September 30, 2014 | 1712 users online

Hair Treatments - Aveda - Damage Remedy Restructuring Treatment

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Hellcandy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't often write hair reviews especially any about leave in conditioners, but this is hands down the BEST leave in conditioner I have tried.
My hair is long, over dyed and can often have brittle ends.
I apply a small quarter size of this product onto towel dried hair and the transformation is AMAZING. Hair is super silky and soft again.
I am not hair product junkie but this is one product that is definitely worth trying if you have dry brittle ends :)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2011 11:19:00 PM More reviews by kh011

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me just start off saying that I was completely hopeless about my hair. I honestly thought that I had totally ruined it. It started being really healthy last summer again, only because I had let it grow as much as possible and I have wavy/curly hair so I would just put some mousse or gel in it and blow-dry a little bit and flat iron my bangs.
I didn't use extensive heat on it, but I did color it quite frequently; about once every month or 2, whether it be some foils or a full color, I was not nice to my hair. Last November I box colored it black. Jet black. This past February, the weekend before valentines day, I decided I wanted to be bleach blonde again. I thought my hair was resilient enough and despite the stylists' (and her managers) warnings, I told them to get it as light as possible. After 8 hours of stripping and bleaching and "deep conditioning" and foiling, my scalp and forehead had chemical burn; imagine how my hair felt. My hair was about to the middle of my back at the longest point in the back. I left and drove my 45 minute drive home, literally bawling the whole way because my hair was my pride and joy basically. The next day I decided to get it cut off above my shoulders after literally crying in bed with my boyfriend nearly the whole day..(I know it's dramatic, but my hair was a security blanket) So I started flat ironing it every day because I didn't like how it looked wavy/curly with how short it was. Being that it's 7 months later, I decided I really needed to do something about it, because drugstore products DON'T WORK for me.
My best friend went to school at Aveda minneapolis and now works in an Aveda salon. She has always helped me and given me tips on my hair. I wear my hair up almost every day at school, which causes extra breakage. I went in to get my hair cut with her 3 nights ago, and today she fixed my color because it was awful. She ordered the Shampoo, conditioner, and leave in treatment for me because she can get it at a discount with her salon. She had only used the leave in treatment in my hair after the haircut, and then rinsed my hair with the conditioner today, and used a little more of the leave in. Needless to say, I already see my hair shining more, feels a little softer, and I'm not seeing as much breakage when I touch up my bangs with a flat iron. I should be recieving everything she ordered for me by the middle of next week and I CANNOT WAIT to actually start REPAIRING my hair and not just making it feel softer.
The comments that I've read about how this line just dries out the hair more, or they're not seeing a difference, is probably just because of misuse. There IS such a thing as too much protein, so if you use the shampoo, conditioner, and leave in every day, it will overload your hair and counteract, therefore causing more breakage and weakness. A good shampoo and condtion should be every other day if you can't get away with washing your hair every 2 days with these products. The leave in should be used (depending on your hair, trust your judgement) 2-4 times a week. I only give this a 4 for now because I have not gotten to start the entire process on my hair yet, but I will be reposting with honest results when I do.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2011 7:39:00 AM More reviews by ul28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a hair-saver, a miracle, a ray of sunny hope in the damaged hair cloudy sky !
I used to have very easy going nice healthy thick hair which never complained about being agressively highlighted every 2 months, he just went on shinning happily... But last month, after a very unfortunate chain of disaster-colouring events, all of them my fault, of course, he gave up and began to commit suicide. The short version: my hair went from highlighted to orange, then to green, then to dark green, and then, all hope lost, to Aveda salon, where I was seriously told off and then finally got my original highlights again. Looks like nothing happened, but almost every coat (and probably his very little soul) of my hair is seriously terribly damaged. This is the only product that doesn't leave it like an old dry washing mop (no Kerastase, no Fekkai, no shampoo or conditioner from the same Aveda line, which are horrible, by the way!!).
Please try this if you are thinking about shaving your head after a very unfortunate chain of disater-colouring events. Don't give up hope! I even use my GHD again, and I can even see a shy attempt of shine, lol!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 2:45:00 PM More reviews by skelli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff! I don't understand the reviews that say it has a glue like consistency because the tube I have is not thick. It is very silky, not oily or sticky. I've also read that some people wash it out...I use it as a leave in treatment.

I use it on freshly washed towel dried hair. A dime sized amount and then comb through. It is an awesome detangler. It does not make my hair feel coated or weighed down like some other leave in treatments. This product is kind of a mossy lemon scent. I personally find it refreshing because I loathe synthetic fruit and floral smells. It also has silicones which my hair loves. In 2 weeks it made my over processed straw like hair...more manageable, softer, less frizzy and overall healthier. I really feel like it penetrates and repairs my hair. I can't help but run my fingers through it.

I've also tried the Damage Remedy shampoo & conditioner which I DO NOT recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by fruitfly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is what I've finally found that comes close to replacing Aveda's deep penetrating hair revitalizer (discontinued about two years ago). I have long, thick curly hair and if I don't condition it aggressively it looks horrible. What I do (and from the cursory glance I took through other reviews it appears no one else does this) is use this as a LEAVE IN conditioner. I shampoo my hair (currently am enamored with Aveda's smooth infusion shampoo but rotate through other products), hop out of the shower, towel dry my hair, then work about a teaspoon of the treatment into my ends, let it sit for about five minutes, then comb out, working any residual product upwards (but not on my scalp). That's it. No rinse out. That's essentially how I used deep penetrating hair revitalizer. It works for me. Keeps my hair in control and soft, not greasy. But if anyone has fine, thin hair this would not be the treatment for them. I really can't complain about the price because I use such a sparing amount. I am not that keen on the smell, but at least it doesn't linger.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2010 4:15:00 AM More reviews by nellja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I just realized I reviewed the wrong product. I use the Daily treatment, and that's great. Can't work out how to delete my review so as to not affect the ratings - sorry!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 1:20:00 PM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got a few samples of this from my stylist and am loving the results. First, it has that Aveda-y scent - almost like a toned-down version of Shampure, I think. It's a rich and non-greasy deep conditioner type treatment, and does a great job of sinking into your hair. Here's my plan of action: I shampoo, then squeeze all water possible out of my hair, then apply the treatment, and twist my hair up and fix with a hair claw. I then continue my shower with body cleaning, etc. and at the end of the shower, rinse with cool water.

My hair immediately felt better - the cuticles felt smooth and like they had been treated right by this product. I followed with the Damage Remedy Daily Treatment - which is a leave in that also smooths and helps with styling.

The drawback is that this is so spendy in my opinion. It is $26 for 4 ounces.

The directions are to use this as a weekly treatment. I had to use a lot of product - two sample tubes for my long/wavy/kinda thick hair. If I had my druthers, I'd use this product every time I wash my hair - which is 2-3 times per week. But at that price, I couldn't afford it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2010 10:51:00 AM More reviews by shesays514

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This treatment is amazing. After just one use (left it on for about 45 minutes with my hair wrapped in a warm towel) I could feel and really SEE a difference. I let my hair air dry and it was much calmer and less fluffy than normal with healthy shine. It didn't seem to weigh my hair down much, either - even the next day it was shiny and smooth but not greasy. Will definitely make this a weekly ritual!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Nancyw314

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product cannot compare with Curresence (if I am spelling it right) I was broken hearted when they discontinued Currensence and replaced with this. Not nearly as good. I hope Aveda you are listening. If Curesence didn't fix the damage nothing would, and it saved my hair many times. This is a poor replacement and many of us want the original back.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2010 2:46:00 PM More reviews by skimcap

I use this as a hair mask once a fortnight. I have pretty fine should length hair and a pea size dallop applied to the ends of towel dried hair, left for like half an hour does wonders. I don't colour my hair but it does go thru alot of hair iron and dryer treatment so its pretty dry when left on its on. I like to use this as it saves me having to go to the hairdresser for trims as it reduces the likelihood of split ends. I must write however I only use Aveda hair products and have never coloured my hair. The only time I don't use Aveda is once a week when I use J&J baby shampoo as bit of a detox for my hair.