Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.4

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I thought ppl were joking when they explained that this mask gave you a pulsing sensation on your face as it dried. Ok, I'm a believer. As your mask is drying, your face begins to pulsate--feels like your face has it's own heartbeat! Best part about it is that you can feel the mask working. I mix a tbsp of the powder with water or apple cider vinegar (I think acv works best). Let it dry for about 20 minutes. I then grab a baby wipe and run it under warm water and begin to wipe the mask off my face. Do not be alarmed if your face turns red because it does! I have no idea how it does it, but it brings a lot of blood flow to your face, hence the pulsing effect. I've used this mask twice and I can already see a difference! My face is move even, my acne scars are diminishing, didn't break me out, and leaves the skin very smooth! The packaging is huge!!! This will last you forever!

on 4/26/2015 11:20:00 PM

I love this mask!! I am very Acne-prone and ever since I've started using this mask my acne has reduced tremendously!! I use this product every Sunday and Wednesday to deep clean my pores and I love it!! I combine 2 tbs of the clay and use about 5tbs of ACV. I leave it on for about 25 minutes then rinse off with warm water.. Some people recommend to use a moisturizer after but I feel like my skin has enough moisture even after the mask.

on 4/26/2015 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this mask based on the good reviews here. I was hoping it would help settle down the breakouts on my face I get from time to time but also the horrendous bout of bacne I have been battling for over a month now. Got a massive tub of it from Amazon for less than AU$20 inc shipping (can't remember exactly what I paid). I don't know if it is sold in health shops here in Australia but Amazon was convenient and I think it was sold out on iHerb.
Anyway the first few times I tried it I mixed it with water and the consistency was always a bit weird, like it wouldn't mix properly. It did do a good job of calming down my inflamed skin on my face and my back, drawing large under-skin pimples to the surface and getting rid of the crap that had accumulated in my pores.
However, last night I tried it with ACV (just Skipping Girl brand from the supermarket, nothing fancy) and wow! Results were a million times better. The mixture kind of foams up and spreads really easily. I don't think I got any of that "pulsating" feeling but I left it on my face for about 45 minutes, until it had dried, and washed it off with hot water and a face washer. I left it on my back overnight and washed it off this morning. The skin on my face was a little red but quite clear and the couple of pimples I had had subsided in size and in redness. This morning when I woke up my face looked amazing, like my pores had been vacuumed out. My skin was really even toned with no redness and the pimples were flat and far less inflamed. It did bring a couple of little whiteheads to the surface but I wasn't surprised about this. The pimples on my back are way flatter, much less painful and feel like they are on their way to healing. I plan to use this on my back and on the pimples on my face as a spot treatment until they are all healed.
For the price and the effectiveness this stuff can't be beaten.

on 4/24/2015 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is a God sent! Like many of the other reviewers I suffer from occasional acne. Although I take pretty good care of my skin every once in awhile my skin feels congested (those with acne know what I'm talking about) even after cleansing and exfolianting my face. This is the first product I have tried that DEEP cleans my skin. After I use this mask my face feels so unbelievably fresh and clean. The mask mixed with ACV creates a pulsating pulling sensation on the skin, it feels like its literally pulling crap out of your skin.This is a quite powerful skin treatment so I use it at most once a week (usually every 10 days or so)

on 4/24/2015 11:15:00 AM

I have used this for over 6 months already and I wanna thank MUAfor leading me to this amazing product! =)

Here's a little overview of my skin:
1. Moderate to severe Acne since 15 yrs old due to genes :( (I'm now turning 27 btw)
2. With acne marks/pocks/scars
3. Large pores, oily skin
4. Acne is concentrated on my forehead, cheeks, and recently, on my chin :(

basically, like everyone else suffering from Acne, I've tried everything and im just thankful that my acne is under control. Now, I pretty much wear minimal makeup compared to before and this mask really helped in controlling my break outs :)

You guys really should try this especially those who are suffering from acne..

Personally, I use this mask 2-3x a week. I mix it with Bragg's ACV. Half a teaspoon is enough for my whole face, i think this will last a year or 2 on me. Mix it with ACV little by little 'til you get a cream-like consistency. Note that the consistency should not be too thick nor too thin. I leave it on my face for 20-30mins depends on how I am able to stand the "pulsating/tightening" effect. I just wash it off with lukewarm water and voila! I get smooth, reddened, squeeky-clean skin :)

Overall, Im really happy with the effect on my skin. This has helped me in making my breakouts more manageable and I have less oily skin as well. This really is a must-have! :D

on 4/23/2015 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried this yesterday for the first time. Ordered from Amazon for less than $10 for a 1lb tub. I suspect this will last months which is awesome.
Do not bother following the directions on the tub, it will not work well. It says to mix 1:1 of the clay to water or apple cider vinegar. You really need more acv because this is dry powder dust and if you want a smooth paste you will need more liquid. I put in a bit of water too just to dilute the acv smell.
It also says to apply 1/4-1/2" layer. Don't!! That's such a waste of the product, plus it does not work as it will take like two hours to dry that way. Who has time for that?!

I mixed it according to the directions and left it on for about 35-40 minutes. Did not notice and pulsating and the mask just was not drying but it was cracking and coming off in chunks though still moist. I peeled off big chunks of it, threw them in the trash, and spread the rest on my face somewhat evenly. Since I had it on already for almost an hour I got impatient and dried my face with a blowdryer. My skin was really tight and weird, but still no pulsating.
After washing it off, which took like 5+ minutes, my face was a bit red but that only lasted for about 10 minutes or so. My pores definitely look smaller and face is smoother.
I plan on using it again today, correctly, as I can tell this is a really good product that actually works if used correctly in a thin layer.
No other mask has worked for me and I have tried many.

I don't have skin issues other than large and clogged pores for which this seems to be perfect. Use a moisturized afterwards as it is very drying.

All in all, great, inexpensive product that I look forward to using regularly.

Tip: This is clay, so do not wash it down the drain in clumps as it will clog up everything.

Update: After using it everyday for a few days now I have figured out better ways to mix and apply. I mix only about a teaspoon to two depending on if I'm using it on my whole face or just areas that need it, like nose and cheeks. A very thin layer is all thats necessary otherwise it won't dry for at least 30 minutes but will still crack. The pulsating happens only when it's super dry and tight on ur face, but I never let it get that far bcs it takes sooooo long to dry.
Pores are cleaner but not significantly smaller or super clean. There is still oil that I can see so I should probably just get a good bha for that. I'm taking away a point because I really don't see why the product is so highly rated by everyone other than it is good for the price and amount you get. I will probably still repurchase.

on 4/20/2015 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I have just started using this and I have to say that this product feels amazing! I recommend anyone to purchase as it is affordable and feels phenomenal after I rinse it off. I usually take it off during a hot shower, and then put a moisturizer (I use coconut oil as my moisturizer) as my skin feels quite dry afterwards. I usually keep it on my face (I mix it with ACV) for 15 minutes to up to even an hour for 2-3 times a week.

10 minutes into it and I feel a tightening, tingling sensation just like the package emphasized. I think this would be a great product for acne prone skin or even if your skin is neutral, because you definitely feel your pores getting unclogged and all the gunk getting removed. My skin has been breaking out for the past 1 or 2 months (eeekkkkk) and I've been using this, along with my natural routine of african black soap and coconut oil OR honey with ACV and coconut oil (in that order) for the past few weeks and I have to say I'm in looove! I do have a few scars and I can say that either my other skincare methods, this product - or both, have lightened them and are now on their way to be completely unrecognizable. I feel ultra positive about this product and I would most likely buy this again as it lasts for a loong time.

on 4/16/2015 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

TIPS:
-using apple cider vinegar instead of water made a HUGE difference for me.
-leaving this on for a full hour also makes it much more effective for me.
-this is not a pre-date-night mask. my skin is REDDD after, but always 100% back to normal by morning.

i have acne and have done/tried it all, from pro-activ all the way to Accutane. my pores are literally always clogged. every day.

this is my HG face mask. doesn't make me break out and is the ONLY thing that's ever made me feel like my pores are somewhat less clogged after use.

i'm using retin-a so my skin is somewhat dry, but i still use this 2x a week. i slather my face in cetaphil after and everything is fine.

AND THE PRICE! this is proof god exists and might have had acne at one point.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I just used this for the first time yesterday, so I really probably should wait a bit before writing a review, but I'm pretty impressed so I'll write one now and edit later.

After an unsuccessful journey to Whole Foods to pick up this mask, I ordered it on Amazon for $10. It arrived Sunday and I picked up some ACV (not Bragg's, my local grocery is not fancy enough for that).

I mixed together a bit over 1 tablespoon of the clay powder and ACV. That turned out to be A LOT of mask. Never one to waste a perfectly good skincare treatment, I just kept applying until it was at least 1/4" thick. I ran into the kitchen, excitedly telling my roommates "I'm going to get ALL THE CRAP OUT OF MY FACE." "That's nice, Sandcat," they answered. "We're going to bed."

No one is excited about my skincare routine as I am.

I'm also never one to leave masks on for the recommended amount of time. If a mask says it's meant to be used for 10-15 minutes, I figure I can get through at LEAST two episodes of Arrested Development before I have to take it off. This one recommended 5-10 minutes for "delicate skin" so I left it on for about an hour, until it was totally dry.

WHY I USED THIS MASK:
My skin has not taken kindly to the changing season, and I feel like I've had a breakout that's juuuuust about to happen for weeks now. I was hoping to bring these breakouts to the surface. I also have a singular, terrible acne cyst on my jawline that JUST WON'T GO AWAY, and I've heard this masks shortens their life cycle (ew).

WHAT I EXPECTED:
Honestly, not much. I love a good face mask, but to me it's more about the ritual and self-pampering, and I rarely notice any actual effects. My bar was very low for this. I expected to "FEEL [my] FACE PULSATE" as is so aggressively advertised on the packaging, and I expected to experience some sensitivity/redness, as I have dry, sensitive, and usually grumpy skin.

WHAT I EXPERIENCED:
When I finally got this baby off (which was a PROJECT), my skin felt very smooth. I took it off in the shower and as soon as I got out, I used my new and delightfully squishy konjac sponge with a gentle cleanser (La Roche-Posay Dermo-Cleanser) to make sure all the clay was off and to exfoliate away the aforementioned crap I'd been hoping to suck out of my pores. To my actual surprise, the gross little crop of millia that had been hanging out on my cheekbone were mostly gone, leaving only faint red marks in their wake. Now, to be fair, there are a million problems with my skin and those millia were pretty far down on the list of things I wanted to fix. If I could keep the millia in exchange for getting this awful, perCYSTant (heeeyyyyy) cyst off my face forever, that's the kind of deal I would absolutely make. Still, it was awesome to see an actual effect immediately after using this. I put on my normal moisturizer (Laneige Water Bank Serum, which I know is technically a "serum" but what is a serum, anyway; this is totally just a moisturizer) and it stung a bit. Before going to bed I used a thin layer of Aquaphor in an attempt to seal in the moisture, because it turns out leaving clay on your face for an hour is super drying. Hm.

WHAT I DIDN'T EXPERIENCE:
No pulsing! No tingling! No extreme redness! No intense sensitivity! And no breakouts, yet, though I have hope. My gross little acne cyst does feel a bit different today, so hopefully it's on its way out for the time being.

SOME UNSOLICITED ADVICE:
* You'll probably need more clay than ACV. I started with a 1:1 ratio and it was a watery mess.
* You probably don't need a full tablespoon + of each, either. I probably could have gotten the same effect with less mask.
* TAKE THIS OFF IN THE SHOWER. Seriously. I tried to start taking it off at my sink and it was a mistake. Learn from my mistake. Get in the shower, soak a washcloth in hot water, leave it on your face until you can't breathe anymore, repeat.
* Make sure you have an unscented moisturizer on hand. My moisturizer is gentle but scented, which usually doesn't bother me, but was stingy after the fact.

CONCLUSION:
I'm into this! It's a mask that had an actual effect immediately! Will update as I keep using, but for now, I'm a fan.

on 4/7/2015 8:23:00 PM

This is my first makeupalley review I've ever written.... Before trying any new product I always consult makeupalley first. Recently I switch to a whole slew of new products (bad idea... I KNOW!)... as a result, my face broke out worse than it has ever been in my life. Thats pretttttty bad considering I've been through a round of accutane and countless other acne treatments. I decided to use this mask. I initially used it with ACV, but found it to be a little harsh. I also have tried it with diluted ACV, as well as with water. Tonight I mixed the clay powder with a little greek yogurt and honey... HOLY MOLEY! The amount of whiteheads on my forehead were dramatically diminished... The results were so exciting that I am writing this review with a big fat grin on my face! I can't believe how well this mask worked in just one use when mixed with the greek yogurt and a tiny squirt of honey... Will definitely be using this combo from now on! Seriously... try this stuff! I've tried everything and thought there was no hope for my congested forehead/T-zone. So thankful I found this stuff!

Popular Masks