Buf Puf Face Sponge-Gentle

4.6

on 2/22/2009 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Buf Puf is simple, but effective. I loved these when I was younger and re-discovered them about a year ago. The sponge does a great job at physical exfoliation. If you are using chemical exfoliants, you won't need to use this very often.

I also love use it in the shower on my legs, elbows, etc. You can find these at almost any drugstore as well as online. I also like the regular one for the body and the Buf-Puf Singles that come in a pack of 40 for traveling.

on 2/9/2009 3:31:00 PM

I ♥love♥ my Buf-Puf! I've been using these since I was a teen. (I'm "old" so that's 20 years!) I use the Gentle (peach color) or Extra gentle (pink) twice a day as part of my normal face-cleansing routine. I *never* feel really clean if I don't use my Buf-Puf. I use very light pressure and I am careful not to over-scrub. That's the key. They eventually get smooshed--I replace my Buf Pufs about every 2 months.

These have become harder and harder to find. I usually get them at Ulta (US $3.99 each). I buy 3 with a "$3.50 off $10" coupon which, with tax, makes them just under $3 each. What a deal!
Call me a Buf-Puf snob but I do not use (or recommend) the drugstore brands!! The quality varies greatly and some are super abrasive. They can really damage your skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I just started wearing foundation again recently. Upon application, I noticed that the skin on my nose was incredibly dry and my make-up would gunk up there and look awful. My moistuizer is great on the rest of my face, but for some reason doesn't moisturize my nose area well. In any case, I came across Buf-Pufs in Ulta tonight and I had a teenage flashback; I can't believe they still make these! I was about to purchase LORAC's skin resurfacer for $32, but decided on the Buf-Puf instead to save myself some money. Plus, LORAC's product had three different types of oils in the ingredients list; not good for my already oily, acne-prone skin. I ended up purchasing the gentle Buf-Puf and after I used it, I couldn't believe how baby soft my skin was. And the dry, scaly skin on my nose was noticably reduced. Hopefully, the dryness will disappear completely with regular use. Will repurchase if it does.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this!!! I used this ALL thru high school and it did help make my face smooth and keep my complexion somewhat clear. I would use whatever facial cleanser was my fav at the time and I'd hop in the shower and vigorously scrub my face. I repurchased these up until I found St. Ives Medicated/Blemish Control Scrub..then I felt they were too harsh to use both together. Now, that I'm older and wiser...I've come to realize that I don't have to have a harsh scrubber or product....microfiber cloths are AMAZING at exfoliating (which is what Buf Puf does) and they are cheaper in the long run. So, in all....this product will always be near and dear to my heart, BUT its not the HG it once was.

on 9/12/2008 2:25:00 AM

Awesome! Feels a bit rough at first which disconcerts me but it didn't make my face red or irritated at all. In fact my skin looked buffed! Smoother and brighter. $4.99 is a steal considering the price of exfoliators and scrubs. Instead of putting my face wash onto the sponge as directed, I massage it onto my skin then use circular motions with the buf puf. Flawless! Glowing!

*UPDATE*
This is definitely NOT a daily use product (unless you have a lot of build up) it will start to irritate/redden skin that's sensitive if used daily, so I bumped this down to 2 lippies. Use about once a week to strip face of dead skin.

UPDATE
I had to chuck this because thinking about the bacteria breeding in the sponge freaked me out and the texture on my skin is just generally unpleasant. I'd recommend this for use on rough patches on the body.

on 9/5/2008 2:05:00 PM

HG cleansing product. I love the Gentle version for the face, and the Regular for the body. The material reminds me of the pad used to scrub grease from dishes, but the Buf-Puf becomes more gentle with time. I would say it lasts about 1.5 to 2 months. My skin is more glowing and radiant, and I've received many compliments on how bright my lips look since I started using the Buf-Puf. It is perfect at removing dead cells and was exactly what I was looking for.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I actually use the regular Buf Puf, not the gentle one, in conjunction with my Purpose liquid cleanser. This started when the local Walgreens ran out of my beloved St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub and I couldn't find a decent substitute scrub. Then I rediscovered this oldie-but-goodie that turns any cleanser into the best scrub you ever used.

Yes, it does feel kind of scratchy, but I don't get any irritation or redness from using this as long as I don't smash it against my face like I was scrubbing a car. In fact, my skin looks incredibly smooth and clear, and feels like a baby's bottom. Buf Puf notches up the exfoliation quotient in my daily routine and has made a huge difference! Blemishes are much reduced and my skin looks more alive. Big fan!!

on 6/13/2008 12:16:00 PM

The Buf-Puf is my HG of all facial sponges. It's gentle enough for everyday use and it doesn't fall apart - unlike other facial sponges that begin to fray after only a few uses. It also works great with the Neutrogena Wave. I cut my buf-puf into small circular shapes and stuck it on the Wave. A great combination of exfoliation and massage action!

on 4/26/2008 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is the back Buf-Puf review with the handle: Ok, at first I'll admit I was weary. This was my first time using this product and when I received it in the mail and felt it, I was like, "This is not going to do anything." But once I used it, boy I was wrong! I'm lovin' my Buf-Puf. This is one of the best skin care products I have ever bought for myself. My skin felt so soft, and so smooth and it appeared luminescent after just one use! And you can use it everyday without having to worry bout damaging your skin, and I should know, I have very very sensitive skin. I am definitely a loyal buyer of the product and will continue to be! Buy one you won't regret it!
I also purchased the back-up one as well. As far as the facial line goes, I purchased the gentle version. This thing is amazing, I can't rave enough about this. As I have mentioned in my other reviews, I have extremely sensitive skin and this is not too harsh if used correctly. I noticed you have to go reaaaally light in slow circular motions in order for your skin to adjust to it. I use this with my ZapZyt every morning and I have the most radiant skin I have ever had! My skin feels soft, smooth, clean and just healthy!

on 3/1/2008 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Throughout my childhood, I remember seeing Buf Puf advertised but never used one and forgot all about them until recently, thinking perhaps that they'd stopped making them. I have been using Differin and Metrogel for acne and rosacea, which has caused a lot of dead skin build up. Manual scrubs with exfoliating beads really weren't effective at getting rid of it, and I'd inadvertently scrub too hard. I bought the gentle Buf Puf and have never (never!) experienced so effective an exfoliation from any scrub or tool, including the Clarisonic. My skin felt extremely smooth and glowing afterwards, and it's so cheap! You do need to replace the puff every so often to avoid bacterial growth. I should add, however, that next I will be purchasing the Extra Gentle, because even the gentle felt a bit too much for my delicate skin (and I can't even imagine how the Regular must feel; maybe it's good for keratosis pilaris on the body, but certainly not on the face!). I'm so happy that after all these years I remembered Buf Puf!