October 26, 2014 | 1244 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

Coconut oil is a product that you will either love or hate. I love it, it works great as a weekly deep conditioner for my hair. I have silver hair, so I melt it and mix this oil with my purple shampoo and leave it on for a few hours to help tone my hair. I also use it to remove my eye makeup. I don't use it on my face, because my skin just doesn't like anything oily on it..and that include jojoba oil, so it's not just this. I also use this to cook, but it does have a distinctive taste, so you if you don't like the taste of coconut, then you won't like the taste of this. I tried oil pulling with it, and that just was too much for me, made me gag lol I would absolutely buy it again, but it will be a little while...a little goes a longggg way.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2014 1:56:00 AM More reviews by ChaCaCheeze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

Just a tip - buy the smallest tub you can find until you are sure that coconut oil will work for you. I have had 0 luck with this stuff and now have a massive tub left that I'm trying to find some use for. This is what I've tried:
Coconut oil as shaving cream: I got a close shave, but was left with severe razor burn that felt like a bad sunburn. The next day, I had rashy scabs on my legs!
Coconut oil as cuticle cream: Left my cuticles looking more dry and ragged than before I applied it.
Coconut oil as hair conditioner: Left my hair looking more frizzy and rough than before I applied it, also smelled disgusting (like musty, half-rancid coconut candy). I have very thick, coarse hair that normally soaks up oil treatments, but this was just a total failure.
Coconut oil in cookies: Tasted way to coconut-y and overpowered the flavor of the cookies.
Coconut oil on my hands: Just didn't do anything.
I have no idea what to do with the rest of this giant tub of coconut oil. I know there are many more popular uses that I haven't tried yet, but I'm not willing to 'risk it' trying something that could do more harm than good (e.g., DIY sunscreen; combined with baking soda for DIY toothpaste; or as a face moisturizer). I don't need to risk scrubbing away my tooth enamel or causing my face to break out for the sake of the coconut oil trend...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 12:47:00 AM More reviews by ChelseaRose

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just wanted to write a quick review on coconut oil, because the results I've seen in the past couple months are amazing. I use coconut oil on my skin as an acne and Keratosis Pilaris treatment. I use it in my hair before showers as a mask. And I also use it on my eyes as a moisturizer. For my back and chest acne, this has given more results than any other acne treatment I've used. I've tried salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, body washes, body wipes, creams and gels, etc. and nothing works as good as this does. It doesn't clear up my acne completely, but with repeated use, it definitely calms and soothes my acne, and lessens the severity of it. After shaving, I'll smooth a little bit of coconut oil on sensitive areas such as my underams and bikini line, and the red bumps, itching and irritations are non-existant. I have absolutely no problems with shaving anymore, because this stuff completely erases the irritation. I've also seen visible results on my arms from using this on my KP. Again, it's not completely gone, but it's definitely nowhere near as severe as it was before I started using coconut oil. My skin is combination, so I can be really oily or really dry, or both, on any given day. That being said, it's just a great moisturizer in general, so I definitely recommend giving it a dry if you're in need! I know it's fantastic as a supplement and in cooking too, so that's a bonus!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by ironicsymphonic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a food, I'd give this five stars. I love cooking nearly everything with it and it's super healthy to ingest. (Since eating more healthy, natural saturated fats, I've also stopped getting sunburns, which was unexpected but cool. Google it/check it out. It's a thing.)

But as a beauty product...no. I tried. i really, really wanted to like it. It made my hair matted and tangled and dry. It made my skin (which is super sensitive and easily upset by changes in routine) peel and flake and break out. It didn't do jack for the cracked winter skin on my knuckles or elbows, and it even seemed drying on my lips as a lip balm. I'll stick to eating it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaS6

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wonderful for KP!

I developed KP after being on Accutane...like acne wasn't bad enough. After showering, I would rub very small amount on the back of my arms and above my knees. Worked great and pretty quick.

Great all around moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by linet182

As most of you have mentioned this product can be used for a multitude of things, I personally like using it as a moisturizer. I tend to have dry skin and this stuff works miracles. Beyond that, it's super healthy for your skin and actually has helped a little with my acne too.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by becca352

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this everyday as eye makeup remover. It takes all of it off very easily, even my waterproof mascara. That is the only place on my face I can use it. I tried using it as a facial moisturizer and it was disastrous. It caused major acne I hadn't experienced in years. I also use this as a body moisturizer. However, it cannot get anywhere near my chest, or it causes breakouts. I have used it sparingly on the ends of my hair. It worked well, but caused back breakouts as well. I mainly use it on my arms and legs. It is the only body moisturizer I own and it works great for that. Be very careful of this stuff if you are prone to breakouts. I apply it to my closed eyes, rub it in, and use cotton rounds to wipe it off. This method doesn't seem to cause me acne issues if I am careful about not getting it anywhere else on my face. I have used the Kroger brand called Simple Truth and the HEB Central Market brand (for those of you in Texas). I find them in the aisle with all of the cooking oils. It seems expensive but it lasts forever (my first jar lasted a year). It also works great at removing labels off of jars and getting dried hot glue and tape residue off of hard surfaces. It's a great multi purpose product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by mkinthecity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's so versatile and smells amazing! My favorite brand is from Trader Joe's. It's super cheap and all natural! I use it as a moisturizer on my face and all over my body as well. Sometimes I use it for oil cleansing when I'm not using my cleansing cream. I haven't broke out from using this, instead I have a new glow:) It feels so soothing and cool on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by kwb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So I know alot of people use this for different things - I use it on my face. Started off as a moisturizer, than it evolved into a fash wash, when I started trying the OCM - oil cleaning method. This stuff is FANTASTIC. Holy moly. First thing to consider however, is if you plan on using this on your skin, to test patches for a while as a) many people are allergic to nut oils and b) this stuff is rated quite high on the comedogenic scale. I was very lucky, I used to have extremely acne prone skin (oily, dry, cystic acne for years), but I think I'm past that? *knock on wood*, because I slathered this on my face for months, and just recently found out it's considered pore-clogging for a lot of people. Weird. So approach with caution! But, if you can make this work for you, holy crap it's fantastic. I first started using it as a face moisturizer, trying to get away from all the stinky, goopy, chemical-laden night creams out there (I should let you know, my skin has been very dry that last 5 or so years, due to my year on Accutane, and my upkeep with Vit A). I would say 4/5 for moisturizing, works well, but it's not like miracle worthy? I don't notice glowing skin or anything, but it does the job. It also wipes off a little too easily before it gets a chance to sink in, so I wouldn't recommend it for the body...but my hubby uses this on his hands (which get dry to the point where they bleed and crack, due to him working with his hands all day and having excema and constantly washing them), then puts plastic gloves over overnight, and it works great for him in that sense. So, as a moisturizer, it's good, I sometimes need to supplement with another moisturizer, but not always.
As a facewash however? OH MY GOD, it's amazing. Even though I got over the fear of moisturizing and putting certain oils on my face a looong time ago (back in my teenage years when oil was the devil, and I punished my skin with BP, Proactiv, all that awful crap that turns your face into a desert), I was very wary about this and did a ton of research. I already knew it shouldn't break me out, since I'd been using it as a moisturizer for months, but due to my dry skin, I was so used to exfoliating on almost a daily basis. There's nothing I love more than scrubbing my makeup off my skin at the end of the day, and slathering on the moisturizer, you just feel CLEAN. I was worried my skin would feel slimy, and like I hadn't gotten all the crap out, but I'd also been using the CO as a makeup remover, so I thought what the hell, and dove head first, using this method day and night. First thing I noticed, is my skin felt clean, but not red or tight like after washing and exfoliating with a cleanser. I also needed less moisturizer. Woke up the next day - no pimples. It was a good start. It's now been almost a month, and I honestly don't think I'll ever ever go back so scrubbing the hell out of my skin, I've finally gotten over needing that squeaky, stripped clean feeling. My skin is way more balanced oil wise, it's less dry in the dry parts, and less oily in the oily parts, and it looks fresh. It glows, it looks brighter. I can't comment onto the acne-fighting properties as I rarely deal with acne, but the redness around my nose and scars has been significantly reduced. I still deal with blackheads however, so I still use a clarifying mask and a quick nose scrub on the weekends, but overall, I am so happy I made the switch.

Couple of tips: patch test! You could be allergic, and it could make you break out (particularly oily and acne prone people). You can use this method with other oils though, so do your research and experiment. Give it time! Some people reported an inital purging period for their skin. I did not have this, but it could happen. Again, do your research. Lastly, make sure the CO or any oil you use (I would assume the same of others), is organic, and I remember reading somewhere that cold-pressed may be worse for your skin than non cold-pressed? I'd double check.

But it's super cheap, super effective, and despite that it comes in the most awkward jar ever (but I can't blame them, most people eat the stuff), I'm hooked.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 4:21:00 PM More reviews by leemitchell

I use this on my hair only, and it works great! I usually spray my hair with a water bottle and then take a handful to rub it through. Then, I tie up in a bun and either go to the gym, run errands, or clean my house. Sometimes I'll sleep with it in my hair. When I wash my hair, it keeps the shampoo from being too harsh and drying. My hair is too frizzy when it's too clean.

The results are great!

I wouldn't use this for my face. I'm way too afraid that it would cause major break outs! I think that its other uses are not good enough to compete with 'actual' products. Make up remover is not expensive, and it will probably work better than coconut oil. Lotion is not going to be as greasy, and it will moisturize as well if not better than coconut oil.

For hair that's dry and curly, coconut oil is great! For other uses... eh...