Estee Lauder Tom Ford Black Orchid

3.7

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Just became one of my absolute favorite fragrances for evening. This is perfect for the upcoming cool weather. It's sexy, a bit heavy, slightly masculine with a sweet undertone that isn't overpowering. It is definitely NOT for everyone ~ I bought it unsniffed as I had a feeling this one was right up my alley - and it is. This is a definite attention-getter and superbly unique and has great lasting power (almost too much in a way, don't spray it on clothing you don't plan on washing before wearing again unless you want to smell like this). I adore it! Definite repurchase!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This one was a bit much for me. It is undoubtedly sexy, in a deep, sultry kind of way. When I smell Black Orchid I think of Lauren Bacall and Katherine Hepburn. Women that were very strong yet feminine. The notes are blended well. Of course, the orchid is the most apparent note, but the leather and tobacco notes are quite noticeable. This is the signature scent of a good friend of mine. She dresses in a slightly masculine way and has a strong personality. This fragrance suits her perfectly. I suppose this just works best on women with an air of boldness to their character. I'm pleased with the lasting power, but not with the packaging. Not that it isn't chic, but it is opaque. This makes figuring out exactly how much is left in the bottle tricky. I love how luxurious this smells most of all. It is clearly not a cheap fragrance. One sniff is all you need to understand that. The muskiness in it is a perfect match for the floral note. Lovely scent, but doesn't suit me personally.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I first sampled this fragrance while in Harvey nicks.
I sprayed it onto a card and kept on sniffing untill I knew I'd buy it one day.
The scented card was placed into my shopping bag containing my new DKNY scarf.
I ordered the 100ml from Boots online it arrived today.
I am in love with the dark peppery sexual scent,slight sweetness,a mixture of male and female spice.

Beautiful bottle but the juice has little to do with it's glam deco packaging. I was so looking forward to smelling this from the description and the bottle, so when I got a large sample from Sephora I couldn't wait to try. Wow, this juice is a hot mess. Absolute quease-inducing vile nightmare. Suffocatingly heavy and sweet. Like rotting candy (if candy could rot) and fruit. Absolutely not this dark, mysterious, sexy fragrance that the bottle, description and ad campaign would lead you to believe. Sickly sweet and heavy, what was Tom Ford thinking? Never before hated a scent so much that I threw away it's sample but this was vomitous.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

*** EDIT : Apparently, men love this fragrance but women hate it. I'm been told by three men that I smelled really good with this on. One of them told me : "It's exactly the type of perfume I like." On the other hand, my mom hates it because of the patchouli in it and a woman at work asked me not to wear it because it smelled too strong. It sucks that I can't wear this fragrance on any occasion but still, I won't stop wearing it to please people. Bottom line, I don't wear this during summer or at work, but I do wear it to school. Plus, this has definately become, along with CK Euphoria and Dior Hypnotic Poison, my go-to scent for nights out.

// I definately will repurchase even though it costs a pretty penny! Let me explain my experience with this fragrance. First of all, I really like the smell of orchids. I have worn CK Euphoria for 2-3 years and I still like it. Another fragrance I own and love, Guess Gold, has orchids in it. Knowing this taste of mine, I was really intrigued when I first heard of this perfume. I read many reviews about it and found out there were a lot of other notes I would normally like in this fragrance, such as vanilla, sandalwood and amber. Plus, I like strong fragrances that last, project well and catch people's attention. I wanted something unique that people either loved or hated. That perfume definately has all these qualities to it. I became a little obsessed with this fragrance because I knew I was bound to love it, although I had never smelled it! I was disappointed because I couldn't find a place nearby where this perfume was sold. I tried to content myself with the perfumes I already had and liked, but still I had this fragrance on the back of my mind. I finally decided I had to find this perfume and smell it. When I did, I was IMMEDIATELY sold, at first sniff! Everything about this perfume pleased me. It is very special - sweet and spicy, creamy and sharp, feminine with that masculine cologne-y smell which I love. I kept smelling this for 10-15 minutes knowing I would buy it no matter what - like that scent was meant to be mine. I paid about 130 $ CDN including tax for a 50 ml bottle. I remember taking out my sunglasses from my purse and wondering what smelled so good, then remembering that I had kept a paper with this perfume on at the same place, a week or more before!

Note : I smelled TF Tobacco Vanille fragrance at the store and it reminds me of a much simpler version of Black Orchid, since Tobacco Vanille smells smoky and has vanilla in it.

When I first smelled it, I did not like it sooo much. I sprayed it on my arm and after a few minutes the smell changed, became softer and warmer. I like it, but it's really not a subtle fragrance, only for evening. When i put it on I only got compliments, especially from guys.

Simply put, it's sex in a bottle. Definitely not a scent for everyone, but I love it. I receive many compliments when I wear it. It is a heavier scent, so I mainly use it during fall/winter.

What a wonderful feminine sensuous perfume! The scent is heady and immense, definitely an evening scent. I absolutely love the blackcurrant in it. The bottle is sleek and luxurious.I have several perfumes for different seasons and moods and Black Orchid has become a staple in my collection. I can' get enought of this scent!

Clearly the reviews are mixed but I really love this. Heavy, sophisticated, sexy, fun, for night-time use (not day-time). I will use it and wear it and enjoy it. I'm glad I bought it. Saasy.

Heavy on the overripe fruit, rich florals, pretty intense at the start. It's deep and lush and gourmand, but not exactly cloying. I don't mind it but it's really too much of an attention-seeker for me, not my style at all. I only tested it on my wrist, and about four to five hours after application, I noticed that I had developed an irritating, itchy red rash in the exact spot I had applied the perfume. I washed it off straight away and am very glad I didn't try it someplace more delicate. If it wasn't a no-buy before, it definitely is a no-buy for me now. (I've only had one other perfume-related skin allergy, and that was to Lancome Tresor.)

Popular Fragrances