Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 2/16/2015 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I only use coconut oil for oil pulling and oil facial cleansing straight from the jar without mixing with other oils, feels great and works well. I would also massage coconut oil on my body topically after shower, it does keep the skin very silky soft all day long.

It might be also great to work as a facial moisturizer for non acne-prone skin, its very light-weighted and contains some UV protection, but for myself, I have better alternatives, my all time HGs: Decleor Aromessence line (oil serum + balm), 100% natural, and Dr. Hauschka's Rose Day Cream, these seem to give me better protection because they contain bee wax and other ingredients.

People, do note that coconut oils aren't all created equal, some are extracted from dry, old coconut meat transported from the plantations to factory, some are extracted from freshly harvested right at the plantations, it may affect the result. Learn about different types and read the labels carefully before your purchase. For more information, please check: http://coconut-oil-tips.com/facts/what-is-best-coconut-oil-brand-to-buy/

on 2/12/2015 9:52:00 PM

Love this product!!! But it's a bit of a hassle scooping/pouring out the oil... I use it for oil pulling, as a face moisturiser and body oil. I take a spoonful in the morning when I find my skin dehydrated.. a wonderful oil with many benefits. And yes.. the smell is heavenly. Try it.. I believe your skin and body will thank you if you aren't sensitive to coconut oil.

on 2/6/2015 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Oh how I love my coconut oil. And here are some awesome things to use if for, if you don't already:
- Make-up remover.
- Shaving oil.
- Eye cream/eyelash/eyebrow conditioner (apply with a very light hand!)
- Deep conditioning hair mask (apply to towel dried hair, wrap, and leave on for up to a couple of hours. Rinse well).
- Add a tablespoon to your bath water for soft, moisturized skin.
- Apply to cracked elbows and heels.
- Tames flyway hairs.
- Add some course salt or sugar and you have yourself a very effective face/body scrub!
- Mix with a teaspoon of honey, heat until it is warm (not scalding) and you have a moisturizing face mask!

on 2/6/2015 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Looove this stuff. I use waterproof mascara which is a pain in the ass to remove. Ive tried all the makeup removers out there, and nothing got the job done without pulling, tugging and losing eyelashes. Then i deciced to try this.. Holy moly. Removed EVERYTHING, so gently and easy! I rub it between my hands, then rub it all over my face and eyes, then use a makeup wipe to get everything off. And so affordable too!

on 1/27/2015 11:05:00 AM

I will forever and always love extra virgin coconut oil. It is such a versatile product. Not only is it healthy internally, but also has many benefits externally. I mainly use this for my hair and skin. I put this on my hair twice a week before bed and then put my hair up in a bun and sleep with it overnight. In the morning I use my regular shampoo to wash it out and also use my conditioner, even though I could probably skip conditioner on the days I use this, but I still use it anyway (slightly conditioner obsessed). This keeps my hair in excellent condition. It is one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft to nourish it completely.

I also use this to remove my eye makeup at night. The eye area is very delicate, so I find it important to use natural moisturizing products and not anything chemical based. After I remove the eye makeup I put a little extra around my eye area and keep it on overnight just to nourish that area and keep it youthful. I also put a little on my neck, lips, legs and hips before bed. This helps to keep my skin super healthy and moisturized. I love how it is all natural, nourishing, anti-aging and extremely affordable because this stuff lasts forever! For my facial skin, I recently purchased Rosehip Oil because coconut oil on my face was too thick and seemed to clog pores. I will write a review on the Rosehip Oil once I've used it for a while. However, for practically everything else coconut oil is my go-to!

on 1/22/2015 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been working on the same tub of raw organic coconut oil for at least three years now. I have cooked with it, used it as a facial moisturizer (really bad idea - I broke out horribly and had horrendously clogged pores), a body moisturizer (also bad idea because it never really soaked in completely - left oil stains on my clothes & any other fabric my skin touched), and as a hair treatment. For the past two years I have only been using it as a pre-shampoo treatment & as a heat protectant when I flat iron my hair. I use half a table spoon from my scalp to my ends and leave it in my hair overnight. It protects my hair from the stress/damage of the washing/blow drying/flat ironing that I do the following day. After I wash & blow dry my hair I use another half table spoon from scalp to ends. I then blow dry my hair for another 30 seconds to make sure the oil is evenly distributed through my hair, finally I flat iron my hair. My hair is longer, stronger, shiny, and always fresh. I don't have breakage anymore and maybe once in a blue moon do I see a split end.

on 1/22/2015 6:45:00 AM

I`ve been using this as a moisturizer for my body after baths/showers and I absolutely love the way it works. It`s a little hard scooping it out of the jar, but it melts at body temperature really well and sinks quickly into the skin with a nice massage. The only thing I am not crazy about is that I end up smelling like a dessert, but hey, to get good skin without using bizarre chemicals, it`s totally worth it. Will try using it as a hair mask, as some of the users on here have done.

Update (3/3/2015): I have been using this for a few months now and I am really happy with the results. It sinks well into my skin after baths, and it moisturizes and conditions really well. I actually wake up in the morning and check my lower legs and they feel much softer and smoother. I also get less ingrown hairs since I`ve started using this.

on 1/22/2015 6:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I use 1 1/2 tspns of this in my hair before shampooing. No its not alot but i dont want to be a grease ball or struggle to wash it out. I warm up the oil in a separate boil of warm water and then massage into my scalp and ends. I comb it through to make sure it gets evenly distributed and either sleep with it overnight or put my hair up in a messy bun or french braid during the day. I find that I get the best results if I leave it in for most of the day. After that I just shampoo my hair once with a sulphate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner. I do this twice a week. I've noticed that my 2c/3a curls are more defined since I started using coconut oil. Also i can't be sure if this is a fluke or not, but my hair is falling out less in the shower when I shampoo. I'm talking about half the quantity of hair.I would love to hear from other reviewers to find out if they're experiencing the same thing.
Update 03 March 2015: I should also mention that I suffer from oily seborrheic dermatitis. Coconut oil really helps to calm down the itchinga nd flaking. Its strange because other oils usually make my scalp itch and flake like crazy. Must be its anti-bacterial properties. No wonder some people claim it helps with dandruff control.

on 1/8/2015 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Looking for a natural facial cleanser and moisturizer, I started washing my face with honey and moisturizing with coconut oil. My face it typically dry, and not particularly sensitive or acne-prone. For the first few months, the combo was great. Then, just before my brother's wedding, I broke out in a rash and whiteheads. I immediately stopped using the coconut oil and honey, but I continue to get whiteheads any time I use a moisturizer (3 months later). I am convinced it was the coconut oil that ruined my skin. It is amazing how having bad skin can ruin your self-esteem. I would do anything to back in time and never have use coconut oil for my face. Beware!

on 1/2/2015 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My holy grail facial moisturizer, deep hair treatment, chapped lipbalm, and cuticle treatment. I go through entire bottles of coconut oil because it is dirt cheap, has no additives, and literally changed my face and hair.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products