October 31, 2014 | 789 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Merle Norman - Luxiva Sheer Defense Tinted Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 10:40:00 AM More reviews by HeidiJ

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Another winner from Merle Norman! To me this could be considered a tinted moisturizer or a light foundation. I have the color L20, and wear MAC NC15-20 for comparison. The shade is an ivory with a slight yellow undertone. This applies wonderful...I dot some on my face and blend with the BeautyBlender sponge and get a flawless finish, slightly dewy. It lasts all day without fading or streaking. I apply the MN Mineral in L20 over this, and it looks great. A little pricey at $33, but if it works and looks great that isn't an issue.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2009 5:17:00 AM More reviews by blushingpale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I actually went to MN for the pressed powder fdn, but ended up buying this because I was worried the powder would dry out my cheek area too much. Me: dry/combo skin, rosacea, very fair skin, neutral-toned Mac NC/NW 15 and EM Fair. Enlarged pores and redness and some bumpiness issues.

I was prepared for the aggressive salespeople thanks to the other reviews so that really wasn't an issue, but I was shocked when the price turned out to be $46 Cdn, before tax.

I got the lightest color, Bare, which is actually a little too dark for me but I don't mind getting some color from a tm, especially in summer, and the color looked decent once applied. Evened my skin tone but no coverage so I used some mineral foundation over the top. It didn't minimize my enlarged pores and if anything emphasized them but the mineral foundation helped. Also this tinted "moisturizer" didn't seem to moisturize much but didn't dry out my cheeks, and it did get shiny on my nose pretty fast. I touched up with powder which left it looking a bit caky but not too bad.

My overall feeling was "meh" so I ended up returning it after a few days because I just couldn't justify paying so much for a tinted moisturizer that, on me, performed no better than CG smoothers tm (sadly no longer available in Canada). And the color was just a wee bit TOO dark, meaning I had to put some bronzer on my neck so I didn't look too mis-matched. Not a bad product though, if you can find a good match and just want something that will even your skin tone without drying you out. I might have kept it to use in winter if the color were lighter.... I had read reviews of this product before buying, and several fair-skinned reviewers mention that they felt the lightest color gave them "a glow" but for me it went a bit beyond that --and my skin is still a shade darker than the very palest tones, so I thought I should mention this for all the PPPs out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2009 12:41:00 AM More reviews by babyd0llx3

This is a great tinted moisturizer but the color range is horrible. I got it in Toffee, I was pretty tanned then but clearly not tanned enough coz it never looked right so I don't use it. I wish they would just expand the color spectrum because it blends so well, doesn't wipe off and feels weightless. It's also expensive and quite small in the tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2009 3:09:00 AM More reviews by Vena

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this. After trying several others, this works best for me both in color-match and consistency. The closest I had gotten (through all price ranges) had been Neutragena. The MN Luxiva is a better match for me and has more staying power, plus it doesn't make my oily spots oilier and my dry spots drier! There was some "sticker-shock" after using the much-cheaper Neutragena, but the price is still in line with the higher-end brands.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by cwa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this TM. It's not oily and gives a look of freshness to my skin. The color really blends well too. It also has decent coverage for a TM. This is the best I've tried so far.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2008 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Avg_Jane

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been on the tinted moisturizer hunt now for about a year. I've tried LM, Bobbi Brown, Stila, Paula's Choice, Cover Girl, and Revlon Beyond Natural foundation, just to mention a few. After reading Makeup Alley's reviews, I went ahead and dragged myself to a Merle Norman Studio (I hate this part) and tried the Luxiva Sheer Defense Tinted Moisturizer. The MU Artist told me "Tan" was the perfect color. I'm usually a NC-27 or NC-30. In the lighting, it was hard to tell. Note to self: "Look in natural light...Duh." In short, it was too dark! I exchanged it the next day for the "Bare" shade. Perfect match! This tinted moisturizer is wonderful. It covers better than the many I have tried. Some would consider this a sheer foundation, however. I have normal to dry skin, so I always begin with my normal moisturizer and let it set in. Then, I apply the foundation (I know I'm defeating the purpose here with an extra step, but the TM, like most others, is just not quite emollient enough on its own for those with dry skin.) The TM goes on very evenly without streaks. This stuff is a "no-brainer" and is hard to do incorrectly. It leaves a glowy, smooth finish that lasts well all day. Mid-day, I did a light, quick touch-up with MAC blot powder. It still looked great. Lots of compliments from friends and family saying, "You look happy." or "You look like you're rested." That's how I know that this is good stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2008 4:25:00 PM More reviews by dragonballz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recieved a full-size tube of this a while back as a free gift. The color was in "Tan" and was really too dark for me, so I would definitely try a new color next time. I have really oily skin and was impressed with the shine-reducing capabilities this product has. It isn't so matte that it accentuates flaws though. My main complaint is that the formula is a bit too thick. I supposed I'm spoiled from using the Luxiva Lasting liquid that applies thinly (even though it provides awesome coverage). I will probably re-purchase this product to alternate with my Luxiva Lasting liquid. UPDATE: I decided that I will not re-purchase because it contains chemical sunscreen. I find that chemical sunscreen makes me get oilier faster and I think physical may be a more natural/safe alternative.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2008 11:07:00 AM More reviews by qisme615

I've used tinted moisturizer from Laura Mercier but the things I didn't like was it made my face extremely oily (I have the oil-free) throughout the day. Also it feels thick and doesn't give a smooth application when applying to the skin. The color I had with LM was Real Sand and it was tad dark on me but I'm not one to go out and purchase another in order to mix it, too lazy.
After reading reviews I decided to stop by MN to see and try this product. The sales rep suggested my color would be Nude. I asked her if this would turn orange on me and she said no. So she applied it to my face and it felt extremely smooth just like liquid foundation. It gave me a brighter look. I think she had said there were certain ingredients that enhances your skin tone. My skin isn't as oily as when using LM. She also said that this would go nice with their mineral powder, so she applied the powder (color is L60). At the moment I will say that I really like MN tinted moisturizer. I think she said there's SPF but it doesn't have talc in it. The colors that she matched with my skin tone looked good.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by HCat

Love this product! I am one that likes my tinted moisturizer to actually provide some coverage while moisturizing. This does it all! It gives excellent coverage and doesn't get all shiny on my combination skin later in the day. I could probably wear this by itself, but I got it to go with Merle Norman's Mineral foundation...another excellent product...I will review that one too. The tinted moisturizer covers my ruddiness and helps hide my lovely hormonal chin breakouts. So, the minerals just add that finishing touch for extra coverage when needed. Unlike foundation that can eventually reveal the flakiness caused by acne treatments, this does not. And if I feel I need a bit of coverage and moisture later in teh day i just dab a bit of those dry areas and voila! For reference, I am a Sand In BB & FL in BE and I love the Bare shade. If you are looking for a non-greasy, doesn't break-down and make you shine later, excellent coverage tinted moisturizer, this is it! It is truly my HG!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2008 3:13:00 PM More reviews by coberkrieser

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great tinted moisturizer! Not oily at all. Gives a little more than what I'd call sheer coverage alone and when worn under the mineral foundation it provides better coverage than most traditional foundation/powder combos. I will definitely buy again.