Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 1/22/2015 6:45:00 AM

I`ve been using this as a moisturizer for my body after baths/showers and I absolutely love the way it works. It`s a little hard scooping it out of the jar, but it melts at body temperature really well and sinks quickly into the skin with a nice massage. The only thing I am not crazy about is that I end up smelling like a dessert, but hey, to get good skin without using bizarre chemicals, it`s totally worth it. Will try using it as a hair mask, as some of the users on here have done.

Update (3/3/2015): I have been using this for a few months now and I am really happy with the results. It sinks well into my skin after baths, and it moisturizes and conditions really well. I actually wake up in the morning and check my lower legs and they feel much softer and smoother. I also get less ingrown hairs since I`ve started using this.

on 1/22/2015 6:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I use 1 1/2 tspns of this in my hair before shampooing. No its not alot but i dont want to be a grease ball or struggle to wash it out. I warm up the oil in a separate boil of warm water and then massage into my scalp and ends. I comb it through to make sure it gets evenly distributed and either sleep with it overnight or put my hair up in a messy bun or french braid during the day. I find that I get the best results if I leave it in for most of the day. After that I just shampoo my hair once with a sulphate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner. I do this twice a week. I've noticed that my 2c/3a curls are more defined since I started using coconut oil. Also i can't be sure if this is a fluke or not, but my hair is falling out less in the shower when I shampoo. I'm talking about half the quantity of hair.I would love to hear from other reviewers to find out if they're experiencing the same thing.
Update 03 March 2015: I should also mention that I suffer from oily seborrheic dermatitis. Coconut oil really helps to calm down the itchinga nd flaking. Its strange because other oils usually make my scalp itch and flake like crazy. Must be its anti-bacterial properties. No wonder some people claim it helps with dandruff control.

on 1/8/2015 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Looking for a natural facial cleanser and moisturizer, I started washing my face with honey and moisturizing with coconut oil. My face it typically dry, and not particularly sensitive or acne-prone. For the first few months, the combo was great. Then, just before my brother's wedding, I broke out in a rash and whiteheads. I immediately stopped using the coconut oil and honey, but I continue to get whiteheads any time I use a moisturizer (3 months later). I am convinced it was the coconut oil that ruined my skin. It is amazing how having bad skin can ruin your self-esteem. I would do anything to back in time and never have use coconut oil for my face. Beware!

on 1/2/2015 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My holy grail facial moisturizer, deep hair treatment, chapped lipbalm, and cuticle treatment. I go through entire bottles of coconut oil because it is dirt cheap, has no additives, and literally changed my face and hair.

I use this after cleansing. Its a great moisturiser and leaves my skin soft in the morning. It has helped keep my skin in good condition.

on 12/31/2014 7:37:00 PM

BEYOND AMAZING!! I can't get enough of coconut oil. The amount of uses it has is insane. Living in Colorado it's so drying; I need constant moisture. I could not imagine my life without it! I use it to make all natural products, as a lip moisturizer, on my split ends in my hair, as lotion after a bath, on my face where I get dry patches & SOOO much more. My fiancé's a chef, he cooks with it!! Coconut oil is the bees knees you need it in your life now... Go!

on 11/13/2014 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love coconut oil! I buy cosmetic grade coconut oil, I use it in my homemade cold press soaps and homemade lotion. Perhaps you need to use cosmetic grade on your skin, no cooking grade, this i why so many people got reaction. Also, I make sure is cold press virgin coconut oil, not solvent extraction, which is full of not so good stuff.
I use this on my body, mixed with shea, cocoa, almond, olive and/or argan oil, then I add my own essential oils depending my needs. Most of the time its lavender, geranium, grapefruit, sometimes rosemary, I just change it up each time.

This stuff is amazing! I haven't used store bough lotion in over 10 years, I just make my own. I used to have really bad dry skin and psoriasis, and now its all gone. Store bough lotion is full of crap, even highend stuff, the main ingredients are always just water, mineral oil and silicons, and the actual good oils are listed last.

PS: I don't use it on my face, only on my body, for my face I use jojoba oil.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I just don't get it. This oil is supposed to be one of the most comedogenic and worst for acne, but somehow, MIRACULOUSLY, this stuff is great on my skin. I have had TERRIBLE acne in the past and my skin is definitely acneprone, but I have been using coconut oil for over a year and it always leaves my skin soft and helps my breakouts. This "strange" occurence almost leads me to believe that people are just using too much oil on their face. I can definitely see this causing breakouts when you use too much.

All I do is take a MINISCULE amount, probably less than 1/8 of a teaspoon, rub it into my fingertips/palms, and pat it onto my face fresh out of the shower (after I've sprayed apple cider vinegar as a toner).

Sometimes I like to try new facial moisturizers but I always end up coming back to coconut oil and it never fails me. Not only do I use this on my face, but it makes for a great body oil fresh out of the shower, and I use it in baking, stir frys, etc. Just a great versatile product.

on 11/13/2014 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I too was a victim of this very very dangerous skin care product that hides behind many articles and reviews that rave about how natural and good this is for your Skin.

Be very very aware because this can be the end of your skin. And I mean it. I will tell you my story and you'll decide if you give this a go or not. Also understand that everyone reacts different to things. But with this you should be specially careful because it can either give you perfect skin or a skin full of cystic acne that will leave you with scars, many many scars. Or it can give you both. Perfect skin for a couple of months follow by a face full of cysts.

So after changing my diet I decided to change skin care products. Sure enough coconut super hype oil was at the front of all the other natural products. Even though I read the bad reviews, and even though I knew the comedogenic scale of this oil is 4 out of 5, I decided to ignore this vital facts and give it a go. I really thought I was a special snowflake and that somehow the laws of physics didn't apply to me. Well what a mistake that was cuz 3 months after using ORGANIC extra virgin coconut oil, hell broke lose. At least 3 new cyst every day for at least 3 weeks with no breaks. It's been 7 months and I still haven't got better. My skin has been violated multiple times and then some by coconut oil. My pores are so sore from the penetration of hard cysts.

It wouldn't had been so bad if it wasn't by the fact that coconut oil made my skin GORGEOUS for 3 MONTHS! And I'm not the only one that experience this type of effect. Which is like marrying a super model just to find out 3 months later that she looks like fiona from Sherk after she takes her makeup off. False advertisement right there.

For the purpose of objectivity I will say that coconut oil help me massively with the blackheads I have in my nose. I'll say my blackheads got reduce by 70 percent. But any oil will do that if you massage it on your nose. So thank you coconut for showing me the way to clear my blackheads. Also it's supposed to be really healthy orally. And I use it for all my cooking.

In the end the choice is yours. You can either try it and regret it, try it and love it, or not try it and regret not knowing what if. But one thing is for sure, if you do try it, hold on tight, because you are about to experience the mother of all emotional roller-coaster.

on 11/13/2014 12:44:00 PM

I've only ever used cocount oil as a hair treatment so my review is solely based on that.

I mean...it's O....K, I was expecting better results after after reading all the reviews.

I heated about a table spoons worth and heated it up by putting the glass that contained it in a bowl of hot water for a minute or so. I also added a few drops of rosemary oil. I then slathered it on my hair (dry) and took a few minutes to really massage in into my scalp and frazzled ends. Seriously, my ends are begging to be put out of their misery but may hair hasn't reached a desired length where I would feel comfortable going to salon to get them chopped. Anyway, I slept with the oil on my head as I really needed a DEEP treatment. Got up in the morning, washed as usual - although I used a build up shampoo and I wasn't majorly impressed. My hair was still dry and didn't feel nourished. If anything it felt quite greasy. Greasy without being nourished if you know what I mean.

So... feeling pretty frustrated, I got to reading more reviews and came across the ones for sweet almond oil. Oh. My..... Sooo good. I slathered a load on my hair - it was pretty much the same process as the coconut oil but only this time I didn't warm it up. Straight out the bottle and onto my hair, went to sleep as usual. Washed my hair in the monring - only this time I used some ordinary shampoo rather detox shampoo and my hair felt brand new. No greasiness/residue. It felt light and nourished. I was so in love I even went one step further and rubbed a drop through my damp hair before blow drying. Again, no greasiness, just nourishment. And then - overkill, but that's me! - I rubbed another drop through my hair once it was dry and straightened. Still - NO GREASINESS!"

My hair just drinks it up and shines like i've had a professional treatment at a salon. It's remarkable. I've never come across an oil that doesn't make hair greasy. I'm guessing because my hair drinks this up it avoids the greasy look.

You can't go wrong with this. I've even spent £12 odd for Argan before and it had nowhere near the same effect, I paid £4 off for the almond oil.

I'm in love.