September 21, 2014 | 1894 users online

Sunscreen - COTZ - SPF 58

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2007 7:31:00 PM More reviews by SkinSense78

This sunscreen represents the classic case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too. The formulation is excellent in terms of broad spectrum UVA / UVB protection with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as the sunscreen agents attaining an SPF of 58. The tint would work best on fair skin and it doesn't take a lot of blending to create a finished look. The problem I found with it is that it dried my skin out (all physical sunscreens seem to do this on my skin) and was somewhat difficult to remove, thus the tint looked like makeup. This is definitely a sunscreen to try; if it works for your skin stick with it because it really is good protection in an elegant formulation.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/18/2007 1:23:00 PM More reviews by faciallychallenged

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was disappointed in this. It felt heavy and made the milia problem on my forehead worse. I know, of course something with physical spf this high is going to feel heavy on your skin-- I would've tolerated it though if it hadn't aggravated the milia. I was using Blue lizard for the face spf 30 (awesome) but I heard they changed the formula so I was looking for a strong sunscreen to replace it for this summer. This wasn't it! I'm going to try Solbar spf 38 next. I like zinc based sunscreens because they protect against UVA and zinc is anti-inflammatory. Another issue I had with the Fallene--I've recently read that micronized titanium is of questionable safety when used on the skin--potentially carcinogenic!! Yikes!! I don't know about you, but I don't even want to take the risk, especially when zinc appears to protect over a broader spectrum than titanium anyway (and micronized zinc is apparantly supposed to be safer for the skin).

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2007 8:42:00 PM More reviews by jennabw

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this for quite a while when I wanted a tinted physical block to cover melasma. Since that has faded (yay!) and I have found ways to tint sunscreen myself, I don't think this is that great. It isn't really very water-resistant, regardless of what the bottle says. It does protect well, but in hot weather (when I most wanted the protection), it always seemed to be sliding off my face and turning into a white drippy mess. I like Blue Lizard Baby, another all-physical block, much better for its waterproof-ness, and that is what I use now.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2007 10:57:00 AM More reviews by rainy_days

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm very pleased with this sunscreen. The tint may not work for everyone but it evens out my pale skin, much like a tinted moisturizer. I know there are sunscreens that offer better protection out there and that have a higher PPD, but Cotz SPF 58 doesn't irritate my skin or cause breakouts and that's worth a lot to me because I use it every day. It's blending right in with my skincare routine and hasn't caused problems, unlike some of the other sunscreens I've tried recently. I use a different sunscreen for my neck, arms, and hands since I don't want the tint getting all over my clothes but I do think this is working well because I'm outside for a couple of hours a day, 2-3 days a week, in the intense Colorado sun and I haven't gotten any color on my face. I also use Jane Iredale Mineral Makeup over this, which I feel is just a small amount of added protection from the sun. If I'm going to use makeup and sunscreen, it may as well make my skin look better!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2007 5:55:00 PM More reviews by FunnyValentine

I love the idea behind this product (non-chemical, non-comodegenic, non-irritating). But when I put it on my face, it looked like I was wearing thick foundation which hadn't blended in well. I'm trying to use it just around my eyes, and it is indeed gentle, but it's also visible and looks a little unnatural.
Update: This is too drying for my eye area.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2007 7:05:00 PM More reviews by iheartproducts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i've been using this sunscreen for about 3 weeks and it is the ONLY one that my skin has been able to tolerate! usually i get a clear bumpy very itchy rash all over that takes a week to go away, but this one barely irritates my skin! it still feels kinda gross like most physical blocks, but once it sinks in it's matte and light feeling on skin, and there isn't any terrible suncreen smell. i would definitely recommend this for anyone who has extremely sensitive hive prone skin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2007 7:49:00 AM More reviews by sheilaKL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an excellent physical sunscreen for those with sensitive skin. It is very smooth, blends in easily, has a light tint that disappears and dries clear. As far as a white cast, there isn't any on my complection however I am prety fair (NC10-15). I have been using this sunscreen as my eye area sunscreen to replace the previous one I used Clarins SunWrinkle Control Eye Cream Spf30. The cotZ has an SPFof 58 and is a purely physical/mineral sunscreen (like the Clarins) so it is gentle enough and will not irritate the eye area. cotZ is also way cheaper in comparison to the Clarins and performs equally as well, Clarin Eye SS is $24.50 US for .7 oz, whereas cotZ is $ 26.00 US for 2.5 oz. If you order form skincarerx and use the code "MUA20" you get a 20% discount bringing the price to $26.50 shipped. An excellent product for those who want high sun protection without irritation or breakouts, would highly recommed.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2006 7:15:00 PM More reviews by thuong

On my MMM skin this leaves a white cast due to Titianium Dioxide even with the tinted version. It's a bit thick but blendable and non irritating. I squeeze out just a little, rub it in really well then dust a little bronzer powder. For the price, Neutrogena Dry Touch is much better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2006 10:52:00 PM More reviews by hadas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a tinted sunscreen that comes in a 2.5 oz tube, and which contains as its active ingredients 10% titanium dioxide, 3% zinc oxide (as well as 5% iron oxides). My skin is LLL and this shade matches my skin fairly well (see pic below).
UPDATE 5/07/08: I do not find this to be a quality sunscreen, because it cannot be blended, it simply balls up when one applies the requisite 1/4 teaspoon to face. Very dissapointing. I used to love this sunscreen when I applied homemade Vit C serum before application - very little balling up then. But nowadays I have done away with the C serum and prefer to apply my sunscreen to bare skin. No good with this one though, it just balls up terribly. Disappointed.

(pic >>>). continued >>