NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.6

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 1/13/2014 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love to wear red lipstick, Dragon Girl is a bright blue based matte red, with a pink undertone. It's a creamy matte pencil (which are my least favorite kind of lipstick because when you sharpen them you lose some product). It applies really easy, it's almost fully opaque, and it lasts a long time on the lips. It looks so pretty on, it kind of reminds me of Ruby Woo from MAC, but this isn't as red. I'm not a fan of the pencil, but the color is so beautiful I'm willing to over look it.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Oh LAWD is this gorgeous. It is such a gorgeous bright blue-red. The formula is amaaazing. Such a comfortable smooth matte that fades evenly. Just glides like a dream when you apply it. This needs to be in my collection always. One of the best reds out there. I adore the name, too.

on 1/9/2014 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Very pretty on my currently NC20 skin (or in summer, NC25-30). Definitely adds a bright pop of colour, and looks especially good with minimal/natural eye make-up or a cat-eye. I love the matte finish, which isn't drying at all. I ended up buying a few more NARS Velvet Matte pencils and they are all outstanding, and now staples in my make-up kit.

Love it - easy to reapply when/if needed throughout the day, doesn't feather, very pigmented, creamy and non-sticky. I like the pencil form because it is easier to travel with and apply and not as messy as liquids or regular lipstick. Perfection!

Perfect red for my NC 25/30 skin!! The only matte lip colour range I can use without it drying out my lips. Excellent staying power on me. I always still have some red left in the morning even after a thorough cleanse the night before! You eventually loose some of the colour from eating and drinking but you don't get that obvious lipstick mark on your glass/bottle. I normally only have to reapply once for a whole night out. Clean up and reapplication is easy peasy! Love!

on 8/15/2013 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you have fair skin with cool undertones and love matte lips, this is the red lipstick for you! I saw a beauty blogger use this and I immediately fell in LOVE with the colour - it's beautiful, sort of a mix between a bright red and a deep pink. I have a hard time finding red lipstick, as I am fair and they can come across too dark (as a result I find them hard to pull off and I end up feeling a bit uncomfortable with them on my lips). For reference I have MAC 'Russian Red' which is another 'cool' red that I like, but it is quite deep and bold, which is sort of intimidating. I have strayed away from wearing it because it's really 'out there', and it can overpower my fair skin.

This shade is amazing. I swatched it in Sephora and I knew it was perfect. When I got home I immediately put it on and was in love! It's the perfect red because it's bold without feeling like the colour is wearing YOU. Don't get me wrong, it is bright but I think it's a great balance of red & pink - I have red hair and I adore how it looks with my hair colour. This is matte but I don't find it super drying and I also don't think it emphasizes any dry skin on your lips like many other matte shades.

My new staple for a gorgeous red lip!!! It doesn't disappoint, however I'd suggest visiting a Sephora or NARS makeup counter to swatch it on your hand or try it on your lips. I think the key to finding the perfect red lip is to get the right undertone to match your skin (cool, neutral, warm, etc). It is $30, which isn't a bargain or anything but NARS makes beautiful makeup so you pay for quality in this case. I'd also recommend checking out all the other shades of NARS 'Velvet Matte Lip Pencils', along with NARS 'Satin Lip Pencils' and NARS 'Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils' as well. Once you buy one, you will be hooked!! :)

on 5/30/2013 7:01:00 AM

The color is pretty, but didn't seem to bring my face alive (NW20, almost black hair, brown eyes). It did not look bad at all, but for this much money, I want one of those great shades that just brings everything together effortlessly. Also, I was disappointed in the pencil itself. I went through every Nars lip pencil thing they had and this was one of two colors that interested me. I chose this one because it was matte and I thought would make a lovely stain type of product. But it smeared...every where. I would apply it and it went on much brighter on my face than the swatch I did on my hand. I had to be careful applying it. But even with lip liner this created a fuzzy lip line. And the product didn't "stay" like I expected. It was more smeary than an average lipstick. All in all, it was too much mediocrity for the money. I had to return it.

on 5/29/2013 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Oh, how I wish this was longer lasting. This is a beautiful product, but it wears off from the inside of my lips out and doesn't leave a stain behind. I end up with uneven, "ring around the lips". It's still a beautiful color, applies like a creamy dream and is packed with pigment. It's not crazy drying but not particularly comfortable.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Bought this for my 30th bday, I was doing the whole pin-up girl look and needed the perfect red shade. For me, THIS was it! It's matte but not dry at all! It went on smoothe but not dry. It's really long lasting, that's always a plus! I did use a red lipstick over it but that was extra. This would've been beautiful without it. I would definitely buy this in other shades. Three years later I still have this pencil and it's still great!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This, sadly, did not work for me. It is, however, the most pigmented true red lip product I have ever found. It wear well and long. The packaging is slightly annoying, because I don't like sharpening. However, I think this works better for warm toned people.

on 1/30/2013 11:00:00 PM

I love this lip pencil so much. Gorgeous color, gorgeous look. So easy to apply because it's so precise. This actually doesn't dry out my lips like most stuff! I can't even feel it on either, and it barely smudges. I only gave it 4 lippies because for some reason, even with reapplying, it doesn't really maintain its integrity. Also it needs to be sharpened a lot.

Top Rated NARS Products