April 20, 2014 | 1725 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 9:57:00 AM More reviews by Rory90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

When I first smelled it, I did not like it sooo much. I sprayed it on my arm and after a few minutes the smell changed, became softer and warmer. I like it, but it's really not a subtle fragrance, only for evening. When i put it on I only got compliments, especially from guys.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2010 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Wookiee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Simply put, it's sex in a bottle. Definitely not a scent for everyone, but I love it. I receive many compliments when I wear it. It is a heavier scent, so I mainly use it during fall/winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2010 11:44:00 AM More reviews by Bonnerka

What a wonderful feminine sensuous perfume! The scent is heady and immense, definitely an evening scent. I absolutely love the blackcurrant in it. The bottle is sleek and luxurious.I have several perfumes for different seasons and moods and Black Orchid has become a staple in my collection. I can' get enought of this scent!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 10:17:00 PM More reviews by cainca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Clearly the reviews are mixed but I really love this. Heavy, sophisticated, sexy, fun, for night-time use (not day-time). I will use it and wear it and enjoy it. I'm glad I bought it. Saasy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 8:03:00 PM More reviews by fivezero

Heavy on the overripe fruit, rich florals, pretty intense at the start. It's deep and lush and gourmand, but not exactly cloying. I don't mind it but it's really too much of an attention-seeker for me, not my style at all. I only tested it on my wrist, and about four to five hours after application, I noticed that I had developed an irritating, itchy red rash in the exact spot I had applied the perfume. I washed it off straight away and am very glad I didn't try it someplace more delicate. If it wasn't a no-buy before, it definitely is a no-buy for me now. (I've only had one other perfume-related skin allergy, and that was to Lancome Tresor.)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by isonbeatrice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried this several times, always hoping to love it. But I don't. I realize that fragrance is highly subjective, however, I can't say I love this. The sillage is quite impressive-I spritzed on a tiny amount of the EDP today and WOW! I was definitely wafting. Once in my car, it got sort of cloying and suffocating, so that I was glad to get out. I have to admit that I've never sniffed an actual orchid, so I can't comment on exactly what this smells like. Actually, it smells a tiny bit like BBWs Black Amethyst (ew, Dimetapp!) with a smidgen of licorice and some heavy powdery stuff. I think it's actually the licorice-ness that gets me--I loathe black licorice. Ick.

This is a long-lasting powerhouse, but sadly, not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2010 8:22:00 AM More reviews by Milisenta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I was surprised that the overall rating of this perfume was quite low. To me, Black Orchid is practically a masterpiece- i feel very feminine when wearing it, i get many compliments, and i never feel tired of the smell at all.

I used to think that it was a very strong scent, but on me it somehow mixes with my own skin and just naturally sticks:) I realize that for those who like simpler- fruity, fresh, lighter- scents, this could smell overpowering, but for someone like me (who can appreciate stronger scents), this is quite mild:-)

The staying power is very good- i sometimes smell it after the shower! But, as i said, it's not overpowering, it just follows you wherever you go but in a sexy, feminine way.

I'd say try it on your skin to see how chemistry works, because at times it can smell a bit like oily skin, but i suppose it's one of the "ferominish" ingredients:-)

Also, just to look at the bottle and realize that you own something THAT feminine, makes you feel special:-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2010 2:57:00 AM More reviews by SNIFFMEALLOVER

There is something very familiar about this perfume to me, I cannot quite put my finger on it. The fruitiness in it reminds me of Dior's Dolce Vita, or something else from the 90s. On me Black Orchid is really vibrant. There is nothing boring about it. It's strong at the beginning but dries down to a fresh, yet complex smell. In fact it starts off really fruity. Coco Mademoiselle also has that fruity blast to start off with. I am not too keen on that part, but the fruitiness dries down eventually. I don't know, maybe if they took that fruit blast out, they would not end up with the same dry down??? Either way, the dry down is well worth the wait. I thought Black Orchid would be darker but I am in fact quite happy it is not, otherwise it could have been too hard to wear on a daily basis. There is a slight masculine edge to it, but I don't find it to be too pronounced. To me Midnight Poison or Bvlgari Black are way more masculine than Black Orchid. Beautiful retro looking bottle and packaging. I would be cautious when applying, this is strong and has very good lasting power. One spray does it for me.

EDIT:
I was very surprised when my husband commented that Black Orchid smells "Masculine, masculine enough so that I could wear it if I had to". He said that if he had to describe it with one word, it would be "Mature. Not old, but mature. if you where 18 and wore it it would seem out of place. A man refined enough to appreciate it could wear it too." So there, here is a man's opinion for you, hope it helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by minimaliste

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE IT! It is sensual, unique, very warm and it gives off a grown-up, sophisticated vibe. It is a bit heavy though, so in warmer weather, it might not be a good idea (what am I going to do in the summer?!). Reviewers seem really mixed on the scent, but on me, it smells very floral-y. I've gotten compliments when I where it and when I put it on, my SO can't stop sniffing me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 2:59:00 AM More reviews by Angela1013