Lancome Definicils High Definition Mascara

3.7

Aqua/Water, Paraffin, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Acacia/Acacia Senegal Gum, Stearic Acid, Carnauba/Carnauba Wax, Palmitic Acid, Triethanolamine, Simethicone, Sodium Polymethacrylate, Aminomethyl Propanediol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-10, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. [ /- May contain: CI 77007/Ultramarines, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491/Iron Oxides]

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This mascara was a letdown. It provided absolutely no definition, length or volume...and yes, this is with lash primer underneath. The brush also does not separate the lashes very well. This mascara actually made my eyes look worse! I found the curling my lashes before applying helps a bit, though my lashes still look sad. I had to layer another mascara for this one just to have the appearance of any lashes whatsoever.

The only thing it had going for it was that it wore very well. I may consider layering get on top of a better mascara, so I get to have its staying power while the other mascara actually does the hard work.

I'm glad I got to try a sample of this, because it's definitely not worth spending any money on.

on 9/7/2014 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Lancome Definicils is a very good mascara - my absolute HG. It lengthens, defines, curls and also thickens lashes and has great staying power. Absolutely no smudges or flakes with this one. To get a really good application, find that I must regularly clean the brush to prevent clumps. I usually swipe the wand with a piece of oil blotting paper to remove excess mascara prior to every application. (Oil blotting paper works much better than tissue since it has absolutely no lint.) After that it is very easy to apply. The brush has a great shape, long and slender, with firm and widely spaced bristles, that make it a breeze to reach each and every lash and coat them with mascara. The result is great lashes rather than obvious mascara. The price is almost outrageous ($25+), but the results (great compliment-worthy lashes) are priceless.
Bottom line: HG. Have repurchased countless tubes and will continue to do so as long as Lancome makes this mascara.

on 9/1/2014 2:49:00 PM

NO! I finally caved and bought this mascara a couple of weeks ago. Read mixed reviews but also saw some pictures of some pretty long and impressive lashes. Used this mascara for a few days and decided it was time to go back. Hardly any length (even with a primer!) and NO volume. However, I did have flaking and smudging. I am sticking with my favorite drug store mascara, nothing has beat it yet.

on 8/18/2014 8:19:00 PM

This for some reason is the only non waterproof, non 'tubing' mascara that doesn't leave smudges under my eyes. It has a perfect sized brush too. I tried many waterproofs and although they hold a curl better they STILL smudge. Tubing mascaras come off in dark little tubes if water touches it. This washes off so easily at the end of the day too! This is mascara perfection, will not look elsewhere for something better. Oh ... And all mascaras perform the same on me..so I'm not a good one to ask about 'lengthening' vs 'thickening' and all that.

This is an amazing quality mascara. I adore all Lancôme products, and have used them for years, since I was 11-12 years old and first started playing with makeup thanks to a very classy grandmother who bought TONS of Lancôme and Estée Lauder cosmetics. My Mema (rest in peace) bought all of her makeup at the Lancôme and Estée Lauder counters in Macy's and Foleys in BULK, spending tons of money on her cosmetics. She'd always get free deluxe samples, which I got, and I was also bequeathed her makeup she no longer used, most of it barely used or totally unused. Anyways, moving on from my long winded reminiscing and onto Definicils...I love the formula as it always lengthens my lashes, seperates gloriously, and gives me a gorgeous oomph. I love how black and dramatic it made my lashes, how well it opened up my asian eyes, and just how luxe it is. I don't even try any other mascaras, except sometimes drugstore buys on a whim, because as they say, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Will be eternally repurchasing in loving remembrance of my great-grandmother.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this mascara! I use two mascaras, this and Benefits They're Real mascara, and they work really well together. The packaging is great, it's long and thin. The brush is thin, and it tapers a little bit at the end..great for bottom lashes. It separates the lashes extremely well, lengthens, and I even think it gives my lashes volume. For someone with straight lashes that point down, this keeps them curled all day long, and that is a must for me. I will repurchase!

on 7/25/2014 1:30:00 PM

I am always looking for a good mascara, since mine was discontinued mine last year. I have good lashes but need a little extra. The reviews were great but it just seem like the everyday buy in the store mascara. If you are looking for lengthening this one is not for you. It doesn't separate the lashes very well either.

on 7/10/2014 6:46:00 PM

works good, doesn't smudge easily, lashes don't get dried out from it

on 7/6/2014 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

In short: genius mascara that defies all odds. Made me go back to HE mascara when I'd sworn it off forever. So good, it makes my cheap-a$$ angry.

I have a long, long history with Definicils. When I was in high school, in the early 90s, when I think Definicils was introduced, I was using Voluminous. And I was using volumes of Voluminous, and it started to damage my lashes, and they started to fall out in the outer corners. Distraught, I went to the department store and somehow ended up at the Lancome counter crying the blues about my damaged eyelashes, and she sold me on Definicils. My lashes returned to their normal state. The stuff is truly high quality ish.

Eventually I left Definicils, years later, I don't know why but probably due to poverty. I have since tried a billion mascaras. I was a devote of Dior Show for a while, but for the most part I embraced drug store mascara because I used so much of it, I needed it to be cheaper and I found plenty that I liked.

Lately, however, I have been frustrated. I'm 40 now and my skin is more delicate; I don't like to struggle to get mascara off, but at the same time, I hate the flaking that I've been seeing lately in the products I do like as far as application, or the smudging I also seem to always get-- and I can't do waterproof, my lashes fall out.

So my mom took me to Sephora in May, as a gift and I got all sorts of fun things and ended up with a sample of-- yup, you guessed it, DEFINICILS. So I tried it. And now I'm using it every day. It's just perfect. My lashes-- semi-long but absolutely straight and invisible w/o mascara-- look perfectly coiffed, good amount of drama, no smudging when I wear it on the bottom lashes, which I seriously find miraculous, and the piece de resistance is that it truly comes off with soap and water.

So, yeah. I'm gonna buy this again when the tiny sample tube runs out (but no sign of that yet and I've used it daily for a few weeks) and I'll be mad, but also happy.

on 7/3/2014 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Holy cow, I'm kicking myself for never using any of these samples before! I've had possibly a hundred of them! Maybe more! This week, for whatever reason, I cracked one open and used it and it has become my absolute favorite mascara. Just like that. The brush is perfection with firm bristles that really get IN there and get the job done, but aren't sharp and catch on my upper waterline causing me to flinch and get mascara under my eye. The formula is glossy, exceedingly lengthening, and non-clumpy. I am not usually a multiple coats kind of gal, but this formula is so pleasant to work with, that it's hard not to want to apply more. lol All of my other mascaras PALE in comparison to this one...I'm just sad I didn't try out a sample earlier!

ETA: And I got my first EVER compliment on my lashes today. Was told "they're gorgeous" and that "they look like falsies." I've always had sparse, fairly short natural lashes thanks to my thyroid struggles. I'm sold! LOL

Popular Mascaras