April 18, 2014 | 1970 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 7:38:00 PM More reviews by intheflatfield

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this stuff. I have a lot of fine wavy hair that's prone to frizz, and coconut oil makes it look and feel just wonderful. Once every two to three weeks I apply a hefty handful of this all over my dry hair (I've never tried it on wet hair) and let it soak in for an hour or two. Then I shampoo and condition like normal and my hair turns out very soft and shiny. Even though my hair is fine, I don't find that it weighs it down or leaves it greasy. It may not agree with every hair type or texture, but for me it's great stuff that I highly recommend everyone at least give a try. And there's the bonus of being able to just rub any excess into your hands rather than needing to wash them after application - leaves the cuticles nice and soft!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Last summer I came down with the worst case of flea and mosquito-induced dermatitis on my lower legs I have ever had. Nothing seemed to cure the itch and by the time I hauled my butt to my doctor and got a prescription oral antihistamine, I'd dug huge craters into my legs and feet. Add to that the inevitable dryness of using topical antihistamines and I was a mess. I thought I'd never get rid of the dryness or get the scars to clear up.

Then I started reading reviews about coconut oil and thought I'd give it a try. If it didn't work, I wouldn't be out a ton of money and I could always give the jar to one of my co-workers. I made sure that the coconut oil I bought was cold-expressed without hexanes and the other nasty stuff that's in other coconut oils---I didn't need something else to break me out!

I am SO glad I took the plunge! Not only did the dryness clear up in a week, I've noticed that the scars on my legs and feet are fading, especially one large place on my foot that was the size of a silver dollar at its worst. The KP on my upper arms has faded and I think my tattoos are looking better than ever. This stuff also works like a charm for the nasty peeling mess I get under my nose when my allergies are out of control and am blowing my nose every second.

Right now I just scoop out what I need from the jar and warm the solid oil in my palms, but I've also placed the jar close to the heater vent in my bathroom to melt it down so I don't have to mess with the solid oil. The smell was a bit of a turn off when I first began using the oil, but I think that's due to comparing the natural product with, say, coconut scented perfumes. Not enough of a turn off to take any lippies off!

If you're looking for a nice, natural conditioning oil and aren't allergic to tree nuts, this is it. I haven't used it for anything else other than moisturizing, but I think when I run out of the conditioner I'm using to shave with I might just try using this as a shaving oil. Good stuff and not all that expensive!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by michelleva

This stuff rocks! I tried using it on my face with baking soda as a exfoliators and it worked the first time, the second time I got a pimple because it made my skin too oily..But, it's still good to use once and a while. I now use it under my eyes for moisture and I love it! I think everyone should have some.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2014 11:32:00 AM More reviews by sarahmorgan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Guys, PLEASE be careful using coconut oil if you're a first time user. After reading so many wonderful reviews, I started using EVCO as an all over body moisturizer. For the first week, it was great: my skin felt very moisturized and soft. However, I soon noticed red bumps were forming all over my body. I immediately stopped using the oil, but the bumps continued to form where I had used the oil. I am still trying to recover from this massive skin reaction, which is taking a long time to heal. Lesson learned: ALWAYS test patch before using a new product!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 2:38:00 PM More reviews by andrea0611

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased a jar of this for about $5-6 a few weeks ago. So far I have been using it daily. I use it to remove makeup, I mix it in my Cetaphil moisturizer (about the size of a small pea) for my face. I also use a tiny bit and oil up (lol) my son (1 year old) during his bath.
It smells heavenly!
The container was a great big size, but, like almost all CO, it is in a glass container with a screw off top. In order to keep it hygienic I make sure to use something to dip into it with, I do not use my fingers.
Very happy I found this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:05:00 PM More reviews by rujteara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love coconut oil. I drink it in my hot tea or coffee 3-4 times a day...start with 1 a day for a week and work your way up. When I start slacking on my consumption of this I turn into a crying hormonal mess...it does wonders for your health..just google it!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by ncashen

Wonderful. I used this on my feet. I melt a teaspoon into my bath with epsom salts or drops of diluted lavender essential oil. I use it as a hot oil treatment for scalp and hair. I also use it as an intense moisturizer for my face and hands.

I tolerate the scent, because it is so wonderful and hydrating. I use cold pressed virgin olive oil for the exact same things. I love them both.

Even at cooler room temperatures this oil will solidify. I use a long metal spoon to get it out of the jar. It melts very easily.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by vaigai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm South Indian so this is our traditional cure-all. Hair, skin, food etc. That being said, I was super wary to put oil in my hair since my mom forced me to when I was a kid and I got made fun of at school!! Anyway, yep - putting coconut oil in my hair as a pre-wash treatment and then a few drops post-wash makes it super soft and less split ends! I mix some with rosemary oil and keep it by my bed. Slather on your feet at night and throw on some socks - your feet will be AMAZING in 4 weeks. I don't use it on my face because I'm super break out prone and I don't want to ruin my current good-skin streak.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Agostino

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I brought a jar of coconut oil after reading all the amazing reviews, thought I would try it as a hair treatment. Well I have to say that after using it 3 or so times it did absoultely nothing for my hair but make it extremely dry. My hairdresser even commented how dry my hair was I mentioned the coconut oil and she said that it is not advisable as it sticks to the hair shaft making it difficult to wash out and definately dries it out. So needless to say I would never buy this product again unless I was cooking a recepie that required it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! I buy the virgin kind, because I love the coconut scent. I use one jar for cooking, and another in the bathroom for my skin. I've been using it for at least five years now! My hair doesn't seem to like it, it made the ends kind of dry and tangled, but I use it all over my body in the winter as a moisturizer. It takes some time to sink in, but leaves me really soft. My favorite use is on my face after washing at night. I apply a bit under my eyes and on my forehead, anywhere tiny lines are creeping up. I don't know how, but it works better than anything for fine lines. In the morning they look plumped and almost gone! I have very sensitive skin and have never had a reaction. Try it, you'll like it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No