July 24, 2014 | 1361 users online

Styling Products - cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryViking

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Simply Amazing. I've worn this all day and not a shiny to be found! Granted, it is fairly cool right now, but that never stopped the oilies before.

I saw some of the reviews on here and decided to give it a go. I bought some of the J&J medicated cornstarch powder to use and it works excellently as a body powder for use on my things, underarms and cleavage.

However for use as a face powder this particular powder left something to be desired.I"m olive-toned and I have dark hair, so cornstarch wasn't ideal.That was until I decided to make my own.

I picked up a jar at hobby lobby to store my concoction in and I started with a 50/50 mixture of cornstarch and rice flour. I then added unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon and talcum powder for color as well as for the anti-bacterial properties of the latter two. Then end result was a flesh-colored powder that made my face matte and flawless. I just dip my brush into the jar and tap it on the mouth to get the excess off. I use this mixture for my hair and face.

I love this so much I'm thinking of making my own powder-based makeup with cornstarch and rice powder if I can find the right pigments.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by julilee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have used cornstarch as a setting powder, dry shampoo, and feminine powder. (The Summer's Eve powder is basically cornstarch.)

I normally don't use face powder, so I'm not sure how it compares to others. Don't use if you don't want to look dewy, and as others have warned, don't use too much! You don't want white patches/streaks on your face. Google "Nicole Kidman/Uma Thurman makeup malfunction" for examples.

As a dry shampoo or feminine powder, I wouldn't recommend it. It shows in the hair (maybe not if you have light hair?), and dries out the scalp (although I guess that's what it's there to do).

Don't ask about its use as feminine powder. I'll leave it at "gross."

UPDATE:
I am using cornstarch more regularly in my makeup routine these days, so I wanted to give an update.

Even well-blended on a fairer gal, cornstarch makes me look like a ghost when I use it on my whole face, and I've been too lazy to do the DIY color customizing thing.

HOWEVER, I read somewhere that it could be used for setting eye makeup and upon trying it myself found that it is VERY well-suited for that purpose.

The first time I tried it, I daubed a TINY bit over my eyeliner. I really didn't think it would work, but it didn't affect the color much and worked very well at keeping things in place. I was happy with the results, but because it does slightly dull the color of the eye makeup, I only use this method if I have heavily applied a softer eyeliner that I'm scared will melt.

My normal routine is to put a VERY SMALL AMOUNT (so that I can hardly even see it) on my ring finger before applying eye makeup and rub it (gently) all over the eye area. My undereye concealer is kind of greasy, so I put it on after that and make sure to BLEND, BLEND, BLEND. It works better than UD Primer Potion for me! The difference is that PP is a little sticky and makes it harder to blend the makeup. The cornstarch absorbs oil and therefore prevents your makeup from creasing or melting into your under-eye area, but since it's a silky powder, it does not affect blending. And because you're using so little, it doesn't affect your eyeshadow's color payoff either. Honestly, cornstarch is now my HG eyeshadow primer. Who knew?

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 6:03:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

I bought and used up a can of Psssst! mainly out of curiosity and it was okay, but it had a strong smell and holy wow was it cold. When the Psssst! ran out I tried cornstarch and was pleasantly surprised. The only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty of applying it neatly -- I have to put it in (and brush it out) before I put on whatever shirt I want to wear that day. I rub it into my roots as best I can, wait about 5 minutes and then bend over at the waist and brush, brush, brush with my gentle Denman paddle brush. The thing that surprised me the most was how shiny my hair looks afterward, as long as I brush enough. It does have a lot of body and looks clean. The cornstarch leaves a slight grabby texture that I really like on second-day hair for doing updos or rolls (my hair is almost shoulder length with a few layers).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Beffie40

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use cornstarch on days I don't wash my hair to absorb oil. I use just a dusting on my fingertips, then I rake through hair at the scalp. It adds super volume too!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by TLHGM

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

1) i heard about this product on another website that claims it causes breakouts.

im on school holidays now so i thought i would try out this product whilst im at home (dont wanna risk a breakout during school days)!

i tried this yesterday at home - and i have to say that today my skin looks even CLEARER when i woke up today (free facial maybe?:p) ! and i have oily skin so i have to be careful about the products i apply on my face ..so to those who get breakouts from using this : one word - remember to CLEANSE well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then you'll be safe from breakouts:)

2) if you have dry patches of skin this will show up and cling to those dry flakes and make them even whiter and more obvious so try mixing it with some powder foundation/loose powder preferably a few shades darker so you will get a matching colour to your skin tone when you eventually mix this white powder in

3) corn starch and corn FLOUr are different - i bought flour and found it is less fine than the corn starch

4) super cheappppp!

5) i tried washing off the powder after application.. it seems to make ur skin seem even silkier and less oily after that! (the powder can be a little rough imo) so if you dont want so much powder on your face maybe you could try dabbing a little bit of water over your face after application (just a little so you wont affect your makeup) and watch your skin turn silky smooooooooooooooth!!!!!!:)

just some of my observations! havent been able to test this product for longer periods of time because like i said, its school holidays! but i trust it works :))

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been using this for months as a body powder..Love it. I buy the organic one, still super cheap. Feels so silky. Great stuff And all natural!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The best, inexpensive, economical, healthy face powder you can find. Every grocery store has it, name brand or generic-doesn't matter at all. I just put some in a little clean sifter jar and apply as one normally would with whatever brush is a favorite. Very pleased. One box lasts for years as well. Marvelous. My skin is light enough (MAC nc20 for ref) and it is perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2012 12:08:00 PM More reviews by kpow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, I have officially gone the uber granola route with skincare in hopes that my late thirty year old skin will stop erupting and my giant pores will look, if not smaller, then at least clearer. After much research I have decided upon the simple routine of using a diluted ACV mixture all over my face then using cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil over that and now, thanks to all the MUAers I have also incorporated cornstarch into the mix. And so far so good! As for makeup I use some concealer on pesky spots and under eye issues and I mixed up some cornstarch with cocoa powder (for a not-so-geisha look) and behold I have beautiful skin even in daylight! Seriously, where did my pores go? Awesome!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 3:38:00 PM More reviews by girlygirl3047

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Guess what, if you have dark hair you can also use the cocoa corn starch combo as a dry shampoo. Works great!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

Let me just add my raves to this idea and say that I never would have even thought to try something like this if it wasn't for MUA! I blended a couple tablespoons of cornstarch with about a half teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and used a large bronzer brush to apply. I just dipped the brush into the small tupperware bowl I used to mix it in, tapped off the excess, and brushed it on my bare skin just to get an idea of how well it works. Here are the pros:

1. applies easily, no chalkiness or settling into fine lines and pores
2. a light chocolate smell...much more pleasant than the heavily perfumed smells of most powders.
3. antioxidants in the cocoa powder.
4. instantly mattifying
5. all-natural and CHEAP! A box of cornstarch is rarely more than $1 and will last well over a year.
6. translucent (when applied lightly)

Cons
You'll have to find a suitable container for this. I didn't have any used powder containers lying around as I am a neat freak, so I am just using a tupperware bowl with a lid.

Also, this can get messy if you aren't careful. But then again, so can most powders.

I am really happy I tried this and doubt I will be purchasing loose powder again for a very long time!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No