December 17, 2014 | 1776 users online

Hair Color - Redken - Shades EQ

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2010 12:54:00 PM More reviews by Kukanooks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hi all,
I just joined this board today... I've had Redken Shades EQ done in a salon a few times a long time ago and liked it. Now I purchased some myself and want to color my hair today... BUT--I have no idea if you're supposed to wash your hair first, apply the color in towel-dry hair and just rinse after coloring... OR apply the color to dry hair and then shampoo after color has processed...??

Please let me know how to proceed, as I wouldn't want to do this any wrong way! Thanks guys for your help!!:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2010 1:25:00 PM More reviews by lindsey251

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This hair color is awesome! Just so you know, it is a DEMI-permanent hair color, not a SEMI-permanent, and also not a permanent one. If you don't know the difference, I recommend this website.
(not affiliated)
You apply it to wet hair, not dry. I also didn't notice any weird smells. I dyed my hair 7 weeks ago, and I love the way my color looks even to this day! I don't remember what the name of the color I had died it was, but it was a soft black, very close to an extremely dark brown. And now 7 weeks later, it is still a really dark brown. It has hardly faded. Also, as soon as I got my hair dyed, it conditioned it, gave me softness and shine. My hair has never looked and felt so healthy! I don't plan on re-dying my hair, because the plan was to dye it my natural color, but if I ever dye my hair a demi-permanent color again, I will go back to this!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by sparkledazzle

Well- I started off a bleached platinum blonde- to light brunette. It was beautiful, until it started to fade and turn too gold/orange. I used L'Oreal natural match in light ash brown- which would last about one week and my hair would pull reds and golds. I used Wella Color Charm, mixed 2 med. blond colors w/a blue violet base and added in Adrell red gold corrector. This helped- but still not enough. (photos in profile of hair after the Wella). I came on here looking for advice and red many reviews. Redken was highly recommended. I purchased 7T and 7V, mixed with clear and developer- and viola! Much better toned down hair. There is still a bit of red in it, mostly seen in the sun etc. Much better color that I can live with! (After photos also in profile). Will repurchase- may add a drabber to correct some of the red. Overall- very happy with result. Hair feels good, and shiny.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2009 3:27:00 PM More reviews by BetsyC

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I started getting my hair professionally colored with this last year. I still love the condition it leaves my hair in, but I am disappointed with how dark and 'muddy' my ends have gotten. The stylist even puts the color on my roots first, leaves it in and only touches up the ends. My hair has not been chemically altered in any other way, either. I am probably only about 15-20% silver, but it is also fading very quickly on the root area and even after color, all the silvers do not uptake the dye.

It was fun for a while, but now that my silvers are coming in fast & furious, I am going to somehow try to have as much of the color removed as possible and let it go natural.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2009 4:20:00 PM More reviews by brasscupcakes

Platinum Ice rules as a toner, if you're bleached blond like me. Just watch it carefully, or you'll end up with purple hair, as happened to me on one occasion.

Now I mix it with at least 50 percent clear -- which I had to buy it by the liter on eBay, unfortunately. On the plus side, it costs about 40 percent less per application this way.

Great color, and the developer is very gentle. My hair always looks shinier and in better condition after I use it. Given the punishment it takes (my natural color is black), that's saying a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2009 11:07:00 AM More reviews by Furchild

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very fine, part wavy, part straight medium to dark brown hair with a little grey starting. I had it highlighted for years and then started 'coloring' it on my own with drugstore products. After year of that my hair was a strange shade of orange brown and so damaged I had to have a professional fix it. She recommended Redken shades and I fell in love with it. My hair felt glossy and healthier after the first application. The color was so rich and natural looking. Three years later I am still having shades every six weeks or so and I still love it!

I love the way it makes hair feel-with more volume, bounce, and gloss. It also fades slowly so that my greys look like highllights right before I go back in for a touch up. It is very gentle, with very little chemical smell to it. For touchups we do the color on the roots and clear on the ends so that I can still get the volume and gloss that I love all over. Over the years we've also found two different shades colors-one slightly lighter and more natural for summer, and one slightly darker with more red for the winter. I would never switch from this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2009 1:59:00 PM More reviews by iheartalize

This stuff is great for toners. I love that they have a wide selection and you can custom mix formulas. They really act as a conditioning treatment and leave your hair looking and feeling silky and shiny!!! My HG demi-permanent color!!!!!! Perfect for those with relaxers since the formula is so gentle it will not cause extra damage to the hair. Also good if you would like a temporary change! You can only go darker with this because it does not lift color... because it is demi-permanent!

The things I don't like about shades is that 1. They are extremely runny!!!!! I usually end up making a mess all over the floor and on the clients cape (even when I use the color thickener) 2. They are not true to color. They usually come out darker than expected so always mix a level or two lighter! 3. The smell isn't horrible but it stays in your hair for a few days. 4. Never go to bed with your head wet or this stuff WILL stain your pillow!!!!! I definitely recommend blow drying your hair immediately after shampooing & conditioning, to prevent any staining of clothes!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2009 2:53:00 AM More reviews by MiaMoore

I've been using Shades EQ for over three years and I love everything about it! Huge shade range and glossy, predictable results...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2009 8:04:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

I use this product in the Platinum to tone my bleached highlights. Sometimes, we will mix a bit of Silver to it. My hair pulls red, so I love these shades as they have a bit of violet/blue to them. As others have noted, when you use this as a demi it does not last more than a couple of weeks but it does add a nice glaze to the hair shaft. Have also used the Mojave, a darker ash blonde, with good results.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2009 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Daphne1988

Ive used this product a couple of times in school and for some reason I didnt like it, I think it was the consistency. I really dont remember. But I just recently used this product on my sister in law on her highlights and it looked great! I actually plan on using this product again. I also love it because its deposit only so for example if its a light color it willl only dye the bleached areas or lighter areas, it wont lighten a dark area. Not messy at all! I also would like to add that redken has awesome colors! I love the KICKERs. I actually love any redken product!