September 2, 2014 | 928 users online

Hair - Wen by Chaz Dean - Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2014 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Jilllann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Worst thing out there. Gave me bumps on my scalp. List hair while using thus. you should check out the Youtube videos on thinning hair from Wen-I was shocked at how common this was for others.
Made my hair look greasy and like I did not wash it. Two of my friends ordered it and hated it too. Big word of caution never ever order on their auto ship program. The company will not cancel your order and customer service hangs up on you. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Both my friend and I had to cancel our credit cards to stop getting them from sending products to us on auto ship and then thy kept sending letters for months to tell us our kit was ready to ship and send ament when we cancelled it.
The left over product I'd work as a good dog shampoo for my friends dog.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by lenlen9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, to be fair, I used Wen for 6 months so by now I believe I've used it long enough to give a pretty accurate assessment of how this product worked for me. In one word; awful!!! I guess I was one of those who fell for the hype but this did absolutely NOTHING for my hair except make it an extremely oily, matted,flat and weighed down mess. As if that wasn't bad enough, it always felt and looked dirty, gross and very dull. And no, I'm not using it incorrectly. I tried all the suggestions mentioned by the manufacturer, by friends who use it and my own experimentation but no matter what I did, I always got the same results. My normal hair texture is dry and I really didn't produce much oil in the first place so all the greasy residue was due to this cleanser. It was so bad that I always look like I haven't taken a shower in weeks.

My hair is medium length and I first tried the 16-24 pumps recommended for the lenght. That proved to be too much so I decreased it to 10-15 pumps, even going as low as below 10 pumps. The result was always the same. Of course with the less than the recommended amount, my hair and especially my scalp, felt even dirtier but here's the kicker...no matter what I tried, it always felt as if it's coated with wax even though I thoroughly scrubbed my scalp with it. After 4 months of use I started noticing very itchy scalp, some flaking and more hair fall. Yet, I stuck with it thinking it was just my scalp adjusting. On month 6 I noticed even more hair fall even on days I don't wash my hair. This hardly happened to my hair prior to using this. My stylist even commented on the condition of my hair and how it felt coated. I decided then I was going to stop using it and look for alternatives.

I'm now using another brand of no sulfate shampoo and by gosh, the difference is HUGE. Almost overnight, no more itchy scalp and most importantly no more weighed down flat matted oily hair. I have yet to grow the hairs I lost back but hopefully in time it will. I now use this product to shave my legs with. I think overall it's an over hyped and expensive product. I have gotten better results from sulfate free shampoos that are 4 times cheaper. The 1 lippie is for the scent only which is pretty nice.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by Kristyann

Wow this stuff really does suck. I have highlighted slightly wavy hair that I use heat on every few days or so, so I am always looking for that miracle product that will leave my hair shiny and fully of body. After seeing those infomercials every single morning, I decided to take the plunge and try it out. This weighed my hair down, took forever to dry because of how greasy my hair felt (and my hair is SO DRY) and my hair felt dirty afterwards. The only thing this has going for it is the smell, so I kept the dry mist just to refresh my hair every now and then because it smells incredible. This was so bad, that i would feel like crap if I passed it along to someone else. At least I gave it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 7:17:00 PM More reviews by SunnyFlorida

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Got this as an Xmas gift. Took a little adjusting to get used to how much to use. The label says 10-16 pumps - using 10 made my hair seem oily and heavy. I adjusted use 4-5 pumps and only do it once applying to scalp and massaging in, then rinsing, I am very pleased and my hair which previously had the texture of straw andtended to look frizzy, feels soft and nice and the frizz factor is almost gone. Surprising to me, it did an excellent job of cleansing (surprising me since there is no lather at all - its sort of like working conditioner thru your hair) I believe the cucumber aloe is supposed to be a lighter product which since my hair is very thin and fine, may do better when I buy again. I dont need mail order purchasing where they ship every month, I will go to Sephora or thru Amazon to get this as I need it. The gift set came with some extra conditioner which is too heavy for my hair and I'll give to a friend. Overall, I think its a good product but does take some getting used to (no lather at all and figuring out what the minimum to use it so it doesnt weigh down your hair).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2014 2:49:00 PM More reviews by shivooli1

This product is absolutely overpriced and there is nothing special about it.
U need to use a lot of it in order to clean ur hair( if u have shoulder length hair)
the 90 day supply is only good for one month.
I have a healthy hair long hair and it is not oily at all with regular drugstore shampoo I can wash my hair very 3 days but with wen must wash every day.
their customer service is very bad, I had asked them to sop sending me products and not charge me for any more shipments, they offered me to send me another type free of charge in order to see if I like it or not. 5 months went by I never received any sample product and all of a sudden I see they have charged me again 121$ and have sent me their crappy product yet again. Now I have to return it and pay for the return from my own pocket.
Be aware, they do NOt provide u with a prepaid returning slip therefore u like it or not u got to pay the postage to get a refund.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2014 5:49:00 PM More reviews by blue1berry

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let me begin by saying I used this product for a year. At first I loved it. Hair felt softer and healthier. But in hindsight I should have paid attention to all the hair that was falling out every time I used it -10 time more than usual fall out. I ignored it thinking maybe it cyclical but it never stopped. Then early this year I noticed my part getting lot wider and I was able to see my scalp in some areas when hair was pulled back. I have always had such thick hair all my life that hairdressers always complained how long it took to cut all my thick hairs. So to go from plush, thick hair to bald spots overnight was utterly heart breaking. I should add it seemed to be overnight to me since my realization came in late, but the whole balding process was happening over the year it's just that I realized when it was really obvious. I went to my doctor for all sorts of tests to rule out health problems and everything came fine. No anemia or thyroid problems. Then it occurred to me it might be Wen since I had seen so much hair falling out when I washed it and it wasn't growing back at the same rate. I think the heaviness of the "conditioning rinse" and its inability to wash your scalp properly had clogged my scalp pores which therefore prevented from new hairs to grow out. I have now stopped it for a month and slowly am seeing hair getting fuller again and some new growth. So this confirmed to me it was Wen. And to think I was paying $32 every 3 weeks for a bottle of this only to make my bald! I basically threw close to $700 down the drain last year for this garbage. Really disappointed in this product.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by GlossyGal05

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. I have very thick, coarse hair that has been through a lot of heat damage. I use to flat iron my hair at everyday a few years back, but now I curl my hair about once a week. So my hair does still come in contact with occasional heat. This product does a great job at making my hair feel clean and fresh and reversing the damaging effects of the heat.

How I use it - when I get in the shower I wet my hair for about 1-1/2 minutes to make sure it is thoroughly soaked. It says to apply about 24 pumps for my length of hair (my hair is down to my mid back), but I only apply enough pumps that I feel is necessary. It says to apply it to hair one time, rinse, and then apply it again and let it work it's magic. I apply about 6-7 pumps the first time, add some water to it, rub it around, rinse, and then repeat. I then wash my body, shave, do whatever I need to do, and then rinse it out with cold water. Now here is where all the complaints from other people come in...they do not rinse the product out of their hair well enough. So they say that their hair feels weighed down, oily, etc. You HAVE to rinse it out completely and well. It takes me about two minutes to ensure that I get all of the Wen out of my hair. Once it is all out, I wrap it up in a towel, let it dry for 5 minutes, and then apply my products.

When my hair is dry, it feels and looks great. I really, really like this product. I use it along with the anti-frizz serum and the vanilla conditioning treatment. I got three cleansing conditioners, the anti-frizz product, and the conditioning treatment for free. A friend of mine get's a box containing five Wen product every four months for $40, so she gave me the package that came because she finds it too much work. Which is true, it does require time and effort. I wash my hair every Sunday and Thursday, so about every four days. So I usually have the time to wash my hair with this, but when I don't have time I just use my regular shampoo and conditioner.

Overall, great product and I would highly recommend it to others. Just make sure you use it correctly, or else the results won't be good.

UPDATE - After using this product for a while, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be continuing to use this product. At first it was great and it does make my hair feel nice afterwards, but I've been noticing more hair fall than usual. I thought I was just noticing my hair fall because of people bringing it up when using this product, but it really does make your hair fall out. I really wish that wasn't the case, but it is. For that reason, I will no longer be using this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by fermidiracgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

ick. I've been using it for a week and a half now, and my hair is dull and kind of matted looking, and its especially bad when I wake up in the morning as far as the matted-ness goes. The first few days my hair was shiny and nice. But it just went downhill from there. I wanted to try it because I color my hair red and it fades quickly. I thought a Conditioner-only wash would help retain color. Nope! It doesn't retain color any better than the color-treated versions of drugstore shampoo/conditioners. My hair is normal thickness, and its a short bob style and its straight, so I tried the sweet almond mint. I thought it smelled and felt nice when I was using it. But if I have to use a clarifying shampoo a couple times a week for this to work, I might as well just save my money and go back to my old stuff. And this was expensive! It was $30 or so for 16oz pump bottle. And its about 2/3 gone after a week and a half! I followed the directions to a T and used 10 pumps for the first wash and 5 for the 2nd, and massaged and rinsed well just like they said. Ugh, I'm going back to my old stuff that is cheaper, lasts longer, and works better.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by skinobsessed1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I feel compelled to write a Wen review. I was very cynical but alas, it works very well for my fine/ thin/ over bleached hair which I am trying to grow out (back to my natural color). The most important tidbit of the product which is mentioned by many others is that you DO NOT need to use the full amount of pumps they recommend, that's ridiculous. Use as much as you feel you need to cover your hair/ scalp completely. Then ad a bit more water to get a very *mild* frothing action, and massage massage massage your scalp, then comb through your hair. That's what's gotten me the best best results, and helps me hair detangle. I don't find this greasy or anything. Every two weeks I will use a clarifying shampoo which is what many other reviewers do. Makes sense with or without Wen to get rid of product buildup. Makes my hair very manageable, frizz free, and soft. The new healthy hair growing in is very shiny! I am pleased. Took off a lippie because of course it's too expensive, but whatever it works!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by JCakuls

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Hands down, the best product for cleansing and treating that I've ever used on my hair. I have long (down to my mid-back) wavy hair, and I have a lot of it, and my hair texture includes both fine and medium-coarse (yes, all on my one head lol). My hair dries out really quickly, though I'd say it's a normal moisture level; but because I color it frequently (around 6x or more per year) it's damaged/dry; and it's also very temperamental; I cannot just "wash n' go", and I cannot use "whatever" on my hair; and I'm very particular, so not a lot of products leave a pleasant residue or don't feel right or don't smell good, and all of that impacts my experience. Shea Moisture shampoos and conditioner were the pinnacle of my hair product findings, until I tried Wen. So, nothing from a drug store cut it, and I frankly get a headache when I think of salon formula possibilities (at a certain point, I don't have the patience nor the ability to tell a lot of their results apart, be it Redken, or TIGI, or Rusk, or what have you). So a year ago, on the rave review of a cousin, who in mid-July Chicago steamy hot weather, had perfectly smooth, blown-dry hair, and said "It's Wen! You've got to try it!" I did just that. I started with Sweet Almond Mint, and upon first use, I noticed that the texture and consistency of the product itself was actually one of the best, smoothest, and most easily-applied conditioners (using it, of course, as intended per Wen instructions). It felt smoother than most deep-conditioners or detanglers. It saturated my hair; I felt it tingling my scalp and the nape of my neck, and when I rinsed it out that first time, my hair felt re-texturized, even while wet: when I shampoo and condition with a non-Wen product line, I'll rinse out and kind of flip the ends of my hair with my hands, and depending on how my wet hair drops back down against my back, I can tell how it'll act when it's dried and styled. So for example, if I pick up the bulk of my wet hair, and release it, and it kind of...feels hard? or unflexible? then I know it'll be a more resistant styling session. But with Wen, upon first use, I could feel the flexibility after it was all rinsed out, and when it was still wet. And it detangled well, and it felt clean, and without residue. And it was shinier than anything. I only applied it as a cleanser and rinsed it out; I didn't use any of it on my damp hair to detangle. But because I'm OCD and a product junkie, I still used defrizzers and styling creams on my hair (I'm of the belief that the more healthy and healing product you have on your hair, the more it takes the hit, and not your hair's shaft nor it's moisture level, when you blow-dry.) So when I used Wen again and again consecutively, it was easier and easier to spread through my wet hair, to massage it into my scalp, and I'd notice, when I rinsed it out, that *even while soaking wet, and being hit with water pressure, I could still feel lift at my hair line, and at my scalp, more so than with any other product I'd ever used to shampoo and condition*. -- Now, I've used other "co washes" (As I Am Co-wash, and Ren's cleansing conditioner, as well as the co-wash by Nubian Heritage) and As I Am and Ren felt drying, or less slippery, both going on and rinsing out; and my texture was no where near where it was with Wen. The Nubian Heritage co-wash is almost right on par with Wen, but, I'm a sucker for volume at the roots, and for fragrance; and that's where I prefer Wen over NH. - though, in a pinch? I'd take it over any other cleansing/conditioning product or shampoo/conditioner set. So I tried other fragrances/varieties of Wen: Cucumber Aloe - slightly less moisturizing than the Sweet Almond Mint; Lavender - roughly the same as SAM; Pomegranate - also roughly the same, though the consistency of the product felt a little bit thinner; Fig - equally if not more moisturizing; Winter Vanilla Mint - equally moisturizing but somehow I feel like I still had a bit of frizz with it. AND, the baby-fine hair, that grows at one side of my hairline only, kind of like a cowlick, for the first time in years, it was growing in fully and more thick. So that was a tremendous bonus! Also, whereas with many shampoos, my temperamental skin, around my hairline, could be adversely affected and I'd get pimples or even cystic acne eruptions, I'd never, ever had a problem with Wen, in fact if anything, I think it helped clear up my skin. After a three month break from using Wen (because I take things for granted), I started back up again, and immediately noticed a difference in my hair texture, flexibility, volume, thickness, and strength. I use about two pumps or so to detangle my hair after I step out of the shower; and I still use other products to style and strengthen. But using it as a detangler/leave in is AMAZING. I love it even more now. I truly can't imagine not having Wen Sweet Almond Mint. 'm sure I'll get bored in the future and leave it for a week or a month, but when I think about how much shorter my showers are thanks to this product, and how easy, simple, and lovely it makes everything, it's amazing. It's truly amazing. My hair grows faster, it grows longer, and it's no longer a head-ache to wash it, and to feel like no matter what I apply after cleansing, it's still going to be dry, or break off, or just generally be disappointing. I feel like I can check off "great hair" as a beauty goal thanks to this product. Also, the cap that comes with the bottle? Keep that around; when the pump fails to pump the last bit left at the bottom, replace the pump with the original cap, turn the bottle upside, and smack it against your palm to get the rest out. Keep the pump to use for your next bottle. (I like to save every drop!) I think like 99.9% of the product can be retrieved, which is awesome.