Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I have super oily lids so whenever I even wear mascara, I get oiliness a couple hours after. This is the only eye shadow primer so far that I've tried that works. I wear it most days I put on makeup even if I'm not using eyeshadow just to prevent oiliness. When I run out, I wouldn't repurchase just because I've only tried a few and I'm keen to try the MAC one.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I do not know what magical ingredients contain inside this primer - I only know I LOVE THIS AND IT IS THE ONLY EYE PRIMER THAT WORKS!

I live in extremely humid conditions, average day about 93.2 fahrenheit degrees. To top it off, I have extremely oily eyelids. Like, legit REAL oily, and it tends to show on my skin about 2 hrs later after cleansing.

I work in the beauty line as well and my job requires me to put on full makeup - eyeshadow, eyeliner, foundation, contour, highlight, need i say more?

I bought the naked 3 and received the 4 eye primer sample shadows and i have tried all of them. All of the primers worked!!!!!!! And I'm shocked!!!!!!!!

Fyi - i was still a student back then, living on a budget. All of the drugstore primers i have tried DOES NOT WORK - even the highly raved Essence primer did not work on me - all of them creased within the first 2 hrs. The humid conditions i live in does not help my situation at all!!!!

I have tried all 4 samples, and i can guarantee 100% that all the 4 primers work. Each of the samples lasted me about 1 and a half month - and I use them about 5 days a week when i go to work. Completely NO creasing at all! Out of the 4, my top favourites are the original and Sin.

1) Anti aging works, but i find that if i pack on a bit more, it will start to tingle a bit. This doesn't happen for the other UD eye primers. Not too sure whether it does help in anti aging. You also have to pay a bit more for this primer, but honestly speaking, i really don't know if the anti aging claims work; simply because i haven't noticed a difference. If you're on the fence and don't know which eye primer to invest, this is NOT the one for you.

2) Eden is good, and hasn't creased either, but it feels thick. If i were to put on a second layer, the primer itself will start to crease before i even put on eyeshadow while it dries (i have hooded eyelids btw) It is overall, an OK primer, but i would not repurchase this.

3) Sin is great, and it has a metallic, shiny finish. I believe this is the best option if most of your eyeshadows are mostly shimmery or metallic colours, because the champagne finish in the primer itself will help bring the colours out even more intense! Most importantly it is still suitable for everyday wear.

4) If you want to play safe, then stick to the Original. The most basic primer that works, doesn't crease, lasts on you all day as well!

I apply makeup during the day at about 10.30am and i work long hours, I return home at about 11pm to remove my makeup and find that ALL OF THE SHADOWS ARE STILL INTACT!!!!! No creasing at all!!!! Remember the humid conditions i live too!

Pros:
+ Long lasting (around 8-12 hrs, on and off, depends how much of the product you use)
+ No creasing
+ Variety of options (but as mentioned, play safe, original is the best)

Cons:
- Probably the price. It is expensive, but this is the ONLY expensive product i am willing to splurge because it does work on me.

Fyi, after applying makeup i always use UD all nighter makeup setting spray to set my makeup. Another HG of mine as well, I have also posted up a review on the spray. So far all the products i have tried from UD have not disappointed me.

I have since purchased the full sized version of Sin and Original (those two are my favs). I use Sin if i decide to put eyeshadows more on the shimmery side, and the Original for normal regular eye makeup.

***still on the fence? just go to Sephora stores and ask for a sample, and you will not be disappointed. Those living in the US are so lucky! (i live outside of US btw) We don't ever get to try any samples in our stores and things are heck expensive and sometimes its such a waste if it doesn't work out! I was just really lucky to purchase the naked 3 and receive them and i have never once turned back!!!***

From my personal experience, if there is anything you want to try from UD, but you're on a budget, intending to save so that one day you can splurge, just try these 3 products from UD:
- all nighter makeup setting spray (forget the rest of the sprays, this is the best option)
- naked skin concealer (blends in beautifully, NARS concealer goodbye lol)
- Original eye primer!!!!

Sorry for the long review!!! I have never been so pleased with a product like this!!! Hope this will help you guys out there contemplating! Good luck and have fun!

This stuff is my life partner in eye primers.
To be honest, I haven't ever used any other eye primer before using this one but I do really love it.
I work in a really busy retail shop in the city so my skin becomes very oily very quickly. Even on a normal day/night out my eye shadow migrates and forms that gross line in the crease of my eye lid. This stops all that. Oh sweet baby jesus it worked! I went a little crazy with makeup to work on Christmas Eve which is one of our busiest days and I work almost 9 hours, this stuff made my makeup stay put.

It doesn't smell like any thing. Its super easy to use. The price isn't too bad, could be better but it could also be worse.

I would buy this product time and time again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Not sure why everyone is obsessed with this primer. I think it gets the job done, but not better than any other primer out there.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

How the heck is this stuff so popular? It doesn't work at all.

I bought it recently, as everyone and their mother uses it and loves it. I was EXTREMELY disappointed. My eyeshadow creased within an hour and looked awful by the end of the day (worse than when I go without a primer!).

I'm pretty sure I used it right: I applied a tiny amount to both eyelids, let it dry (while keeping my lids lowered to prevent creasing), and then applied my shadows. Hell, most of the time, my shadows looked like shit when I wore this primer.

Will not ever, EVER purchase this again.

Pros:
1. Packaging is very convenient as it comes in a sleek squeeze tube
2. It really does keep my eye shadow on for longer

Cons:
1. It comes in a higher price tag compared to other E/S primers
2. Considering the price, I was hoping I would get more product but that was not the case.

I'm not big on eyeshadows and I think a good setting spray can make my entire look last longer. I would save my buck and consider buying a drugstore brand or skipping the primer all together. Concealers can make for good lid primer/base too.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Omg I'm so dumb. I've tried this a few times and I just didn't like it. I don't know why, I guess the shadow didn't stick well enough or I didn't use it right. Previously was using this little white pearly cream compact called Kiki that I found at Harmon's for $2. I always got compliments on my eye makeup when I would go out, and I really think the kiki was part of the secret. It didn't dilute the color AT ALL and really kept it on without creasing.

I eventually bought the Nyx white cream base and then the nude base and have been using those with success, though occasionally some shadows crease. Usually the *really* junky kinds, but occasionally some Nyx or nicer drugstore ones that I thought were better than that. But overall those were pretty good and pretty similar to the old stuff I used. I also feel like the white primer might be similar to the Milk pencil people love to use as a primer, kind of a wax base. But the pencil might be easier to use and less waxy.

Then I bought the Naked 3, like eons later, and it came with the primer testers. Just on the first one a few times and I already love it. I don't know WHAT about it I didn't like before, I remember thinking it was ok but creased as well so what was the point, but this time around I'm really having more luck with it and the colors are lasting beautifully. I did notice the bottles are different from when I tried it. I don't know if they reformulated it or it's just a packaging thing, but this is definitely not a cream like I'm used to. It's really smooth and almost dry feeling but just enough to 'catch' the shadow. I think cream bases sometimes crease because they melt a bit even with our own body temps and it causes sliding. There's frequently small sizes of this available as either a sample or travel size which is great if you want to try it.

I completely changed my mind about this one, I would repurchase this, maybe even before my Nyx ones run out, since they never run out....

I have tried a few different eye shadow primers, both high end and drugstore, and always come back to this. To me it's worth the fairly high cost because it is highly effective at preserving eye shadow color and preventing creasing. One tube lasts forever as well. Of course it isn't perfect, but I haven't found anything better yet!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is the review for the one in the tube.

This is the only eye primer that I've tried so far that doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes and make them watery. Lorac's eye primer and NAR's eye primer both make me tear my makeup off which is unfortunate because I find that the UD primer potion leaves too much of a residue. I like how much smoother NARS' and Lorac's primers are.

My foundation always looks weird when laid on top of UD's primer potion, no matter how long I let it dry or how I set it or how little I use. Because of this, this potion is a terrible under-eye primer because it just dries in this pattern that will stay on your face. I find it harder to blend eyeshadow on top of this primer too.

The other day, I tried Jaclyn Hill's technique of just setting your concealer and foundation with powder as an eye primer and my lids did not crease at all but I do have dry skin. In fact, my eyeshadow creased MORE using UD's eye primer! The only thing is I like about this primer is that it does make your shadow pop out a little more and make the pigment stand out. My eyeshadow did get muddier throughout the day without a primer but I think I will try an eyeshadow base like NYX milk to see if it has the same effect of making my eyeshadows stand out!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love this primer! I own nyx's natural eyeshadow palette which is a terrible palette as the shadows only stay about max 2 hours on my oily eyelids. However, with urban decay's eyeshadow primer , the eyeshadows lasted 6-8 hours on me, which is totally amazing ! My only complaint is that the primer tends to 'stick' to dry patches on my face (like at the ends on my brows) and even rubbing away the primer at my dry spots won't help, so usually I have to wash it off. I bought the travel sized primer which lasted me a long time so I would definitely repurchase :)

Video Reviews & Tutorials