Oatmeal Mask

Price: $

Price: $

Oats

on 1/3/2014 11:40:00 PM

Ahhh so soothing to my irritated acne skin. I used to use regular sized oats and attempt to get it on my face, but I just recently bought finely grained oatmeal, which I found at whole foods in the section where they have all those bins of grains and rices, where you scoop it out into a bag. I tried a "Scottish" cut type, but that was too scratchy. The finely cut one is nice and gentle. I pour some in my hand, add a little water, mush it around, and gently place it all over my face. Then I will either rub it around my face and then wash off or leave it on for a while. I do this after washing my face with raw organic honey. It doesn't cure my acne (trying out Differin right now), but it doesn't dry me out like everything else in the world, and it keeps things calm. yay!

on 12/25/2013 10:22:00 PM

I love this stuff SO much. i have moderatley dry and (at times) very dehydrated skin and this has proven to be the most thorough and gentle cleanser i have EVER found- and i have tried ALOT (i currently have 7 face cleansers that I am trying to use up, lol).

The way that i like to use mine is that i first stir in a tiny little rice bowl (the kind you find in asian stores) about 1-2 teaspoon (the one that came with the little bowl) and i add water or toner, and depending how dry my skin is, a few drops of oil. While i let that sit and let the oatmeal get soft and slippery, i remove my makeup by massaging my face with argan/coconut/camelia/rice bran oil (whichever i fancy that day). I wipe this oil off and begin to massage my skin with the oats. I then use my clarasonic as though it were a regular face wash. i rinse and pat dry, swipe with a toner while still wet and then seal my skin with a cream/ and or oil depending on how dry it is that day.

As far as storage and preperation goes, I grind up my oats until they are a fine powder and put them in a mason jar in my bathroom. I also Love to mix in dehydrated fruit powder and dried coconut milk. I like to add oils and use teas or toners instead of water. I also like to mix in honey and turmeric for skin brightening mask. The mixtures a positively endless!

I also LOVE the fact that I can mix it as i need it- ergo its most potent and freshly made. As someone who tries to live naturally and simply this is a big plus for me!

I hope this helps someone!

on 12/18/2013 3:13:00 PM

Could I love oatmeal more!!! Aahhh this makes my skin SOFT. And does the cleansing part well enough too. Since I dont like washing my face in the morning (cuz you just wash away all the beneficial acids and oils that your skin had made up all night) this is definetly something that I would like to give a try. It is reaalllyyy gentle and works great for skin. (And yummy as a breakfast)

on 12/8/2013 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I soaked organic whole raw oats in a glass of water for 2 hours. After a quick stir, i drained out the oats leaving the oatmeal "milk" in a glass. Using a round cotton pad, I applied a very wet layer to my irritated, red, dry, flaky skin. I felt immediate soothing. I kept reapplying throughout the day and by late afternoon my skin felt right back to normal. This is highly remarkable for me, as I live in a frigid extremely dry climate and I suffer from eczema and dermatitis on my face. I was very happy to notice that all the redness had been alleviated. My skin felt calmed, soothed and lightly moisturized. I will continue to use this "toner" as often as necessary.

on 12/7/2013 2:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this as a facewash, but it was the worrrst ! I liked the smell though . haha .
but i saw review videos etc on Youtube on natural oatmeal as a facewash, and it doesn't do what they say - smoother skin and soothing redness. this actually made me have more pimples and made more bumps on my face..... exactly opposite of what the reviewers say .
this is cheap to have a try though but i won't try it again lol

on 11/20/2013 11:56:00 AM

I was having horrible breakouts from my birth control and tried every acne drugstore product under the sun with no success. I came here and read about the wonders of oatmeal and out of desperation decided to try it. I washed my face with it daily and holy crap it worked! Within 3 days my face was almost completely cleared up! Been using it for a few weeks now and have continued to not get any new pimples. HOWEVER, the reason why I can't give it the 5 stars it deserves is because I have formed a few cold sores and after research, oatmeal is very high in arginine which can lead to outbreaks. So, if you are not prone to cold sores give it a try, you won't regret it but unfortunately I can't continue to use it.

on 11/13/2013 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Out of all things...who would have thought that OATMEAL would be my favorite thing for my face?! and this is coming from a girl who has tried everything under the sun for my mild acne problem. I would have saved sooo much money and time if I found out about this stuff earlier.
After washing my face, my face usually feels dry and I don't really like using lotion in fear of clogging my pores. Oatmeal seems to moisturizer my face really well so I don't feel like I need lotion. All I do is grind up some oats in my magic bullet (I bought organic instant oatmeal from Whole Foods) put some in the palm of my hand, add a little water to make a paste, and let it sit for about 10 minutes and wash it off. Sometimes, I mix it with Sea Salt if I want a little more exfoliation. (just be careful cause it can sting a little sometimes).
My other favorite thing to do with oatmeal is use it as a FACE POWDER! Again, who would have thought!? I have oily skin, so I've been on the hunt for a long time for a good face powder that will work with my oily skin. Most face powders usually end up making me more shiny or get cakey a couple hours later (or both). Some have even made me break out. I found using the ground up oatmeal makes an amazing face powder and actually seems to control my oily skin really well. It sits well on top of my foundation and it doesn't end up looking like sh** a couple hours later. I don't know how it would work for people with dark skin since the oatmeal is light colored, but I have light-medium skin so I don't really have an issue with the color of it. I think it looks great! I just use my regular powder brush, dip it in a little container of the oatmeal, kinda tap it off on the sides, and pat it on my face.
Last but not least, it really seems to be helping with my acne. I've been getting less break outs, and when I do break out, they are much smaller and go away quicker. And that is a HUGE bonus for me.
Thank you to everyone else on here that gave me these ideas to try oatmeal. Never would have thought of it without you guys. <3

on 11/11/2013 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

wow. Not only do I LOOVE to eat oatmeal, but my skin loves it in facemasks too! :D

on 11/6/2013 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Oatmeal is a great treatment for my ultra sensitive skin. It doesn't cause me any irritation, and doesn't dry my skin out at all. I like to use once in awhile as a calming treatment when my skin gets irritated. It gently cleans my face, reduces redness, and helps to heal blemishes all at once. I don't think that oatmeal necessarily prevents acne, but it soothes irritation that can cause acne. A lot of my acne has been caused by irritation, and oatmeal has helped a lot with that. It also seems to help by making my skin a little less oily. The only complaint would be how messy this gets, but it's worth it.

Here's my routine: (I grind up the oats into a powder with my coffee grinder. This makes the exfoliation more gentle on my skin):

- Grab a handful of oats
-Keep a fist around the oats, then run them under lukewarm water until soft
- Gently massage the oats onto your face for about a minute or so.
- Rinse off with lukewarm/cool water.
- Pat dry

*Note: Oatmeal does not remove makeup. It's best when used as a calming treatment.

**Also, I've heard a lot of people are worried about clogging their drains with oatmeal. Grinding them up seems to solve the problem, plus it's more gentle on sensitive skin. If you prefer to use regular whole oats, just run the water for awhile after rinsing them off. This should prevent the oats from sticking and clogging the drains. Hope this helps ^.^ *

I frikkin love oats! More specifically, grounded oats mixed with drops of water as a face wash. It's calming, tones down redness and has anti-inflammatory properties, making it amazing for sensitive, itchy skin. Even if you don't have delicate skin, oats contain a natural cleansing agents called saponins that helps to gently cleanse the skin, cut through the day's grease and mattify while still providing moisture.

To make:

Ground dry oats in a blender for like half a minute. Just make sure its small but not too small, so it can keep its exfoliating properties. I mix it with water in my hand and apply the oat 'milk' (just press into the wet oats) onto easily irritated or red areas (cheeks) and let it sit for a few second before applying the oats all over my face in a circular motion.

It is messy but it instantly soothes my incredibly acne prone, semi sensitive skin. AND it leaves a powdery finish on my skin. It just leaves is so soft and silky and it's really good.

I used to use honey as a cleanser but it does have a PURGING phase that gives you tiny whiteheads for the first week. This is a much better alternative (no purging) and great for all skin types :)

Popular Masks