October 24, 2014 | 1811 users online

Treatments (Face) - Prosacea

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by kelseyclinton

Definately didn't work for me. I have really sensative skin with moderate to severe rosacea and acne (for reference) and I cnt use BP and SA does nothing for me so I thought I would give this a try since I never tried anything sulfur based. The day after I used it my face broke out worse than ever and it didn't help the redness at all. I used it for about three days because I thought maybe it would take a little time for it to work, but once I stopped using it my face got a lot better and I was so relieved. All I can say is that if you react badly to it in the first 48 hrs just stop using it and get your money back because it's not worth it at that point. The smell is really strong and lasts for hours (not exagerating), I would only use a pea sized amount and the smell was so overwhelming it would make my eyes water and my throat hurt if you can believe it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2010 9:29:00 AM More reviews by NancyM

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I have mild to moderate rosacea that has been diagnosed by a derm and have tried Metrocream and other medications from him but haven't really loved them. I also hardly used them because my skin wasn't really that bad and I could control my redness and inflammation with OTC products like Salycilic Acid (aka aspirin) and primers.

This winter in Boston has been brutally cold and windy and my cheeks really flared up so I thought I'd give this a try based on the recommendations here. BIG MISTAKE.

As I applied it, I could feel my skin burning and stinging. When the product was dry, my cheeks were red and inflammed. They felt hot to the touch and they hurt.

A while later, my cheeks got bumpy, which has NEVER happened to me before.

After four days of chamomile compresses and other topicals , my skin is finally starting to calm down.

I'm actually shocked at the intense reaction I had to this product because I have used sulfur based products from the derm before.

I am horrified at this product and what it did to my skin. I wish I had taken pictures so I could send them to whomever makes this stuff.

If you really, really have derm diagnosed rosacea and are having an active flare-up stay away from this. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2010 7:06:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

If you tried this product and liked the results initially, but then found it way too drying to the point of irritation(like myself), there is way you can still use this. I loved the results the first time using this. The redness in my cheeks was gone, so were any pores it seemed! But then my very dry, reactive, sensitive skin didn't allow me to use this again;( However, I now use Alba's Un-Petroleum under it and it works quite well. I can tolerate it and my skin looks a lot better.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2009 9:58:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

saw this on the shelf at walgreens the other day & im at my witts end trying to find makeup that covers my red areas on my face. their not as bad as some ive seen but its enough to bug me. anywho the first time i used it it burned but after that its ok. the redness is going away,theres still pink but id rather have some coloring to my skin so i dont look dead. its expensive but no more than buying foundation so id rather spend the money on this and be able to wander around w/out makeup then to have to keep applying makeup that prob makes the prob. worse. its great for zits too!
update:
added another lippie,this stuff does seem to be keeping my skin undercontrol! i havent had to use any exfoliator or anything really on my face since a few days after i started using this stuff. i quit using it to see what would happen,to see if it was the cream that was making my skin better and...i broke out in zits on my cheeks again, the redness started creeping back up and my pores were huge! so right back to the cream i go.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2009 11:32:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

If your acne does not respond to Benzoyl or SA, you should try this. My skin errupted a couple of months ago. I am not sure whether it was because of hormones or food but there was a mess around my chin and bottom lip. I tried every thing under the sun and they did not work. I came across this product by sheer coincidence. This is for rosacea and acne both. I was so desperate that I had to give it shot and it WORKED. It dries the area but overall, it is fantastic in calming the redness and bumps. Within a couple of usage, my skin looked and felt better. This can be incorporated in any skin care regimen and it will prevent acne or skin erruption. Products like Bye Bye Blemish also contain Sulfur like this product but this works 500 times better in keeping skin smooth in fast recovery. Excellent product and highly recommended.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2009 4:42:00 AM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had such high hopes for this product. I have sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea and thought this might be that one two punch I was looking for. I have to agree with one of the reviews on the first page. The smell was so disgusting and offensive that I too felt like I was going to be sick. It got worse as the night went on just like it did for the other reviewer and I began to get nauseated. They weren't kidding when people said to never let your face get wet while wearing this. OMG my face smelled like rotten eggs and death literally. It activated the sulphur and stunk so badly that I really thought I was going to vomit. I am desperate for a cure, but not that desperate! Holy Toledo! Seriously words are not adequate. I am sure this is a fabulous product if you are one of those Zicam users that lost your sense of smell!

In the few hours I was able to tolerate this on my skin, I noticed that it was already making a major impact on my acne (I could literally feel my blemishes drying up and healing). This would probably be a fabulous product if you could somehow tolerate the intense and nauseating scent that only grows stronger as the day wears on (I think this may have something to do with the oils in our skin). If they can take the stink out of Garlic for certain supplements, you would think they could somehow find a way to mask this incredibly obnoxious odor. If it were not for the rotten egg smell, I would probably love this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2009 6:44:00 PM More reviews by glitterboo

It is drying to skin so I use a thick moisturizer but it's the only over the counter treatment that has done anything to help my moderate rosacea. Using this product I have only a little bit of redness but no acne, bumps or anything else. After the first two weeks my face was really irritated and worse than ever but after that it was a miracle and it cleared up.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2009 6:11:00 PM More reviews by genahy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

In a year when my acne flared up, and I developed contact dermatitis and broken capillaries, I discovered that--oh joy!--I have rosacea too. This was the only OTC option I saw in my local Rite-Aid, so I grabbed it. My results were mixed. It works very well on chronic red nose blotchiness, but not as well in random, less red blotches, or on rosacea bumps. Of course, I don't use it regularly, so maybe that's the problem. No drying, pleasant texture. Certainly worth a shot if you have rosacea. It's supposed to be good for acne, but I have my doubts. Also, it won't do a thing for broken capillaries, but then again, little will.

UPDATE: I began using this in a preventative way (every night) to decrease my acne. Broke me out, made rosacea worse. I doubt I will ever use again. If so, only a dab on a bump and that's it. BEWARE if you are allergic to sulfur. I had the same issue with DDF's Sulfur mask that everyone and their grandmother loves.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2009 9:32:00 PM More reviews by dorkiexcici

i'm very fortunate that this worked on my stubborn itchy acne. (for example my SD!!!!) much better than using bp or sa, IMO. also it's non comodegenic too which is great. one tiny flaw was the smell, didn't like it. but it can't replace the fact that it helped my acne which is a big plus to me

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2008 12:59:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This the only thing that helps make my skin look "normal". I suffer from mild adult acne and I've tried just about everything under the sun to help. Most acne medications do clear up pustular pimples, but they always leave me with milia, dark spots and severely inflamed skin as a result of the drying agents. Prosacea smooths the surface of my skin and relieves the redness. It doesn't help 100%, but it's the best thing I've found so far. I guess my skin just agrees with sulfur.

There is one thing (isn't there always? LOL). If I use this continuously, it seems to give me a couple of blackheads in the t-zone (a place I rarely break out). So although it really helps with the redness and irritation, I do have to put this away a couple days a week and use my trusty aspirin mask to keep this problem in check.