Origins Modern Friction

3.8

Aqueous infusion; rosa damascena (rose) flower; oryza sativa (rice) starch; sodium laureth sulfate; glycerin; cocamide mea; flycol disterate; acylates copolymer; pentylene flycol; polysorbate 20; essential oils (olea); citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot); citrus limon (lemon); cucumis sativus (cucumber); cinnamomum camphora (shiu); litsea cubeba; citrus aurantium (petitgrain); ocimum basilicum (basil); citral; linalool; benzyl salicylate; limonene and mentha piperita (peppermint), aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice; scutellaria baicalensis; pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract; cucumis sativa (cucumber) fruit extract; textrahexyldecyl (vitamin C) ascorbate; butylene glycol; hexylene glycol; sodium cocate; caprylyl glycol; sodium sulfate; hydroxypropyl methylcellulose; sodium chloride; laureth-2; tetradibutyl pentaerithityl hydroxyhydrocinnamate; edta; disodium edta; trisodium hedta; methylchlorosothiazolinone; methylisothiazolinone; sodium benzoate; penoxyethanaol; titanium dioxide (ci 7789).

on 4/8/2013 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I love this product!! I purchased it about 7 months ago and still haven't used up the entire tube. You get a decent amount of product in the tube, which is good as I was taken aback by the price at first. The SA at the counter did a demo of the product on my hand and I really liked the result so I made the purchase.

This product really exfoliates the skin well without causing irritation. A lot of other exfoliation products I have tried didn't have the right texture to really do the job because I have oily skin. I use once to twice a week and I have noticed a real difference in my skin. I would purchase this product again and recommend it to anyone with less sensitive skin.

on 3/18/2013 5:58:00 PM

This is now one of my all time favorite scrubs! I've suffered from a horrible bout of cystic acne for the past year, and I'm just now recovering and adjusting my skin care routine to accommodate my new normal, slightly sensitive skin.

I have a really high cell turnover on my face, and that combined with the flaky skin I have from previous acne treatments means I exfoliate A LOT. I use my clarisonic nightly, which has helped a lot with the every day flakiness, but I can definitely feel a significant buildup, especially around my nose and cheeks, every few days.

Despite needing exfoliation, my skin is definitely tender, so I need something gentle, that's still effective. Many other scrubs I've tried are either wayyy too abrasive, or so gentle they don't do anything. This scrub is a perfect combination. I put it on my face dry as recommended, and scrub gently for around 30 seconds, or until it forms a thick paste. Then I hop in the shower, add a little water, and it works into a great lather that cleanses my face and takes away all the dead skin.

I first tried this as a sample from Sephora, which I would definitely recommend if you can since this is pricy. The little sample tub lasted me about two weeks, during which time my boyfriend picked it up for me around Valentine's Day after hearing me rave. It is pricy, but the bottle is HUGE, and you really only need a small dab to get the job done. I've been using my tube since Valentines Day about twice a week, and I haven't made a noticeable dent; I will update to let you know how long it lasts!

One downside: be VERY careful about getting this around your eyes and nostrils, it burns! As long as you're cautious, it's a great scrub.

on 1/9/2013 7:37:00 PM

This scrub is the BEST!!! One of my can't-live-without-it products and I've felt that way since the first time I used it, which was about a year ago now.
When I use this on dry skin (my preferred method) I get a nice mechanical exfoliation from the scrubby granules. I do this for about a minute, the product is really thick and paste-like so there's no problem with it running all over the place. Then I add a splash or two of water and OMG that's when the magic happens. At this point the scrub turns lathery and sudsy, and it's the lather that eats up and dissolves all my dead skin cells and flakies. Completely.
Leaves me with a smooth, bright complexion every single time. It's strong stuff so I only use this occasionally, maybe once or twice a month at the most. Those with sensitive skin should probably avoid using this dry, it's probably too much.
This is the only scrub I use now. I've tried Clinique, Laura Mercier, ExfoliKate, Remede, MAC Volcanic, many others. Nothing else compares. Try it and see for yourself!

on 12/11/2012 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a very nice scrub. I use it 2x a week. Wetting the face and using my Olay rotating brush to evenly work the product on my face and neck avoiding eyes. Then I wash it off. The eyes can burn if not careful.

My skin is soft and smooth now.

on 11/10/2012 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have sensitive skin, so I mix water into the scrub before applying. I do not scrub this stuff in and simply massage it everywhere on my face. I was hesitant to do this at first, but now I would say this method of application works.

Despite the price, this is not a miracle product. I still have to watch my diet (no fried and sugary food) and sleeping habits (before 12mn) to maintain a relatively clear skin. However, I'm willing to look past this since my skin feels baby soft afterwards.

Edit: It broke me out, so bad. Down to 3 stars because it does what it claims to do.

Iīm not the greatest fan of manual peelings and rather use enzyme peelings like Kaneboīs silk peel powder.
My skin is combo-acne-prone dehydrated with a tendency to look dull. While my skin is pale, I also struggle with melasma and an uneven skintone.
I was given a deluxe sample of modern friction by a SA I know and she told me to try it, because she liked it a lot.
I checked the ingredients first and anyone whoīs allergic to plant extracts or doesnīt react good towards a strong concentration of vitamin c should be careful. You might get an allergic reaction or a burning feeling.
I tried the peeling wet as I didnīt want the peeling to be too harsh.
The peeling comes in a tub and is a thick white paste with grains in it. Smells good as always with Origins like lemon and plants
I put the peeling in my hand (quite a generous amount) and added some water. Then I put it on my skin and massaged it in. After that, I put more water on my face and lathered it more up. I went on with that slowly putting more and more water on until I splashed my face with loads of water. The peeling takes some time to be removed.
And accidentally, while splashing my face, some of it came to my eyes. Ouch. As the other reviewers said, be really careful beacuse the vitamin c burns like hell in your eyes.
The result was at first a skin with some red spots the immediately went away.
I didnīt react allergic and my skin can take higher concentrations of antioxodants as vitamin c.
After that, I put a calming and moisturizing mask on (Nuxe or Avene), but be careful that the mask just gives plenty of moisture without further "pushing" the skin. My skin had the slightest afterburn and felt thisty. I wanted my skin to calm down and soak up some moisture with the mask,which was exactly what happened. The slight afterburn just stayed all day and after the mask, I put on my Avene rich moisturizer.
My skin looks good and feels babysoft after the peeling.
The longlasting effects are to be seen, but I will update about it.
I really wouldnīt advise tho use this mask every day, because this is a strong peeling and your skin can just go into overload from the excessice peeling.
Many reviewers just used this peeling too often and I couldnīt help but wonder, how much damage such a strong peeling used every single day can cause to your skin. Can destroy your natural skin barrier and skin balance, cause a lack of moisture or oils in the skin and broken capillaries. So, less is more with any peeling, I would say.
In fact, I would say, use it once a week, maybe even less often.
And you have to use sunscreen after the peeling, because ths skin is sensitized to sun exposure.
For myself, I would use it once or twice a month when I want a peeling with a little more va-va-voom than my usual mild enzyme peeling. And I have skin, that kreatinizes too much, so that should tell you, that this peeling is tough stuff.
Many people with sensitive skin or allegies wonīt be able to use this at all.
I suggest to try and get a sample, because this is not suitable for everyone.
For me, this works as an extra for my skin from time to time and is a great additon to my usual mild peeling.
Update 03112012: This is a big no and I changed from 5 lippies to 1 lippie. This gave me a red dry spot in my left cheek and it proves, yes, you have to be careful with that peeling. Pampered my skin with a rich moisturizer and some eight hour cream and thank god the spot is gone.Needless to say I wonīt buy a full size and I recommed to be cautious with this peeling.

on 9/25/2012 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am not a fan of physical exfoliants but I like to use Modern Friction occasionally, because I love the liquid part of the scrub, it has oatmeal scent & it feels very soothing & nourishing on the skin, the overall consistency is a bit dry if you use it without water, it feels damaging to skin so I always water it down. For exfoliation, I much prefer the magical Cure Aqua Gel & Dermalogica's Gentle cream exfoliants comes to second. I would probably love Modern Friction more if it comes without the beads.

on 9/4/2012 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Dont really rate this. I found it a chore to use mainly because of the consistency of it being really dry. I also think there arent enough grains in it to actuallly do a deep down scrub. On rinsing also I didnt feel my face was clean and felt i needed to wash it.
I like to use a micro dermabrasion type scrub once a week folowed by a mask. Then another day i will use an exfoliator or polish currently being origins Never a dull moment which i love, and one another day a creamy peel Elemis Papaya enzyme peel.

I much prefer EL Micro D to this as it has small but many grains even though its more expensive it does a better job. The other is one from boots from the Dr Nick Lowe range.

I would like to try Dermologica thermofoliant but its quite expensive.

on 9/3/2012 8:55:00 PM

very exfoliating for the face but if you have sensitive skin i dont recommend you using this because it is very rough. smells great works great, the only downfall is the price. 40$ is rather expensive.

on 8/16/2012 11:49:00 AM

This is a good gentle scrub if you get it NOWHERE near your eyes or nostrils. I get a very stinging sensation every time I accidentally get some in those, and trust me, it's gonna take a while to clear. That said, I prefer microdermasion beads (such as from GOW) which work better than this in my personal opinion.