July 29, 2014 | 1997 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by bloodpony

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Yes, this product is a little expensive and it's messy and time consuming but damn it makes your hair look great!
I have naturally medium auburn hair but I like to turn up the red and this product is a great way to color without the damage.
I have fine hair just past my shoulders so I cut up about half of the block. I put it in a zip lock bag and go at it with a mallet to break it up so it will melt easier. I mix it with hot water from a kettle, slap it on, wrap my head in plastic wrap and keep it on for 3-4 hours (I've also slept in it before). When you rinse it out make sure you have plenty of ratty towels on hand since it's going to look like you're making tea in the bathtub and this stuff does stain.
The smell is quite pleasant and the color always comes out very vibrant and lasts for a month or two. Best part- after your first rinse, your shower won't look like a murder scene very time you wash your hair. Seriously, I love this stuff!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by flirteuse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Okay so, I have black hair, well dark chocolate brown hair to be precise, with ginger tips; so for this review is for those dark brunettes who want to try this out and for the redheads. I wanted to get an overall lighter hair colour for the summer, so I tried this out because I love LUSH and henna. It deeply conditions and nourishes your hair, this is the perfect treatment for dry/damged hair. I don't get why people complain about the smell, to be honest, I love the smell, it smells wonderful, it's a plant extract with essential oils, the smell reminds me of getting henna tattoos and ayurvedic hair treatments; it's natural!

PROS:

- It left my hair wonderfully nourished
- it dyed the dark part of my hair to a deep cherry/walnut shade that gleamed lavender in candlelight; the ginger part turned into a vibrant ruby red. Not enough? Okay, in the sunlight, my hair looked ablaze, like a fiery halo on the crown.
-It smells wonderful, the cocoa butter stays for couple of washes
-my hair is left silky and smooth
-you don't have to worry about damaging your hair

CONS:

-it's a BIG mess, and requires preparation and planning, DO THIS IN THE BATH TUB. with lots of newspaper, wear old old clothes. and get your equipment ready.
- if you have curly/thick long hair like me, you'll have to use the entire block

It was definitely worth the hassle and the price,

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 2:39:00 AM More reviews by reflectedlights

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

There are a million and one reviews for this product out there so I'm just going to try and leave tips that I found really helpful that I didn't see much in my (overly) extensive research on the topic!

My general impression: yes it's messy, blah blah, you can read about the trials of that from other people. I've got dark brown hair and my hair has now turned ... auburn. At least I think so. It's possibly a tad more red than brown (or at least equal) - a very intense auburn. In the sunlight or under a lamp it looks quite red. But a rather orangey red. I do really like the colour! But under some lights it looks a bit weird. And my split ends are gone!!! I'm so excited. The ends that are damaged in other ways (various weaknesses) are still there, but most of them are looking great. I'm really pleased with it. My hair was already quite soft but it felt really really great when i first got out of the shower after putting it on. In later days, not quite as much but it still feels really good. And it looks healthy overall.

I've got very curly hair and it hasn't changed the curls in any way (not that I expected it to). The scent remains in your hair and it hasn't faded yet, but it's only been about a week since I did it. I don't mind the smell, although sometimes it does get a bit irritating. I seem to only smell it when it's wet though, so I can live with that pretty easily!

Application/Removal tips:

1) I put newspaper down everywhere but the parts that I had already applied would dry and flake off a bit while I was applying more to other parts, and some would just fall out of my hands and end up on the floor. The end result was henna on top of the newspaper, which was fine. But I ended up stepping on it and grinding it into my feet! I ended up with bright orange feet in weird patterns. It did wash out but not until after a few days. So my advice to you, if you think anyone might be seeing your feet soon, is to wear some black socks that you can wash after while applying! It never would have occurred to me.

2) I only saw one person suggest this out of all the reviews I read but I cannot recommend it enough. Fill up your tub halfway with water and submerge your head to wash out the henna!!!! It saved me so much time. I started out trying to rinse it but I could tell that I'd be wasting a lot of water. So I just started filling up the bath, kneeling outside the tub with my head in, swishing my hair around. It came out so much easier! It was incredible. I did this until the water was all bright orange and then I let it out, filled it up, and did it one more time. By the time I stood up for a shower, I barely had any left. I conditioned my hair and lightly brushed through it with a wide-toothed comb, and it was all gone! I'm so thankful I did it that way (and so thankful to the one person who suggested it!) that I just had to pass it along.

Misc:

-- I started applying from the bottom layer of my hair up to the top layer and it worked quite well for me! It was easier to manage the hair itself. I didn't worry much about different colour intensities because I was going to be leaving it on for so long anyway that I didn't think it would change much and it doesn't appear to.

-- I left it on for 5 hours. I meant to do longer but I just couldn't wait!

-- Clean-up was harder than I thought it was going to be. That stuff flakes everywhere! It would be good to have a vacuum cleaner on hand. That would have reduced my clean-up significantly.

-- My hair has darkened since the first day I put it on, but not significantly. It seemed to darken the most in the first few hours after I washed it out, and after that I didn't see a lot of change.

Overall, I totally recommend it! As long as you go into it knowing that it's messy and a bit time consuming then you'll be prepared and won't be disappointed if you have to take a little time out of your day. I'm really glad I did this!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by thistle100

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this for many years, then let it grow out, and I'm now debating whether to try it again. The upside is that it leaves a beautiful colour and shine, especially for the first few washes.

One of the downsides is that it's hard to mix because it comes in a block. I use at least half a block on collar/shoulder length hair, sometimes more. I put it in a strong plastic bag, wrap the bag in a tea-towel, put it on a hard floor, and smash it with a hammer until it's a powder, or at least in small pieces. Then I place it in a plastic bowl, added boiling water, and mix it up with a wooden spoon until I have a thick yoghurt consistency.

I put the bowl in the bath, and I hang my head over the bowl, wearing disposable plastic gloves (the kind you buy in boxes in pharmacies, because they won't pull the hair). Then I apply it to dry hair, and when it's well distributed, I wrap my head in clingfilm, wipe my hairline and ears with moisturizer (or Vaseline) to make sure it won't stain, then wrap an old towel over the clingfilm. I keep an old dressing gown I don't care about to wear while I wait at least four hours, sometimes six. I then stand under the shower and it all comes off quite easily. I bought a very cheap white plastic shower curtain that I keep especially for henna, and a bunch of plastic hooks to hang it up with - over my usual curtain - so I can stand under the shower and not have to worry about the mess. When it's done, I take the cheap curtain down and stuff it in a drawer along with my old dressing gown and stained towel (my henna tools!).

The second downside is that, over time, I think it was not good for my hair. I had to wash my hair every day. I usually prefer to do this anyway, but with the henna I had to. But at the same time my hair seemed to get drier over time, and I had a problem with split ends. Whether this was the henna, I don't know, but I'm inclined now to think that it was.

The thing that really annoyed me was that when I telephoned Lush to ask about the ingredients (this was in the days before their ingredients were on their website), they told me it was 100 percent Persian henna. I phoned because I had noticed the increase in split ends, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting any chemicals in my hair. This wasn't just one person who made a mistake, because when I told my hairdresser, he said he could tell that it wasn't pure henna. So I phoned them again, asked to speak to a supervisor, explained that I needed to know what the ingredients were, and was again told it was 100 percent Persian henna, with no chemicals. But I see now from the website that this isn't correct. So that might explain why my hair seemed to get damaged by it over time.

I stopped using it a couple of years ago, and my hair is now in much better condition -- I no longer have to wash it every day -- but I miss the vibrant colour. So I'm considering using henna again, and am also considering buying Caca Rouge again, but only because of the "devil I know" factor. Before I do, I'm going to try to find another source I can trust that sells henna without any additives.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by queencattitude

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is awesome!! I thought the whole process was fun! Here were my steps to getting an awesome head of dark red hair!
(Take note: My hair was brown before)

Make sure you do this when you have a lot of time. It does take a lonnnng time, and I started at about 8 45 and finished at 1 am.

HAVE:

Big bowl(metal or glass)
Wooden or Plastic Large Spoon
Seran Wrap
Cheese grater
Knife to cut blocks

1) For my length and thickness, i used 3 of the sections of the 6 section block. I used a cheese grater to shred the blocks. It took about 10-12 minutes. It wasn't that bad, and was worth it. Especially because I'd rather spend my time doing that than waiting for the block to melt.
2) I just used the insta-hot water, but start mixing the shreads and add the hot water until its about a pudding consistency. It will be grainy, you aren't doing something wrong!
3) Section your hair into 4 parts. Two in front, two in back.
4) coat 1 section at a time. MAKE SURE YOU SPREAD THE HAIR AND SMOTHER IT!EVEN IF YOU NEED TO MAKE MORE.IT IS SO IMPORTANT BECAUSE JUST COATING IT WONT HAVE THE SAME EFFECT. MAKE SURE THE INSIDE OF THE HAIR SECTION IS ALSO COVERED.
5) After you're finished with all sections, they should look like dreads. Make one big bun or just put your hair up. Wrap your head in seran wrap to create a redder effect.
6) Wait 3 hours or so. I'm not sure what happens if you do more or less, but mine turned out good with that time.
7) Rinse all henna out of your hair. Condition it, and then lightly shampoo. Condition again.
8) Now, blow dry or straighten your hair. Over 3 days your hair will get darker/redder. Don't wash your hair during the three days,or at least only do it lightly.

ENJOY!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by nataliecloud9

I LOVED this product. Especially because I *assumed* I was using a healthy alternative to drugstore hair dye.

That was until I discovered these 2 websites:

www.goodguide.com

It turns out LUSH Caca Hennas are rated pretty much just as BAD for your health as most of the drugstore hair dyes!!

(See for yourself! Just search and compare on the websites.)

So LUSH must have some undisclosed, chemicals or ingredients hidden inside :(

It figures... Because no where on the package do they claim Caca is 100% natural.

So be warned... If you are going to use this product strictly to be more health conscience, you are better off buying henna powder and doing it that way because THIS IS NOT CHEMICAL FREE!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 1:20:00 AM More reviews by Blossom79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have used this a few times (last time with one block of the noir).

I have tried just about every way of preparing the henna and for me the easiest way is grating. And I have given up trying to get my partner to help me, it is easier on my own, over a sink to catch the drips and just wacking it on. The only thing I find it dyes (other than my hair) is finger nails and towels! Skin and bath etc are all safe.

The easiest way for me is to leave it in over night, covered with cling wrap and a towel.

I shampoo it out once and then condition.

The results: My hair was bleached over new year, so it is pretty damaged and light. It comes out bright ginger (don't want to confuse people by saying red, it isn't a 'red' that you would normally buy as a dye). It looks quite natural which is cool. The last time I used 2 rouge blocks and one noir and it is a darker ginger, probably better for my hair.
I LOVE the smell. I can still smell it on my hair now and just keep randomly smelling my hair. My partner doesn't like it too much though.
Condition wise, it seems to leave my hair LOOKING better, shiney etc, but only until the first wash. It doesn't make it any straighter, and I seem to have more split ends afterwards. I guess this is from having to wash it out?

I can't see myself going back to chemical dyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by yemyesilkurbaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a brunette with copper undertones but I've been using red dye. My hair is just below my shoulders and has a very thin texture.
The SA told me to use the entire block. But when I started shaving the block off with a butchers knife, I realised it is a really saturated product, unlike powder henna. So I only used half of the block which was just enough for my hair type.
I added a cup of hot cranberry tea (for added colour and durability), 8 tea spoons of virgin olive oil (to get the mud out of my hair more easily).
I started by bain marie, but I soon found out it would be easier to get a consistent mixture by directly heating the product itself. Thank god it left no stains in the pot.
Getting it on my hair was such a pain. Mostly because I have no one to help me. Beware, the product can and will splash everywhere around you!
I wrapped my head in cling film and with an old towel over it then went to sleep. After almost 6 hours I jumped in the shower. Getting the mud out of your hair takes a long time, large amount of water and shampoo. Even after that, I realised finely grated tobacco-like herbs are still in my hair. I suppose it will take a couple of more showers to get rid of.
The red tint was obvious even when my hair was wet. After two or three more hours, the colour settled in more which turned out to be a very natural and vivid auburn. Thanks to the weather in London I haven't been able to test it under sun yet :)
* An average hair dye over the counter is around 7 quids. I paid 7.75 for the entire block (325 grams) which allows for two applications for my hair lenght, plus the healty ingridients. Besides, I expect the colour won't fade as quickly as the chemical ones do. So I would say it's almost a bargain price.
* I enjoyed the soap-like natural smell of it at first. But after you start to mix it, and as the product develops its smell gets really overwhelming. Next time I'll add a sachet of vanilla to see if it works.
* I was really afraid to see my ears and hairline dyed orange when it gets more and more fluid as time passes. Fortunately there was no such thing. Nevertheless it might be a good idea to use ear plugs to avoid henna getting in your ears.
* I wish Lush would sell this product in a readily grated form with different amount selections.
I still need some time to see how it works in the following days and weeks, but overall I don't think I'll ever return back to chemical dyes again!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 6:06:00 AM More reviews by Boroshok

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this henna, and don't use anything else. I used to use standard Indian henna, but it was drying my hair. This one has essential oils, so it nourishes my hair and I have an amazing shine!

You can see the effect of this henna on my hair on my video here: http://www.beauty-reviews.net/2012/04/get-shine-into-your-hair-use-henna.html

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by jossythebossy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this product!

after I had done a lot of research about this product I decided to try it out. the price is a little high, but definitely worth it. the packaging was average? no complaints and no compliments really on the packaging. it was simple. it comes in 6 blocks. I have pretty long hair, and I used three blocks (next time i'll use 4. i barley had enough.) I just scrapped small peices of it off on a cutting board. it wasnt really that hard, like ive heard people say. ive also heard a lot of people complain about the smell, and grant it, it is very strong, but i actually kind of liked it. it didnt seem to bother me. it does linger for a little bit after its been dyed, but its not as strong. some people cant stand the smell, and some people dont mind it, or even actually like it. and i am one of those that didnt mind. it was a little messy. but not as bad as I suspected from previous reveiws. i had someone put it in for my, so that might be part of it.

I wrapped it in plastic wrap, and slept on it. when I woke up I washed it out in the tub (leaning my head under the focet.) I used conditioner, then shampoo, then conditioner again. at that point I felt like i had gotten it all out. I honestly was kind of disappointed when I first washed it out. it didn't seem like it had a lot of effect at all. my hair still looked like it was dirty blonde. i blow dried it, and then I started to notice the color a little bit more. within the space of an hour of it being dry, it became a very beautiful natural, but vibrant red. i LOVED it!

My hair has never held color very well at all. seems like after a few times of washing it, all of the color was gone, but with this, the color has lasted VERY well. especially considering reds dont normally last to long on blonde in general anyways. its been 5 weeks since i dyed it. of course it has faded a LITTLE bit. at my ends its faded into a really pretty strawberry blonde color, and at the top its still a pretty, slightly lighter red. I'm loving the way its faded. it looks very natural. people that ive met just recently have thought that I really am a redhead naturally. I will deffinatly keep using this product when i feel it is ready for a redye. ive never been so happy with my hair before.