November 26, 2014 | 1744 users online

Body Scrubs - The Body Shop - Africa Spa Body Salt Scrub

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2010 5:57:00 AM More reviews by vic2007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the best body scrub I ever tried, if not the best.And this is coming from a girl who has them all ( almost!), from La prairie, Darphin, Ysl, dior,Juvena,One minute manicure to Givenchy,Clarins,Origins,Bliss labs,Murad,Orlane,Dermalogica, Solessence ( best kept secret-scrub of the stars-this is HG) and a few others...I kid you not, I have these in my bathroom and use them regularly!
The list is endlless,and as a result my bathroom is like my own sephora shop
To be truthful,I've never even tried a body shop product on my own volition, I just don't shop there, and over time, I have received sets of shower gels and body butters from friends that left me unimpressed, and the only body shop product I do own and would actually buy is the jasmin neroli perfume oil ( well, it's been discontinued but I have stocked up 6 bottles, so that should last a lifetime!).
So,you can't imagime my suprise when I tried this scrub. I received it in a kit from a good friend who knows how obsessed I am with soft skin,and the set had this and a matching hand and foot cream and the dreamboat bath milk. The cream and the scrub both come in these big heavy glass jars.
Just looking at them, I dreaded their use! I opened the jars and tried to smell them, but the scent was very faint and "blah", so I thought nothing of it, so put them aside.
Anyway, one in evening, I was bored and decided to try the scrub.
First off, you need time for this one.This isn't one of these srcubs you keep in the shower, splash on and rinse.
The consistency is like hard wax, so it takes a bit of effort to take it out of the jar and apply on your body.it will take you 10 mns to apply this all over.I did it out of my shower , the good news is: it doesn't run and doesn't flake, so you can do it in or out of the shower.I did it out because I had a face mask on and figured why waste the time?
After application, I rubbed all parts for 2 minutes,and then had my shower, and that when the best part happened: the sent was released, and it smells DIVINE, not only that, but once out of the shower the skin is baby soft ( actually a baby will envy you!). You don't even need to apply a moisturizer ( or body oil or whatever) as the skin is soft and moisturized, and the scent lingers on for hours on my skin.
Since then, I found out of course ,this can be ordered online,and have purchased several jars to stock up before they discontinue, and at $28 the jar,it's pretty good and actually quite cheap compared to my La prairie which is 3 times that or even my Juvena which run over $120 for a 200 ml body scrub!
This is an instance where "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply.Actually, you will get more than what you pay for.
Now, I need to go an investigate more body shop products!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 2:23:00 AM More reviews by rediska

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What I liked about this scrub:
-the scent is AMAZING. For some reason, it makes me think of DKNY fragrance (the original).
-it feels luxurious on the skin

What I didn't like about it
-not too much exfoliation going on
-if the packaging is kept in the shower, the metal wiring gets rusty and unattractive
-it's way too EXPENSIVE for such a small amount of product! I can get organic and high-quality salt/sugar body scrubs of the same size for nearly half the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2009 4:21:00 AM More reviews by BeautyMuse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this scrub. It's best to use it right before you get in the shower to get the maximum exfoliation effect because it dissolves quickly. It has a lovely, delicate scent. My skin always feels great after I use this, I like to moisturize with the Vitamin E Body Butter from the Body Shop right after my shower, and the combo of those two is awesome.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2009 7:20:00 AM More reviews by elfelettem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I LOVE this stuff. I always tend to be given body scrubs and I never really use them. I've had very high end (Molten Brown, and no-name budget versions). I LOVE this. I use it when I want to pamper myself. I'd use it more often but I find it extremely expensive (although it does last a while given that it works well and you don't have to use too much at a time).

I usually prefer chemical exfoliants to physical ones, but this isn't too harsh on my skin. the salt particles work well as a scrub and then just melt away and the shea butter moisturises perfectly. I love the scent as well. I use in conjunction with L'Oreal Exfotonic (which is cheaper and has an AHA) and between the two I no longer get the occasional bumps I used to on my arms.

TBS has just reformulated this scrub (its now listed as having Ximenia as an ingredient), and I haven't tried the new version, I'll edit when I have.

I don't like the packaging. I tend to use this in the shower and having a flip top lid means that if I'm not careful water can get in the contents and the metal of the lid goes rusty.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by katushka37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Overall I really like this product.
It is a balmy type of scrub. Its quite gentle and moisturising.
Love the fragarance too! I feel really pampered after using it.

For better exfoliationg effect I would turn the shower off (I apply my hair treatment as well so it has plenty of time to work) pat my skin with towel a but to absorb excess misture (but it don't want it to be dry) and apply this scrub in circular motion. Voila! My skin is soft and glowing!

I took one lippy off because this scrub is not very exfoliating (compared to my all time favorite L'Oreal), it costs $49.95 AUD in TBS store (I got it off internet for $20 which I think is more realistic price for it). And the jar can be a bit hard to use because the metal rusts easily, I have to store it away from moist places.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/30/2009 8:16:00 AM More reviews by distillafan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

seems to me like the body shop either is a hit or a miss with their products...yes this scrub has a beautiful fragrance, yes its thick and creamy, but it just didn't do wonders for my skin, like it has been said to. i went into the body shop, with intentions of only to look at a few products, including the spa wisdom line, but after the SA praised this product, i was sold....a few problems...the jar, its annoying, but if the product inside was any better, i wouldn't care about this aspect.....however, it isnt. the exfolitation in this product is barely there, it just seems more or less like honey/shea butter, which sounds great, especially for all year dry skin. the only problem is that you're washing it off, so how are the moisturizing benefits going to work? salt is known to still dry your skin out incredibly, so youre still going to need a moisturizer after this! this scrub is basically a thick cream, with little bits of salt in it..it doesn't moisturize, most of the product just ends down the drain...lastly,.it doesn't moisturize because its not being rubbed into your skin, its just suppose to exfoliate, which it doesn't even do!, for the price, this product isn't worth it. ill stick to to a gritty scrub to get a proper scrub and then just moisturize after...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2009 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Maganda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this scrub......the scent is very subtle.....I used this 3X a week and it makes my skin very smooth. Highly recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2009 6:00:00 AM More reviews by impeccable02

This is a lovely mild scented scrub. The texture is creamy and moisturizing. Its most outstanding feature is its amazing fragrance: comforting, warm and very feminine.
Actually, this feels and smells more like a product from a very luxe high-end brand than from The Body Shop. I have repurchased and will again, simply because of the unique scent. In terms of exfoliation, it's quite gentle (compared to for example, REN's Guerande Salt scrub, which is much stronger). Gentle enough for everyday use.
I do like the old-fashion tub packaging. However, as with most tubs (as opposed to tubes) water gets in easily if one opens it while the shower is running. Moreover, the metal wire that forms the opening and closing mechanism also gets rusty quite easily which doesn't look very nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2009 6:06:00 AM More reviews by missjanesmith

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My HG scrub!

It has a nice subtle scent so that when you moisturise afterwards your body lotion smell isn't tainted with another scent. I felt it smoothed on my skin nicely and exfoliated it really well. It goes nicely with the other products in the range. It's very thick, so you just need a little bit to start rubbing into your skin, then it softens and starts it's magic.

I have to agree with the other reviews that the packaging isn't great in the bath / shower and that the opening hinge can hurt sometimes, however I've just recycled an old TBS shea scrub jar with a screw-lid to use instead for the shower. It's fine when using it in the bath though - just open it before getting in and close it when your hands are dry.

I love this - I have already re-purchased twice now and have a backup. I really like the new packaging labels in the brown colours, it makes it look very posh!

I've been trying a few for a while to find my HG - from high end to cheap: from Soap and Glory, Clinique, Elle MacPherson and Ted Baker but this is still my favourite so far. This is the best scrub I've tried that feels like it's washed off properly.

The other scrubs made me feels like a greasy film was still on. Not this one! It dissolves so well and I actually feel clean after using it. It washes off really well. I'm sticking with this one from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2009 7:10:00 AM More reviews by ainsleelao

I was given a huge jar of this stuff as a Christmas present and I must say that it rocks!
Leaves skin super smooth and soft, doesn't sting my sensitive skin, and smells great too. I use it whenever my skin gets really dry, or whenever I feel like treating myself with something luxurious. You get quite a lot of product in the jar, and if you limit using it once every few days, it should last you a long, long time. Best thing about it is that it doesn't leave a thin film of oil like other body scrubs - your skin just feels naturally silky.