so if you are looking for freckle or acne coverage, BalmShelter will disappoint you.

On my skin I find that BalmShelter wears very well under powder and a spritz of setting spray (I use UD), and I only have to blot my T-zone a few times throughout the day. It removes easily with cleanser at night, and it hasn't given me any skin problems. The packaging on this product is perfect: a generously sized tube (with a flip-top lid! Yay for no twist-off cap!) that's easy to control the amount you want. (I sort of wish the tube were smaller actually so I could travel with it, heh.) This TM has SPF 18, but I notice no adverse effects, and big thumbs-up that it doesn't feel icky or powdery like a sunscreen either. (I would like a higher SPF, but I'm in the sun for maybe 15 minutes total during the work day...so, meh.)

Again, I'm loving this product to death...I've learned how to sheer it out to my liking, and I wear it pretty much every day. I would repurchase when I run out, but I hope that's not soon because I don't use very much.

$25 at Nordstrom.com for 2.15 fl oz (TSA approved!) in an opaque plastic queeze tube with flip-top/snap-down lid

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It caused terrible allergies on my cheeks. I was really liking the product before that but it is impossible for me to use. Then i gave it to my mother but she had the same problem so we had to throw it away. Other than that it has light coverage, spf 18, it is easy to apply&blend, moisturizing, appropriate for daily makeup.

I got this at tj maxx in a gift set its ok it doesnt have full coverage unless i mix this with a clinique foundation then it gives a full smooth coverage I wouldn't pay full price for this I got it for maybe 10.00 or so at a discount in the shade medium.

Top Rated TheBalm Products