September 17, 2014 | 2030 users online

Hair Color - Herbaceuticals Inc. - Naturcolor - all shades

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2010 8:50:00 PM More reviews by lumin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been colouring/hi-lighting my hair for years, often in salon, but for last couple of years I have been doing it myself and I have tried several of the drug store brands...recently using Excellence To-Go and Herbashine ...

I discovered that Excellence To-Go has 30 volume peroxide and Herbashine has 25 volume... and when I explored some of the other ingredients in them and some of the other so called gentler lines and semi/demi permanents, I found they were all laden with toxic chemicals - even the ones labelled no-ammonia and semi-permanent ...

So today I used Naturcolor - half 7N / half 8C...

wasn't sure I would get the lift or coverage I wanted, with only 10 volume (3%) developer, as my natural hair at the roots is light-medium brown and about 25% very resistant grey, and my hair is naturally curly//wavy, dry and porous.

The rest of my hair is dyed light caramel brown with some honey hi-lights and some brown lo-lights ...

I left it on my roots for at least 35 mins before running it through the rest of my hair for an additional 10 mins...

Results are better than I expected....the colour is lovely, the grey is covered although lighter than the rest but that is the case with whatever I have used ...

I love that you can mix up as much as you like as this will make doing touch ups super easy ...

I will experiment with the colour a bit by going a wee bit deeper perhaps using 7N and 7C

It is now a lovely multidimensional light brown shade with lots of hi-lights...not flat heavy colour at all and it is super shiny... I imagine this could also be used as a toner or refresher if used over hi-lights if you use one of the lighter shades

Hope it doesn't fade but I am sure I will have to do it again in about 3.5 weeks when my roots start to grow...

Oh and it has a very pleasant scent...no fumes...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by luigi20

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Before you give up on this product because of lack of grey coverage, read this review. I used to get my hair colored at an Aveda salon. Becuase I have long hair, I was spending 3+ hours at the salon - Aveda has great hair color, but 3 hours at a salon is inconvenient for me. I am over 50% grey, and keeping it colored is a must for me. I conpared Tints of Nature to Naturcolor (4N for both.) I was disappointed with both because of the lack of grey coverage. I decided to give them another try becuase I hate going to a salon for hair color. I read the instructions again to make sure I didn't miss an important hint. Tints of Nature made my grey look highlighted and didn't cover the grey around my temples at all. When I read the instructions again for Naturcolor, I noticed I missed this before: The manufacturer included a special tip for stubborn grey - apply developer on the stubborn grey hair, leave on for 10 minutes, wash, dry and apply color. I was thrilled that it covered the grey completely. I color it every 2-3 weeks because I like keeping the grey completely covered. I love this hair color. It's gentle and has a pleasant odor. Since I've been using Naturcolor, my hair has never looked better. It's soft, healthy looking, and I love that I am not exposing my body to the harsh chemicals that are found in so many hair color products. And, an added bonus is the cost savings!

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2009 5:17:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Since I do not have to cover gray but only need to tone down brassiness in my reddish blonde hair, I used the Mullein shade in the Natural series this past January. The shade toned down the brassiness but the color faded within a month; I went back to Natural Instincts (NI). Then I decided to go for the red tones and I used Tumeric in the Copper series in June. Gorgeous color! Faded in less than 3 weeks, even with use of a non-sulfate shampoo.

The product is gentle to hair and the softness after coloring was a wonderful experience. The shampoo and conditioner which come with it are great (wish I could purchase THEM). However, for the price ($15 a box and I need two boxes for thick, medium length hair), I found it was a lot for a home coloring job, especially if I needed to re-do every month. Even with NI, I let my hair go about 10 weeks between rinses. The shades from NI fade much less slowly and more gradually since there really are some chemicals (but no ammonia so it is gentle for my hair).

I would not recommend this product for any woman expecting lasting results (more than 3 weeks) but it is not a bad product. One hairdresser made a snide remark to me about this particular product: it stains the hair shaft.

As if that type of coloring is poisonous to hair! It does explain why grays don't get fully covered but for some women, this factor is a reasonable tradeoff for not using chemicals. The herbals in this product are gentle and the result is a very brief ride on the hair color merry-go-round. Some gals might go for it, but I was disappointed and won't repurchase.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2009 4:22:00 PM More reviews by lucytooners2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started using Naturcolor after reading Dr. Andrew Weil's book Women's Health. He recommends using herbal products if coloring your hair is necessary. I use 7R Tumeric Blond and have for about 15 years. The color turns out so natural looking that I even have hair stylists think it was natural. Yes, it does fade quicker but if you use a color protecting shampoo and conditioner it tends to help keep the color longer. I love that I can use only a portion of it to touch up the roots and save the rest for the next application. I certainly helps to offset the higher price of the product. Additionally the price certainly is worth the avoiding of the harsh chemicals in the grocery store brands.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2009 7:11:00 PM More reviews by sincityshopper

Ok, I decided to give myself bleach highlights about 5 weeks ago and they looked white and didn't blend my gray hair in the part area. So I waited & researched hair color and decided on Naturcolor. I started with 9N (test patch) and that wasn't dark enough to make a difference. Then I tried 2/3 8N & 1/3 10R (test patch) and that was a little too coppery for my taste so I went with 8N all over and the results are good. My is a dark blonde with some of the highlights showing through and best of all the gray areas in the part are covered. Yeah, no more gray. I have no idea how long the color will last or how it will fade and today I don't care. I am happy with the results. And my hair feels good. EDIT: I am still liking this gentle color but it only lasts for 2 weeks - I can push it out 3 weeks but have lots of grays showing through. I am thinking about mixing some other colors with the 8N for a change. I am already bored with the color. LOL

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 12:09:00 PM More reviews by NuMama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Why me! I have very dark brown hair that has a considerable amount of graying on front 1/3 of my head (darm premature graying runs on both sides of my family!). So, I carefully read all the reviews and called a Naturcolor consultant before buying. After using, my grays are not covered...they are tinted. They don't look teriibly bad because they sort of blend with my hair but I wanted coverage not blending! My hair is very soft and shiny though, I can't stop running my fingers through my hair! In all fairness though, I used 3N because my hair tends to take color very easily and often turns out darker what I want. I am willing to try Naturcolor one more time, with a 2N this time, and will give an update. ***EDIT*** Alright, tried 2N and had the same blending not coverage issue. I'm bummed!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2009 12:09:00 AM More reviews by FunnyValentine

To be fair, I have very thin hair which seems to want to turn reddish when I color it, so I have to be careful. I mixed 6N and 6 together 50/50, as one reviewer had written had worked for her. Well, I didn't realize how bad I looked until I went to the salon and had my hair dyed professionally. What a difference. The salon color was rich, while Nuturcolor was weak and orange-y on me. So now I've started experimenting with other hair dyes to cover my roots (Clairol's Root Touch-Up seems o.k. so far), but I won't be going back to Naturcolor (which is unfortunate, because I liked that it's natural--but that's all that I liked about it).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 3:03:00 PM More reviews by FABLMR

This is the BEST haircolor ever. I swore by Garnier Nutrisse, until NOW. I always hated putting those chemicals on my hair, and henna is worthless, but now, I crown the new HG hair color: Naturcolor.
I was surprised that it was so: mild and naturally smelling, easy to use, not messy, gentle and chemical-free, and that I could actually get a comb through it while the product was on--that never happened with Garnier. Also, I didn't have a ton of hair fall out on rinse-out like it would with Garnier. That used to worry me.
Best of all, the color is translucent and natural-looking and the shine is incredible.
I used it over my previously dyed hair. I mixed 50-50 4N Burdock and 4M Pomegranate Chestnut. I was kind of worried it was going to turn out totally purple like that awful Garnier Deep Burgundy color. But it is a lovely Mahogony, maybe next time I'll go 70-30 Burdock. (These photos are a little more on the red-purple scale than it looks in real life.) But it doesn't have that inky, dull, dyed color, this, in fact, reflects light. And you can see how shiny it is.
Plus, I don't have that nasty chemical feeling afterwards, nor the conditioner-that-never-washes-off feeling.
And as a bonus they give you samples of their shampoo and conditioner.
And you can mix the colors together as you like, which is super fun for people who change their hair as often as they change their minds, like me. The only thing is, you can't lighten. But, that's fine. They say your natural shade is the best for you anyway, right? So why not stick close to it.
I really wish I would've found this sooner and that is why I am compelled to post.
I bought this at Whole Foods.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2009 5:19:00 PM More reviews by artarbox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just tried this, finally, after reading all of the good reviews. Got it at WFoods for about $15, a little more expensive than other box colors but well worth it for not having to de-fume the house for hours afterwards. I barely noticed a smell at all! I used 8R, light tumeric blonde to take my already dyed medium-blonde hair to a reddish blonde and it came out exactly as I hoped, a medium red-blonde that's neither too clown-red nor too orange. The perfect coppery blonde! I love that it didn't smell horrifying and that my hair feels wonderful right now. Still shiny and happy! Definitely my new favorite dye. Bummer that you can't use it to lighten, though (according to package) because if they could make something to lift color that smelled that great, I'd be in heaven.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by sedamato

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used Naturcolor for the first time today and had to chime in with my two cents. I have medium brown hair that's about 20% gray. My hair naturally pulls red, which I always want to minimize when I color. I called Naturcolor's customer service line, and they told me to use 50/50 6N and 6C (to cut the red tones). I followed their instructions, and my hair looks AMAZING! This is my first experience with at-home color, so I was pretty nervous, but this is a wonderful product. My gray is completely covered, the color is exactly what I wanted and my hair is shiny and feels so healthy. Definitely use the conditioner that comes with the color - it smells great and really makes your hair so soft. I can't recommend this product highly enough. It really does deserve the super-high ratings it gets on this board.