November 24, 2014 | 1926 users online

Fragrances - Vanderbilt

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 1:52:00 PM More reviews by JonMoss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Nicely done carnation. Feminine and elegant yet so soft.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2007 5:02:00 PM More reviews by takemyhusbandplz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'd rate this 3.5 lippies. On my skin Vanderbilt is pure carnation, mimosa, rose, and other spicy floral notes. When I wear Vanderbilt (to steal a line from West Side Story) I feel pretty- oh, so pretty! Vanderbilt is uber-feminine! I've had Vanderbilt in my wardrobe since I was 11 years old. A classic!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2007 6:44:00 AM More reviews by MellyHelly

Strangely enough this American scent has been quite common in Europe for years, so that I could find it on drugstore shelves together with deodorant and Anais Anais products.
It was popular among mothers when I was around 16, many years ago…
I used to wear it with pleasure, but never felt completely mine. It surely was more refined than cheap scents I used to purchase at drugstores.
The scent is overall quite powerful, but notes are mostly romantic floral and very powdery from top to drydown.
It gave me a sense of deluxe, delicate atmospheres, lilac and white swan elegance, romantic femininity without sexual features, princess-like dreams. It was an attempt to affirm my way of being woman at an age when I felt ugly and clumsy and thought that the world around me was aggressive and sexually gross. Not that I don't think like that now, but you know, I could appreciate a little more of aggressive way once in a while.
EdP was better than EdT.
Next time I come across it I will sniff it again for memory purposes.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2007 10:31:00 PM More reviews by colorfulme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Christmas of 1995, my aunt gave me, my sister and 2 cousins a bottle of this perfume. I remember we were all excited to get perfume as a present. Well, neither my cousins nor my sister liked it, at that time they (as were all of us) were much more impressed by citrusy fragrances like CKOne. But I loved it since the first time I spayed it on. I remember that this was the only perfume I wore when I was in high school, because I loved it, and also because I didn't have money to purchase a different one. I remember getting compliments from girls in my classroom, and back then guys would follow me around the school halls. Sure, I was young, fresh and pretty back then, but there were other much perttier girls in school, and not many guys cared for them. I belive this perfume had a lot to do with my popularity with boys then. Later in life I wore other perfumes, but none made me feel as pretty, femenine and elegant as this one does. I finished my original bottle a little after high school, and had sort of forgotten about the fragrance but a couple of months ago I was visiting my parents and I was in my sister's room (my sister still lives there) and she took out this very dusty lavendar colored box, with the familiar white swan in front and asked if I cared to have it, because she wasn't gonna wear it and meant to throw it away. I took the box, opened it and took out the pretty bottle, removed the gold cap and sniffed. It was like seeing the first boyfriend you really loved (in my case, his name is Gabriel and he was my first and greatest love), and he looks much more handsome than you remember, and suddenly you're falling in love all over again, but this time it should be better, because you both have matured. That's what this perfume is like to me, my first love, my greatest love, and possibly my only true love. As for Gabriel, my first human love, I finally had the courage to call him, after 5 years of not talking to him, because, just as I love and missed this fragrance, I guess I still love him and miss him. I called him today (long distance, he moved to another city). I was so happy to hear his voice, I almost jumped from the sofa, but he wasn't, the first thing he asked me was "why are you calling me?", then the rest of the conversation just went worse, he couldn't wait to hang up. I guess I'll just have to live the rest of my life knowing that I've forever lost the man I consider "my one true love", and that we can't even be friends. So, in that case, I hope my life is a short one. It's good to have my great perfume love with me, though.

13 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2007 3:53:00 AM More reviews by magnificent

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I totally agree with both reviews!!!
Vanderbilt was created by Sophia Grojsman, a great perfumer/nose. Vanderbilt is a sumptuous fragrance! A MASTERPIECE!!!! It's here to stay!!!!
I'm a huge fan of Sophia Grojsman, a great and successful perfumer. She created many beautiful perfumes, which I adore. Her fragrances are pure femininity. All her fragrances smell delicious(!) fruity-soft, warm and ultra-womanly. Timeless, classy and unique fragrance-beauties for young and "old" women!! Her perfume-creations are a dream/imagination of a wonderful, irresistible woman: Inviting, alluring, elegant, graceful, vulnerable, warm and sensual. Perfumes created by Sophia Grojsman include for example:

Boucheron Jaipur (1994, with Jean Pierre Mary)
Bvlgari Pour Femme (1994)
Calvin Klein Eternity (1988)
Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Rubies
Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds (1991)
Estee Lauder Spellbound (1991)
Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars
Lalique Parfum Lalique (1992)
Lancome Tresor (1990)
Lancome Tresor Sparkling (2007, with Alienor Massenet)
Laura Biagiotti Sotto Voce
Gloria Vanderbilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paloma Picasso Tentations (1996, with Max Gavarry)
Perry Ellis 360
Prescriptives Calyx (1986)
Yves Rocher Neblina
Yves Saint Laurent Paris (1983)
Yves Saint Laurent Paris Premieres Roses (2003, with Dominique Ropion & Laurent Bruyere)
Yves Saint Laurent Yvresse (formerly Champagne, 1993).
SO PLEASE ENJOY!!!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2006 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Mr_Mellow

I am a huge fan of floral perfumes. Since my eleventh birthday when I began getting my twice-monthly haircuts at a classic British barber, I have been a "5 sensitive senses" guy. This barber had hundreds of fragrances lining his mirrored walls and counters, including everything from Creed, Yardley, Stephans, Mennen, Acqua di Parma, 4711, Pinaud, Caswell, Victor and Shulton, as well as dozens of other scents imported from France, Germany and the Caribbean. Over the years I sampled every one of those fragrances and enjoyed how fresh the finish on my haircuts made me feel.

I worked in a drugstore as a preteen and many of the sophisticated women who bought Chanel No. 22 or Bois des Iles, Lentheric's Tweed, Lauder's Youth Dew or Houbigant's Fougere Royale seemed to notice my fragrances and could identify them in a complimentary way. So I tried to learn how to identify the fragrances these wordly and usually attractive women wore (including the fragrances our drugstore didn't carry). Over the years I learned that I loved the florals best of all.

That may be why Vandebilt is one of my super favorites, along with Joy, Amazone, Oscar de la Renta, Norell, Chanel 22, Flora Danica, Chloe (the original), Mille, Raffinee and even Sophia. The women I've known who wear Vanderbilt also put it into their Top 10s. These floral fragrances represent a wide variety of perspectives on classic femininity, but they just seem to have a hypnotic effect on me and most of the men I know. Normally I prefer to review fragrances that I wear (men's, unisex or borderline like Fendi/Fendi), but if a perfume is worn by enough women I know personally, then I will consider giving my opinions on the fragrance as well as theirs.

First I should say that Vanderbily perfume seems to be compatible with the chemistry of almost every woman I've known. That is important if one gives gifts of perfume, because you want the receiver to be able to use the fragrance. And that's the way it seems to be with Vanderbilt. Perhaps mixing a bit of pineapple and green into the floral top notes helps chemistry-wise. The key top note of orange blossom is also pretty acceptable to most women. The middle is pure classic Female-ness expressed in all florals (French Jasmin, Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation, Rose and Orris). It's just Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang with one flowery bullet after another going straight through a man's sense of smell and aroma palette right to his heart, bypassing the brain completely. Sometimes it goes right through my heart and down to a more primitive level but that is more likely when a super-heated woman's skin/flesh blasts this fragrance right through me. Oh ... By The Way, did I say that on exactly the RIGHT woman, Vanderbilt can be very sensual and way beyond the norm for a flowery, pretty-girl fragrance. So don't wear Vanderbilt if the sound of breathy panting unsettles you ... unless you enjoy being unsettled.

The basenotes mix the more expensive components like opoponax, sandalwood and civet, with the more common vetiver, musk, vanilla and cinnamon. Vanderbilt works well on hot days or in the "heat" of the evening. It delivers a really sultry and erogenic shot to the senses. While Vanderbilt has good staying power, it doesn't project way out into a room unless you bathe in it (Think about it, you wouldn't want just EVERY man in a room after you, WOULD you??). Vanderbilt seems to have become less expensive over the years (hard to imagine with price inflation), so I hope they aren't cheapening the product. But women who have worn Vanderbilt for at least 6 or 7 years say that new bottles seem to pack the same wallop of "Men's Desire" that their first bottle had. As a designer label Vanderbilt doesn't have the same cache it had 20 years ago, but the perfume still rocks bigtime. Perhaps I'm revealing too much of a weakness for this fragrance ... but then again, my women friends who wear it can see that in my "eyes" anyway. Enjoy!!! continued >>

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No