Yves Saint Laurent Nu

3.8

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Advertised Notes: Bergamot, White Orchid, Absolute Incense On paper, the notes in YSL Nu were extremely attractive to me, especially the incense. So, I decided to give it a try. Well, it smells like Estee Lauder's Youth Dew on me. (My Grandma Edna's signature scent.) While I loved Grandma in Youth Dew, I am NOT loving Youth Dew on me. I am disappointed because I smell no incense, etc. I will give this scent the benefit of the doubt and guess that I got a hold of an old bottle. Will try to find this in a store and give it another shot. UPDATE: I definitely must have had an old batch the first time, but it still bares a mild resemblance to Youth Dew on me. While Nu will not be my absolute favorite perfume and I'll probably only wear it rarely, I must confess, the incense dry down very nice. Anyway, changing rating from 2 to 3 lippies but will not repurchase. continued >>

on 1/6/2007 11:48:00 AM

Wyrmiax, in her review, dinged this right on the nose - orchid honed to a razor edge with incense. It isn't bad, and on the right skin, for the right person, this will be gorgeous. It certainly is an interesting idea. One of the main components is a soft, powdery/floral, agreed-upon "orchid" note. But things like orchids, or pansies don't actually HAVE a distinct note. They are unscented except for a basic greenness, leaf smell, plant smell; their flower is unscented. However they LOOK like they should have a scent, so there becomes an agreed-upon note for them. Orchids, evidently, look like they should have a powdery floral note, combined with a green plant note (perhaps the leaf note that actually is part of an orchid). Nu takes a soft, powder-floral, and combines it with pepper, vanilla, spice, and incense notes, probably frankincense. It should work. But something about the powder-floral note combined with the other notes subtly drills "wrong" into my skull and the pepper adds a couple jabs. I think my response is completely idiosyncratic, quite possibly based on my own skin chemistry, and this is certainly a fragrance worth trying. But, and this is a big qualifier, this isn't a frag I'd ever buy unsniffed.

on 12/22/2006 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

lovely. Does have the whiff of Black Cashmere about it, but seems to melt into your skin more than BC does. I love the puckish bottle, though it's not as squishy as the Bulgari Black! Hooray for deep, dark, delicious smells!

on 10/31/2006 9:01:00 AM

It's mysterious, thrilling, dramatic scent, not for everyone.. It reminds me Ispahan by Yves Rosher that also has very original character.

For me, Nu has a very sort of Arabesque feel to it. Something about all the incense and spices and the way they mingle together to produce an almost symbolic blend of something sandy yet liquid; a fragrance that reminds me of the desert. Something almost geometric about it, circular and infinite. I like wearing Nu when it's cool outside as it reminds me of the warmth of the fires in the desert on those cold nights when the chilly winds blow over the sandy dunes. I really love this fragrance and will continue to repurchase it for as long as I can find it. In addition, in character, Nu is much like Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. Packaging is interesting, although I would much prefer it if I were able to see how much is left inside!

on 5/17/2006 8:52:00 AM

I just received this in the mail, and although it is not like all the c**p out there now, with that fruity, candy, little girl smell, it's just okay for me. I was expecting more, but my body chemistry is making alot of nice scents smell like powdery, sweet on me. The one's that are good on me anymore is FENDI, & "JUNGLE" BY KENZO. I like the fact that this is incensy, but like I said, lately everything turns to powder, and this certainly has as well. I only tried it once, so maybe I'll wait, and see & try again, and it will change. Nobody seemed to notice it, or if they did, I didn't get any compliments, and when I wear the other two I mentioned , ALOT of compliments. All in all, I like it because it's not SUGARY!!!!!!!!

on 3/27/2006 9:36:00 PM

I was fortunate enough to snag a bottle of Nu EdP at Marshall's for around $15.00. When I first saw YSL's Nu, I thought, "Oh, how charming, to have a fragrance named after the thirteenth letter of the Greek alphabet." Silly me, always trying to draw connections between the modern and the ancient. Anyway, Nu is probably the only scent with a black orchid note (which I normally find wholly intolerable in other frags) that I can actually wear. The orchid is well in the background and well restrained; otherwise, I couldn't stand it. The opening of Nu is all incense, spices, woods and a bit of florals; it reminds me somewhat of DSH's marvelous Cimabue. The drydown of Nu (quite different from Cimabue) becomes more florally on my skin, yet it's still quite nice and woodsy. Very different from all the water babies out there. Tom Ford had this developed for YSL. Oh, yeah, that Greek "nu" connection. Not there. Right in front of me, on my bottle of foundation, there's the key: Fond de Teint Nu (nude). Mr Ford must have a thing about nude. He's got the Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber NUDE, and here he has YSL's Nu=Nude. Okay, Tommy, we get the picture. You can put your clothes back on now.

I don't understand this scent.I bought a bottle of this at Nordstrom after spraying some on a tester strip and even coming back the next day (it's a 45 minute drive,but hey,I'm game.)to make sure I liked it,still smelling the tester strip on my way there.The old bottle,which I bought,was circular and a deep clear amazing blue color.This smelled SO good on me when I sprayed it on.It was extremely spicy and musky.But when I smell it after the drydown,I swear to God it stinks like Gordon's Lemon Pepper Fish Fillets.It's pure pepper.WTF?Hate :(This is one of Tom Ford's many hit-or-miss disasters,and I had loved him at YSL.Too bad.

on 2/28/2006 3:20:00 PM

First, I HATE this bottle. It's just a silver, shiny, flat circle. It creeps me out because you can see a distorted version of yourself in it. Just because of the bottle I would not purchase it again. However, the fragrance is really nice. On me it was herbs, woods and honey with a touch of vanilla and incense. It's fresh, sweet, warm and comforting all at the same time. My favorite part is the honey and herb combo. I think it's unisex, but leaning more towards the feminine side.

"Nu is rich, mysterious, luxurious, enchanting. It's a woody oriental scent that hides nothing yet gives no secrets away. Nu is a warm, deep scent that is just perfect for winter or fall when the air is crisp and this scent just comes to life. I doubt I would or could wear it in the summer heat however. Now as far as comparing it to other fragrances is concerned, it does remind me of Black Cashmere when I first applied it. I absolutely love Black Cashmere but find it harder to wear than Nu. Some state that Nu smells similar to Dune but I have to disagree with that... Other than the fact that both have a strong scent of sandalwood in them I see no other resemblance, although Dune drives that sandal scent, in my opinion to far, whereas Nu is just perfect! I can also see why some consider it slightly too masculine, but really for me its just lovely. I was a little apprehensive to apply it before going to the office in the morning, and went back and forth on the decision the first time, but once I applied it I knew it was the right decision. I love it and so do a lot of others!"

Popular Fragrances