November 28, 2014 | 1789 users online

Treatments (Face) - Aura Cacia - Apricot Kernel Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by av315

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am 28 with normal, sensitive and acne-prone skin. I don't have very dry skin so I was sure my skin would go bezerk with pure apricot kernel oil since most skincare products make me break out, especially on my forehead and around my hairline and chin. But NO, this stuff is pure goodness for my skin! It doesn't clog my pores and it seems to go on smooth (not dry like grapeseed oil) but without being greasy like EVOO or Avocado oil (although I definitely would only put AKO on at night). I just lightly blot it and a little while later it's absorbed. I agree with others that the bottle I bought definitely makes it hard to not pour too much. It has a very neutral pleasant smell and blends great with essential oils.

UPDATE: I left for four days and somehow left without my AKO and went without moisturizer those nights. Anyway, the second or third day, the tiny bumps that I had along my jawline and hairline came back! People told me that AKO keeps your skin clear which seemed unlikely given how rich the oil is. I just didn't want it to CREATE problems where there were none, I wasn't expecting it to solve any. I now believe. I am back and I've been back on plain AKO with nothing added for three days and the bumps started clearing up after the second night of me using the oil again.

Summary: not expensive, it's rich without being greasy, neutral smelling, doesn't clog pores (may even clear things up), cruelty-free and as natural as you can get.

UPDATE: My friend suggested I try putting AKO on my hair which I did. It seems greasy and like it isn't going to absorb (kind of like on your skin) but an hour later my hair feels SILKY SMOOTH! Is there anything this stuff cannot do?!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2010 5:32:00 PM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Update: it's been seven months, and my skin still loves this oil. Cannot do any wrong with my acne-prone skin. Keeps it clear and moisturized--and removes everything.

I've changed my method a bit now that it's warming up: wash with cetaphil, rinse, then apply oil and massage for 1-2 minutes. Rinse out two baby wipes (to get the chemicals out) and wipe off oil. Apply fav moisturizer and go.

Update: it's been a month, and my skin just loves this stuff. I stopped using it for a week just because I thought I didn't need the extra moisture since it's been so humid, and after a week of not using it, I had a breakout. I applied the oil and massaged for a few minutes, and the next morning, completely clear again! I never would have guessed that oil would help my skin, and I've tried other oils, but this one has something different. Try it.

I've been using this for about a week now, since starting back with my glycolic 35% peels (now that summer is coming to an end) to help with the flakies because my moisturizer is so light that it doesn't have enough staying power. Even though I'm acne-prone, I haven't had any problems yet, and I usually react after 3-4 days. I will update if that changes.

I'm using it to massage in after cleansing with Cetaphil. I don't really wipe it off, but if there's excess, I use a blotter.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2010 12:45:00 PM More reviews by PinkMademoiselle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ladies, I may have stumbled onto the holiest of HGs. I have the absolute worst skin-type: very sensitive and prone to both dryness and acne. It's near impossible to find products that can balance the two variables. If I over-moisturize I get massive breakouts and if under-moisturize for the sake of acne, I get dry patches and tightness. It doesn't help that my skin is easily sensitized by fragrance, anti-aging ingredients, heavy silicones and a lot of natural extracts. I finally learned to avoid overly formulated products. The ones labeled as "natural" are just as irritating, if not more. Keeping it simple is the best thing I've ever done for my skin, but not after much trial and error. I've tried jojoba, grapeseed, avocado, and EVOO on their own and mixed with other moisturizers. None hit the spot quite like Apricot Kernel Oil. This is just right. It feels like pure heaven on my skin, not too heavy or greasy, or pore-clogging like EVOO, not drying like grapeseed. It sinks in beautifully. I will slather it on liberally at night and will have zero breakouts in the morning. I love waking up with even healthy-looking skin. I also use it as a pre-cleanser to help dissolve makeup. I love that I don't have to worry about harmful ingredients or irritation, it's like mother nature created this amazing oil specifically for my skin-type. It is believed to have the most potent anti-aging properties and is touted as a hidden beauty secret among older generations of women. I'm 28 and while I do have pre-mature wrinkles, I haven't used it long enough to confirm this. What I do know that it is the best moisturizer I've tried to date.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2010 9:59:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is actually a review for Hobe brand of apricot kernel oil but it is essentially the same thing. Anyway, I like this oil because it is pretty good at removing makeup, including mascara and gel eyeliner. It doesn't irritate my skin or cause a burning sensation, unlike Origins cleansing oil. It is also a humectant, which is a good thing even if you have oily skin. You can find it at plenty of health food stores. The only con is that it doesn't emulsify when it comes into contact with water but then again it is oil *shrugs*. I purchased the four ounce bottle but plan to get the bigger bottle when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 12:38:00 PM More reviews by product_junkie6

PROS:
This makes an excellent body scrub when mixed with sugar!

The oil is light and doesn't have much of a scent to it, which makes it perfect for applying to your body before bed. It's also really nice to apply this to your legs after you shave.

CONS:
I find it to be a bit more greasy than grapeseed oil (but less so than coconut oil)
It's hard to control how much oil comes out of the bottle, you have to just tilt it gently to avoid pouring out too much.

I am on my second bottle and will keep purchasing this!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2009 4:46:00 PM More reviews by twistedlogic

This is also a review for apricot oil in general.

Apricot oil is my ONLY one true holy grail in the entire world that I have ever encountered. Yes, I am pretty passionate about it. I will never ever be without it again. Nothing has ever made my skin so radiant, moisturized and glow with health. Nothing. It's great for around the eye area also, it makes my eyes look much less tired and practically removes dark circles and whatever lines I might have.
It's great for the body too, obviously, great for hands and nails, feet, lips. All over.
I've gone through my share of products over the years, and this is the only thing that has ever truly fucking impressed me. It's fucking amazing.

Miracle product? YOU BETCHA. Go try it, right now. You can get it at like health stores, and in my experience it's pretty cheap.

100% apricot kernel oil... Will you marry me?

12 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2009 2:12:00 PM More reviews by korean

1st off i only use the one that says organic, which is kinda hard to find lately.

it has a light nutty scent, didn't break me out, takes a while to absorb so i use it after showers, the bottle squirts out a little to much at a time,but all in all its a great natural product.

i use it on my face, arms,legs, feet, lips, hands and under eye.
it hasn't taken away fine lines, but when i wake up in the morning my skin looks supple and smooth.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2009 3:33:00 AM More reviews by greenclover

My review is not for Aura Cacia apricot kernel oil but apricot kernel oil in general (but I'll put it here since plain/ brand-less apricot kernel oil is not listed). I'm not sure why apricot kernel oil is listed only under Aura Cacia brand apricot kernel oil as I'm sure its no different from any other apricot kernel oil. You can get a lot of good quality apricot kernel oils online for a lot cheaper anyway.
Apricot kernel oil is one of my favorite all around moisturizing oils. Very nice for sensitive skin. A good mix of a light and heavy oil. Not a "dry" oil like grapeseed but not very heavy (or slow to sink in) like avocado (though I do like avocado for mixing with lighter oils). It has no real scent and is nice for scenting with essential oils. Doesn't work any specific miracles but moisturizes and silkens skin very nicely (has a relatively high vitamin A and B content).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2008 6:18:00 PM More reviews by alenemccoy

I tried this based on the reviews here. I would never have otherwise tried anything like it because I have oily skin. So in all fairness, this is probably just not something to use for my skin type. Needless to say it was too oily for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2008 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Cottoncandyandlollipops

I'm all about more natural products and this is one of them.
Originally I moisturized my face with the sweet almond oil by the same brand. Loved it and still do but apricot kernel oil works even better. It is so great at smoothing away fine lines and nurishing the skin. My skin is left amazingly smooth, supple and hydrated but I primarily use this as a facial cleanser.

Tip: Instead of using a cleanser with added chemicals you can use this product or sweet almond oil as a cleanser in the shower. "OIl dissolves oil" so it cleans out all the junk out of your pores and leaves NO trace of meakeup. I use sweet almond oil as an in the shower facial cleanser and apricot kernel oil as a moisturizer.

(My skin is super sensitive and acne prone. This oil has never caused me to break out).
Edit: Still using this oil as a facial cleanser as nothing else compares. For best results as a last step after you rinse off the apricot oil use a clean wet cotton face cloth, it's natural and works great for exfoliation

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No