April 16, 2014 | 970 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2014 8:06:00 AM More reviews by InLove87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is an excellent make up remover! I can´t understand what took me so long to buy it!
(Maybe it was the price... It costs 35euros)

I am not a big fan of double cleansing, although I use makeup with sunscreen. I just don´t like cleansing oils (I have tried Nuxe bio make up removing oil and Dior cleansing oil), they are messy, leave an residue to my eyes (I wear contact lenses and have sensitive eyes) and they don´t even seem to remove my foundation. This one is different. It´s hard and waxy and easy to use, you just rub it in your face and when you follow with water, it becomes kind of liquid. Some reviewers here say it becomes oily, but I don´t think so. It´s more like cleansing milk.

I have tried this for dry skin (as it says in the packaging) and for damp skin. I think it works better when the skin is a little bit damp (not wet!), because it´s easier to rub and you don´t have to use so much of the product. In my opinion you need quite a big amount to clean your whole face, so considering the high price this one will probably run out quite fast.

This product really removes all my base make up (I use bb-cream (clinique or garnier), mineral foundation (bare minerals), blush (mus), eye brow crayon (chanel), waterproof mascara (lancome or lumene), eye shadow primer (urban decay) and eyeshadow (chanel)). One important thing is that it really removes almost all of my waterproof mascara, which is something that no product ment for the whole face has NEVER EVER earlier done. I usually spend five minutes rubbing my eye make up with different lotions or makeup removers and cotton pad, but this product really takes 95% of my mascara away. Afterwards I just have to wipe my eyes a few times with a cotton pad.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by gemmaj

Best cleanser that ever existed! It's simple: takes all of your makeup of in one go, leaves skin smooth and soft, doesn't strip the skin off. It's just everything I look for in a cleanser. I'm on my third one and my skin looovees it!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Silly_Girl

I hate this stuff, it works well to take makeup off but it leaves my combination skin absolutely dehydrated, stripped of all moisture and the longer I used it the worse it got. Try the cleansing milk instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by Poli93

My HG cleanser. Read about this on Caroline Hiron's blog and she was raving about this so I knew it had to be good. It's a no-fuff, simple, effective cleanser. Takes ALL my makeup off, you only need the tiniest amount, leaves skin clean, glowing and sooo soft.
At first i thought it was a bit expensive but it lasts ages. I bought mine 3 months ago and its more than half full (I use it every night!).
Doesn't have any nasty ingredients not perfume so perfect for sensitive skin. I have combination skin, prone to oiliness and I find this helps keep a balance.
Love love love it, couldn't reccommend it more.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 10:55:00 PM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think of this cleansing balm as one of my "reluctant" HGs. You know, products that aren't glamorous, or you don't like the packaging, or cost more than you think they should. This did not appeal to me at first, mostly because I bear an irrational grudge against Clinique for the 3-step system and what it did to my skin years ago. However, they redeemed themselves for me with this, since I evidently cannot go without it.

It comes in a jar, has a weird, thick, waxy consistency, very much like vegetable shortening. It has no smell, which I like, but which does make for sort of a dull cleansing experience. However, I have very difficult, sensitive, dry, and thin skin which is also breakout-prone, and so the wrong cleanser or makeup remover that's too harsh will absolutely trash my skin. On the other hand, if I don't remove every trace of primer, BB cream, sunscreen, fdtn, etc. I will face clogged pores and sometimes bigger pimples. So this is an essential step before my regular cleanser to remove everything first. I just scoop out a little bit with my finger, rub it all over my dry face, and then add a little water to emulsify it and "lift" everything. It soon turns milky, and then I rinse it off, along with all of my makeup, even my eye makeup just melts off.
I follow with Burt's Bees Radiance cleanser and the rest of my routine.

The great thing is that this has caused no reactions on my fussy skin, and it doesn't strip my skin of natural oils either. I do wish it was a little cheaper, but honestly? A great makeup remover is hard to find and I'm willing to fork over the money if it works as well as this does.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2014 12:24:00 AM More reviews by Scarlett123

Just seemed to smear my makeup , not take it off. The creamy consistency is nice though.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2014 12:02:00 AM More reviews by svillain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not for me. I love the idea of this, and I usually like Clinique products (I've used the Mild clarifying lotion and Super Rescue moisturizer for years). I gave this a fair chance and used it for a full month, but it was a true disaster. It was extremely drying, so my skin was irritated and flaky. If I got the even the tiniest bit on my lips, they peeled and stung for days. And on top of it all I broke out everywhere. Spots all over my face, the likes of which I hadn't seen since my teenage years. I normally get minor hormonal breakouts on my chin, but these were deep, painful red pimples, even on my cheeks where I have never had a spot before. I returned it and have mostly recovered.

This product is obviously a hit with a lot of MUAers and bloggers, and I wish it worked for me. But if your skin is like mine -- sensitive, dry, prone to both flakiness and acne (i.e. low cell turnover) -- use caution!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 7:22:00 PM More reviews by sammymumford

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the first review I have ever written.. but after trying this balm I had to write it a review. Before this I was doing absolutely nothing to my face.. other than using face wipes (naughty I know) to remove my makeup before bed and cleaning my face with soap and water in the mornings. I have clear skin.. hardly ever get spots and have always been a bit afraid that if I start using different products on my face I might start to break out.
Clinique has changed this!! I wanted to try this balm after watching a skincare tutorial by Tanya Burr on YouTube... I tried literally everywhere to get it.... it was sold out worldwide and now I know why. Oh my days.. it is just amazing.
You only need a small amount which you put onto a dry face.. as you rub it in it turns from a solid balm into a milky consistency then you just rinse off with water. I do this once having had a full face of makeup on and all of the makeup has gone! No black mascara circles around the eyes.. nothing!
I've been using this product for a month now and it is something I will buy time and time again. It hasn't caused any breakouts. My skin feels clear and smooth. My face looks brighter and fresher. It comes in a purple tub with a silver lid which I think is really cute. It is fragrance free (I normally like a product with fragrance) and is a little bit pricey.. but I think it is worth every single penny. It is just amazing I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Retrohousewife

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My 89 year old grandma talked me into this and now I am a believer. She is a 40 year user of Clinique cold cream. Her advice is to tissue it off, not rinse it off. This balances my combination skin and leaves it feeling so soft and smooth. It's silky, but no greasy. It removes even waterproof and long wearing makeup with ease. Best followed with Clinique Clarifying Lotion.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've always used the typical eye makeup removers but it was getting expensive since I use it up quickly. I bought this balm and it removes my eye makeup perfectly...even super water proof mascara. It also removes all other makeup. I love it. I will continue to repurchase.