April 20, 2014 | 1782 users online

Styling Products - cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Beffie40

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use cornstarch on days I don't wash my hair to absorb oil. I use just a dusting on my fingertips, then I rake through hair at the scalp. It adds super volume too!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by TLHGM

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

1) i heard about this product on another website that claims it causes breakouts.

im on school holidays now so i thought i would try out this product whilst im at home (dont wanna risk a breakout during school days)!

i tried this yesterday at home - and i have to say that today my skin looks even CLEARER when i woke up today (free facial maybe?:p) ! and i have oily skin so i have to be careful about the products i apply on my face ..so to those who get breakouts from using this : one word - remember to CLEANSE well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then you'll be safe from breakouts:)

2) if you have dry patches of skin this will show up and cling to those dry flakes and make them even whiter and more obvious so try mixing it with some powder foundation/loose powder preferably a few shades darker so you will get a matching colour to your skin tone when you eventually mix this white powder in

3) corn starch and corn FLOUr are different - i bought flour and found it is less fine than the corn starch

4) super cheappppp!

5) i tried washing off the powder after application.. it seems to make ur skin seem even silkier and less oily after that! (the powder can be a little rough imo) so if you dont want so much powder on your face maybe you could try dabbing a little bit of water over your face after application (just a little so you wont affect your makeup) and watch your skin turn silky smooooooooooooooth!!!!!!:)

just some of my observations! havent been able to test this product for longer periods of time because like i said, its school holidays! but i trust it works :))

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been using this for months as a body powder..Love it. I buy the organic one, still super cheap. Feels so silky. Great stuff And all natural!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The best, inexpensive, economical, healthy face powder you can find. Every grocery store has it, name brand or generic-doesn't matter at all. I just put some in a little clean sifter jar and apply as one normally would with whatever brush is a favorite. Very pleased. One box lasts for years as well. Marvelous. My skin is light enough (MAC nc20 for ref) and it is perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2012 12:08:00 PM More reviews by kpow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, I have officially gone the uber granola route with skincare in hopes that my late thirty year old skin will stop erupting and my giant pores will look, if not smaller, then at least clearer. After much research I have decided upon the simple routine of using a diluted ACV mixture all over my face then using cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil over that and now, thanks to all the MUAers I have also incorporated cornstarch into the mix. And so far so good! As for makeup I use some concealer on pesky spots and under eye issues and I mixed up some cornstarch with cocoa powder (for a not-so-geisha look) and behold I have beautiful skin even in daylight! Seriously, where did my pores go? Awesome!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 3:38:00 PM More reviews by girlygirl3047

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Guess what, if you have dark hair you can also use the cocoa corn starch combo as a dry shampoo. Works great!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

Let me just add my raves to this idea and say that I never would have even thought to try something like this if it wasn't for MUA! I blended a couple tablespoons of cornstarch with about a half teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and used a large bronzer brush to apply. I just dipped the brush into the small tupperware bowl I used to mix it in, tapped off the excess, and brushed it on my bare skin just to get an idea of how well it works. Here are the pros:

1. applies easily, no chalkiness or settling into fine lines and pores
2. a light chocolate smell...much more pleasant than the heavily perfumed smells of most powders.
3. antioxidants in the cocoa powder.
4. instantly mattifying
5. all-natural and CHEAP! A box of cornstarch is rarely more than $1 and will last well over a year.
6. translucent (when applied lightly)

Cons
You'll have to find a suitable container for this. I didn't have any used powder containers lying around as I am a neat freak, so I am just using a tupperware bowl with a lid.

Also, this can get messy if you aren't careful. But then again, so can most powders.

I am really happy I tried this and doubt I will be purchasing loose powder again for a very long time!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by alanec

Omg. I don't know why I never tried this before.

I have very pale skin with pinkish undertones, so it's near impossible to find a foundation in my shade. Also, I only need something to even out my skin tone (slight acne scars and discoloration, along with some dark circles). I followed one girl's advice on this thread and mixed corn starch with a slight amount of unsweetened cocoa powder (very thoroughly), and just, wow. I'll list the pros/cons here:

Benefits:
-You can't tell you're wearing anything
-You're face feels smooth and natural
-It leaves you with a slight chocolate scent
-It's dirt cheap-I have enough product to last me for at least a year
-It evens out your skin tone beautifully

Downsides:
-You only need a tiny amount of the cornstarch/cocoa powder mixture, or else your face will be left looking a little powdery
-I wouldn't recommend this as a foundation if you need a heavy foundation or to cover up, unless you set with a primer before applying the mixture first.

Basically, I don't know why I paid so much money for makeup when the answer was in my kitchen cupboard all along. It's absolutely wonderful, and I highly recommend that you try it. ;)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 8:07:00 PM More reviews by CoolerBeans

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

RE: Cornstarch + Unsweetened Cocoa

OK...this sounds really nuts but for years and years I've been using a $40/small bottle mineral powder foundation. I have it in several tones which can be mixed. I also have oily skin - that I thought would dry up now that I'm almost (cough, gag) 50. I never use liquid/cream foundation.

I read somewhere that a gal who was into homesteading, etc. had mixed up cornstart + unsweetened cocoa (for color) for use as powder make-up. I thought, "Well, cocoa is an antioxidant..." and I thought I'd give it a try.

OMG! I love it. I mixed up just enough unsweetened cocoa to match my skin tone and it looks great. I use a big fluffy brush to apply this mixture (as used for the mineral foundation) and polish until the excess is removed.

I still like my mineral powder as it adds an interesting tone/sheen. But a base of the corn start + cocoa mixture keeps the shine away and I love how my skin feels. I need a "blot" once per day (afternoon) instead of 3-4-5 times a day. Here it is 8 p.m. and after a little blot - my skin doesn't feel make me feel like I'm desperate to wash it.

Sounds crazy - but give it a try. God love this woman whoever she is. My oily skin is managed + I can stretch the mineral powder make-up. Thanks for reading this and I hope it helps someone else!

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by dtormon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

It does a pretty good job at keeping oil at bay, but be careful because a little too much will leave a white cast and dry your skin out.