Extra Virgin Olive Oil

4.4

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

on 1/5/2015 11:55:00 PM

The best ingredient to use for my dry, patchy skin during winter. Great for make up removal especially heavy eye make up

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

As a face or body moisturizer, I cannot use olive oil as a standalone option for my dehydrated (lacking water) skin. I have used a couple drops mixed into my regular moisturizer, or as a second layer with some success. While it moisturizes well enough and I have not experienced any adverse effects such as acne or other reactions, it doesn't absorb entirely and it can get onto my sheets or clothing or just make me look and feel too greasy.

As a makeup remover, I find it is much too greasy. It is the only straight oil that I've ever used (out of mineral, avocado, almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, etc.) to remove eye makeup that has found its way into my actual eyes causing my vision to be blurred. It is effective, but not as easy-to-use as other options.

For my hair (low-porosity virgin Asian hair), I have tried some on my dry ends when I had longer hair, but again I found it didn't absorb well and just left the ends looking and feeling lank and greasy.

Overall, while I think EVOO is an attractively available option, there are other oils I much prefer for my face, makeup remover, and hair (rosehip seed, mineral, and argan oil respectively).

on 1/2/2015 3:58:00 PM

I needed extra moisture since the weather has been so cold and dry so thought I'd give evoo after washing my face. My eyes looked plump and moisturized my skin looked dewy. Then the next day I woke up to two painful cysts, I never get them usually. I'll stick to evoo capsules and frying my garlic, not recommending for the face.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I don't use olive oil as a day to day moisturizer, I actually use this as a sort of "reset button" for my skin. Anytime I have a bad zit or dry skin or irritation, I slap on a bit of oil, let it sit for an hour, and blot away the excess with a piece of paper towel. The next day my skin is back to it's usual, sensitive-dry-combination, light acne-having self.

I do recommend this, and I consistently repurchase this anytime I run out (which is not often).

on 12/17/2014 9:22:00 AM

Grandma´s tip for hair.Stopped hair breakage

on 12/14/2014 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use this for cooking and taking off my makeup! I've been using it YEARS. It's AMAZING and emollient enough to take off EVERYTHING, including all kinds of makeup and sunscreen. I wear only waterproof mascara because no other type holds the curl of my freshly curled Asian lashes. I just dump a small amount of EVOO on the palm of my hand and distribute it all over my face, concentrating on the eyes. Gently rub and it just melts all of my makeup off. Then I just use my face wash to double cleanse and ta-da! Clean face! I have no clue why I ever though the only thing that should be used to take off makeup were pre-made makeup removers. No sending down possibly harmful stuff down the drain or using endless cotton pads or wipes.

I have tried lots of other oils to take off makeup/sunscreen over the years (rosehip, hemp seed, macadamia, castor/sunflower, sweet almond, tamanu, kukui, hazelnut, etc.) and I prefer EVOO for its texture/consistency (other oils are too light/"dry" or too thick to spread as easily) and accessibility.

It was also a great moisturizer on my body when I used it in the shower in a homemade sugar scrub. =) SUPER SOFT SKIN. But I don't like to use it as a regular body moisturizer, even in the shower, because it's too greasy-feeling on my skin. I'm one of those people who can't stand ANY filmy-feels on their body skin. :/ Especially when putting clothes on after.. So..

on 11/19/2014 4:11:00 PM

*my rating reflects the use of olive oil as a moisturizer only*
I love olive oil for 2 things: cooking and hot honey&oil treatment for hair, (though make sure to shampoo thoroughly after hair treatment so your hair doesn't cause breakouts). The thing about using this on the face is that it will clog pores! On the comedogenicity scale
(0 non-comedogenic - 5 oily pore party) olive oil ranks in about a 2-3 which means it will not go on my face and it shouldn't go on yours. There is a high amount of oleic acid which which will clog your pores when left on skin. I suggest sticking to eating the olive oil with garlic and onions, whole grain pasta and romano....ok, time to make dinner!

on 11/5/2014 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love EVOO!
I have very sensitive skin and over the years i have tried everything for my face,from cononut oil(can only tolerate this oil under my eyes and body) to almond oil,creams.All irritated my facial skin.I began using this combination with olive oil when i had very bad eczema on my eyelids from an eyecream.Within an hour the burning feeling went away and the next day skin was healing.From then on i began using it on my whole face.For me that was the first time i applied something on my face without giving me a burning feeling!!This is the only oil that doesn't irritate and makes my skin beautiful,strong and moisturized.But as with all oils,for me, the application is key.On my face i'll never use an oil on his own,i always mix it with some other oil,or honey.This is my ultimate combination,i mix about 3 drops of organic honey,3 drops of vitamin e oil(from a capsule) and a splash of organic olive oil(sometimes more or less,it's not that important,just don't slather it on,just a thin layer) and press it carefully on wet skin and under my eyes and follow with organic sunscreen(Lovea Bio).My under eye skin is wrinkle free.For the first time since my 30's my skin feels healthy and plump,without irritation and all thanks to a cheap treatment and without any harsch chemicals
l must pat the oil always on a wet face.On a dry face it will irritate my skin and i use always a small amount at a time.I never slather it on!

on 10/25/2014 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

LOVE EVOO. I buy the empty bottles that have the pop up tops like dawn dish soap at Riteaid and fill them with 3/4 water and 1/4 EVOO, shake it up and then squirt it on a cotton pad as makeup remover. It melts waterproof makeup right off and is so gentle, plus for someone like me who tends to get flaky, dry skin around her eyes year round it is a great moisturizer. I mix it with water as when shaken up it allows the EVOO to distrubute more evenly on the cotton pad plus the PH of water is better for your skin as it is similar. I recommend it to everyone, even my friend who works at a haunted house and has to use a ton of greasy, pan makeup on his face swears by this as a makeup remover now.

I also use EVOO on a damped wedge makeup sponge in the winter about 15 minutes before makeup on any dry parts of my face. I get flaky, tight skin in the winter as I live in a cold region that has brutal winters that mandate lots of moisture sucking heating. EVOO is the only thing I can use on my ultra sensitive skin that doesn't break me out with rashes and redness (even "baby moisturizers" can make me get nasty, bumpy red rashes).

on 10/13/2014 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

EVOO works great on hair but not my skin. It helped control oil for a day and then my skin just go so dry afterwards cuz it thought it produced enough oil due to the evoo.

Popular Moisturizers