Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder

4.6

Talc, Polyethylene, Nylon-12, PTFE, Phenyl Trimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Manganese Violet CI 77742, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499).

Had a credit and a 20-percent discount at Blush, so I had a fairly painless way to buy this incredibly pricey product. As other folks have said, it is a tiny, tiny thing. Size-wise, much more what you'd expect in an eyeshadow than a bronzer or blush. Others have found it to have high pigmentation, but for some reason, I don't find this to be the case—at least under my cheekbones. Must be my skin color (medium/pale neutral with olive undertones), or the shape of my face, but basically, I don't see this stuff showing up until I've applied too much, and then it looks dirty. However, I like it VERY much as an eyeshadow—it provides a nice lift to the eye if you apply in the crease (particularly if you have hooded eyes). It's a really natural look and yet extremely effective, even dramatic (if that makes sense: natural and dramatic). I'd repurchase just for this limited application in the eye area.

PROS:
- The color has no red in it at all—a perfect shadow color.
- There is an infinitesimal amount of glitter in it—doesn't show up on the skin as sparkle, but I suspect without it, the color would look sort of dull or deadening.
- Excellent for sculpting the eye in the crease area.
- On other skin tones or face shapes (not mine!) I can see how this would work to contour the face, as well

CONS:
- bizarrely expensive, particularly for the pan size
- contains silicone & if you're like me, this can make your skin feel dirty (not breathing)...whenever I put it on my face, I can't wait to take it off (on my eyelids, I don't mind)
- doesn't show up well on my cheeks
- perhaps only the case if you use too much, but I've noticed that It can settle into pores: definitely not a good look

Overall, I think this is a good product, especially if you are into make up that enhances your natural looks, rather than masks them. Even though I only use it for my eyelids, I think it does something special that I can't do with regular eyeshadow.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I hung back on this one because A) I have high cheekbones and B) I didn't want to make things more complicated and C) popular as contouring is I didn't want a kardashian face. Right off this actually SIMPLIFIES things. I use less blush or sometimes none at all and it renders such a polished but natural look. Using blush and highlighter along with the contour is just gorgeous and still not made up. There is just one shade of this because it mimics a shadow so therefore it doesn't have to match skin tone. The formula is very, very pigmented which means just barely touching the compact and even then shake some off (It is very finely milled). Applying too much will give you a disappointing result. In love.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I was looking for a brown bronzer without any orange tint or shimmer. Perfect! But then I tried some light contouring bc my face was so chubby during my pregnancy. I used on the sides of the nose, under chin and a little sweep under the cheekbones. Perfect! I'm back to normal and I still use it everyday to make my nose look narrower. It's very light and barely perceptible even in daylight. Your won't look like a crazy kardashian with heavy contour makeup. Try it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Awesome contour powder. Very easy to blend, payoff is great. The color is perfect for light-medium skin tones and swatches a grey-brown shade that is precisely what you need for a contour color. The texture is very light, soft, buttery. It's not powdery and there is no fall out. Tap your brush in gently and apply color--no waste. It lasts all day. This is a pricey gem but definitely worth the purchase price. I can see this being a staple in my kit. Will definitely repurchase.

BEST CONTOUR powder out there! I am pale, underlying yellow tones nC 15/ Porcelain ivory, lightest shade always. This is way better than other bronzers colors that some use for contouring. The color of "shadows" PERFECT!!! I am on my second compact soon, I had to buy another as a back up cause it's so fantastic. Thank u KA.

This powder makes my face look dirty and no matter how light I go it still somehow makes my contour look fake. I had better luck with nyx taupe blush for contouring. The product is small and expensive. I also find that this powder does not last on my face at all. Really disappointed and won't be repurchasing again.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I heard the rave, I like contouring because I have a relatively round face, so when I saw the youtube videos, I had to get this.
I have this for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. Although I have a fair complexion, it does not look streaky or anything, it creates a really natural shadow under your cheekbones, so that you loose weight on your face instantly.
The only offputting thing about it is the price and how little you actually get. Just 3 g (I have Eyeshadows with more g) for circa 40€ is very pricey. I hope it will last a little while, although I want to use it every day.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have a narrow face but lack obvious cheekbones. I use this very, very minimally horizontally in from the outside of my face - using it in longer strokes makes your face look thinner and longer , which might be great for some but is the last thing my face shape needs. This is a great colour - looks a weird grey-brown in the pan but this is just the right shade to create a shadow effect. However, definitely use very lightly! A note on the packaging: I'm more bothered about the quality of the product so it doesn't put me off but I do feel the packaging seems a bit cheap and flimsy.

Let me start off by saying this is the best contour powder I've ever tried. Love the grey tones in this powder that mimics shadow in your face. So why the 3 star review? I originally thought the new repackaging was great because no one uses the sponge and it was unnecessarily bulky. However, I did not read into how much they decreased the amount of product you get. I was shocked to see how small the packaging really was. It's the size of an eyeshadow pan and fits in the middle of your palm.
Previously the product was $42 for 6.5 grams, but now it's $44 for 3.1 grams. The amount of pretty much halved and the price was increased. That's why this is 3 stars. It's really unfortunate how makeup companies do this, but I have never seen it to this extent.
So, this product is ridiculously expensive for the amount you get. But it's a great product. I use the Hakuhodo G5521 to apply this. Very, very pigmented. I'm fair, and I only need a light tap of the brush into the powder to get the perfect shadow. So I'm assuming this will last a while.
Hope this helps in your decision to purchase!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I had absolutely lusted after The Sculpting Powder after reading the rave blog reviews and seeing photos of the finished results on other peoples' faces, but had to wait a few weeks till I was in London to make my purchase. Yes, the thorough online research also meant that I was well aware of the potential danger of searing one's face with over-zealous application.

I had been using the Bobbi Brown Almond blusher as a halfway house sculpting solution for the past 2.5 years, but wanted to move into something a bit more definitive as the Almond still has a pink tinge after all.

The first time I used The Sculpting Powder, I applied it under the shaving light in my bathroom and kept swiping (probably 4 or 5 times per cheek) on more powder as I didn't seem to notice much colour change and I've been used to heavy-application with the Almond blusher. Good thing I caught a glimpse of myself in another mirror under shadowed natural light, as my cheeks looked seared and muddy!! Everyone else is right that a little goes a long way.

The packaging recently changed into a much smaller compact (without the brush/ sponge pad which no one ever uses) and I've uploaded a photo to show the new format. The size is about the same as my Bobbi Brown single eye shadows, which also gives you an idea of how little product you get for the GBP35 price tag.

A week on, I'm still experimenting. But I use a pointed highlighter brush (Hakuhodo G5521) to apply, and do so under natural light. I'm still looking for a balance between getting the desired contour effect under different lights as the colour seems to vary much more compared to my Almond blusher. I still need to apply blusher afterwards, as there's absolutely no hints of pink pigment in The Sculpting Powder (which is a taupey brown/ grey). Fortunately, the colours seem to fuse into a more natural blend with longer wear time and the result looks nicely sophisticated.

I also bought the Burberry Earthy blusher for the same function, and am yet to open it for a comparative experiment. For now, I am still persisting with the Kevin Aucoin, as I really do want to love this product after all the waiting!

Popular Bronzers