November 28, 2014 | 1608 users online

Treatments (Face) - Evening primrose oil

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2013 6:30:00 PM More reviews by LC2rd

So I've been taking primrose oil for a week now, pill form by Spring Valley, after reading about it in a Forum for Acne straight off the pill. It has its own thing to deal with hormones, apparently though I'm not too convinced that its up there with the pill, but it is also supposed to help with facial redness due to inflammatory aids. Basically I just went off the pill and my jawline/chin has broken out severely. Its all hormonal so instead of loading up on topicals I thought I'd look at internal aids.

Besides just consuming the pill I pricked it the other night to use on my face as I enjoy Argan Oil too. I used less than half a capsule to coat my face. The next morning my skin was glowy but nothing too big. Fast forward a couple days and the biggest surprise: When I took my foundation off my skin was soooo even that it still looked like I was wearing foundation. The redness in my acne decreased hugely.

At night besides the primrose oil I tend to use Dove for Sensitive skin as a face wash, my cousin who once had horrible cystic acne now has beautiful radiant skin after using this stuff. Its just the 1.00 bar from the store in the green package. I then tend to use a q-tip dipped in Listerine to spot treat my acne. It dries them out and kills the bacteria but that is it. That is the only reason I use it, not to make them disappear. Killing bacteria and diminishing acne are two different things. Usually I use Oil of Olay as my moisturizer and final step, but in the summer my skin gets really dry and so I've been using Garnier Moisture Rescue gel.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by cchun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing! I get hormonal acne and acne from dry winter weather, and this did wonders for my skin (and PMS)! At first I only took one 1300 mg capsule a day and it was clearing up my skin up a little but not dramatically. Then I started taking 2 x1300 mg capsules a day and within weeks my skin cleared up! I still get little pimples here and there but this stuff really saved my skin. You can use this topically as well - your skin will literally glow the next day. It has also helped get rid of my PMS symptoms - I would get just about everything (awful cramps, fatigue, bloat). My only regret is not knowing about this sooner! I highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by sbowlchica

BEST. STUFF. EVER. This stuff has saved my skin.

I originally stumbled upon it for hair loss... it didn't do much in that department, if anything, but the difference in my skin is amazing!

My acne is hormonal-- usually, I only get pimples on the week before my period and sometimes the week of. I figured out that this was because I had low estrogen. If you have high estrogen, I don't recommend this... you've got to find out what works for you.

Here's how to find out:

I take 3 capsules/day on the weeks before and during my period and 1/day on the non-weeks. What it does is help to balance out hormones during that stressful time. And, in conjunction with avoiding foods that spike blood sugar, and in turn, hormones (sugars and carbs) on those weeks, I hardly ever get any acne!

I still have dry skin, so sometimes I'll break open a capsule and put the oil directly on my face. It's anti-inflammatory: it takes down the swelling of some of the bumps under the skin. It has evened out my skin tone and made my skin a lot more moisturized. I'll blot the excess oil and my skin doesn't get greasy or anything... I never wear foundation anymore because I don't need to!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 11:59:00 AM More reviews by kanka999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This has changed my skin in a week! I'm 41 and have dealt with acne-prone skin since my teens. I've tried everything.....from low to high end, prescriptions to laser treatment, accutane, natural oils....the list goes on. I recently bought some evening primrose from Trader Joe's because I heard it helped with PMS symptoms and I've been having occasional night sweats (maybe I'm perimenopausel?). Anyway, I then looked on here to see what or if there were any reviews on it. I saw some MUAer's were pearcing the pills with a pin and using the oil topically on their skin so of course I thought...why not? I only use 1 to drops and then mix it with some rose water and pat all over my face. I use more oil on my back and chest. OMG my skin has made a 180. It's soft, clear, acne scars are healing quickly and my skin is glowing! The oil doesn't clog me at all. I have bacne as well and my back feels so smooth....and it never does!!! I'm sure it's the combo of taking it internally as well as topically but I'll update in a month to see if I'm getting the same effects.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by hollieua

I bought EPO capsules a few days ago b/c I heard that it is good for controlling hormonal acne and also works at plumping your skin. Last night I decided to use it topically. I was terrified that it would break me out bc EVERYTHING breaks me out. I woke up this morning and was pleasantly surprised that my skin was a lot less oily than usual and it did seem to be more plump. I am very excited to see what the effects will be the longer I use it! I am starting Retin-A tonight, so I hope this will help combat initial purging and irritation!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 12:01:00 AM More reviews by northerngal100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this product topically 2-3 times per week. I generally buy the capsules (the smaller dose ones!) and puncture them as needed. I usually apply at night and do a bit of a face massage to work the product in. A little goes a long way - but since its night, it doesn't really matter if it looks a tad greasy. If my skin is extra dry, I will sometimes rub into my skin when I wake up, make breakfast, etc. then just wash it off in the shower.

This oil is a great, inexpensive, and effective moisturizing treatment for dry, sensitive, and breakout prone skin. Since using, my skin looks more hydrated (glowy), plumped, and smoother. I haven't noticed it clogging my pores at all. In fact, I find it gets rid of those little flakes that are blackheads waiting to happen.

Will definitely continue to purchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

***This review is for internal use, pill form. Contact your doctor first.***

I LOVE this!! I take this for my skin. I started taking this before I found out that a lot of my acne was based on product reactions, and it STILL prevented any cystic pimples from that moment on. I still have not gotten ONE. I had a few surface ones (due to products), but when I stopped the product, those pretty much stopped too. I'm down to blackheads and whiteheads which I'm now trying to find out if that is product caused as well. But this is a miracle. No more painful acne!! Now if I could only stop picking at my face I'd be good....

As a side, I have popped capsules and used on my face. I don't know if that works for me because it may clog a little, but it's in a vitamin e base and some people swear by that as a good moisturizer for their face. I've used it on open cuts/popped pimples to reduce inflammation and heal them. But internally, I love it.

As far as for menstrual issues, I have normal/heavy periods since taking it, and didn't find any changes. I also had some breast pain which I didn't have before, but similar to cramps, I only get those symptoms occasionally. I don't think its from the pills. I started this because I thought my acne was due to hormone imbalances (which it could be in part) but it hasn't changed my cycle at all. Maybe because my periods aren't so life altering for me (except for the tiredness I get). If you have severe symptoms, it might help. But it definitely helps skin!

***Update*** I had reordered these a few times and gone through a few bottles, but recently when I was out, I decided to try and stop taking them and see if I still broke out the same amount. I was still getting about one pimple a day, with bumps and blackheads too. Same dice. Maybe it really doesn't do a lot? Maybe I was just reacting to products before I had tried this and possibly still am now. I guess everyone is different but I stopped spending my money on it, because I don't think it's really doing much after all :( I have also switched products around many times and I still do break out. I do believe that I am very sensitive and react to pretty much everything I put on my face but I don't think my acne is hormonal. I think some of it just comes up regardless, but I have seen certain products create a different kind of acne reaction so I know that's a major part of it. But for whatever aspect of my issues are indeed internal, this didn't *stop* them either. Since nothing works topically to clear me totally, despite trying, I am on Omegas again and maybe it will help but I doubt it. This just didn't do enough for me. Bummer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by snoopy68

I have never tried EPO internally, as I'm very lucky that I do not experience severe menstrual issues or PMS. I use EPO mixed with Rosehip Seed Oil as my night treatment. I mix about 5-6 drops of Rosehip Seed Oil with a few drops of EPO and massage it into my entire face, outside area of ears (don't forget that area, ladies!), neck, and entire chest area. I notice a huge difference in my skin when I use the two of these in conjunction. My skin is clearer, plumped, and glowing in the morning. No chemicals, no preservatives - just pure, natural, healing oils. I do not use EPO or Rosehip Seed Oil during the day as it would be too oily for me, but it is hands down the best night treatment in the world. I buy the Now brand for both oils and both will run me less than $20.00 and last for a few months or more. So, this is a very inexpensive facial treatment as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by anakay44

I really like this oil. I got it in bottle form for skin and hair, but I haven't gotten to using it for that because I also got a lot of different ones and I have not gotten to using it yet. BUT I did use it for the following...
I was experiencing strange menstrual stuff. My period is usually pretty regular, although in recent months I've had these crazy symptoms. Like I've been loosing more hair than usual, nearly half of one of my eyebrows is gone, I've lost quite some weight which I can't seem to get back, and other things. Well this was the first time my period was late. It was like 5 days past when I should be getting it and I was worried, and I read that EPO could help so I took some in the afternoon, and by morning I got my friend! I was actually never so glad to be visited by mother nature haha

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 7:51:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I've been taking these orally for the last few weeks. The brand that I brought (Cenovis) advertise it to be for Menstrual and Breast pain. I don't don't have any problem with my cycle at all. My breast on the other hand gets sharp aches from time to time. I assure everyone I've seen the doctors numerous times, numerous awkward and uncomfortable appointments, and it is confirmed, nothing to worry about, apparently it's normal.
I purchase this randomly cause I saw the word Breast Pain on the bottle, no thoughts or research, no time wasted I was taking this orally 2-3 times a day.

My breast pain didn't go away, but the burst of random sharp aches, reduced significantly. Before I would get sharp pain on a daily basis, oftenly and randomly. Now I notice it's just really random and less frequent that i actually don't remember when the last time it happened.
There was a lot of changes to my skin though, that not only myself, but my everyone around me seemed to notice.
I get acne every now and then, but not as often anymore, my face has been oily in the recent months for some unapparent reason. Anyway the acne would take forever to heal, but I notice since taking EPO, my oily face has reduce quiet a lot and the acne or any skin blemishes/cut and bruises heals a lot quicker.

I later did some research on EPO, only after about 2 months of taking it did I realise it was good for skin, menstrual cycle and hormones. Some websites did mention reduction in breast pain, but it wasn't mention as often as skin and menstrual. After doing the research, I was pleasantly surprise and happy that, my skin seems good, and my breast doesn't hurt as bad.
One side effect that was mention and I did see with myself is GAS LOL(Please don't laugh :) ). After every time I take EPO, about 20 minutes after I'm burping like crazy, even if I haven't ate or drank anything beside water with the EPO. My partner says better burping then being the other sort of gas. the burping isn't permanent, and its only after I consume the EPO, and its only happens for about 30 minutes.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No