Sugar

Price: $

Sugar

on 8/28/2012 7:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Definite lifesaver for my skin! While some people find it overly-abrasive for the face, but I find it just right. I usually mix it with a clay mask like my Freeman's Lemon & Mint clay mask as an exfoliating mask, and leave it on for a minute or two to cleanse the pores and exfoliate(of course) then rinse off with warm or cold water.

This makes my skin really smooth and clear which makes it really easy for skincare and foundation to glide on. As it has an overly-abrasive texture for the face, I don't use it everyday. Usually twice or thrice a week for me because of my oily skin to smooth out my skin, would do the trick. I prefer sugar over those terrible micro-beads scrubs is because those micro-beads scrubs basically do nothing for my skin.

I do recommend it, but don't use it everyday because it damages the skin's natural texture as well. While it is alright to use sugar on its own, I prefer using a mixing agent such as the clay mask as stated to make it less harsh and have skin-cleansing benefits.

on 7/15/2012 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I wouldn't buy any facial scrub now. I have found two amazing natural, chemical free scrubs right in my own kitchen that I can play around with and that make my skin just amazing! One is plain rice flour - I make a paste with buttermilk/ lemon juice/ cucumber juice or plain water depending on how my skin is feeling - and the other is sugar+lemon juice combo. I use both these as scrubs/face masks and they are wonderful for my skin. They brighten my face and I've found that the sugar actually reduces the drying, acidic effect of the lemon juice. Both of these tighten and brighten my skin along with exfoliating it. Try it and see. I'm certainly not spending any more money on chemical loaded scrubs any more.

I am not sure if I found out about sugar as skin exfoliator here on MUA, but I used sugar as my only and whole body exfoliator for about 6 months before I decided to stop. It worked as a charm in the beginning, for about 5 months, I think. I am pretty sure what I used was regular fine sugar, I usually mix it with my cleanser and wash my face as usual. The sugar I used was probably not fine enough, or maybe I just used it way too often because of how amazing the result was, whatever the reason was, it simply stopped working for me after about 5 months and gave me a pretty bad skin reaction about a month ago. (not my body though, just my face)

I can see how this can work wonders if you use the right kind of sugar with the right frequency and your skin is not overly sensitive, it's so cheap and natural too. When it was working well for me, the only complaint I had was that things can get a bit messy in the shower room. Sadly, after what happened, it's really unlikely I will ever try this again, not even on my body.

Edit: Okay, so I used sugar on my body (again, not my face) yesterday for the first time in about a month, mixed it in with my cleanser, and I have to admit, it's pretty darn amazing, it really does leave your skin silky soft. NOT going to use it on my face though.

There's not much that can be said about the wonderful exfoliating properties of sugar that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to share a little tip with you guys:

Keep the sugar in an empty salt shaker. It looks a tad weird in your bathroom but it makes a brilliant and convenient container. I personally mix my sugar with honey to make a mask, and when I used to keep the sugar in a regular jar I would often make a bit of a mess and get honey in the jar when I went to get some sugar out with my sticky fingers. But not with the salt shaker! Making the mask is a breeze now. I hope this helps someone! :)

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I'll throw in my two cents and give anyone a tip who found regular sugar a bit too abrasive and irritating for the face. Purchase super-fine sugar (found on the top shelf above the regular sugar in a 1 lb. box) and use on your face with your favorite cleanser. It's a little more pricey than regular granulated sugar, but works more effectively, as It's less harsh on the skin and will not cause broken capillaries. On your body go ahead and use regular granulated sugar or brown sugar (your choice), unless you've got extremely sensitive skin, the opt for super-fine sugar.

Sugar is amazing as it's anti-bacterial and exfoliates well. However, be cautious using in the shower in the summertime as if you don't rinse it well down the drain, ore you're messy with it and get it on your floor etc., you'll wind up with ants!! Otherwise, there is no cons of using sugar at all!!

on 6/30/2012 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I thought I could cheap out and use sugar as an all-over exfoliant (including my face).
While I will concede that, on the whole, it left my facial skin ridiculously soft and smooth, I also noticed a few scattered irritation-like bumps crop up afterwards.
So this is an emphatic "No, I won't attempt that again" for my face unfortunately.
Now to the reason why I've rated sugar scrubs so highly.
Sugar, together with a tiny scoop of coconut oil, make the most delectable lip scrub. And the cheapest lip scrub you'll ever find. It's perfect to use if you wear very matte lipsticks or are prone to unsightly flakes on your lips, as a previous reviewer stated.
For the rest of the body (neck down), sugar grains are just right to provide adequate exfoliation. You can feel the grains working, but you know you won't end up with red, irritated skin.
So in conclusion...
I adore sugar scrubs for heavenly exfoliation from the neck down. I needn't even eye a shop-bought scrub. The price is, of course, unbeatable.

on 6/16/2012 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Seriously I don't know why I didn't try this sooner though I was well aware of it. I was looking for a good lip scrub, as I often wear matte (read: drying) lipsticks to work. Flake city! So I looked up the various recipes here in MUA and elsewhere. I made enough for a lip, face and body scrub. It worked wonderfully, plus the Vaseline gave my skin a moisture-locking coat that wasn't too heavy or clogging.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Vaseline
- 1/4 cup white sugar (use brown if you have sensitive skin)
- 2-3 drops olive oil
I mixed these in a bowl with a spoon. I'm seriously so happy I tried it. If you have any qualms, just browse any bath/cosmetics retailer website and take a look at the prices.
WORD OF CAUTION: make sure you scrub the bathtub right afterwards, because this leaves a dangerously slippery residue. Also, because this uses natural products without preservatives, I cannot vouch for the longevity of a bigger batch stored in a jar. Otherwise, enjoy, and try your own! My next batch will include lavender oil!

on 6/16/2012 8:56:00 AM

so i was about to get in the shower, but first i went on MUA (hahah, i know, but we all do it). i saw this and was surprised. plain old sugar? i read the reviews and thought i might as well try it.
i mixed sugar with honey and water (we didn't have EVOO) in a small bowl and brought it into the shower with a spoon because i knew this could get really messy.i used the scrub on my face, neck, chest, arms and legs.
all i can say is i feel amazing! my skin is SO soft and i don't have all these little red irritation bumps that scrubs usually give me (such as LUSH's sandstone soap, stay away from that). i was out in the sun a lot yesterday and my face got pretty red and flaky but now it is even & as i mentioned, feels incredible.
i am so excited to use this more often.

on 6/16/2012 7:56:00 AM

Once again, MUA has helped me find an incredible product! Who would have thought this would work wonders for my oily-breakout-prone, picky skin? I am currently on a regimen that includes Retin-A Micro in the PM and Benzoyl Peroxide in the AM. But, I badly needed a scrub to get rid of flakes and roughness. This is it. Seems to have helped my breakouts and improved the overall texture of my skin. Note that I am not sensitive, but with the other products I'm using I do need to be careful about being too harsh. Some scrubs are too rough, or contain cleansing agents or ingredients I shouldn't use... or they make me break out. With this. I simply add a palmful of sugar to my Cerave foaming wash in the PM and rub it around. Voila! Smooth, soft skin with no irritation. Perfect!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Oh my god SUGAR. Freaking sugar. I was looking for a facial scrub that didn't have grains thick enough to skin a lizard but wasn't fine to the point where I didn't feel them working. The best thing I'd found was a seaweed scrub at The Body Shop for 14 dollars, but I don't always like spending money on a slim bottle of that. I know some see scrubs as pointless but when it comes to my skin they are crucial. If I go less than 1x a week without exfoliating my complexion gets all sallow and uneven looking, so that's a big no mi gusta. I was (wait, am ALWAYS) broke and didn't feel like spending a bunch of money at the time so...well...I tried sugar. Yeah.

And it worked. Amazingly. I mixed 1.5 tablespoons of plain white sugar (a lot of people use brown but my skin had no issues with the grainier white sugar) with 3 tablespoons of honey and applied it to my dry, uncleansed face (I know everything's supposed to be done on a "clean face" but I've always done it this way with exfoliating because I cleanse my face when I'm done. Don't want any chances of a breakout because stuff was left behind or whatever). Gently massaged it into my skin for a good three minutes. Left it on for another twenty seven minutes. Scrubbed in a little bit more. Got in the shower and let the steam melt most it off before rinsing the remainder of it away. Cleansed with Purity. Done.

And my skin. MY SKIN YA'LL. It was glowing like nobody's business. My complexion was smoother, even, lighter (not in the "bleach" way but in the bright way), a few problem blackheads were gone, these two huge stress zits that came out of nowhere were popped, shrunken, nearly gone. I did this yesterday and they're completely gone today. And, ANDDDD...they didn't leave scars. My skin is the most scar prone skin ever. I won't even think about touching a pimple and it'll leave a scar when it goes. Nuh uh. Not with the sugar/honey scrub.

I could cry ya'll. A miracle scrub and it didn't cost anything. Shoot, I even cleaned the bathroom and took out the trash with it on so it made me productive as well! I really, REALLY recommend that people try this before going for expensive scrubs. Honey. And sugar. It works, and that's all you're using so you know you're not loading questionable chemicals onto your flesh 1-2x a week. And I know this is long but I haven't been excited for something like this since a Sephora opened ten minutes away from my house. A true "best value"...because it's free.

...And tasty.