July 28, 2014 | 2044 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in 535 Medium Golden Mahogany Brown

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2010 12:16:00 AM More reviews by jmferrarese

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am a natural redhead with hazel eyes and lots of freckles. Four years ago, since I started to have several greys, I started to color my "rare" auburn locks. In 4 years I have been from very dark brown to light blonde until I finally wanted to go back to my natural color, that bright red brown that compliments my faired, freckled skin tone so nicely. I tried for months to achieve a decent result, professionally or at home, but the results were always very unnatural, you could tell I just opened a bottle of dye and put it on top of my head. God only knows how much money I spent at the salon without ever having the possibility to come back home satisfied with the results. Than I decided to give this shade a shot. Even if the shade is darker then my natural color (I am a 6 level naturally), it compliments me magnificently. Initially, immediately after the application it looks very dark, like a dark brown with beautiful red tones, but after a couple of shampoos this color explodes in all its beauty. A rich, warm, beautifully natural looking auburn color that you would never be able to achieve with the dyes that say "auburn" in their names, always so fake looking...I got tons of compliments, and everybody believes this is my natural color. The product is very easy to apply and defenetely it leaves your hair soft and healthy, a lot softer than L'oreal excellence or excellence to go can do.
Bottom line, an excellent product for an excellent price. If only I would have tried this a few months earlier! I would have saved my hair a lot of stress and my bank account would look a lot better! Highly recommended

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2010 6:44:00 PM More reviews by kiki105

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

What can I really say about this color that hasn't already said? I just got done dying my hair with "Chocolate Caramel" and I must say... it's very pretty! However, anyone expecting the color on the box might be disappointed. It's important to note the word "mahogany" in the color name. By definition, "mahogany" is a reddish-brown, and reddish-brown is what this color is. It's a very pretty reddish chestnut color... I'd say it's about the same color as Amy Adams' hair in the movie Sunshine Cleaning. I'd recommend this color for anyone who wants a natural-looking auburn. Sometimes when you use an actual "auburn" color, you end up with something flaming red or fake-looking. This is more natural-looking, and subtle.

For me, Garnier always delivers a consistently good result!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2010 8:15:00 PM More reviews by elegantphoenix

Suddenly having found myself on an uber-tight budget after being used to spending a pretty penny at the salon on hair color, I needed to find a reasonable solution to cover up my rapidly multiplying grey hairs.

I bought this particular hair color after reading boxes and contemplating colors in the aisle at the local drug store for about 45 minutes. When I got home, I looked up this particular color here at MakeupAlley and was scared when people used the word "RED" in describing their newly colored hair. Then I looked at my grey hairs, then read the reviews again and decided to go for it.

My hair turned out beautifully. I wouldn't say "Red". I would describe it as a very warm chestnut brown. There is a lot of variation so it looks very natural. I have to say, though, that it didn't cover my greys as well as I had hoped, but enough were gone. There is a disclaimer on the box that neutral tones are better for grey coverage, but I didn't want neutral with my particular skin tone. It's now been about three weeks and you can see where more are, but they are still lightly colored and not screaming white. It was just a bit darker than the picture on the box, but I had expected that as my hair is already fairly dark.

The conditioner that came with it smelled wonderful and my hair wasn't crispy at all after coloring.

Go for it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by roarwoman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I had a disasterous hair cut/color in December 2009. My short hair ended up being two different colors, brassy auburn red on the sides and back and dark red/brown on the top and front where the ends were longer. It was a color job straight outta the 80's. After having a complete freak out I decided that I would wait one week and then color the hair myself. While I was waiting I popped onto MUA and started looking through haircolor reviews. After reading all of the positive reviews about the Chocolate Caramel I decided I would use this color. I wanted to stay in the red/brown colour group and after applying the product was very happy with the results.

The brighter red in the back was toned down considerably to a med/dark auburn brown, the front and top stayed the same except for the roots where I applied color. I now have a whole head of hair that matches in color for the most part and the warmth that is gives to my skin tone is really pretty. It was easy to apply, smelled quite nice and didn't leave hard to remove stains on my skin/hands. I also think that it brings out my eye colour (green) better than the darker browns I have had for the last few years. In the sunlight it looks very goldenish red. I would use this color again, before I went for a cut as it would be the exact color I would request from a stylist in the red family. I paid $12.45 CND.

**** As noted by other reviews, the model on the front of the box, her hair color is nothing like this color turned out. There is way more red then pictured, but it's a warm red not bright or cool. I think they should change the name to Warm Choclate Cherry, that would be more appropriate for what the color ends up being. A definate repurchase. Thank you once again, MAU!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2010 10:17:00 PM More reviews by mustangnawt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product about three months ago after reading many positive reviews. It was very inexpensive, $4 with a $2 off coupon from the paper. I have spent over $100 in the salon to get the look this product gave me, it's beautiful. It covered my gray completely. It looks especially nice in the sunlight. It didn't dry my hair out, and left it tangle-free. Before you blow your paycheck getting your hair colored, try it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2009 10:07:00 AM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have naturally black, healthy, thick, porous, and curly hair. I usually henna, but haven't had a chance in the last 3 or 4 months and then I got my hair cut quite a bit so there isn't any henna left in my hair. I read the reviews on this and thought I could get the look of henna without the hassle. Since I had never used a boxed hair color before and I heard they could be harsh on hair, I decided to mix the conditioner right into the hair color and developer mixture. I knew this might make the color not work as well but I didn't want to damage my hair. I left it in longer for that reason, about 4 hours. Henna used to be an all-day affair and very messy, so this was a piece of cake. But it smells awful. It rinsed out easily, and I had no tangles, but on wet hair I couldn't see a difference in color. Then it dried and it was still dark but I could see a bit of red highlights in the sun. It dried my hair out, so I applied leave-in conditioner and spritzed away. The next day when I showered, I just used water, no shampoo or conditioner, and though I didn't see any color leaving my hair, when it dried this time, it was lighter and more red. I don't want to say this added body to my hair, but my hair is quite fluffy since doing this and I need to use my leave-in conditioner and spritz to calm my hair down. I am happy with this color, and I would use this brand again, but next time I would use a less red color and more warm brown mixed with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2009 9:39:00 AM More reviews by cracksomeSKULLS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great warm medium brown color. I've been virtually every (natural) color in the book, aside from black and after a while, I thought, what's wrong with brown? So I took my level 9 head to the salon for an all over brown with some red in it (think Blair Waldorf from GG). $80 later for an all over, I was very pleased. Two weeks later, I was mousy. I understand that I went from a very light color, but I thought, I can't go back for a retouch - I can't afford it! So I picked this up and went to town. This color makes my pale, cool skin glow. I have blue/green eyes and the contrast just sets them off. I am not sure why I never went with darker hair before, but I just love it. My hair feels smooth and looks glossy, too. I process my hair fairly often and I have zero problems using this box color. Word to the wise, don't snap off that scented oil stuff in front of your face. It hurts your eyes.

I will definitely be touching up with this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2009 4:00:00 PM More reviews by LittleBear23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this hair color last night. I agonized over my color choice. Based on the color on the box and the name of the color I thought this would be more red than it is. I have a lot of red in my hair naturally so you would think it would show up on me but this color actually has more of a gold/copper tint on me. Also, when I held my hair up to the color on the top of the box the color on the box was about a shade lighter than my hair. However, what I ended up with is about a shade darker than what I started with. So, I have to say that I think this color is about 2 shades darker than the color shown, which is about what I expected from a box of hair color. The browns are always darker than you think.

So, what I got was about 2 shades darker and much more gold/copper than what was on the box. However, I am very pleased with the color. It's really nice. It looks natural on me and I'm glad I chose this color.

The smell is bad but it's not any worse than any other hair dye. My hair feels super soft today but it's a bit limp. I think the conditioner might have been too much for my hair but that's preferable to having dry hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2009 6:00:00 PM More reviews by cinnes225

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Medium Golden Mahogany Brown (Chocolate Caramel)

From just reading the color name and looking at the box picture, I would not have thought the end result color would have as strong of a red tint as other reviewers experienced. But I bought this product based on the Makeup Alley reviews because that is what I was looking for - something with a red tint to it. I applied the color to my hair last night. My "before" color was: about 2" of very dark brown roots followed by a medium brown base with faded out light copper and blonde hightlights and wild gray hairs mixed in. My "after" color is: a dark brown base with red tint. The tint is mostly noticeable when the sun hits it. The product did cover my gray hair very well and I no longer have any root line! However, I was surprised that my overall base became darker. I really thought it would have been lighter - or at least stayed medium - based on the picture. Also, the red turned out more of a "true red" on me versus a warm red. I guess I was just expecting with the color having the words "golden" and "caramel" in the description, it would lean that way. The color is still pretty but just different from what I envisioned even after reading the other reviews. I would like to go with something with a lighter brown base next time and if it has a red tint, I am hoping it will be a little more on the warmer side.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2009 3:51:00 PM More reviews by akandray

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I colored my hair first with the light ash brown (I wrote a review). I loved the color but it did not cover the blonde hightlights in my hair and they ended up looking green (my hair is naturally dark brown)!

I bought this color based on these reviews - I didn't use the entire bottle, just enough to cover the highlights. It covered beautifully and I love it! Especially in natural light, it is shiny and brownish red, but exactly what I wanted - not too noticeable and a medium color.