December 22, 2014 | 1863 users online

Treatments (Face) - Philosophy - The Oxygen Peel

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2010 7:08:00 PM More reviews by IntiDela

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

awful product.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2009 7:03:00 PM More reviews by mlim74

This review like some of my other ones are two folds...I love it and I hate it, thus an average review.

The kit contains 2 parts; 1) Catalase Enzyme Capsules, and 2) Oxygen Foam. It also contains a small container to mix up the enzyme and a "spatula" to take off the product. You empty out a capsule of the enzyme and add warm water to “activate” the enzyme. You then spread the enzyme mixture on your face and then add the foam onto your face and leave it for several minutes before you use the spatula to scrap the foam off your face (if you don’t have sensitive skin, otherwise, you just rinse it off).

I love it because it does provide an instant brightening to the face and it keeps reduce the time of a breakout and prevents new ones from coming on. I generally use this product when I feel or see a blemish coming on. The day after my complexion is much better and any upcoming blemish is gone. If you are acne prone, you may want to use this peel a few times a week. It wasn’t harsh, so my skin was not pink afterwards.

I hate it because it has multiple steps. Come on now, activating the enzyme??? Also, if you add too much water, it gets runny, and there’s not much you can do about it. Yes, you do need a paste to get the Oxygen Foam to work with, but can’t that be combined into one product? This also leads to my other problem with this kit. Each capsule gets you this monster batch of enzyme that you can cover from face to neck to décolleté and all the way down to your belly button. If you decide to use it that way, you are going to run out of the Oxygen Foam after 2 uses. What sucks is that if you do run out of the foam before the capsules, you can’t just repurchase the foam. Additionally, it is the foam that makes this kit work. The container for the foam should also be in a tube. It would be so much easier to work with the foam in a tube when your hands are damp from spreading the enzyme mixture, it would be nice not to contaminate the foam with an active mixture.

Essentially you are getting a hydrogen peroxide treatment. That is why you should be careful that you don’t get this stuff in your hair, as it may bleach your hair. At the same time the peroxide is also killing any bacteria on your face that leads to breakouts. They seemingly created a $50 treatment from a simple medicine cabinet product that almost everyone has in their bathroom. We all pour hydrogen peroxide on our cuts to see it foam while killing bacteria, which is why this product foams up when you apply the foam to the enzyme mixture on your face.

I would be more inclined to give this a better review if Philosophy can get this treatment into a less messy single tube product.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 4:06:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Definitely brightens my skin tone.

CONS: The sales associate said it would help the look of pores or at least help with unclogging of pores, but I didn't see any difference with that at all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 6:18:00 PM More reviews by hair2show

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am not sure this is for me.... I know for the fact the price isn't. I first used this three weeks ago with my BF, broke the pill, added the warm water, etc., etc. Hmmmm.... different (I thought), but not so different that it made me go "wow, I never thought I would feel like this"...more of a "different, for $50 with mixing stuff up and applying this lavender lotion after" puzzled different. Second time I tried it I got more "hip" to the SPENDING game. I don't need ONE whole pill for my face. I carefull opened a pill, poured about 1/4 and mixed with warm water, just enough to coat the face (if 2 people used one pill the week before, why should ONE face use one pill?). Well the 1/4 pill and the water worked.....then the mixing, then onto putting on "When hope is not enough" for the lotion. Again...."Hmmm...interesting". I thought of giving this three weeks in a row. Well today makes week 3, my bf and I.... I split the pill and it was enough for both...today while I went to "scrape" my face with that spatula...SNAP....it broke.....that's ok, I think I need to rinse this stuff off my face anyhow...scraping alone might seem to harsh. I rinsed, then applied "Hope is not enough". I keep having the SAME reoccuring results with myself "hmmm,....interesting". I have come to realize that "Hope is not enough" is VERY herbally green/lavender and does NOT smell good, nor does it feel moisturizing enough for my skin. I have realized that I am just as good with a wash, toner, a misc. face mask and moisturizer than this. I use it weekly as a "treat" (as they say...weekly), but I am not convinced about the results. It is very costly and I strongly believe Olay will do a better job overall. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Petite_Mal

As many have already mentioned, this isn't exactly a peel, and it doesn't really have extremely visible results. However, I think it's important to consider length of use and the overall starting condition of the skin when rating this product.

I recently went off of birth control, and my skin started to break out. Nothing major, but the few I did get were pretty deep/big. The thing is, I'm getting married in two months, and I was kind of freaking out about possibly having acne ridden-skin on my wedding day. So, I decided to get some at-home facial treatments -- having discounted spa facials because of past experiences.

The first time I used the oxygen peel, my skin was wonderfully radiant. I still had the pimples, but the overall quality of my skin was great. The next few times I used it (which was more frequently than the recommended once a week, but works for me because I don't have particularly sensitive skin, and quite honestly, it's not as exfoliating/harsh as I imaged it would be), the results weren't as drastic. I was disappointed at first, but then I realized that the first treatment had already cleared away a lot of the gunk and such, so it made sense that the subsequent applications wouldn't have quite as much of a visual impact.

A week after using the peel three times, all of my deep pimples were tiny, flat bits of healing skin. It generally takes about two weeks for my zits to run their course and another one or two for them to completely heal. But now, a month later, no more break outs. This most assuredly also has to do with an obsessive skin care routine in general, but I truly believe that the oxygen peel has contributed to it.

Overall, I would recommend this product to anyone who has problem skin and needs rapid assistance, or to those who just want something to help maintain a nice complexion, where price isn't really a concern. As I said before, I think you're only really going to get "Wow!" results with it once, or with long periods between applications. I think this product's focus is holistic, so it's more of a stabilizer/maintenance sort of deal. It does exfoliate a bit, but if you're looking for something with more dramatic surface results, save the money and just buy an exfoliator.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2008 1:29:00 PM More reviews by littlebird123

I bought this from Nordstrom after a on site facial. They put it on my hand and my hand had a bright & white patch afterwards. I guess it's from the hydrogen peroxide, but was it good for the skin, I can't tell the difference one hour after I used it. The process was very messy when I tried at home. This product is a total waste of money. I will save my money for better products.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/24/2008 4:06:00 AM More reviews by road2lane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not a huge fan.. The oxygen cream that comes with it is 100% the same stuff as the "On A Clear Day" h202 hydrogen peroxide cream :-/, I dont like buying something else with the same stuff in it. I now own two.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2008 9:28:00 PM More reviews by socalsteph

I love this product! It makes my skin positively glow. You know how your face looks a day or two after a facial? Refreshed, smooth, radiant... That's how my skin looks. It comes with 10 capsules for 10 weeks. The way I justify the price? My face looks like I just had a facial for 10 weeks straight for $50! I will continue to buy and use this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by kathnoble4

I purchased this product about two weeks ago and I have used it once. I didn't notice any real changes in my skin. I don't think this product was worth the money and I won't purchase the kit again. I only used this product once and maybe I will have a different opinion after more use. I will continue using it until my kit runs out and if I change my mind on this product I will update my review.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by ayamikage

According to the reviews here, people either like it or hate it. For me, Philosophy's Oxygen Peel actually works! I have combination skin that's very sensitive and prone to breakouts if the product contains ingredients that does not agree with my skin. Therefore, it is rather difficult to find a product that actually works on me and not cause something red or purple to appear.

The Oxygen Peel does require a few steps, but it's not hard to follow. The first time I tried it, I can really see the difference between the 'before and after' on my skin. I'm sure the 'glowing' result is from the hydrogen peroxide contained in the product, which basically 'bleaches' the skin. However, it is not strong. I don't feel tingly while the product is on my face, nor does the hydrogen peroxide bleach my eye brows if I accidentally brushed some on it. My face feels soft and looks 'glowy' after I use the Oxygen Peel. It's great to do it right before a party or event! This product may not be for everyone, as some people had bad experience with it. Luckily for me, it works perfectly. I would recommend this product, although it's a bit pricey for what it is.