October 22, 2014 | 1667 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2013 12:55:00 AM More reviews by smsbell

Bummer. My search for a sunscreen that won't congest my pores and lead to little breakouts continues. I've tried just about everything and think I'm doomed for minimum coverage through my foundation and powder forever at this point. The sunscreen went on smooth, actually seemed to help my foundation apply better, and felt great. Light weight, sunk in to my sceen and my hopes soared! However, after just three days of using, with NO other changes to my routine that could have caused it, my pores started getting gunky and little bumps started appearing in random non-breakout prone places. I stopped for a week, did my chemical peel and a good mask and my skin cleared back up, tried this a couple more days and the pores got all large and gunky again. So, this is not for me though I could see how it could get amazing reviews if your skin didn't clog up so easily. I'm returning it and the search continues...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by xxbabydollxx

My most favorite high end non-oily sunscreen. This sunscreen as many have mentioned is similar to Shiseido's Urban Oil-free ss except that you get more for your price with the Clarins one.
What drew me to this ss was the fact that it was a physical ss vs. a chemical sunscreen. Physical sunscreens protect your skin from the sun by deflecting or blocking the sun's rays, while chemical sunscreens work by absorbing the sun's rays into the skin or scattering the ray .There are also hybrid sunscreens that contain both physical and chemical sunscreen actives. Physical sunscreens are less irritating to the skin and id rather my ss deflect the ray rather then absorb it.
A good physical ss is hard to come by because the two active ingredients that go into a phsical sunscreen titanium oxide and zinc oxide tend to give a heavy white cast and tends to be unblendable (sidenote: in a phyiscal sunscreen you do want ZINC OXIDE because it covers UVA and UVB whereas titanium oxide only covers UVB). Chemical sunscreens active ingredients are Octylcrylene, Avobenzone, Octinoxate, etc basically any active ingredient that is not titaium oxide or zinc oxide. It is difficult to find a physical ss that sinks into your skin without a trace. The clarins sinks in beautifully and quickly at that. This sunscreen is good year round, and in the summer I find that all I need in the morning is a good seerum and this ss. It's good for oily skin like mine, and even provides the lightest trace of moisturization which is great. a bottle lasts about 6-7 months depending on the seasons bc in the summer i def need more.
Compared to the shiseido, shiseido ss is a bit more matte and doesnt have that moisturizing property that clarins has in my opinion.

My conclusion, is that this is the *perfect* physical sunscreen out there whether you wear makeup or not. Would tots repurchase;)

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by annecarroline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first sunscreen I ever fell in love with. Really and sincerely. Unlike other sunscreen I've tried before, it's not greasy or oily or make your face feels heavy. It really protects because after month using it, my skin looks brighter, perhaps because sun can't burn it anymore. Don't forget to follow Clarins instruction to wear it. I use Clarins loose powder on top of it and the combination creates smooth velvetly blend bright tone on my face. I use the White/transparent one. The safest choice.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by kikulicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

This product comes in 3 shades - beige, pink and white (colourless). I've read many of the reviews, and the opinions really vary. This is because the coloured ones have a different consistency from the white one, but you won't really feel this if you're using a sample (I received samples and used them in pink and colouress) I'll review both:

White (Colourless): This one's light, makes your skin velvety, and is worth every penny. I got this in a small bottle at first. The kind you get over the counter. No problems at all. I've repurchased the smaller bottles :)

Pink: Like all humans, I am greedy. I wanted a fresh tint to my complexion, and bought the LARGE one in a pink! What a horrid idea. The consistency was abit steely and powdery, but still wet. It felt slightly wrong to be using it, but it's so expensive, I'm just going to have to keep using it.

Packaging: I've rated the packaging as 1 because the screwcap isnt tight enough. Brought this with me on a 6 hour flight and it was SUCH. A. NIGHTMARE. 3 hours into it, I found that my expensive sunscreen had leaked ALL OVER my makeup (wetting my powder blush). On the return flight, I scotchtaped the bottle, but that didn't help. Clarins needs to review this. The smaller bottle doesn't have this problem.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by ashley2011

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The texture is light. It does make me a bit white, which I hate so much. And it's hard to evenly apply. The worst thing is my skin still got a bit darker with everyday use of this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by iLoveYoutwo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS SUNSCREEN!! IT DOUBLES AS A MAKEUP PRIMER! I used to use silicone primers but they make my skin break out like crazy and my skin hates it. This is great- it is very light, fluidy, and compatible with most foundations! It doesnt make me white at all (Unlike the HOURGLASS VEIL PRIMER)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Similar to Shiseido's Urban Oil-free, this sunscreen has a runny consistency that's easy to blend into the skin. You get a soft-matte finish and pretty decent oil-control. It's easy to put primer and foundation over this, and there is no noticeable white cast -- something I saw with the Shiseido. Again, the two are very similar. I would say this is the better product for those with oily skin because this has better oil-control (the Shiseido has none). The white cast issue makes this a better choice as well. Super oily skin might want to look for something better, but I think slightly oily or combination skin would do well with this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by swtxdreams

product is non-greasy and can be worn under makeup. You must apply a light moisturizer under this for optimal results. The two steps are a hassle but better than having a greasy face or makeup that slides everywhere. It is a bit expensive for the amount of product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2012 2:50:00 AM More reviews by nellja

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Found this drying on even my oily skin. Also, I tanned. And it's expensive for what you get.

However, it's not bad layered *over* greasier sunblocks, to dry them out.

nb was also advised by the saleswoman to use 'a dab'. i imagine they're told to say that to justify the price, but obviously, it's idiotic advice.

edit: I've stupidly gone back to this when my other sunscreen runs out. Because I'm cheap. EVERY TIME, I break out. Going in the garbage.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2012 6:27:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I also love this product, for the same reasons expressed in the review right before mine by shi1. What I like most is that this offers a really high level of SPF in a product that feels pleasant to use, is not heavy or greasy and works well under makeup. It is a thin, milky liquid that leaves my skin feeling matte - it feels almost like a mattifying primer. The price may be a little steep but for the level of protection it offers and for how nice it feels, I am willing to pay that little bit extra. It costs only slightly more than the Kiehl's sun protection lotion (which is very similar in texture, finish and high level of SPF) and is actually cheaper than Lise Watier's most excellent facial sun protection product. It's definitely a product I would repurchase (but not til I make my way through the 3 quite large sample tubes I have, which will probably take me all summer).