MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 6/6/2015 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Where do I even start with this foundation?! This was my first foundation EVER!! Got my first bottle back in 2007 when I started with makeup I was 17 years old! Not having a clue about makeup & not even needing to use foundation I went into the Mac store Without any research, I skipped the drugstore & went straight into "high end" from the jump, bought this foundation,some brushes I didn't need along with skin care and primers that I didn't know what they were for or if I needed them, all I know was I spent about $400 on my first makeup EVER!

I kept using this foundation for 5 years straight every single day. Looking like a orange grease ball everyday. NC42 was my shade & I bought that foundation like no other, bottle after bottle. I went into cosmetology school & learned a lot more & more about MY skin & everyone's skin & all these ingredients that are so bad!! So I learned I actually have very perfect skin, I always had and never knew but I also had very oily skin that was actually due to dehydration? Go figure!

ANYWAYS... Back to studio fix!! I also learned this broke out ALOT of people 1)because the consistency is so thick that most people using this dont really need that type of coverage 2)this is NOT a daily wear foundation & 3) & MOST importantly this foundation contains ALOT of wax in it!! So the wax clogs a lot of pores and causes break out on acne prone and sensitive skin & guess what?? Thats the reason why it's so orange & made me look straight out of the chocolate factory movie! Oompa Loompa!!

So Now, I stay FAR FAR away from MAC foundations specially this one!! I mean, I'm not going to lie I do own a bottle of their "safest matte" foundation which is the Pro-longwear BUT I will ONLY use that for any events where I like the extra coverage that I don't need on the daily.

BUT for each their own!! That was my experience using this 5 years straight being my first foundation ever that Was hard letting go off without knowledge!! Now i would NEVER EVER use this or many other Mac products, but I do use MAC's blushes and eye shadows even their concealer.

& like I said I am stateboard certified for cosmetology so I know a thing or two about skincare BUT by all means to each their own & no one should get stopped from using a product over another persons experience.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have a love hate relationshit with this foundation. It doen't break me out which is why i keep buying it but i find the colour so hard to get a proper match. Mac's colour breakdown is really strange. NC which you'd think would be COOL and NW which you think would be WARM, are actually switched.I use NC forever before realizing , even with the NW i find it very hard to blend, always leaves some form of a line, the plus is the price and how long it last, the bottle is terrible though and if you want a pump( which you NEED) it's more money which is stupid. I would love to find something else that works for me but i'm nervous of breaking out! AH.

on 6/3/2015 8:25:00 PM

This product is ok mostly 4/5 stars , it looked pretty amazing at first but kinda oxidize a tiny bit later on during the hours. The best way i feel like this can be apply for a natural look is the beauty blender or the real techniques miracle sponge, for a more fuller coverage look i recommend the standard foundation brush. This feels quite heavy on my face although i can handle it cause i can rock heavy "feeling" foundations so this might not suit people who prefer a light weight foundation. Lol secondly the smell , THIS SMELLS LIKE PAINT like literally the wall paint i dont know why mac could of at least put some sort of frangrance in this i mean come on mac u can do better but later on i can get used to it cause right now its my daily foundation where it wears typically 8 hours before u know to re powder etc etc.

on 6/3/2015 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation is just alright. It looks fantastic when it's first applied and it was actually the first high end foundation I ever tried. It covered my acne scars, blemishes and redness. However, while it looks good for maybe an hour, my skin gets extremely oily after. And because this foundation is rather thick and gives off that "fake glamour" type look it looks just really awful. It also oxidizes quite a bit and I'm in NW15 so it just begins to look very orange on me. Not a pretty look. It has a scent that isn't necessarily bad, but it's very strong. There's much better options for foundation out there. I also dislike the packaging. I wish it came with a pump because it's a bit of an inconvenience to use.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this. When I first started using foundations I was under the impression that MAC was the best company for that.

I used studio fix foundation when I was a bit younger but I was used to powder foundations and not that comfortable with liquid. In the past year I've become more used to liquid and I now favour it over powders so I decided to try this again.

I'm a NC35. The price was what I'd expect for a high end brand. When I first put it on I was shocked - in a good way. I have pigmentation resulting from acne and this covered everything in one layer. Plus it was more yellow; perfect because Indian ladies like myself generally have strong yellow undertones. It dried to a matte finish. Again, perfect for my preference.

One problem.... this oxidised. I'd never encountered any other foundation I'd used oxidising before so I don't think it was my skin type that caused the problem; plus I'm normal to combination but leaning more towards normal. By the end of the day, my perfectly matched face had oxidised so badly, I actually felt so self conscious when I looked in the mirror. It was so orange and horrible.

Seriously MAC, sort this out.

On the other hand, the other purchase I made is one of my favourite items ever; the Pro Longwear concealer. So MAC does know how to do face - just maybe not foundation.

Instead of spending on this, I would highly recommend NARS sheer glow. Less shade range in terms of NC/NW system- but excellent coverage, semi-matte finish and lasting power on point. Two stars (my lowest rating ever) given to this, just because the coverage is incredible.

on 6/2/2015 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I liked this foundation the best for it's more natural finish.

The good
Great for those with a yellow/olive undertone
Offers medium to high coverage, has covered my acne scars
Buildable without having to apply half the bottle
natural matte finish
doesn't give you a white cast in photos

Cons
Doesn't come with a pump
can transfer (eg when using a tissue to blow your nose)
smells a bit like paint

Here's a very in-depth review on my blog:

on 5/30/2015 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

at first I absolutely adored this product but I didn't realize my colour was off, way off at that. I went to a MAC store to get matched and the girl gave me an NC45 (way too dark). I went along my way and used it for a couple of weeks and I really liked the consistency until I realized it was way too dark. though I loved the way it went on, it felt cake and heavy on my face throughout the day. I felt as though I was wearing a pound and a half of foundation when I had only applied a very small amount of foundation. the packaging was okay but it would have been better if it came with a pump (recently found out you can but the pump separately). I haven't used this product in a really long time but even if I were to get re-matched, I would not re-purchase.

on 5/28/2015 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I'm NC37-NC40. Great full coverage foundation, doesn't dry too quick like EL DW so gives you time to apply correctly. I apply using RT Stippling Brush, don't have the best skin so I prepare my skin first with moisturiser, then fix+, then primer, then fix+ again and then foundation. Only need one layer for full coverage, gives a nice semi dewy, semi matte effect, lasts all day if set correctly. Price is fantastic for a high end foundation. I use this daily and then Luminous Silk for special occasions.

on 5/20/2015 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

*LONG REVIEW BUT IN DEPTH worth a read*
Ok so I have a mixed review about this foundation. I'll tell you about the 'history' I have with this little bottle first. I used to use this foundation for two years. I think between 2011-2013.
At that stage:
1. This was my first 'high end foundation'
2. I had mild acne and mild scaring
3. I was matched to NC42 (I have now tried NC42, NC41, NC40 and NC37 across many different MAC foundations and I feel NC40 is my best match for sure. I am Indian with medium skin tone, neutral undertones)
4. I started by using drug store foundation brush, I then decided after a year when i got into make up a lot more that the application was not flawless, MAC directed me to the 190 brush (i have a review on this if you want to check that out *not a flawless application*)
*AT THIS STAGE I WOULD OF GIVEN IT 2.5-3 STARS*
So basically, I felt the foundation was not giving me that flawless finish which was really annoying and it looked streaky. I then went on to try many other foundations, Estee Lauder double wear being once of them (review on this too). I realised that it was a lot to do with the tool you used to apply a foundation that influenced how it looked! So between 2013 to now ive probably tried about 15 high end foundations. My acne is worse and scaring heavier. One day I decided to do a big MAC shop online and though let me try this out again.
SOOOO my second experience! I am now a make up junkie! Not to be big headed but i know lots about make up now haha!:) So I love the RT expert face brush to apply this now. I spray with small amount of fix plus and it applies flawless!! I am just going to state my pros and cons!
PROS
1. Good coverage (medium / full) (covers all my acne and the scars)
2. Not that expensive compared to most high end (£21 i think)
3. Only need one layer for full face / very buildable
4. Long lasting (7 hours)
5. Matte but still glowy!
6. Great for all skin types
7. Has SPF
8.Looks good on camera
CONS
1.Have to buy a pump
2. Can be thick for some people
3. Have experienced odd break out
4.DOES NOT apply flawless with all tools!
SOOOO finally! I recommend this foundation a lot, as its great for a lot of skin types, looks good on camera and isnt too expensive. Make sure you use the right tool to apply! I recommend the Beauty blender, RT expert face bush or Wayne Goss foundation brush.
Hope you enjoyed!!

on 5/20/2015 7:19:00 AM

HATE IT, i used this for a solid month before i finally had enough, it was horrible on my skin and a complete waste of money. Some mac products are good, but its so over rated.