April 16, 2014 | 940 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by puppylover324

I saw this about 2 years ago on Youtube and I doubted it would work on my oil spill of a face so I disregarded it. THAT WAS A STUPID MOVE! I started using it over the summer and OH MY JESUS! It's my HG item. I apply it once in the morning and I'm good for 8 hours before I have to blot. Usually I had to blot every 2 hours! I can wear it alone (need thin layer though) or under my makeup. It's all good :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2012 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Saphire13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product has helped reduce the oil production on my face soooooo much. My face is was so oily that i would have ti blot it every hour to soak up all that oil. This product has reduced the oil on my face so that when i blot it there isn't even that much oil. After 2 hours there is a bit of shine but its not bad at all. I also like using this as a mask it helps remove all that excess oil and dirt! Plus its cheap! This is definitely another product that i WILL buy again. Also a reminder to all other people out there who have VERY oily skin, DO NOT use a toner, my dermatologist told me that it will just strip you of your natural oils causing your skin to produce more sebum. I stopped using mine and it has helped a bit with my oil production.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by marshmello

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OOOMMMMGGGG!! Who would have thought that something from the medicine cabinet would be so beneficial for oily skin. I'd heard about this trick awhile back but paid it no mind because I thought it was just hype. After seeing several You Tube videos endorsing it, I just had to try it. WOW! What a difference it has made. My makeup looks so flawless now. I appy moisturizer then MoM then my foundation. All is finally set with powder. Perfection. There is no oil slicks to deal with EVER. Unbelievable.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2012 6:32:00 AM More reviews by Kikiii

I gave this four lippies because although it controls my oily skin, it's actually horrible for your skin. MOM destroys the acid mantle on the your skin because it is high in alkalinity. The acid mantle is a thin acidic film on the surface of the skin that acts as a barrier toward bacteria. So you might start breaking out after continued use but hey if it works for you then okay.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2012 3:06:00 PM More reviews by cindy604

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I use the Phillips brand of MoM in original with no extra flavours. Like most reviewers, I have been searching high and low for something to help keep my oily skin under control. My issues are mainly in the T-zone with a forehead and nose so shiny and reflective on their own, I recently had to have my passport picture taken 5 times before it was accepted. But that's just how shiny my skin is even without the help of oil which comes on usually an hour after I've washed my face.

I apply the MoM only in the AM after my face moisturizer and acne spot treatment. Shake the MoM well before applying it to your face or else you'll get a lot of supernatant (clear, separated liquid) and little magnesium hydroxide (white powdery stuff that absorbs the oil). I press a cotton pad to the mouth of the Phillip's bottle and tip it on its head for a second so I don't get too much of it on the pad. Then, I dab it across my forehead, down my nose, and on my chin. I then go back and start patting the MoM in where I've dabbed. I let everything dry for 30 seconds or so before applying my sunscreen and makeup.

Sometimes, if I overload the MoM or don't pat it in well enough, I will notice some white streaks. This isn't usually an issue as it gets blended out by the sunscreen and makeup after. The finish is quite satiny, and my makeup does glide over the areas where I've applied MoM much easier.

As for the mattifying aspect of this product, it is amazing. I didn't expect it to keep my quite so shine-free for an entire day (and it doesn't), but it does well enough into hour 6. I don't even use powder to touch up anymore - just blot with a tissue and I'm good again for another 4 or so hours.

The product is alkali (basic) in nature, so I don't lather it on like I would with silicone-based primers. In fact, I only focus it on my T-zone where I do notice a drying effect after many days of usage in a row. So, I make sure I exfoliate regularly and I have no issues with flakes or breakouts.

I paid $5.99CAD for 500mL of Phillip's original MoM at Walmart. At the rate that I'm going at, the bottle will probably last me 10 years. I won't complain about that!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by VIPnolza

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

NO MORE BLOTTING! OILY SKIN BEGONE!

ehhemm, just had to rejoice there because i finally found something to cure my oily skin! I have the oiliest nose ever and nothing had been able to tame it. My foundation would transfer a lot and i would have to blot multiple times in class (which is annoying while in class) I live in hot and humid florida. Even though its getting into the colder season, its still warsm and a bit humid here which is horrible for my t-zone. I though that i might have to just give up on foundation (or spend on an expensive high end one which i didnt want to do since i need to save!) but milk of magnesia saved me.

If you have combonation skin, apply it to the oily areas and if you have dry skin, dont even bother. This causes a slight tight feeling when it dries (goes away after applying founation) and makes dry skin look dryer. Also, this leaves a while residue when it dries. Do not worry about that, the foundation will cover it all up and it wont show through unless you apply to much. my makeup looks better and lasts longer andi am never going back to primers (probably will keep trying them)

Things to remember is to moisturize so you dont have dry skin before applying, make sure you go easy on the foundation because (depending on how much of the milk of magnesia is apply or foundation) it can make you look a little cakey. Shake the bottle before use. milk of magnesia is good for your skin. My skin feels softer after using it. also, make sure you get the original formula

Edit 11/8: find that this helps me get more coverage with my foundation. Since it turns white, it covers my scars and when i use my foundation they are completely hidden! i love this even more

Edit 1/8/13: so this can make some foundations look very cakey. I learned the hard way. Go easy on the MoM

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by MissKassafrass

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using MoM every day for a few months and it is a miracle product. Since the packaging is embarrassing, I transferred it into a little bottle and just apply it with my fingers after washing my face. It only takes a thin layer, or else it will dry white and be flaky. I absolutely must use MoM, or my face will have melted off within a few hours. With this, my foundation stays on really well, and also my eye makeup. However, it dries almost sticky so foundation doesn't go on smoothly and it takes a lot of blending to get it to look okay. I've heard that MoM messes up the pH of the skin... if I use too much of it for too many days in a row, its almost like my skin gets used to it or something because then it doesn't work as well. Less is more with this, and its a great product for the price. I've also saved a ton of money on blotting sheets!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by cowzipper

I'm using the Kroger generic milk of magnesia and it works the same as the Phillips brand. This actually reminds me of a primer that Clinique made years ago to control oil, but it works even better. I moisturize first and then apply this to my t-zone. It keeps the oil at bay better than any other product I've tried and it doesn't cause breakouts. This is a godsend for me, especially in the high humidity and heat. I want to thank the person that thought of trying this as a primer. Pure genius!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by beautyskindeep

WOW! I'm shocked at well this stuff works for what is actually meant for!! Who know? And I have been spending tons of $$ on primers that really didn't do anything for me? Like most people I was skeptical, but it was 105 degrees here today and with this stuff under my foundation I never even had so much as a shiny spot!! Now that's the ultimate test! I watched a few you-tubers and was a little nervous to try it, but am I ever glad I did because it really does work!! I paid like 4 bucks for it at that!! Give it a try if you have oily skin you will not regret it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 10:38:00 AM More reviews by domirox

Loving this so far as a primer - especially with the crazy heat. I'm a girl prone to shine. I spent all afternoon yesterday outside in the sun, sweating like crazy, felt sticky all over, AND picked up/ran around with a toddler repeatedly throughout the day and just had a dewey look by time I got home in the evening - definitely no shine!

It does look a little off-putting at first when it starts drying on your face, however as soon as you put your make up on top you'd never know what was underneath!

I have (recently) had acne-prone and very dry skin and so far haven't had any irritation from using Milk of Mag. (I have only recently started using it however so I would need a bit more time to make sure my skin is ok!)

At the price and for the job it does, it can't be beat. The only difficulty is that it comes in a big bottle so its mildly inconvenient to dip my sponge into, although I think I'll just pour some into a smaller make up pot. Tthe one I got is comparable to an average - not large - bottle of mouthwash - and was only $8.49!!

I am recommending this to anyone who will listen! So happy that I came across this product during my hunt for a primer to help with oily/shiny skin.