November 23, 2014 | 2133 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia as Primer

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 3:21:00 AM More reviews by JustMeas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

When I saw a chain grocery store's generic version of MOM at my local 99cent store, that was my chance to finally try it. If this didn't work for me, someone in the household could use it for it's intended purpose before it expires next year. Or I'm out a buck.

Verdict: Noone had better touch the newest addition to my woman caveroom.

I shake the bottle,apply product with cotton ball, paint t-zone after moisturizer and before makeup and it does hold back the oilies pretty well. The *BEST* thing, I've had to research because I've seen no mention of this before: something in this product is really good for my skin. A very old, very small scar is softer in appearance and moving closer to a normal look than I've ever seen - and believe me, when it was new, many-many-many years ago, I tried everything.

My unscientific musing: The skin, especially facial skin, is in a constant state of repairing its physical integrity after we scrub it, retin-a it, buff and pummel it with all types of brushes and beads and fangles flowing from pretty jars and - well you get my meaning...
My very basic search of research material on healing skin is that topical mag hydroxide (MOM) concluded better cosmetic outcome with the use of this agent. (Google is our friend:)

While I do prefer Monistat antichafing gel as my everyday primer for the smooth finish, I'm still putting this on the scar and tracking the change: If its good enough for the researchers on pubmed, its good enough for me and what the heck, it cost a dollar.

And for those too shy to ask, no, I have noticed no translation in absorption of this product on my face... to lower bodily regions:)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by almost

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Milk of Magnesia is not safe for off-label use on your face. Sodium hypochlorite (aka bleach) decomposes over time, releasing chlorine, oxygen and sodium hydroxide. This happens very slowly, but I would not recommend MOM for long term use to avoid sustained exposure to bleach fumes. With consistent use, this stuff can't be good for you.

10 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2013 5:14:00 AM More reviews by nadiame

This sucked! I was stoked just to try it because of like good reviews. I have combination skin, so oily on my t-zone and dry around my cheeks. So, when I use it on my face around my cheeks it emphasizes the dry patches, also around my nose and forehead where it gets oily it emphasizes my pores and acne areas. But, only pro about this product was I got for 0.99 but I am extremely disappointed that it didn't work out for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2012 7:54:00 AM More reviews by kinta80s

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

After seeing the raves, I bought this right away yesterday from a local pharmacy and costs me 10€ (I live in Finland, so medicines are pricier here).

I normally go on days with oil-slick face. Found a cure to tame it down some months ago with Clarins beauty flash balm that my MUA recommended to me on my wedding day. It took the grease off the skin for around 4h.

Today I've had light pat of MoM since early morning. Now it's 3PM here, and I still haven't noticed any slight hint of oiliness and my face feels matte and fresh. I was afraid that MoM would take away the rest of natural oil of my skin and makes my face looks dull, but this just looks as if I was wearing quite unnoticed translucent powder. With amazing staying power.

Would definitely put MoM under eyelid primer next time I'm using eyeshadows as well (even urban decay naked creases on me due to my oiliness after 30mins of application)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by puppylover324

I saw this about 2 years ago on Youtube and I doubted it would work on my oil spill of a face so I disregarded it. THAT WAS A STUPID MOVE! I started using it over the summer and OH MY JESUS! It's my HG item. I apply it once in the morning and I'm good for 8 hours before I have to blot. Usually I had to blot every 2 hours! I can wear it alone (need thin layer though) or under my makeup. It's all good :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2012 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Saphire13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product has helped reduce the oil production on my face soooooo much. My face is was so oily that i would have ti blot it every hour to soak up all that oil. This product has reduced the oil on my face so that when i blot it there isn't even that much oil. After 2 hours there is a bit of shine but its not bad at all. I also like using this as a mask it helps remove all that excess oil and dirt! Plus its cheap! This is definitely another product that i WILL buy again. Also a reminder to all other people out there who have VERY oily skin, DO NOT use a toner, my dermatologist told me that it will just strip you of your natural oils causing your skin to produce more sebum. I stopped using mine and it has helped a bit with my oil production.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by marshmello

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OOOMMMMGGGG!! Who would have thought that something from the medicine cabinet would be so beneficial for oily skin. I'd heard about this trick awhile back but paid it no mind because I thought it was just hype. After seeing several You Tube videos endorsing it, I just had to try it. WOW! What a difference it has made. My makeup looks so flawless now. I appy moisturizer then MoM then my foundation. All is finally set with powder. Perfection. There is no oil slicks to deal with EVER. Unbelievable.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2012 6:32:00 AM More reviews by Kikiii

I gave this four lippies because although it controls my oily skin, it's actually horrible for your skin. MOM destroys the acid mantle on the your skin because it is high in alkalinity. The acid mantle is a thin acidic film on the surface of the skin that acts as a barrier toward bacteria. So you might start breaking out after continued use but hey if it works for you then okay.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2012 3:06:00 PM More reviews by cindy604

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I use the Phillips brand of MoM in original with no extra flavours. Like most reviewers, I have been searching high and low for something to help keep my oily skin under control. My issues are mainly in the T-zone with a forehead and nose so shiny and reflective on their own, I recently had to have my passport picture taken 5 times before it was accepted. But that's just how shiny my skin is even without the help of oil which comes on usually an hour after I've washed my face.

I apply the MoM only in the AM after my face moisturizer and acne spot treatment. Shake the MoM well before applying it to your face or else you'll get a lot of supernatant (clear, separated liquid) and little magnesium hydroxide (white powdery stuff that absorbs the oil). I press a cotton pad to the mouth of the Phillip's bottle and tip it on its head for a second so I don't get too much of it on the pad. Then, I dab it across my forehead, down my nose, and on my chin. I then go back and start patting the MoM in where I've dabbed. I let everything dry for 30 seconds or so before applying my sunscreen and makeup.

Sometimes, if I overload the MoM or don't pat it in well enough, I will notice some white streaks. This isn't usually an issue as it gets blended out by the sunscreen and makeup after. The finish is quite satiny, and my makeup does glide over the areas where I've applied MoM much easier.

As for the mattifying aspect of this product, it is amazing. I didn't expect it to keep my quite so shine-free for an entire day (and it doesn't), but it does well enough into hour 6. I don't even use powder to touch up anymore - just blot with a tissue and I'm good again for another 4 or so hours.

The product is alkali (basic) in nature, so I don't lather it on like I would with silicone-based primers. In fact, I only focus it on my T-zone where I do notice a drying effect after many days of usage in a row. So, I make sure I exfoliate regularly and I have no issues with flakes or breakouts.

I paid $5.99CAD for 500mL of Phillip's original MoM at Walmart. At the rate that I'm going at, the bottle will probably last me 10 years. I won't complain about that!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by VIPnolza

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

NO MORE BLOTTING! OILY SKIN BEGONE!

ehhemm, just had to rejoice there because i finally found something to cure my oily skin! I have the oiliest nose ever and nothing had been able to tame it. My foundation would transfer a lot and i would have to blot multiple times in class (which is annoying while in class) I live in hot and humid florida. Even though its getting into the colder season, its still warsm and a bit humid here which is horrible for my t-zone. I though that i might have to just give up on foundation (or spend on an expensive high end one which i didnt want to do since i need to save!) but milk of magnesia saved me.

If you have combonation skin, apply it to the oily areas and if you have dry skin, dont even bother. This causes a slight tight feeling when it dries (goes away after applying founation) and makes dry skin look dryer. Also, this leaves a while residue when it dries. Do not worry about that, the foundation will cover it all up and it wont show through unless you apply to much. my makeup looks better and lasts longer andi am never going back to primers (probably will keep trying them)

Things to remember is to moisturize so you dont have dry skin before applying, make sure you go easy on the foundation because (depending on how much of the milk of magnesia is apply or foundation) it can make you look a little cakey. Shake the bottle before use. milk of magnesia is good for your skin. My skin feels softer after using it. also, make sure you get the original formula

Edit 11/8: find that this helps me get more coverage with my foundation. Since it turns white, it covers my scars and when i use my foundation they are completely hidden! i love this even more

Edit 1/8/13: so this can make some foundations look very cakey. I learned the hard way. Go easy on the MoM