Kanebo kate mascara base

4.3

on 1/14/2011 10:46:00 PM

Kate mascara base is so hard to get off that it's not even worth putting it on! It's not only time consuming, but also bad for my eyelashes to keep rubbing them.... won't purchase again.

on 6/23/2010 6:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I purchased this base after reading the reviews from this site. I have sensitive eyes with lashes that are thin but not too short. My lashes fall out all too easily so that when I use harsh products on may lashes & they start to begin looking sparse :( Anyway... this product was packaged really well & I was quite happy when I applied it. The wand felt great to use and the product lengthened and thickened my lashes. However it did create some clumps which I had to comb out. I wore it all day and when I tried to remove it it would not come off totally after 15mins of washing my eyes. In fact there is some remaining still on my eyes as we speak. I guess that means that the staying power is very good, BUT on my lashes it is very hard to remove & also stings my eyes a little bit. I will not use again as I cannot afford to lose lashes from trying to remove stubborn products. Anyway I will stick to my other favoured lash primers.

on 2/18/2010 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

oh my goodness this base is so good!! ive never really worn a mascara base after i got annoyed by loreals double ended mascaras, the white just seemed to go everywhere and didnt do enough to my lashes.
but this is seriously lengthening, and ive found it even gives my lashes volume. ok granted there is some extra work and care involved, i had to get an eyelash/brow comb because the base tends to clump together and because the base is an offwhite, you need to make sure its properly covered up by lashings of black mascara and comb through after to make sure it doesnt look too spidery. and it makes my stickstraight asian lashes curl up!! (as i dont like using eyelash curlers) so it kinda improves the look of my lashes all round! oh and it takes a little effort and care to get off but a good remover shouldnt have any problems. id completely recommend this!!! i got mine off ebay for tuppence :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

It creates a thick film over my lashes n thickens them. Yet I feel they are very heavy and will clot easily. have to spend extra time to separate my lash.

on 10/27/2009 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I used the Shiseido Base for 2 years. It works very well, but lately I felt that it wasn't working as well? Maybe I was just wanting to try something different, but I really wasn't happy with the price. And my Sephora stopped selling it, so I was on the look out for something cheaper and better and easier to get.

Well, I got 2 out of 3. I can only buy this on sasa.com or ebay. But the price is about half even with the shipping.

I bought 3 tubes having never tried this because I didn't want to buy it and realize that I LOVED it and not having back-ups at ready.

Well, it worked out great. Got mine from a wonderful seller in HK and Kate did not disappoint.

There are millions of little fibers in it and really hold my curl well. Any mascara I out of top of it works. I will never buy Shiseido again.

I tried the Clinique base while I was waiting for this and it really sucked...completely dropped my lashes.

Try Kate, it is cheaper and better and even the packaging is prettier!

I remove it Kose cleansing oil and I have no problems taking it off.

on 10/11/2009 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love this mascara base. I got it for about 11 bucks on E-bay.
My lashes are not short but they arent long either. And they are on the thin side.
This base has a lot of fibers in a gel type texture. Ande when I use the base the fibers add lenth and the gel thickens. I have to be careful when applying because too much can cause clumps but that is the only issue I have. But I dont consider that a big deal compared to the lush, glam lashes that I get from using this base.

on 10/10/2009 10:54:00 PM

I have the one in the long rectangular shape with the dark grey/black lid. - got this from ebay for around 20ish.
(Think SASA is selling the cylinder shaped one for 10AU!! at the moment)
This is a great replacement for those who do not want to fork out 50AU to get the godsend Shiseido mascara base!

I have pretty long lashes for an asian, but they are quite thin, stick straight, do not hold a curl with an eyelash curler + mascara with no primer.

For me atm, I use the Shu eyelash curler + Kate primer + Max factor masterpiece max mascara.

Get this: like the shiseido one, if I don't curl my lashes properly, the kate one will NOT hold the curl, if I use a heavy mascara e.g. lancome hypnose or diorshow, after I apply the primer, my lashes WILL droop.

So what I have found works for me is: use a really good eyelash curler to curl your lashes PROPERLY, then apply primer to both eyes, then use a light weight mascara (THEN once it's semi dried, you can apply the thick mascara over it if you want to)!

The results are really good, even though the process takes along time

on 10/5/2009 12:49:00 AM

I love this product!!! Only thing is that it doen't volumize. Other than that, it holds a curl all day and lengthen my lashes. It's not that easy to remove, but all i use is a little warm water and facewash, and it's off.

on 9/27/2009 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

So, after reading several reviews on MUA, I decided to give this baby a try. I ordered this from an eBay seller in Taiwan. From what I can tell, the item is genuine, comparing it to several pictures of it on the web. For about 10, it wasn't a bad deal.

The folks in Japan surely love their packaging. The most difficult thing about the Kate Mascara Base was to remove it from it's box! But after a lot of pulling and snipping, I removed the wand, which looks elegant and classy. The design is very beautiful, but given that the wand is square and not round, it doesn't lie in your hand too well.

Now to the product itself... The base is EXTREMELY fibrous. I've never seen a larger amount of fibers in any mascara before. You have to remove them from the brush carefully or all of it ends up on your lashes and leaves a clumpy mess.

The main reason I bought this was because I'm tired of waterproof mascaras, which, whilst being difficult to remove, are the only ones that hold a curl for the whole day. I was shedding eyelashes after Kiss Me Heroine Volume & Curl big time. Even though the mascara is flawless, the removal puts too much stress on my lashes and makes them fall out.

So, does the Kate Mascara Base hold a curl? Check! Does it hold it the whole day? Check! Is it easy to remove? ...Well, almost. It is easier to remove than most waterproof mascaras, but it isn't a walk in the park, either. There is some vigorous rubbing with soap or makeup remover involved if you want to get it all off. Does it lengthen my lashes? Like crazy. If you want ridiculous lengths, I suggest pairing it up with Kanebo's 38*C Silk Performance (Separating & Lengthening). My lashes touch my eyebrows with ease after curling them and using these products. But, as far as I can see, the Kate Mascara Base doesn't volumize at all. But that's what the mascara afterward should be for, anyway.

Now, some people here are commenting on how this base dries, and one or two posters mentioned that it leaves a white cast even after applying mascara. The Kate Mascara Base dries clearly on me, with only the fibers attached on the tips of your lashes remaining white. Whilst it is tricky to paint some of the more curiously positioned fibers black (or whatever other colour you use) with mascara afterward, they should not leave a cast when done properly!

Overall, it is a very good product. I never used any mascara bases before, so I can't really compare how they fare. The only gripe I have with this is that it isn't very easy to remove and that the application can be fussy and tricky. Other than that, thumbs up.

on 9/12/2009 2:24:00 AM

I really anticipated this based on reviews, but found it mediocre. I was blessed with great lashes, long and black, and can make them look crazy thick and long with good mascaras. This, however, left them looking ... just sort of average. After making it face off against my usual Shiseido mascara base, I confirmed that it really wasn't doing the job I'd become accustomed to. Maybe it works well on different kind of lashes, I don't know. But I won't be repurchasing.

Top Rated Kanebo Products