Redken Shades EQ

4.5

I'm a natural redhead and wanted something not too dramatic that would help blend out my grays and perk up my color. I've never colored my hair before but have helped my mom over the years to do her hair. Was considering henna but after talking to the folks at the beauty supply store was convinced to try EQ.

Looked through the color book and the consensus was "cayenne" would be a safe choice. Purchased some shower caps, sectioning clips, and used some gloves I had at home. The process was super easy. Washed and towel-dried my hair, carefully applied the EQ (mixed 1:1 with the developer in a squeeze bottle), popped on a cap and waited 15/20 minutes. I actually rinsed a few minutes early because I was so nervous. I followed with a deep conditioner only as suggested by the beauty supply store (shampoo only before).

(FYI purchased everything at Ray Beauty on 8th Ave in NYC. No frills but they service many who work on Broadway and they really know their stuff. Been there over 50 years. They couldn't have been more helpful. http://raybeauty.net/)

I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was with this product. My color looks brighter, my white hairs are blended in and my hair is beautifully shiny and healthy looking. Have received more than a few compliments and am only 3 days out. Can't wait to see how this color lasts but so far I am very happy with the results. continued >>

This is the best demi or semi-permanent hair color I have found for my hair (I am Korean, my hair is black, silky straight). I just had my hair colored professionally with Redken Shades EQ in Black (the blackest black) and I am extremely happy and everyone (strangers and people I know) have been oohing ahhing however beautiful, rich, glossy, silky, conditioned my hair is. I am extremely satisfied and relieved I used this product.

I only need to cover my greys and as my hair is 5" past my shoulder and cannot afford damage with the long length, I do not use color products w/ ammonia and only have minimal peroxide. In the past I used Goldwell (very good but Redken is more shiny, color a bit more rich and more multi dimensional) and tried Wella once (similar to Goldwell, but color was more flat and not as shiny) until I was shown the light when my hairdresser used Redken Shades EQ on my hair 3 years ago. Not only is the color gorgeous, natural looking but it grows out beautifully. I had my hair colored professionally with this at a salon for $60 (very reasonable for NYC) but it's usually $85 at Bumble & Bumble (single process). The color lasts for 3 - 6 months but grows out beautifully and naturally that I only need to color my hair once a year. I use Clairol Root Touch Up Kit in Black (excellent & super easy to use)) every few months for the grey roots.

I once strayed 2 years ago and had my colored (semi-permanent) at Aveda and it was a disaster. My hair was duller, flatter, and the greys weren't even colored. I was so scared to get my hair colored after that so I stuck to Clairol's Root Touch Kit in black. After 2 years, I realized my hair was 2-3 different shades of black to dark brown. After the Redken color yesterday, I am relieved that I am over my trauma and ready to have my hair colored at least every year again. Try this color - trust me, your hair will be gorgeous and you are worth it :-).

I am 44, have fine (but lots of it) long (5" past shoulders), black, stick straight, silky Korean hair. Slightly oily scalp with dry ends. I use: Frederic Fekkai More Shampoo, Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 & 2 Shampoos (my 2nd rinse staples), Kerastase masques (MasquIntense, Chroma Reflect, UV Defense), Joico (K-Pak deep conditioners), Redken (Extreme Conditioner, All Soft).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I just did my hair with Shades 3V (Dark violet brown) the other day and I LOVE it. It's the exact shade I was looking for--darkish brown with a violet tint, but not a screamin at ya Manic Panic kind of purple. Just a hint of violet and a super shiny dark brown. Application is 1:1 with the low volume developer, which I didn't check when I ordered but I believe is below 10 volume, for deposit only.

I have been nursing my hair back from a bleach blonde disaster last year (of my own making, admittedly) and this is the first demi permanent I've used that has left my hair in super shiny condition, AND was the color--exactly--I wanted. Wella Color Touch is good too, but they didn't have exactly the color I wanted (they have a 3RV, but I didn't want the red).

I ordered off ebay and received in about 4 days. I also got 9V platinum ice and 9N to tone my mom's highlights I do on her--I'll report back after I get that one done!

SOOOOO STOKED!

Hi all,
I just joined this board today... I've had Redken Shades EQ done in a salon a few times a long time ago and liked it. Now I purchased some myself and want to color my hair today... BUT--I have no idea if you're supposed to wash your hair first, apply the color in towel-dry hair and just rinse after coloring... OR apply the color to dry hair and then shampoo after color has processed...??

Please let me know how to proceed, as I wouldn't want to do this any wrong way! Thanks guys for your help!!:)

This hair color is awesome! Just so you know, it is a DEMI-permanent hair color, not a SEMI-permanent, and also not a permanent one. If you don't know the difference, I recommend this website.
(not affiliated)
You apply it to wet hair, not dry. I also didn't notice any weird smells. I dyed my hair 7 weeks ago, and I love the way my color looks even to this day! I don't remember what the name of the color I had died it was, but it was a soft black, very close to an extremely dark brown. And now 7 weeks later, it is still a really dark brown. It has hardly faded. Also, as soon as I got my hair dyed, it conditioned it, gave me softness and shine. My hair has never looked and felt so healthy! I don't plan on re-dying my hair, because the plan was to dye it my natural color, but if I ever dye my hair a demi-permanent color again, I will go back to this!

Well- I started off a bleached platinum blonde- to light brunette. It was beautiful, until it started to fade and turn too gold/orange. I used L'Oreal natural match in light ash brown- which would last about one week and my hair would pull reds and golds. I used Wella Color Charm, mixed 2 med. blond colors w/a blue violet base and added in Adrell red gold corrector. This helped- but still not enough. (photos in profile of hair after the Wella). I came on here looking for advice and red many reviews. Redken was highly recommended. I purchased 7T and 7V, mixed with clear and developer- and viola! Much better toned down hair. There is still a bit of red in it, mostly seen in the sun etc. Much better color that I can live with! (After photos also in profile). Will repurchase- may add a drabber to correct some of the red. Overall- very happy with result. Hair feels good, and shiny.

I started getting my hair professionally colored with this last year. I still love the condition it leaves my hair in, but I am disappointed with how dark and 'muddy' my ends have gotten. The stylist even puts the color on my roots first, leaves it in and only touches up the ends. My hair has not been chemically altered in any other way, either. I am probably only about 15-20% silver, but it is also fading very quickly on the root area and even after color, all the silvers do not uptake the dye.

It was fun for a while, but now that my silvers are coming in fast & furious, I am going to somehow try to have as much of the color removed as possible and let it go natural.

Platinum Ice rules as a toner, if you're bleached blond like me. Just watch it carefully, or you'll end up with purple hair, as happened to me on one occasion.

Now I mix it with at least 50 percent clear -- which I had to buy it by the liter on eBay, unfortunately. On the plus side, it costs about 40 percent less per application this way.

Great color, and the developer is very gentle. My hair always looks shinier and in better condition after I use it. Given the punishment it takes (my natural color is black), that's saying a lot.

I have very fine, part wavy, part straight medium to dark brown hair with a little grey starting. I had it highlighted for years and then started 'coloring' it on my own with drugstore products. After year of that my hair was a strange shade of orange brown and so damaged I had to have a professional fix it. She recommended Redken shades and I fell in love with it. My hair felt glossy and healthier after the first application. The color was so rich and natural looking. Three years later I am still having shades every six weeks or so and I still love it!

I love the way it makes hair feel-with more volume, bounce, and gloss. It also fades slowly so that my greys look like highllights right before I go back in for a touch up. It is very gentle, with very little chemical smell to it. For touchups we do the color on the roots and clear on the ends so that I can still get the volume and gloss that I love all over. Over the years we've also found two different shades colors-one slightly lighter and more natural for summer, and one slightly darker with more red for the winter. I would never switch from this product.

This stuff is great for toners. I love that they have a wide selection and you can custom mix formulas. They really act as a conditioning treatment and leave your hair looking and feeling silky and shiny!!! My HG demi-permanent color!!!!!! Perfect for those with relaxers since the formula is so gentle it will not cause extra damage to the hair. Also good if you would like a temporary change! You can only go darker with this because it does not lift color... because it is demi-permanent!

The things I don't like about shades is that 1. They are extremely runny!!!!! I usually end up making a mess all over the floor and on the clients cape (even when I use the color thickener) 2. They are not true to color. They usually come out darker than expected so always mix a level or two lighter! 3. The smell isn't horrible but it stays in your hair for a few days. 4. Never go to bed with your head wet or this stuff WILL stain your pillow!!!!! I definitely recommend blow drying your hair immediately after shampooing & conditioning, to prevent any staining of clothes!