December 19, 2014 | 1809 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2009 2:56:00 PM More reviews by seuseu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ALWAYS COME BACK TO THIS SUNSCREEN. I have used so many but this one is the only one that keeps me matte, no white cast, and doesn't irritate my skin. I always use DHC oil to remove, then followed by Skinceuticals exfoliating cleanser...LOOOOVE IT...

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2009 1:05:00 AM More reviews by ujinyoon

I dislike coneful products, but this one doesn't bother me. It seems to actually help in making my pores look smaller during the day. It does the job, and I make sure to use a cleansing oil followed by a cream cleanser when I use this product since getting it off seems to be a big issue. The size is plane travel friendly which I appreciate. The one thing I really dislike about this product is the smell. It seems subtle and it's not a bad smell per say, but it really bothers me if I use it daily.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2008 1:46:00 PM More reviews by alba75

I have heard a lot about efficiency of Japanese sunscreens. This prompted me to buy Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 PA+++. It does a decent job of defending against the powerful UVA/UVB rays. It has got a texture of the lotion rather than cream and absorbs quickly. The smell is tolerable. This product left slight white residue on my face.
My issue with the product are similar to that of psmitty. Although I cleanse my face with both make-up removing oil and facial soap, the above sunscreen tends to clog my pores, thereby contributing to breakouts. It seems that it is impossible to completely remove it from a face.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2008 3:23:00 PM More reviews by annaalways

I love this stuff! It feels very smooth (just like the name promises) and matte on the my face. It almost feels like a great foundation primer. I do have oily skin so I do not need alot of moisturizer on my face. It does not leave my skin sticky. This is HUGE for me. And even with my sensitive, acne prone skin, I have not been breaking out. I have been using this product for about two months now, without any issues. I just started a brand new tube today. I am very liberal and generous with sunblock, including using it on my neck and on my hands. If I wasn't quite so liberal, I'm sure I would have plenty more left to use.

I use Philosphy's Purity to wash my face. I do not need a special cleanser to take off this sunscreen. I use to look for a sunblock/moisturizer in one, but after years of compromising moisturizer for sunblock and vice versa, I have just accepted that I will not get the best sunblock and moisturizer in one. I spot treat any parts of my face in the morning with my night cream and then use the sunscreen over my face. In the evening, I use the night cream all over the face.

I've been wearing some form of sunscreen for almost twenty years and this is by far the best.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2008 2:22:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

Unfortunately, this product caused skin issues. I loved the texture, mattifying properties, and quality- the sun protection was excellent! Even with careful removal, this caused cysts. My skin is breakout free, unless irritated by products and I haven't had that type for ages. It will take weeks to clear up and will likely leave scars. If anyone knows of another great sunscreen for sensitive skin, please let me know!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2008 4:23:00 AM More reviews by blrguy83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had been using Shiseido Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 38 for more than 6 months now.The texture is matte and stays that way until end of the day but it dried out my skin after using for some time because i was using it alone ,the trick is to use a light moisturizer(like B5 gel) before applying this sunscreen.It provides good protection for daily incidental sun exposure.Most important thing is that it did not breakout my acne prone skin.It leaves slight white cast.I precleanse with MAC Cleanse off oil and follow up with regular cleanser to remove it in the evening.One thing i dislike about this is the mask like heavy feeling on my face that is the reason i will not repurchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2008 4:39:00 PM More reviews by scarletfire628

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love love LOVE this sunscreen!!! Doesn't upset my rosacea-prone skin or sting my eyes! Spreads & absorbs easily on my face & neck and makes my MMU last longer! Dries quickly & doesn't leave a whitish cast, either, which is the problem I had with other sunscreens I've used. Persipiration just beads up on your face - my makeup stays intact and doesn't slide off at all! The packaging is cute, too. It comes in a flat, blue tube with a little yellow around the flip-top cap.

Not crazy about the price ($27 a tube) but the benefits definitely outweigh the price of this sunscreen. It is the best sunscreen IMO.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2008 9:55:00 AM More reviews by verolyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tried both 55 and 33 lotions, and they were too drying/ irritating. I have slightly sensitive, combination skin, and the cream s/s is much easier to tolerate. It is matte, like the lotion, but easier to apply. The lotion made my skin crack and turn red, but this went on smoothly. M/u went on easily over this. It is a good sunscreen. However, I found that it is not so different from Neutrogena Dry-Touch 55 in feel and protection. Both leave a slight white cast and are very matte. I don't love either one. They both could irritate my skin on a bad day, but since Dry-Touch is much cheaper and easier to obtain, I won't be buying the Shiseido again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2008 1:18:00 AM More reviews by krissy00417

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE IT! it says 'cream,' but it's not thick and rich like most creams. this product blends and spreads well, a little goes a long way, and there's no feeling of thickness or heaviness. it can be drying if worn without moisturizer underneath for people with normal/normal-dry skin; for oilier skins you could probably wear it by itself. it absorbs well, and the smell is pleasant but nothing over powering. it hasnt caused any bad reactions, breakouts, or cloggage of pores. i highly recommend this for everyday protection, whether you wear it by itself or under makeup. this is great under makeup bc it doesnt leave a white-gray cast on your face, and in my opinion, can act as a primer for its mattifying properties. i like to wear it under my everyday minerals foundation, and it really looks great. it's kinda expensive, but my tube has lasted so long already, and still has many more months to go (even with every day use). the spf 55 one is what i wear on vacation or when i go swimming. pretty much i only wear the spf 55 one when i know i'll be outside for a long time. it feels heavier than the spf 36 one, but for me, it depends on what my activity of the day is. this is a great wrinkle/aging preventative measure, and everyone should have one! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2008 6:04:00 PM More reviews by lovelycee

Definitely worth the price for a sunscreen!
This is my daily sunscreen since May 2007 and believe it or not I still am using the same bottle...I use about 1/4 tsp everyday and I'm surprise that I still have some left to use.
I like it that this is a stable sunscreen and doesn't leave you a white cast on your face. Great under makeup or powder since it is extra smooth like it has a mattifying effect, didn't cause any breakouts.
The only thing I hate about suncscreen in general is they need cleansing oil to completely remove it at night. I trust my cleanser but I get paranoid that I have to precleanse. Just make sure that you use cleansing oil/ or oil based product to completely remove this at night.