December 18, 2014 | 1821 users online

Moisturizers - La Mer - Creme de la mer moisturizer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2014 4:24:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have normal to combination skin, I found this cream way too heavy for me. I warmed it between my fingers for application, but my skin felt coated and it made my pores look worse. Also i found it slightly irritating, my skin was left blotchy and red in areas after use. Its stupidly expensive for a cream which i consider no better than any drugstore brand. I would highly recommend getting a sample to try first!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2014 9:26:00 AM More reviews by Rhonda2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an over-priced moisturizer. It softens and brightens skin but no better than $50 dollar creams, such as Murad. It's over-priced by about a hundred bucks lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by BoyBeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This moisturiser to start is by far one of my favourite! Despite it being one of the most criticised products of all time it more than lives up to its claims!

First of all the ritual makes it a little more interesting. You take a small scoop on the provided tool, recommended that you use the smaller side. You en rub the product in between your fingertips until it has changed from white to clear. You then gently pat the product in to your face starting from the outer edges of the face paying particular attention to drier areas.

The product is very thick and white in colour. The thickness makes it easier to scoop out compared to a more creamier moisturiser. It has a very similar scent to the original Nivea creme however it is slightly more fresh...?

The packaging is luxurious! It comes in a porcelain jar which has quite some weight to it. Upon opening the box the porcelain jar is sat in a plastic holder with the scoop underneath. This is ideal for keeping the product on a dresser or shelf for easy access. The product is however is not the best for travelling but if you purchase this from a counter in Selfridges, Harvey Nichols etc... (UK) and even online you can get deluxe sample sizes with purchase! The staff are more than happy to provide these!

When applying the product the thickness may be a bit overwhelming however providing you apply the right amount it should absorb rather quickly! The hydration it provides is amazing! Being in my early twenties and a boy with combination skin I love love love this product as it did not break me out whatsoever.

I applied this product after my daily serum (Genefique) in case you were wandering when to apply etc...

I also put this and the original Nivea to the test over 6 weeks. Both products as mentioned are very similar however I noticed that my skin was much more oily when using Nivea. I also noticed a much more noticeable difference on the la mer side of my face which was more glowing and soft!

Definitely worth the splurge. The product retails for £105 in the UK for 30ml/1oz or roughly $155 in the USA. Not sure on the AUS prices though! Sorry!

Overall an excellent product!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2014 8:06:00 PM More reviews by PhoenixAnna

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Green

HOW TO CORRECTLY USE LA MER: Take out a small amount in your clean fingers and rub the La Mer between your fingers till it is warm--and then you pat it on your face where you want it to go. If you are slathering it on, no wonder it feels gloppy. You use very, very little. I had a La Mer Consultant teach me and one jar went 2-1/2 months for me....and it worked great, too.
I don't buy it anymore as I am no longer working and retired, but it is a great product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by GwenNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this cream on and off since my 20's, and always come back to it. I think people are quick to judge this product, since it was among the first cult moisturizers. I've used far more expensive creams from La Prairie (Skin Caviar Luxe), Sisley and Guerlain to name a few. None consistently wow me like the original Crème de la Mer.

I mainly use the cream at night, since it's so rich. First I use La Mer's Foaming Cleanser, Chantecaille's Pure Rosewater or Clé de Peau Gentle Balancing Lotion as my toners, La Mer The Concentrate as my serum (I love the soothing properties, and it also helps redness and old acne scars) and finish with Crème de la Mer. This nightly formula has been magic for my skin. I never wear foundation or powder, and my skin glows. I gave an oily t-zone, so I use a light touch when applying to my nose and skip my chin altogether (I do apply the serum on my chin).

One jar lasts me about two months, with nightly use. I don't need to use too much of the cream, which I emulsify in my hands before applying over The Concentrate. I literally can't say enough great things about this cream. My skin glows, and I've nary a wrinkle yet.

NB: it's so gentle that you can even use it on your eye area, including eyelids.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2014 4:55:00 AM More reviews by clasp

This product is over rated!! I just breakouts from using this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 6:09:00 PM More reviews by mcolumbia76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My opinion is that this should only be used by people with very dry skin, and that it should only be used under the eyes and laugh lines, where you really need reinforced hydration. I used this a few times all over my face, but realized that it had the most results under my eyes and around my mouth. Otherwise, putting it on the rest of my face was a waste of effort and money, even though this cream is supposed to be meant for the whole face. I actually use Yu-Be cream on the rest of my face, with La Mer going under my eyes and laugh muscles. I have very sensitive skin, and Yu-Be is fantastic for alleviating dryness and calming sensitivities for the rest of my face. I tried to break up with La Mer by using cheaper creams, but no other cream works better under my eyes (SO FAR). With the hefty price tag, using it as an eye and lip contour cream will definitely make it last a while. I think its richness may be why it's so good for under the eyes and laugh muscles. However, I think the same richness that would improve a dry under eye area would be a huge negative for the rest of your face--especially if the rest of your face is not as dry, thin, or sensitive. I have seen people with oily skin or normal skin try this rich cream and get disastrous results. I can say from my experience that it's a fantastic cream--but I have really dry skin that demands strong hydration--and even then I only use in targeted areas. I do think it is tricky to recommend this cream, because it depends on your skin and needs. If you have normal to oily skin and you have no acne or wrinkles, this cream cannot do anything for you. It's like giving money to the rich basically. Does a billionaire notice an extra $10,000 lying under the couch cushions? But if you're like me (dry sensitive), then yes it can be extremely effective.

*addendum--I was able to break up with Creme de la Mer with Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado. The results with Kiehl's was actually slightly better--the lines under my eyes are even more faint now. While Kiehl's isn't exactly cheap, it's still a bargain compared to La Mer.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by lovetolookgreat

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Brilliant for scarring

I am very unfortunately, badly scarred. I got this cream and have been using it for over 10 years and it is brilliant, has really softened my scars and reduced the redness.
Also, with the purchase of one 30ml pot (£130) online, you get all the following FREE:
another jar 15ml (half the size)
a 15ml bottle of the treatment lotion
3 small 3ml samples: I chose to get the eye balm intense, the moisturising gel and the spf 50 protecting fluid.

I think this is a brilliant bargain! The cream itself is really nicely packaged. It does an amazing job and if your prepared to splurge I definitely recommend it. I know some have found they have a problem with the cream so you might want to try some or ask for a free sample at a la mer counter.

If you have scarring, then it is superb, and also works brilliantly on my mum for wrinkles.

Also, there is brilliant online service, mine was dispatched the day I ordered it, and was delivered two days later (they were bank holidays).

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2014 11:44:00 PM More reviews by happycookie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I decided to leave a comment about La Mer in hopes that others can learn from my mistake. I have been using Chanel skin care products for the past 16 years. I know I know, Chanel is not a skin care company, but still, from my very first experience at the counter till now, I have never had any problems. The representative at the department store is knowledgeable and has never tried to sell me products that I didn't need. I have always had flawless skin (no acne, break-outs, etc.) and have always gotten compliments on my skin. With that said, turning 33, I decided to try La Mer, after reading so many rave reviews and also hearing it from friends. I currently reside outside of US, but on my recent trip, I visited the department store to meet with a La Mer Rep to see what she/he advises. The first rep wanted to do nothing but sell me products. She had advised me to buy both the heavy and soft cream (over $310 each for 2 oz) using one at night and the other in the morning. I decided against that and only bought the heavy cream at first. The second Rep came back after lunch and told me that its too strong (this is after the first Rep had rung me up and I had purchased it). So, the second Rep than switched out my order. I flew back home and I was excited to start using La Mer.
Little did I know, within 3 days, my skin started to break out, I had acne, and my skin was itchy. I had thought perhaps it was because I had flown, change of water, climate, etc. BUT I have never, ever experienced anything like this before. I decided to only use La Mer once a day to see, and my skin was still breaking out. At night, I would wake up itching my face. I stopped using it and I saw my facialist and dermatologist and discovered that the product was not agreeing with me. If I had bought the heavy cream, things would have been a lot worse. I had to spend over $500 to get my skin under control.
This is the worse part. I had contacted La Mer to see what I could do to return the unused portion of the cream and to let them know what had happen. I was completely ignored for a week. I sent another e-mail which was responded to within three days, no apologizes, just your previous e-mail is being processed. If you would like to directly contact the costumer support, here is their e-mail address or phone number. I than sent a follow-up email to La Mer, and it has now been three weeks since I had originally wrote them the first e-mail with no response to my original question.
For spending over $300, I would expect some sort of response, even if it is, I am sorry but there isn't anything we can do for you. I understand their online return policy (after my panic attacks I had sit and read the return policy), but if this was any other electronic products or anything of the sort of spending upwards of $300, I would at least expect a response. My advise, go to the La Mer counter first, ask for samples (they really do not like handing these samples out either) and try it first before investing. I had really high hopes for the product, and I am truly disappointed not with the product (everyone has different skin), but rather with the company that can treat their costumers in this fashion. I hope others can learn from my mistake. Those who have had positive results with La Mer, I am very happy for you. But, you only truly know how a company treats its costumers when something goes wrong.

23 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by redsunset

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I acquired a small sample jar of this product and considering the price I had high expectations of it. It had a nice rich texture and did a good job of moisturising my dry sensitive skin with no negative reactions, however it was nothing special. I have used much cheaper creams that worked just as well. If I had purchased the full size jar, although I would have used it, I would not have repurchased as it doesn't produce any outstanding results for the outrageous price.