July 28, 2014 | 984 users online

Mascara - Kanebo - kate mascara base

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2009 9:35:00 AM More reviews by kims3142

I used the Shiseido Base for 2 years. It works very well, but lately I felt that it wasn't working as well? Maybe I was just wanting to try something different, but I really wasn't happy with the price. And my Sephora stopped selling it, so I was on the look out for something cheaper and better and easier to get.

Well, I got 2 out of 3. I can only buy this on sasa.com or ebay. But the price is about half even with the shipping.

I bought 3 tubes having never tried this because I didn't want to buy it and realize that I LOVED it and not having back-ups at ready.

Well, it worked out great. Got mine from a wonderful seller in HK and Kate did not disappoint.

There are millions of little fibers in it and really hold my curl well. Any mascara I out of top of it works. I will never buy Shiseido again.

I tried the Clinique base while I was waiting for this and it really sucked...completely dropped my lashes.

Try Kate, it is cheaper and better and even the packaging is prettier!

I remove it Kose cleansing oil and I have no problems taking it off.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2009 7:30:00 PM More reviews by 1spell4u

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this mascara base. I got it for about 11 bucks on E-bay.
My lashes are not short but they arent long either. And they are on the thin side.
This base has a lot of fibers in a gel type texture. Ande when I use the base the fibers add lenth and the gel thickens. I have to be careful when applying because too much can cause clumps but that is the only issue I have. But I dont consider that a big deal compared to the lush, glam lashes that I get from using this base.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2009 10:54:00 PM More reviews by thaigirl89

I have the one in the long rectangular shape with the dark grey/black lid. - got this from ebay for around 20ish.
(Think SASA is selling the cylinder shaped one for 10AU!! at the moment)
This is a great replacement for those who do not want to fork out 50AU to get the godsend Shiseido mascara base!

I have pretty long lashes for an asian, but they are quite thin, stick straight, do not hold a curl with an eyelash curler + mascara with no primer.

For me atm, I use the Shu eyelash curler + Kate primer + Max factor masterpiece max mascara.

Get this: like the shiseido one, if I don't curl my lashes properly, the kate one will NOT hold the curl, if I use a heavy mascara e.g. lancome hypnose or diorshow, after I apply the primer, my lashes WILL droop.

So what I have found works for me is: use a really good eyelash curler to curl your lashes PROPERLY, then apply primer to both eyes, then use a light weight mascara (THEN once it's semi dried, you can apply the thick mascara over it if you want to)!

The results are really good, even though the process takes along time

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by hln2you

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product!!! Only thing is that it doen't volumize. Other than that, it holds a curl all day and lengthen my lashes. It's not that easy to remove, but all i use is a little warm water and facewash, and it's off.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2009 11:30:00 AM More reviews by AngelOnFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So, after reading several reviews on MUA, I decided to give this baby a try. I ordered this from an eBay seller in Taiwan. From what I can tell, the item is genuine, comparing it to several pictures of it on the web. For about 10, it wasn't a bad deal.

The folks in Japan surely love their packaging. The most difficult thing about the Kate Mascara Base was to remove it from it's box! But after a lot of pulling and snipping, I removed the wand, which looks elegant and classy. The design is very beautiful, but given that the wand is square and not round, it doesn't lie in your hand too well.

Now to the product itself... The base is EXTREMELY fibrous. I've never seen a larger amount of fibers in any mascara before. You have to remove them from the brush carefully or all of it ends up on your lashes and leaves a clumpy mess.

The main reason I bought this was because I'm tired of waterproof mascaras, which, whilst being difficult to remove, are the only ones that hold a curl for the whole day. I was shedding eyelashes after Kiss Me Heroine Volume & Curl big time. Even though the mascara is flawless, the removal puts too much stress on my lashes and makes them fall out.

So, does the Kate Mascara Base hold a curl? Check! Does it hold it the whole day? Check! Is it easy to remove? ...Well, almost. It is easier to remove than most waterproof mascaras, but it isn't a walk in the park, either. There is some vigorous rubbing with soap or makeup remover involved if you want to get it all off. Does it lengthen my lashes? Like crazy. If you want ridiculous lengths, I suggest pairing it up with Kanebo's 38*C Silk Performance (Separating & Lengthening). My lashes touch my eyebrows with ease after curling them and using these products. But, as far as I can see, the Kate Mascara Base doesn't volumize at all. But that's what the mascara afterward should be for, anyway.

Now, some people here are commenting on how this base dries, and one or two posters mentioned that it leaves a white cast even after applying mascara. The Kate Mascara Base dries clearly on me, with only the fibers attached on the tips of your lashes remaining white. Whilst it is tricky to paint some of the more curiously positioned fibers black (or whatever other colour you use) with mascara afterward, they should not leave a cast when done properly!

Overall, it is a very good product. I never used any mascara bases before, so I can't really compare how they fare. The only gripe I have with this is that it isn't very easy to remove and that the application can be fussy and tricky. Other than that, thumbs up.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 2:24:00 AM More reviews by Ilse333

I really anticipated this based on reviews, but found it mediocre. I was blessed with great lashes, long and black, and can make them look crazy thick and long with good mascaras. This, however, left them looking ... just sort of average. After making it face off against my usual Shiseido mascara base, I confirmed that it really wasn't doing the job I'd become accustomed to. Maybe it works well on different kind of lashes, I don't know. But I won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2009 7:52:00 PM More reviews by e_L_L_e

This is my first mascara base. I'm really liking it. It adds length, volume, and shine to lashes. With the same mascara, I can definitely tell a difference with and without this base. there are little fibers inside for length. i've had no issues using the fibers with contact lenses. the mascara is clear on lashes. i have straight asian lashes and no North American brand mascaras i've tried hold curls. This holds curls all day!!! the packaging is elegant and the price is reasonable (i bought mine for USD$12.50+shipping).

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2009 3:27:00 AM More reviews by putty77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I have thin and short straight lashes and hard to curl. And, this is the best product I have found so far that keeps my stubborn lashes lifted and curled throughout the day. This mascara base offers more volume, more length and more curl.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2009 3:25:00 AM More reviews by MegamiMoon

This mascara base is absolute MAGIC! I've always been a skeptic when it comes to the effectiveness of a mascara base. They're usually adequate, but nothing to write home about. Kate mascara base has made a believer out of me. Kate is the first base mascara I've ever used that doesn't straighten freshly curled lashes. Not only does it keep my curl intact, it actually reinforces the curl so that it holds after the application of mascara. Amazing! I've never been so excited about a cosmetic product. This is a must-have for every asian girl's makeup bag. It comes in a sleek, white, rectangular tube and the product is clear gel with little fibers mixed in it. I found mine for about $14 on eBay, which I think is a steal for what it does.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2009 9:41:00 AM More reviews by diotima133

Just to clarify, I know of at least two versions of this product. I think that the older version comes in a white circular tube and the mascara base itself is white. The one that I have comes in a white rectangular tube and the cap is transparent black. The mascara base is mostly transparent, though it contains white colored fibers.

Like the reviewer before me, I was looking for a cheaper replacement for my beloved Shiseido mascara base. I'm just as happy with the Kate! It holds the curl just as well, if not better, which is my number one priority. But while the Shiseido tended to fatten up my lashes, the Kate feels lighter on and it lengthens them noticeably. So if you want volume, go with Shiseido; if you want length, go with Kate.

Both of them can be stubborn when it comes to washing them off. If you're like me and wary of fibers because they can fall off and irritate the eyes, there's no need to worry about that with Kate. The fibers stick remarkably well to your lashes, almost too well: I need a dab of Ponds cold cream to remove them easily and gently. From now on I'll go with whichever of the two happens to be more affordable. Love 'em both!