September 17, 2014 | 1289 users online

Foundations - Urban Decay - Surreal Skin Mineral Makeup

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2011 10:06:00 AM More reviews by sallysellsseashells

I wanted to like this but it ended up being a fail. First of all, the color selections are ONLY geared for yellow toned people. I couldn't find a perfect match, even the Temptaila Foundation Matrix basically told me to go buzz off be saying "No Match" and the foundation matrix is about 98% accurate for me in finding foundations. The Sephora SA said that she could find a match for me which looked good in the store. One day, I looked in the mirror at the end of the day and noticed I was Tropicana Orange. I guess this oxidizes when my oils break through and btw, even this being a powder, it doesn't control oils at all. In fact, this foundation is a bit moisturizing for me, which might be great for someone with dry skin. The finish also has a nice glowy dewy look to it and I liked the fact that this didn't give me a matte heavy powdery look. Overall, this looks good at inital application but just doesn't look great by the end of the day. Also, it caused some breakouts as well. As for the packaging, it's travel friendly you can just pop it in your purse and go. However, the puff is a pita not enough product comes out. I much rather use a kabuki for powder foundations. In all fairness, this could be a great foundation for the right person as it does have some good qualities, it's just not right for someone cool-neutral and oily w/ acne prone skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2011 7:47:00 PM More reviews by jekki012

I didn't realize how much I loved this stuff until someone stole my makeup bag. Before replacing this, I tried Benefit's Hello Flawless, BE, BE Matte, and Tarte's Amazonian Clay Powder Foundation, but none of them had the finish I became accustomed to with this foundation. The coverage is perfect (light-medium, depending on the brush you use), and the finish is in the middle of matte and dewy. It is on the more matte end in the morning (but not tree bark matte like most powder foundations) and develops into a nice dewy glow as the day goes on, as opposed to most mineral foundations that start off dewy, then transform you into a shiny disco ball by the day's end. It's also worth noting that the color stays on all day (ahem, BE!!) I also love the color selection - I'm always lamenting that cosmetic companies only make cool toned foundations, but I easily found a shade that matched my warm/golden undertones. It is also not drying, yet it has amazing oil control for my combination skin. Amazing stuff (HG!), will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2011 5:15:00 PM More reviews by riomarie

I HATE the puff thing on it. it doesnt work that well and it looks all gross after 2 uses. that said, i took the entire contents and dumped it into an empty bare minerals jar. LOVE it. is finer milled so it comes to the top way easier in my purse, but i can get over it. The finish is great. I think i use dream. even when i apply a lot it doesnt look super cakey. i still use the BM brushes which do a good enough job. im interested in the UD brushes because they feel better. but it has decent coverage. i dont like a lot of cverage but need more than TM. its not an exact color match but i like it enough to not worry...and maybe im the only person who thinks its not a an exact match anyway. it applies in less than a minute. stays for the most part of the day. i use the UD de slick over it if i get oily and its GREAT.

i wish it wasnt so expensive, but im truly tired of the foundation hunt so unless something cheaper AND amazing falls into my lap i'm sticking with this.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/10/2011 7:01:00 PM More reviews by nygrlnca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I was breaking out terribly from my MAC ProLongwear which I still wore because I have impossible skin to match. I am a die-hard liquid foundation wearer but I was told to try a non-talc mineral foundation. I naturally tried BE Matte first but every shade turned red on me as soon as it made contact with my oily skin. The MUA at ULTA tried this on me in Vision and it was perfect! I walked around in 80 degree weather and it didn't turn red! It covered my acne scars ok but that's what concealer is for! I am so pleased with this that it could be my HG of foundations! The packaging is ok but I wish it came in a compact.
Edit: The bismuth in this broke me out more than I ever had in my entire life and I am 41!!! It's too bad because the color is perferct :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2011 5:15:00 PM More reviews by devmar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This was a really good foundation!....if you could find your color.
It covered well, and looked very natural and beautiful(when you use your own brush)
However, the lightest shade made me look orange! And you don't get all that much for the price you pay...
I would repurchase if they expand the range of shades for this product, but for now I will not.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2011 11:49:00 PM More reviews by PurpleElephants

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ugh! I tried this because BareMinerals was breaking me out, and the salesgirl at Ulta recommended it to me. My first impression was that the coverage was not good - but I know that probably has a lot to do with the ridiculous sponge that it comes with. Seriously though, I have a few (slowly fading) acne marks, and it didn't cover them at all.

Then, a day after I started using the product, I started to break out - even worse than when I was using BareMinerals.

This might be good for girls who don't break out at all from mineral makeup. I'm sure it also works better with a foundation brush, instead of the sponge.

I also wasn't impressed with the color selection in this line. A lot of the other mineral makeups offer a lot more options.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 5:51:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

I bought this a long time ago, back when I only used Urban Decay products. This definitely took me off my UD kick for a long time. This product is horrible! I tested it in-store and it seemed so nice, and I had wanted to try a mineral makeup so I purchased it. I started using it every day and really started noticing problems.
The first thing I noticed was that for the first few hours, this matched my skin tone and looked great. Then for some reason, after 3-4 hours, it started turning orange. Literally, noticeably orange. I had friends ask me why my face was orange, and if that's not a sign of a horrible foundation, I don't know what is. I do not know how on earth it would turn orange after a few hours of wear, but I changed my moisturizer, concealer, everything else on my face, and it was definitely the foundation.
Also, after just a few hours of wear, this made me soooo oily. I have combination skin & I usually don't have a problem with any face products making me too oily, but this would leave my face covered in grease. It made my pores appear humongous as well.
Another thing I have to complain about is the packaging. It is so hard to get the product onto the sponge. I tried taking the sponge off, but mine was totally stuck in there. I would have had to cut it off & I just didn't feel like going through all the trouble.
In the end, I gave this to a friend. She ended up loving it, but for me, this was a huge waste.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by kathrynb23

I use this foundation in Supernova and it's become a staple in my makeup routine.
I love the flawless yet light finish of this foundation, and it last all day without touch up(well at least for me!).
I love the buffer, one less brush I have to use when I'm away from home, is one less brush I have to carry when travelling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Well I actually got this about 6 months ago. I thought it was okay, but it wasn't my "go to" foundation.

I took the puff off the top part one day to clean it and ended up losing it, so I set it aside and forgot about it. The other night I was going through my powders figured I'd better use it up. With the puff off of the top, the powder comes out easily and I actually just shake a little into the purple top, take a small fluffy powder brush, swirl it a bit, and powdered my right cheek. In comparison in the mirror I could not believe it. My right side with the UD looked flawless. The left side (with no makeup, just moisturizer, no primer) was a little ruddy with some prior red acne spots. The right side, all red spots were covered but it did look like MY skin still, just better!! I couldn't believe it.

I'm an NC-20 and I have this in "fair" or "illusion" and it melts perfectly into my skin with untraceable color or streaking. I have since used it with Too Faced Primed & Poreless and it lasts on me all day, oily t-zone and all.

So if you're going to try this, and don't get a great coverage with the "puff" try using it as loose powder and then buff onto your face. I love it this way.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Mfettig

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was the first foundation I ever used on my face. I like it but not total coverage to hide my acne. Putting too much on didn't look good either. Only con is I wish it was waterproof. Other than that not to bad for price :).