July 22, 2014 | 1279 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Nikkikat3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

D'oh! So I've been buying this for years, mostly using it with a cotton ball to dissolve the heavy eye makeup I usually wear. I didn't pay much attention to the instructions (and plus over time the formula on your fingers will dissolve the text anyway).

So I was happy, if sheepish, to have this on hand when I learned about double cleansing. I'd been using whatever liquid soap I had on hand to wash my face and it seemed to be just fine, but I've been double cleansing for awhile now and my skin is totally different. You wouldn't take a dirty dish in the sink and just splash some cold water and detergent on it, would you? This has been GREAT for my oily, acne-prone skin that I occasionally peel with Retin-A.

You just need a dime of the cleansing balm. Taking your time to rub it in and really massage your face feels great. I (GENTLY!) wipe it off with a hot washcloth, using a different washcloth for each wash to make sure I'm not spreading face bacteria again. This can be as exfoliating as you want depending on the pressure/repetition; I occasionally use a Clarisonic for step 2 but it just means I need to be gentler on step 1.

I haven't found the holy grail of followup cleansing milk/fluid yet, but the cheap stuff (Cetaphil or Avalon Organics Cleansing Milk) works just fine.

My skin has been more dewy/moist since I started this, I get fewer flakes from the Retin-A treatments, and my skin is overall clearer. Can't argue with these results.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by ashmaaa

Perfect gentle cleansing method. Wipes/ cotton rounds used with micellar solutions irritate my skin a lot. I double cleanse, using neutrogena's extra gentle cleanser after this. My skin loves it. I have acneic reactive skin and this cleansing routine has calmed my skin down by 100%. No more redness.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 3:56:00 AM More reviews by ibangal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was running out of my MAC cleansing oil then i was reading about cleansing balm so i thought maybe i should try one out. Pick this one up and now i like it more than my cleansing oil. It cleans the same way but less messy than the cleansing oil. My face feels cleans after using it. Its in a jar so its not that hygienic, so i use a cotton swab or spatula to take some out whenever i use it. Just need a little bit so this jar will last a long time

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by angiee0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

About me: acne prone, sensitive dry skin.
I LOVE THIS STUFF. However, if you are sensitive or acne prone, you need to know what your triggers are! I know of two oils that my skin loves and soaks up without breakouts which are sunflower oil and argan oil. This is sunflower oil based. Therefore, if you know this is a trigger, then you should stay away. You know that super clean feeling you get when you use regular soap for your face, but it comes along with that tight feeling? Well, this you get that clean feeling but without feeling tight. HG product for me!

Pros
-clean feeling without feeling tight
-it is very therapeutic for me while applying because I will massage it in for a min or so
-removes all makeup (including eye makeup) but i have not tried waterproof mascara
-doesn't break my sensitive acne prone skin out
-it isn't super hydrating but since using this, I noticed a decrease in my dry patches in the winter

Cons
-Price is high
-It is in a big tub that you are sticking your fingers in
-It is a little too rich to use in the morning for me

I don't see this working well for oily skin or those who know that sunflower oil is your trigger. This is excellent for dry skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by waterlilly26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing! I was using Mac's cleanse of oil, which I love but.... It's messy, the oil runs all over the place when trying to pump some into your hands. So I thought I would try a cleansing balm, hands down best thing ever. All the Benifits of the cleanse off oil without the mess of the oil. It even turns milky when you add water(Mac cleanse off oil did the same) and rinses clean. No need for a cloth but I enjoy using a Muslin cloth when I feel like some pampering. Place hot cloth over face for a minute then wipe away. I'm a faithful user of this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by emmab6756

Gorgeous cleanser, I'm on my 3rd pot. I have oily congested but sensitive and dehydrated skin and this suits me to the ground. It takes all my makeup off without leaving me stripped and dry but equally no oily residue. I massage it in well and then remove gently with a warm face cloth. I tend to double cleanse but there is no makeup to be seen in my clean face cloth the second time around. Good price considering the amount if product. I decant into a smaller pot for travel due to the bulkiest if the jar but like how it feels in my hand in the bathroom.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 10:53:00 AM More reviews by hanako283

This has completely replaced Bioderma Sensibio/Crealine in my routine. It requires no rubbing and doesn't waste any cotton pads. It's a very gentle, unscented, no-fuss cleansing balm that's affordable (in North America) and widely available. It soothes my combination, dehydrated, congested skin, but a second cleanse is still required. I take this balm off with a wash cloth, and then use a gentle, hydrating cleanser as a second step. When I wash off the second cleanser with the cloth, there is no make-up traces, proving that the balm removed everything! My skin feels very comfortable and and clean after these two steps. I love this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

Along with The Body Shop's Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter, this is the only other facial cleansing balm I've tried. And as with TBS's version, this is a really effective product which is easy to use and leaves my face feeling thoroughly cleansed but not stripped. The bonus of this one over TBS's version though is that this one's unscented, which I have to say I much prefer.

To use this I take a piece about the size of a pound coin and warm it between my fingertips before rubbing it in all over my face, including my eyes, to remove all my makeup. This has never failed yet to remove any kind of makeup (although I can't vouch for its ability to remove waterproof mascara as I don't wear it). After rubbing it in thoroughly - at which point you can literally see your makeup 'melting' - I wet a muslin face cloth and give my face a thorough wipe over to make sure I've removed every last scrap. I then pat dry and follow with my regular moisturiser (I don't use toner as it plays havoc with my sensitive skin).

This is definitely a repurchase product for me, even though it comes in at the more expensive end of the range at 22.00GBP. Having said that, I got mine for Christmas, have used it pretty much every day and haven't even got through the first quarter of the tub yet, so I'm guessing this is going to last me a pretty long time (3+ months). Brilliant!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by doggon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE THIS STUFF!! Bought as a cheaper alternative to Emma Hardie balm, but I actually prefer this to the EH one now. Removes every scrap of makeup, no need for toner afterwards, with EH I always felt I needed to use something else as skin felt a bit slick even after washing it off. The only thing with this balm is the consistency, but once you get over the fact it looks and feels like you're rubbing a mixture of lard and Vaseline on your face, it's great. I think its good value too, just over £20, and considering I bought it about 7 months ago and there's still about a quarter left (with everyday use), I think it'll work out about £2 a month. Bargain.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 4:52:00 AM More reviews by xxtine1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a huge sucker for anything Paula Begoun says which is why I bought this.

Pros:
- Don't have to use very much - is lasting for ages.
- Emulsifies with water easily - unlike some cleansing balms - I'm looking at you Lush's Ultrabland
- Looks great on the bathroom counter
- Doesn't dry out my skin - but also doesn't leave a greasy film

Cons:
- Price! NZ$64. I got mine when I had a $20 voucher plus 20% off which made it much more affordable.
- Has started to smell a bit gross, I'm hoping the oils haven't gone rancid. EDIT: Clinique New Zealand thank you! I sent them my container after it had started to turn smelly. They sent me a new pot immediately. I think this time I will use some sort of spatula to get it out instead of my fingers.

A very good product and if I had the money to spend I would definitely buy it again.