October 21, 2014 | 789 users online

Palettes - Bobbi Brown - Chocolate Eye Palette

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2006 5:55:00 PM More reviews by Kandinsky

Well I had been looking forward to this palette since I first got wind of it last spring on MUA. Unfortunately, I was out of the country when it was released, and found out that it was SOLD OUT in the U.S. Lucky for me, the U.K. had just received the Chocolate collection so I was able to buy this at Harrods- and am I glad I did! What can I say about this that hasn't been said? A fantastic set of neutrals that are perfectly coordinated. Like one of the reviewers below, I am confused why everyone seemed disappointed with these colors- who expected them to be incredibly bright? I needed a solid collection of neutrals that were a no-brainer to coordinate for the days I am in a rush. While the shadows are sheer, you can build them up. For my NC35 skin and dark brown eyes, this is a perfect alternative to a black/gray smokey eye. I would totally buy again excpet it's LE.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2006 11:11:00 PM More reviews by herbie

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i simply adore this palette. its the holy grail of neutrals and you can get them to pop too. So many great shades! When someone asks me for the best basic browns, i say 'BB chocolate' unfortunately, its impposible to find now. I love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2006 5:43:00 PM More reviews by spandexbunny

I think I would agree with the other reviewers that were disappointed with this palette if I was expecting somehting eye-popping from this palette. Looking at it, reading the description, taking it home and using it, I am impressed and amazed at it. This palette does exactly what BB intended it to be used for. A nice neutral/work/light everyday (glammed up for evenings) look. *shrug* Yeah the colors may be a little "boring" but did you really look at it and expect it to be more?

I find the combinations to be spot on and seriously, if you rock the neutrals, you can go a long way with this palette. I can use this on brides to father of the brides, it is that versatile. :) Don't look down on it just cuz the colors aren't awe-inspiring. ;) It's a solid set and gets the most bang for my buck. woot!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2006 4:59:00 PM More reviews by piggiejan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

if you're a girl who likes shimmery stuff, just dont go near this. its really more matte on eyes (even tho there are shimmerwash shadows) and its really something that's brown and neutral so if that's what you're into then yeah go for it. otherwise just stay away.

i'm neutral on it because i guess if its your cup of tea then its a palette you'd like esp since its got a brush and you get a pretty good amt of product for the price. but its not my cup of tea so i dont like it. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2006 6:01:00 AM More reviews by girliex601x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

normally, i love bb... but this palette was quite disappointing. i couldn't get any of the shades to show up, except for the darkest three... and they showed up muddy. one of those three is very similar to bb blonde, which i already have. there are wayyy better neutral palettes out there. sure, maybe they'd have a couple shades less, but the ones in the bb palette didn't even show up on the skin anyways. save ur money on this one!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2006 9:52:00 PM More reviews by nnmca

Wow, I'm so relieved I'm not the only one who wasn't wowed by this palette, I was beginning to feel like a BB traitor! Like many other reviewers, I too was really looking forward to this palette. First of all, it's "chocolate", and being a chocoholic and a big fan of neutrals and browns I knew I would have to have it. Secondly, I LOVE Bobbi Brown and have many other BB eye singles, duos, and palettes and expected this one to exceed those in versatility and value. Unfortunately, after playing with it for several weeks, I found myself disappointed. The shadows do not pack the usual punch I have come to expect from BB. They are sheer, repetitive, and basically allow you to make one neutral eye look - from seven shadows. I'm sorry, but with seven shadows, I expect to get AT LEAST three different looks - a sheer neutral daytime look, a more made-up everyday look, and a smoky evening-out look. Seriously folks, the lighter shades were all so similar (some of which, like the warm sheer gold shade, I would probably never wear), and the darkest shade was nowhere near as dark as I like for lining and contour purposes. At $48 I think the average person would be better off buying two really nice BB singles (might I suggest Bone, Beige and/or Chocolate Shimmerwashes?), or buying a more versatile palette that offers more varied combinations (Tarte A-List or LORAC Snake Charmer, anyone?). Sorry Bobbi, I'm sad to say, this one went back.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2006 8:01:00 PM More reviews by lilylotus

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just like everyone else I was lusting after this palette because it sounds so darn good! The palette itself is just gorgeous. The case is chocolate brown and inside are 7 of the most beautiful looking colours in very warm tones. There's a matte bone colour called "BONE"! that is for under the brows. The last colour "Chocolate" is a matte chocolate colour perfect for lining. In between are various warm but fairly light colours (some shimmery) for the lid and crease but unfortunately they are just way too sheer so they barely show up!

For this amount of money the colours need to be more pigmented.

This was a HUGE disappointed just like the Nude on Nude Shimmer wash palette.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2006 2:16:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This thing is a work of art. The compact color looks like a chocolate bar and the seven colors inside are just gorgeous, ranging from matte to shimmer to matte. Light to dark. Comes with a dual ended e/s-e/l brush. Overall very expensive but worth it. Quality product. Very wearable.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2006 12:20:00 PM More reviews by thelaurenator

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Like many other reviewers, I was seduced by this all-neutral palette. I, for one, love neutrals, but never see many all neutral palettes, so I promptly purchased this product.

I've never tried BB eyeshadows before, and overall, I'm not really wowed. The shadows are VERY soft, not very pigmented at all. They look nice, but definitely only for day, as these would never show up in a dark restaurant or what have you for night time.

I'm a fan of very soft eyelooks but these may be too subtle even for me. I prefer buildable shades that you can make look strong or soft, but no matter how much color I pack onto my makeup brushes, I only get very sheer color with these.

As for the colors themselves, they are positively gorgeous-- too bad they're not just a LITTLE bolder on the skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2006 6:56:00 PM More reviews by biscotti1

I bought into the hype from magazines when I purchased this palette because I needed some more neutral shades and this has several colors to choose from. I am NC43. Most of the shades are VERY MUTED They were recommeneded for women of color but I really prefer more intense browns like some of the colors offered by MAC and Stilla. The shimmers are the best. On my darker skin the Cacao Shimmer Wash and the Chocolate Truffle Shimmer Wash work well as lid colors, In the crease, I use Stone or Chocolate. Chocolate looks like mud and I can't imagine using it as a lid color. It could make a good liner. The Caramel Toffe Shmmer wash and Frappe make good highlighting colors. Bone doesn't show up well on me at all. BB could have salvaged this palette had she put in a bronze color or something with a deeper hue to balance out the muted shades.

Overall, this palette is overrated and overpriced. Don't be misled by pictures on the BB website, the shades are not nearly as intense as they appear online at the BB website.

These are the first BB eyeshadows I have tried and thus far I an unimpressed. I have many BB lipsticks and a couple of blushes but if these are any indication of the regular shadows, I will pass in the future.