August 27, 2014 | 997 users online

Self Tanners - Dove - Summer Glow

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by MiriamRSmith92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

Not such a fan of this product, I did use it for a while, as my Self tanning stuff, and it smells a bit bad, it left me quite blotchy as well, you really need to concentrate on making sure its all even. The packaging I found quite annoying as well because I had to keep it turned upside down so that I could get the product out properly when I used it. Now I use St Moritz which is a kind of copy of St Tropez, waaay cheaper, not sure you can get it in the us but its like 2.99 here.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/16/2011 5:42:00 AM More reviews by roxanabanana

i had amazing expectations for this one,lol,but no no,the smell when u wake up is like..the worse of them all,with garnier summerbody u cant smell that bad,wth this one is like..the smell is so strong everybody notices,and the colour is not that great,and although i exfoliate ll the time,knees went very dark and weird lol

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2011 11:44:00 AM More reviews by JC2004237

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the 'normal to dark' skin variety... At this time of the year (winter) I'm quite pale, so I probably could go for the lighter version. However I always find with gradual tanners that the lighter colour turns be orange and I get a golden glow from the darker colour...

This product is easy to apply, non streaky, only has a slight smell, and doesn't get very sticky like most gradual tanners do. However it does not turn my skin a golden brown colour, after 3 applications it turned my skin an awful yellow (heading towards orange) colour. I've tried less applications, and he colour payoff is not even worth the bother. Dove I had so much faith in you, you've done so well for me in the past... Unfortunately not this time!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by RosieRawr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Being very pale i'm naturally weary of self tanners, but having been recommended this by a fellow fair skinned friend I decided to go for it. It's easy to apply, I rub it into my skin in small circles to avoid streaks and it leaves me feeling so soft and shimmery.
I don't usually see any difference in colour until the day after when I get a lovely bronze glow which last for around 2 days. I've tried reapplying for a few consecutive days but find I turn orange very quickly, this is probably because of how pale I am but i'm happy enough with the result that 1 days application gives me so it's not a problem :)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2011 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Shillise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product comes in both 'Fair to Normal' and 'Normal to Dark' skin types which is great! The best thing about this product is that it is a moisturiser AND gradual tanner.

I have very pale skin and find both shades work well. Sometimes if I'm looking for a less obvious tan, but still want some colour, I use the lighter one. I generally use the darker one as it only takes about 1-2 uses for me to go a nice brown colour.

You can definitely trust the colour of this tanner! Because you are in control of the depth of tan, you can stop whenever you are happy with it! I personally find anymore than 4 uses of the lighter one for me can start turning into an orange oompa loompa shade.

One thing I have to say (which should really go without saying!) is EXFOLIATE! With any kind of tanner, whether it be spray on or a gradual tanner - you must exfoliate! Always have a nice fresh canvas before applying fake tanner. This removes all the dead skin and any buildup which could cause the tanner to go patchy/streaky. It also helps to have a shave before use too as shaving can sometimes cause streaking (usually once the product starts to wear off)

To use this product I first have a shower and exfoliate and shave, this gives me a nice fresh canvas to work on. Once completely dry I apply the tanner all over my body, taking special care around my knees, feet, elbows and armpits (you may want to go lightly on these areas). I also do my face with it (this is a personal preference), always make sure you do your neck and behind your ears! I then stand stark naked for about 20 minutes while it drys - make sure it is dried completely before you get dressed, go to bed etc. I also try avoid bending too much while it is drying to avoid lines.

I have found that with my dry skin it can get a little patchy when wearing off - it really depends on how much you have used and your skintype. Sometimes it comes off without me noticing, and other times I need to get the exfoliating gloves on and buff it off.

Overall I think this is an amazing product - it looks great for a good price!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2011 10:29:00 PM More reviews by jsska

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i have seen a difference when i use this, i have the medium to dark. and at first i seen a difference but now that i use it everyday not so much, i do use it as a moisteriser aswell as my palmers cocoa butter formula, and it's great.
really would reccomend it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2011 1:57:00 AM More reviews by pinkfrost52

I brought the 'Fair to Normal Skin' one as I'm currently a bit pale since we are in Autumn heading into Winter here in NZ. I like that I can control how dark I want to get since its gradual so I don't look like I have gone out and gotten a really bad spray fake tan. This is not orange at all! Hallelujah!! (A big problem I find with fake tanners in the past). It made my skin a light golden brown. I exfoliated the first time I used this and applied it every day after showering for the last 4 days. I'm starting to see a 'glow' in my skin and I'm about two shades darker which looks natural. I've stopped using it for the time being since I'm happy with the shade now, but can always go back to it. This smells really good like the other Dove products and has left my skin super silky smooth!! I didn't get any streaking or darker patches from this product since I exfoliated, but I'm sure I would have if I didn't. It absorbs fairly quickly depending on how much you apply, and doesn't transfer even if you sweat. Pretty pleased and happy with it! :) It also comes in a 'Normal to Dark' shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2011 8:56:00 AM More reviews by sailette

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! If you don't then this product is simply not going to work.
When I use the product, I exfoliate at the beginning then build it up over a period of about 5 days. Any more then that then it gets patchy and starts to turn a slight orange.
It is really moisturizing but be sure that you rub it in good.
I love the tan it builds up since it looks natural, but I'm sure that there are better products out there, hence the 4 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2011 8:40:00 AM More reviews by xificanthaveyou

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Dove's self tanner is the only tanner I'll ever use. I'm a dancer (cheerleading and other) so I have my periods of self tanning abuse! But trust me, I hate the orange tint more than anything, too, and this is nothing like that if you use it right. You really need to work it into your skin, but it gives nice results and doesn't stain your hands if you wash them well after using this.
The packaging is alright (it gets messy if you're not careful) and the price is great for what (and the amount) you get.
Would definitely repurchase!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2010 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Mandibulo

Mmmkay, kinda disappointed by you there, dear Dove. I've been loyal to this brand since I was a teen, and now here comes this so-called self-tanner to pop my bubble. This turns your skin yellow. Not orange, or golden, or copper, or tan. Yellow. A friend of mine once even said "lemony yellow". Yeah, you don't get the oh so desirable "Hey, have you been to the beach?" question with this one. You're more likely to hear "You look... different. Is it the... tan?" (a term which of course is used due to common courtesy, as what they really mean is "the awkward yellowness"). Ok, it is a moisturizing body lotion, beautifully scented, with not much of a sticky residue, but with too much YELLOW, plus several complementary chunks of shimmer thrown in. You can build this up in time with daily use and your color will indeed change gradually and evenly, the same way it will fade when you stop using it. But the result does not look natural at all, so I won't repurchase.