September 19, 2014 | 1655 users online

Hair - Wen by Chaz Dean - Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 7:36:00 PM More reviews by misscynthia06

I have long, curly, color treated, damaged, dry hair. I use heat about once to twice a week and was looking to stop uses shampoo and start hydrating my hair.

I really love this product. Honestly....It is very finicky and not easy to use at all, you have to be willing to go trial-and-error and have some days where your hair looks dirty, flat and gross. But when you get it right, the right amount of product, the right amount of rinses, the right styling product, your hair looks and feels amazing. While that much work is way more than I would like to do just to have clean and healthy hair, once you figure out what works for your particular head of hairs, it really becomes easy and quick.

My color has lasted so much longer since I started using Wen exclusively.

I recommend purchasing from Sephora or Qvc, not directly from Wen, as I have heard they have horrible customer service and billing procedures.

This is a product you either love or hate, I held back on reviewing until I had been exclusively using Wen to wash my hair for a significant amount of time. I can honestly say in my experience this product has been really good for my hair. I wish it was cheaper, but I really can say I will purchase again.

I refuse to call myself a "wen girl", it really isnt THAT amazing, you can get similar results from other products for much cheaper, but there is some value to the hype, my scalp is healthy, I have less hair coming out in the shower and my color lasts much longer.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2014 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Jilllann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Worst thing out there. Gave me bumps on my scalp. List hair while using thus. you should check out the Youtube videos on thinning hair from Wen-I was shocked at how common this was for others.
Made my hair look greasy and like I did not wash it. Two of my friends ordered it and hated it too. Big word of caution never ever order on their auto ship program. The company will not cancel your order and customer service hangs up on you. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Both my friend and I had to cancel our credit cards to stop getting them from sending products to us on auto ship and then thy kept sending letters for months to tell us our kit was ready to ship and send ament when we cancelled it.
The left over product I'd work as a good dog shampoo for my friends dog.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by lenlen9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, to be fair, I used Wen for 6 months so by now I believe I've used it long enough to give a pretty accurate assessment of how this product worked for me. In one word; awful!!! I guess I was one of those who fell for the hype but this did absolutely NOTHING for my hair except make it an extremely oily, matted,flat and weighed down mess. As if that wasn't bad enough, it always felt and looked dirty, gross and very dull. And no, I'm not using it incorrectly. I tried all the suggestions mentioned by the manufacturer, by friends who use it and my own experimentation but no matter what I did, I always got the same results. My normal hair texture is dry and I really didn't produce much oil in the first place so all the greasy residue was due to this cleanser. It was so bad that I always look like I haven't taken a shower in weeks.

My hair is medium length and I first tried the 16-24 pumps recommended for the lenght. That proved to be too much so I decreased it to 10-15 pumps, even going as low as below 10 pumps. The result was always the same. Of course with the less than the recommended amount, my hair and especially my scalp, felt even dirtier but here's the kicker...no matter what I tried, it always felt as if it's coated with wax even though I thoroughly scrubbed my scalp with it. After 4 months of use I started noticing very itchy scalp, some flaking and more hair fall. Yet, I stuck with it thinking it was just my scalp adjusting. On month 6 I noticed even more hair fall even on days I don't wash my hair. This hardly happened to my hair prior to using this. My stylist even commented on the condition of my hair and how it felt coated. I decided then I was going to stop using it and look for alternatives.

I'm now using another brand of no sulfate shampoo and by gosh, the difference is HUGE. Almost overnight, no more itchy scalp and most importantly no more weighed down flat matted oily hair. I have yet to grow the hairs I lost back but hopefully in time it will. I now use this product to shave my legs with. I think overall it's an over hyped and expensive product. I have gotten better results from sulfate free shampoos that are 4 times cheaper. The 1 lippie is for the scent only which is pretty nice.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by Kristyann

Wow this stuff really does suck. I have highlighted slightly wavy hair that I use heat on every few days or so, so I am always looking for that miracle product that will leave my hair shiny and fully of body. After seeing those infomercials every single morning, I decided to take the plunge and try it out. This weighed my hair down, took forever to dry because of how greasy my hair felt (and my hair is SO DRY) and my hair felt dirty afterwards. The only thing this has going for it is the smell, so I kept the dry mist just to refresh my hair every now and then because it smells incredible. This was so bad, that i would feel like crap if I passed it along to someone else. At least I gave it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 7:17:00 PM More reviews by SunnyFlorida

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Got this as an Xmas gift. Took a little adjusting to get used to how much to use. The label says 10-16 pumps - using 10 made my hair seem oily and heavy. I adjusted use 4-5 pumps and only do it once applying to scalp and massaging in, then rinsing, I am very pleased and my hair which previously had the texture of straw andtended to look frizzy, feels soft and nice and the frizz factor is almost gone. Surprising to me, it did an excellent job of cleansing (surprising me since there is no lather at all - its sort of like working conditioner thru your hair) I believe the cucumber aloe is supposed to be a lighter product which since my hair is very thin and fine, may do better when I buy again. I dont need mail order purchasing where they ship every month, I will go to Sephora or thru Amazon to get this as I need it. The gift set came with some extra conditioner which is too heavy for my hair and I'll give to a friend. Overall, I think its a good product but does take some getting used to (no lather at all and figuring out what the minimum to use it so it doesnt weigh down your hair).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2014 2:49:00 PM More reviews by shivooli1

This product is absolutely overpriced and there is nothing special about it.
U need to use a lot of it in order to clean ur hair( if u have shoulder length hair)
the 90 day supply is only good for one month.
I have a healthy hair long hair and it is not oily at all with regular drugstore shampoo I can wash my hair very 3 days but with wen must wash every day.
their customer service is very bad, I had asked them to sop sending me products and not charge me for any more shipments, they offered me to send me another type free of charge in order to see if I like it or not. 5 months went by I never received any sample product and all of a sudden I see they have charged me again 121$ and have sent me their crappy product yet again. Now I have to return it and pay for the return from my own pocket.
Be aware, they do NOt provide u with a prepaid returning slip therefore u like it or not u got to pay the postage to get a refund.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2014 5:49:00 PM More reviews by blue1berry

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let me begin by saying I used this product for a year. At first I loved it. Hair felt softer and healthier. But in hindsight I should have paid attention to all the hair that was falling out every time I used it -10 time more than usual fall out. I ignored it thinking maybe it cyclical but it never stopped. Then early this year I noticed my part getting lot wider and I was able to see my scalp in some areas when hair was pulled back. I have always had such thick hair all my life that hairdressers always complained how long it took to cut all my thick hairs. So to go from plush, thick hair to bald spots overnight was utterly heart breaking. I should add it seemed to be overnight to me since my realization came in late, but the whole balding process was happening over the year it's just that I realized when it was really obvious. I went to my doctor for all sorts of tests to rule out health problems and everything came fine. No anemia or thyroid problems. Then it occurred to me it might be Wen since I had seen so much hair falling out when I washed it and it wasn't growing back at the same rate. I think the heaviness of the "conditioning rinse" and its inability to wash your scalp properly had clogged my scalp pores which therefore prevented from new hairs to grow out. I have now stopped it for a month and slowly am seeing hair getting fuller again and some new growth. So this confirmed to me it was Wen. And to think I was paying $32 every 3 weeks for a bottle of this only to make my bald! I basically threw close to $700 down the drain last year for this garbage. Really disappointed in this product.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by GlossyGal05

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. I have very thick, coarse hair that has been through a lot of heat damage. I use to flat iron my hair at everyday a few years back, but now I curl my hair about once a week. So my hair does still come in contact with occasional heat. This product does a great job at making my hair feel clean and fresh and reversing the damaging effects of the heat.

How I use it - when I get in the shower I wet my hair for about 1-1/2 minutes to make sure it is thoroughly soaked. It says to apply about 24 pumps for my length of hair (my hair is down to my mid back), but I only apply enough pumps that I feel is necessary. It says to apply it to hair one time, rinse, and then apply it again and let it work it's magic. I apply about 6-7 pumps the first time, add some water to it, rub it around, rinse, and then repeat. I then wash my body, shave, do whatever I need to do, and then rinse it out with cold water. Now here is where all the complaints from other people come in...they do not rinse the product out of their hair well enough. So they say that their hair feels weighed down, oily, etc. You HAVE to rinse it out completely and well. It takes me about two minutes to ensure that I get all of the Wen out of my hair. Once it is all out, I wrap it up in a towel, let it dry for 5 minutes, and then apply my products.

When my hair is dry, it feels and looks great. I really, really like this product. I use it along with the anti-frizz serum and the vanilla conditioning treatment. I got three cleansing conditioners, the anti-frizz product, and the conditioning treatment for free. A friend of mine get's a box containing five Wen product every four months for $40, so she gave me the package that came because she finds it too much work. Which is true, it does require time and effort. I wash my hair every Sunday and Thursday, so about every four days. So I usually have the time to wash my hair with this, but when I don't have time I just use my regular shampoo and conditioner.

Overall, great product and I would highly recommend it to others. Just make sure you use it correctly, or else the results won't be good.

UPDATE - After using this product for a while, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be continuing to use this product. At first it was great and it does make my hair feel nice afterwards, but I've been noticing more hair fall than usual. I thought I was just noticing my hair fall because of people bringing it up when using this product, but it really does make your hair fall out. I really wish that wasn't the case, but it is. For that reason, I will no longer be using this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by fermidiracgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

ick. I've been using it for a week and a half now, and my hair is dull and kind of matted looking, and its especially bad when I wake up in the morning as far as the matted-ness goes. The first few days my hair was shiny and nice. But it just went downhill from there. I wanted to try it because I color my hair red and it fades quickly. I thought a Conditioner-only wash would help retain color. Nope! It doesn't retain color any better than the color-treated versions of drugstore shampoo/conditioners. My hair is normal thickness, and its a short bob style and its straight, so I tried the sweet almond mint. I thought it smelled and felt nice when I was using it. But if I have to use a clarifying shampoo a couple times a week for this to work, I might as well just save my money and go back to my old stuff. And this was expensive! It was $30 or so for 16oz pump bottle. And its about 2/3 gone after a week and a half! I followed the directions to a T and used 10 pumps for the first wash and 5 for the 2nd, and massaged and rinsed well just like they said. Ugh, I'm going back to my old stuff that is cheaper, lasts longer, and works better.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by skinobsessed1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I feel compelled to write a Wen review. I was very cynical but alas, it works very well for my fine/ thin/ over bleached hair which I am trying to grow out (back to my natural color). The most important tidbit of the product which is mentioned by many others is that you DO NOT need to use the full amount of pumps they recommend, that's ridiculous. Use as much as you feel you need to cover your hair/ scalp completely. Then ad a bit more water to get a very *mild* frothing action, and massage massage massage your scalp, then comb through your hair. That's what's gotten me the best best results, and helps me hair detangle. I don't find this greasy or anything. Every two weeks I will use a clarifying shampoo which is what many other reviewers do. Makes sense with or without Wen to get rid of product buildup. Makes my hair very manageable, frizz free, and soft. The new healthy hair growing in is very shiny! I am pleased. Took off a lippie because of course it's too expensive, but whatever it works!