Dove Summer Glow

3.3

I really do not like this stuff at all. Firstly it smells absolutely disgusting and the smell stays on your skin days later, and it is also really sticky for some reason - it didn't soak into my skin very much at all. I also found that sometimes when I applied it for a few days in a row I didn't see any results, while at other times I could.

And as for the colour, it doesn't look natural at all. I bought the light to medium bottle and after applying it once for only two days I was teriyaki orange! I hate to think what the medium to dark cream would be like.

Definitely not buying this again

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is my life saver. For me it's pretty much impossible to get a tan in this english weather so to stop me looking like a flaky ghost I always wear Summer Glow. It gives me an even coverage but doesnt make me look like a carrot. It also keeps my skin smooth and hydrated. Its my cheap, easy solution to a full on fake tan (or a real tan!)

Hair: Other, Kinky, Other

Not such a fan of this product, I did use it for a while, as my Self tanning stuff, and it smells a bit bad, it left me quite blotchy as well, you really need to concentrate on making sure its all even. The packaging I found quite annoying as well because I had to keep it turned upside down so that I could get the product out properly when I used it. Now I use St Moritz which is a kind of copy of St Tropez, waaay cheaper, not sure you can get it in the us but its like 2.99 here.

on 8/16/2011 5:42:00 AM

i had amazing expectations for this one,lol,but no no,the smell when u wake up is like..the worse of them all,with garnier summerbody u cant smell that bad,wth this one is like..the smell is so strong everybody notices,and the colour is not that great,and although i exfoliate ll the time,knees went very dark and weird lol

on 7/5/2011 11:44:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

I bought the 'normal to dark' skin variety... At this time of the year (winter) I'm quite pale, so I probably could go for the lighter version. However I always find with gradual tanners that the lighter colour turns be orange and I get a golden glow from the darker colour...

This product is easy to apply, non streaky, only has a slight smell, and doesn't get very sticky like most gradual tanners do. However it does not turn my skin a golden brown colour, after 3 applications it turned my skin an awful yellow (heading towards orange) colour. I've tried less applications, and he colour payoff is not even worth the bother. Dove I had so much faith in you, you've done so well for me in the past... Unfortunately not this time!

on 6/22/2011 10:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Being very pale i'm naturally weary of self tanners, but having been recommended this by a fellow fair skinned friend I decided to go for it. It's easy to apply, I rub it into my skin in small circles to avoid streaks and it leaves me feeling so soft and shimmery.
I don't usually see any difference in colour until the day after when I get a lovely bronze glow which last for around 2 days. I've tried reapplying for a few consecutive days but find I turn orange very quickly, this is probably because of how pale I am but i'm happy enough with the result that 1 days application gives me so it's not a problem :)

on 6/7/2011 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This product comes in both 'Fair to Normal' and 'Normal to Dark' skin types which is great! The best thing about this product is that it is a moisturiser AND gradual tanner.

I have very pale skin and find both shades work well. Sometimes if I'm looking for a less obvious tan, but still want some colour, I use the lighter one. I generally use the darker one as it only takes about 1-2 uses for me to go a nice brown colour.

You can definitely trust the colour of this tanner! Because you are in control of the depth of tan, you can stop whenever you are happy with it! I personally find anymore than 4 uses of the lighter one for me can start turning into an orange oompa loompa shade.

One thing I have to say (which should really go without saying!) is EXFOLIATE! With any kind of tanner, whether it be spray on or a gradual tanner - you must exfoliate! Always have a nice fresh canvas before applying fake tanner. This removes all the dead skin and any buildup which could cause the tanner to go patchy/streaky. It also helps to have a shave before use too as shaving can sometimes cause streaking (usually once the product starts to wear off)

To use this product I first have a shower and exfoliate and shave, this gives me a nice fresh canvas to work on. Once completely dry I apply the tanner all over my body, taking special care around my knees, feet, elbows and armpits (you may want to go lightly on these areas). I also do my face with it (this is a personal preference), always make sure you do your neck and behind your ears! I then stand stark naked for about 20 minutes while it drys - make sure it is dried completely before you get dressed, go to bed etc. I also try avoid bending too much while it is drying to avoid lines.

I have found that with my dry skin it can get a little patchy when wearing off - it really depends on how much you have used and your skintype. Sometimes it comes off without me noticing, and other times I need to get the exfoliating gloves on and buff it off.

Overall I think this is an amazing product - it looks great for a good price!

on 5/7/2011 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

i have seen a difference when i use this, i have the medium to dark. and at first i seen a difference but now that i use it everyday not so much, i do use it as a moisteriser aswell as my palmers cocoa butter formula, and it's great.
really would reccomend it.

on 4/30/2011 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I brought the 'Fair to Normal Skin' one as I'm currently a bit pale since we are in Autumn heading into Winter here in NZ. I like that I can control how dark I want to get since its gradual so I don't look like I have gone out and gotten a really bad spray fake tan. This is not orange at all! Hallelujah!! (A big problem I find with fake tanners in the past). It made my skin a light golden brown. I exfoliated the first time I used this and applied it every day after showering for the last 4 days. I'm starting to see a 'glow' in my skin and I'm about two shades darker which looks natural. I've stopped using it for the time being since I'm happy with the shade now, but can always go back to it. This smells really good like the other Dove products and has left my skin super silky smooth!! I didn't get any streaking or darker patches from this product since I exfoliated, but I'm sure I would have if I didn't. It absorbs fairly quickly depending on how much you apply, and doesn't transfer even if you sweat. Pretty pleased and happy with it! :) It also comes in a 'Normal to Dark' shade.

on 2/9/2011 8:56:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! If you don't then this product is simply not going to work.
When I use the product, I exfoliate at the beginning then build it up over a period of about 5 days. Any more then that then it gets patchy and starts to turn a slight orange.
It is really moisturizing but be sure that you rub it in good.
I love the tan it builds up since it looks natural, but I'm sure that there are better products out there, hence the 4 lippies.