September 2, 2014 | 1810 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lush's Caca Rouge Henna Hair Color promises that it will give you a "beautiful head of fiery red hair, naturally". This natural hair dye is made of the "finest Persian henna, blended with cocoa butter and added herbs and essential oils for unbelievable softness and shine". Lush goes as far as to say that the color of Caca Rouge will stop traffic. Lush offers four shades of their henna hair colors, all of them are said to be 100% natural, though some challenge this. I won't go into how to apply henna hair color because I already wrote a walk through and Lush makes the directions readily available. Lush hair color is vegan, and like all their products, cruelty free. This product was made in Canada by Brandon. An 11.4oz brick retails for $24.95 in Australia and America (I've bought it in both countries). I get two uses per brick.
Lush's Henna dyes don't really have much packaging to speak of. The dye comes in a small brick made up of six smaller squares. Caca Rouge is an ugly greenish brown. The brick is wrapped in red paper with thhe name of the product and a description on the front. Removing and unfolding the paper wrapper reveals detailed instructions and information on how to use henna hair color. This henna brick is pretty solid but crumbly at the same time. It can be difficult to cut through without the squares falling apart. That might make mixing it easier though.
Caca Rouge is relatively easy to use. The results you get from this product vary depending on your natural color and how you use it. Henna can be left in for as short as an hour or as long as twenty four hours, depending on how intense you want the color to be. The shade can also be altered by how you wear the henna in your hair. A shower cap or cling film can be used to create redder hair, open air will deliver an auburn or browner hue. I leave this dye in for between 6-9 hours and wear a shower cap. That combination turns my dull strawberry blonde hair into a vibrant but natural, super shiny red. It's quite dark the first day or so, more of an auburn, but it adjusts into a very pretty my hair but better red. The results from all of Lush's henna hair colors is pretty natural, so don't turn to Caca Rouge if you're looking for orange or cherry red hair. The henna continues to develop and oxidize in the hair for up to three days, so don't be too disappointed if the color isn't exactly what you wanted at first.
Whether or not henna is damaging to the hair is somewhat inconclusive. Some will say that it's the healthiest way to color your hair, others say it's just as, if not more damaging than chemical based dyes. There are several studies online if you're interested in the subject, but I won't include any for neutrality sake, plus I've only read one in depth. I can speak for my own experiences though. I have naturally very healthy, strong, long, thick hair, and I don not feel like Lush's henna damages or harms my hair in any way. After use my hair is very soft, shiny, and manageable. I also think it doesn't tangle and get matted the way it tends to in it's untreated state. Perhaps it's from the dye's cocoa butter base. I can't fully speak for the damage or lack there of I get from this dye, because I can't compare it to boxed dye, a product I've never used and don't really plan to.
I don't feel like my henna colored hair needs any special care to maintain the color. I've used 4 different shampoos and five different conditioners on my henna color treated hair none of them except Clear's Total Care Scalp&Hair Beauty Therapy stripped my hair color. With regular washing, conditioning, and brushing, my hair color holds up for 6 weeks before it begins to fade evenly. That's pretty long for any red dye. If you feel the need to use special hair care for your henna treated hair, Lush offers a few specially formulated products. I should mention that henna hair dye is not idea for chemically treated hair (permed, dyed, relaxed etc) and shouldn't be bleached or dyed over with boxed dye.
I really love Lush's Caca Rouge Henna Hair Color. It takes more effort to use, needs to be kept in longer, and is messier than the boxed dye you could pick up at the drugstore, but for me it's worth it. The color I get from this henna is very pretty and natural looking and my hair seems healthy after use. I get two uses per brick, making the cost relatively on par with boxed dyes from the drugstore. The results are long lasting as well. I recommend Lush's henna hair colors to anyone who wants to dye their hair auburn, black, brown, or red. I will continue to buy this hair color, it's my favorite Lush product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2012 2:52:00 AM More reviews by CimCim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried it yesterday. First of all I must say : It's amazing and I don't ever want to dye my hair with chemical hair dyes.

My mother helped me with it, so yes it's messy but since I got help from my mother, I didn't even notice it. If you previously dyed your hair with chemical hair dye, just do the same procedure. Use glows, wrapping paper, don't wear your favorite things, put old newspapers on the floor and don't move around etc. etc. The difference while you wait for 40 minutes witch chemical dyes, this time you'll wait for 4 hours. But it passes.

Also I must add this. I'm from Turkey, using henna in hair is very common here. My grandmother used henna for her hair, and on my mother's hair. So my mother was very familiar with the tecnique and this was my chance maybe. I read so many reviews about how it didn't work. In that case a second try might help.

About the smell, yes it's may not be the best thing in the world, especially compared with other amazing Lush products, believe me it's better than chemical dye smell. Also it won't burn your head like chemical dyes.

Now the best part, colour : I had dark brown hair but I dyed it to caramel brown with blond highlights. I was not a sustainable colour, I was tired of my dark roots also it's more of a summer colour. I decided to swith it. My natural colour was dark brown and I had blond/caramel hair on the tips.

The result : Roots are dark reddish brown, shines amazing in the light. Kinda like marroon. Tips are red but the colour is smooth it's not two toned. It's looks natural like my hair was naturally lighter in the tips.

Also, even if the colour remanied stable it would totally worth it since my hair hair is thicker, stronger, shininh. I can almost feel it.

So I recommend this product and I'll keep using this and will stay away from chemical dyes for the rest of my life.

Remember it's all about experience and tecnique.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2012 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Chemikalische

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't work at all on my hair, next to no change in the colour. A waste of money, for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by bloodpony

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Yes, this product is a little expensive and it's messy and time consuming but damn it makes your hair look great!
I have naturally medium auburn hair but I like to turn up the red and this product is a great way to color without the damage.
I have fine hair just past my shoulders so I cut up about half of the block. I put it in a zip lock bag and go at it with a mallet to break it up so it will melt easier. I mix it with hot water from a kettle, slap it on, wrap my head in plastic wrap and keep it on for 3-4 hours (I've also slept in it before). When you rinse it out make sure you have plenty of ratty towels on hand since it's going to look like you're making tea in the bathtub and this stuff does stain.
The smell is quite pleasant and the color always comes out very vibrant and lasts for a month or two. Best part- after your first rinse, your shower won't look like a murder scene very time you wash your hair. Seriously, I love this stuff!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by flirteuse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Okay so, I have black hair, well dark chocolate brown hair to be precise, with ginger tips; so for this review is for those dark brunettes who want to try this out and for the redheads. I wanted to get an overall lighter hair colour for the summer, so I tried this out because I love LUSH and henna. It deeply conditions and nourishes your hair, this is the perfect treatment for dry/damged hair. I don't get why people complain about the smell, to be honest, I love the smell, it smells wonderful, it's a plant extract with essential oils, the smell reminds me of getting henna tattoos and ayurvedic hair treatments; it's natural!

PROS:

- It left my hair wonderfully nourished
- it dyed the dark part of my hair to a deep cherry/walnut shade that gleamed lavender in candlelight; the ginger part turned into a vibrant ruby red. Not enough? Okay, in the sunlight, my hair looked ablaze, like a fiery halo on the crown.
-It smells wonderful, the cocoa butter stays for couple of washes
-my hair is left silky and smooth
-you don't have to worry about damaging your hair

CONS:

-it's a BIG mess, and requires preparation and planning, DO THIS IN THE BATH TUB. with lots of newspaper, wear old old clothes. and get your equipment ready.
- if you have curly/thick long hair like me, you'll have to use the entire block

It was definitely worth the hassle and the price,

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 2:39:00 AM More reviews by reflectedlights

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

There are a million and one reviews for this product out there so I'm just going to try and leave tips that I found really helpful that I didn't see much in my (overly) extensive research on the topic!

My general impression: yes it's messy, blah blah, you can read about the trials of that from other people. I've got dark brown hair and my hair has now turned ... auburn. At least I think so. It's possibly a tad more red than brown (or at least equal) - a very intense auburn. In the sunlight or under a lamp it looks quite red. But a rather orangey red. I do really like the colour! But under some lights it looks a bit weird. And my split ends are gone!!! I'm so excited. The ends that are damaged in other ways (various weaknesses) are still there, but most of them are looking great. I'm really pleased with it. My hair was already quite soft but it felt really really great when i first got out of the shower after putting it on. In later days, not quite as much but it still feels really good. And it looks healthy overall.

I've got very curly hair and it hasn't changed the curls in any way (not that I expected it to). The scent remains in your hair and it hasn't faded yet, but it's only been about a week since I did it. I don't mind the smell, although sometimes it does get a bit irritating. I seem to only smell it when it's wet though, so I can live with that pretty easily!

Application/Removal tips:

1) I put newspaper down everywhere but the parts that I had already applied would dry and flake off a bit while I was applying more to other parts, and some would just fall out of my hands and end up on the floor. The end result was henna on top of the newspaper, which was fine. But I ended up stepping on it and grinding it into my feet! I ended up with bright orange feet in weird patterns. It did wash out but not until after a few days. So my advice to you, if you think anyone might be seeing your feet soon, is to wear some black socks that you can wash after while applying! It never would have occurred to me.

2) I only saw one person suggest this out of all the reviews I read but I cannot recommend it enough. Fill up your tub halfway with water and submerge your head to wash out the henna!!!! It saved me so much time. I started out trying to rinse it but I could tell that I'd be wasting a lot of water. So I just started filling up the bath, kneeling outside the tub with my head in, swishing my hair around. It came out so much easier! It was incredible. I did this until the water was all bright orange and then I let it out, filled it up, and did it one more time. By the time I stood up for a shower, I barely had any left. I conditioned my hair and lightly brushed through it with a wide-toothed comb, and it was all gone! I'm so thankful I did it that way (and so thankful to the one person who suggested it!) that I just had to pass it along.

Misc:

-- I started applying from the bottom layer of my hair up to the top layer and it worked quite well for me! It was easier to manage the hair itself. I didn't worry much about different colour intensities because I was going to be leaving it on for so long anyway that I didn't think it would change much and it doesn't appear to.

-- I left it on for 5 hours. I meant to do longer but I just couldn't wait!

-- Clean-up was harder than I thought it was going to be. That stuff flakes everywhere! It would be good to have a vacuum cleaner on hand. That would have reduced my clean-up significantly.

-- My hair has darkened since the first day I put it on, but not significantly. It seemed to darken the most in the first few hours after I washed it out, and after that I didn't see a lot of change.

Overall, I totally recommend it! As long as you go into it knowing that it's messy and a bit time consuming then you'll be prepared and won't be disappointed if you have to take a little time out of your day. I'm really glad I did this!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by thistle100

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this for many years, then let it grow out, and I'm now debating whether to try it again. The upside is that it leaves a beautiful colour and shine, especially for the first few washes.

One of the downsides is that it's hard to mix because it comes in a block. I use at least half a block on collar/shoulder length hair, sometimes more. I put it in a strong plastic bag, wrap the bag in a tea-towel, put it on a hard floor, and smash it with a hammer until it's a powder, or at least in small pieces. Then I place it in a plastic bowl, added boiling water, and mix it up with a wooden spoon until I have a thick yoghurt consistency.

I put the bowl in the bath, and I hang my head over the bowl, wearing disposable plastic gloves (the kind you buy in boxes in pharmacies, because they won't pull the hair). Then I apply it to dry hair, and when it's well distributed, I wrap my head in clingfilm, wipe my hairline and ears with moisturizer (or Vaseline) to make sure it won't stain, then wrap an old towel over the clingfilm. I keep an old dressing gown I don't care about to wear while I wait at least four hours, sometimes six. I then stand under the shower and it all comes off quite easily. I bought a very cheap white plastic shower curtain that I keep especially for henna, and a bunch of plastic hooks to hang it up with - over my usual curtain - so I can stand under the shower and not have to worry about the mess. When it's done, I take the cheap curtain down and stuff it in a drawer along with my old dressing gown and stained towel (my henna tools!).

The second downside is that, over time, I think it was not good for my hair. I had to wash my hair every day. I usually prefer to do this anyway, but with the henna I had to. But at the same time my hair seemed to get drier over time, and I had a problem with split ends. Whether this was the henna, I don't know, but I'm inclined now to think that it was.

The thing that really annoyed me was that when I telephoned Lush to ask about the ingredients (this was in the days before their ingredients were on their website), they told me it was 100 percent Persian henna. I phoned because I had noticed the increase in split ends, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting any chemicals in my hair. This wasn't just one person who made a mistake, because when I told my hairdresser, he said he could tell that it wasn't pure henna. So I phoned them again, asked to speak to a supervisor, explained that I needed to know what the ingredients were, and was again told it was 100 percent Persian henna, with no chemicals. But I see now from the website that this isn't correct. So that might explain why my hair seemed to get damaged by it over time.

I stopped using it a couple of years ago, and my hair is now in much better condition -- I no longer have to wash it every day -- but I miss the vibrant colour. So I'm considering using henna again, and am also considering buying Caca Rouge again, but only because of the "devil I know" factor. Before I do, I'm going to try to find another source I can trust that sells henna without any additives.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by queencattitude

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is awesome!! I thought the whole process was fun! Here were my steps to getting an awesome head of dark red hair!
(Take note: My hair was brown before)

Make sure you do this when you have a lot of time. It does take a lonnnng time, and I started at about 8 45 and finished at 1 am.

HAVE:

Big bowl(metal or glass)
Wooden or Plastic Large Spoon
Seran Wrap
Cheese grater
Knife to cut blocks

1) For my length and thickness, i used 3 of the sections of the 6 section block. I used a cheese grater to shred the blocks. It took about 10-12 minutes. It wasn't that bad, and was worth it. Especially because I'd rather spend my time doing that than waiting for the block to melt.
2) I just used the insta-hot water, but start mixing the shreads and add the hot water until its about a pudding consistency. It will be grainy, you aren't doing something wrong!
3) Section your hair into 4 parts. Two in front, two in back.
4) coat 1 section at a time. MAKE SURE YOU SPREAD THE HAIR AND SMOTHER IT!EVEN IF YOU NEED TO MAKE MORE.IT IS SO IMPORTANT BECAUSE JUST COATING IT WONT HAVE THE SAME EFFECT. MAKE SURE THE INSIDE OF THE HAIR SECTION IS ALSO COVERED.
5) After you're finished with all sections, they should look like dreads. Make one big bun or just put your hair up. Wrap your head in seran wrap to create a redder effect.
6) Wait 3 hours or so. I'm not sure what happens if you do more or less, but mine turned out good with that time.
7) Rinse all henna out of your hair. Condition it, and then lightly shampoo. Condition again.
8) Now, blow dry or straighten your hair. Over 3 days your hair will get darker/redder. Don't wash your hair during the three days,or at least only do it lightly.

ENJOY!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by nataliecloud9

I LOVED this product. Especially because I *assumed* I was using a healthy alternative to drugstore hair dye.

That was until I discovered these 2 websites:

www.goodguide.com

It turns out LUSH Caca Hennas are rated pretty much just as BAD for your health as most of the drugstore hair dyes!!

(See for yourself! Just search and compare on the websites.)

So LUSH must have some undisclosed, chemicals or ingredients hidden inside :(

It figures... Because no where on the package do they claim Caca is 100% natural.

So be warned... If you are going to use this product strictly to be more health conscience, you are better off buying henna powder and doing it that way because THIS IS NOT CHEMICAL FREE!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2012 1:20:00 AM More reviews by Blossom79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have used this a few times (last time with one block of the noir).

I have tried just about every way of preparing the henna and for me the easiest way is grating. And I have given up trying to get my partner to help me, it is easier on my own, over a sink to catch the drips and just wacking it on. The only thing I find it dyes (other than my hair) is finger nails and towels! Skin and bath etc are all safe.

The easiest way for me is to leave it in over night, covered with cling wrap and a towel.

I shampoo it out once and then condition.

The results: My hair was bleached over new year, so it is pretty damaged and light. It comes out bright ginger (don't want to confuse people by saying red, it isn't a 'red' that you would normally buy as a dye). It looks quite natural which is cool. The last time I used 2 rouge blocks and one noir and it is a darker ginger, probably better for my hair.
I LOVE the smell. I can still smell it on my hair now and just keep randomly smelling my hair. My partner doesn't like it too much though.
Condition wise, it seems to leave my hair LOOKING better, shiney etc, but only until the first wash. It doesn't make it any straighter, and I seem to have more split ends afterwards. I guess this is from having to wash it out?

I can't see myself going back to chemical dyes.