November 29, 2014 | 935 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I bought this, like everyone, to make my cuticles less dry. For some reason, I don't like the applicator (brush on), I'd rather just use like lotion and rub into my hands like vitamin E oil. Also, I think this may even make my cuticles look worse :(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by tomtyo

I was a nail biter for 40+ years and then a little over a year ago decided enough was enough. My nails at that point were almost non-existant, but slowly they grew back. I was searching the web to find info on if the nail beds were ever going to grow back when I stumbled upon Solar Oil. It was recommended on the sites I was reading so I bought a bottle and have used it at least twice daily since. My nails have completely grown back and I probably have 90% of the nailbed back, they may not get any better, but the value of keeping my cuticles in great condition and the nails strong is worth the effort. By the way, I work on cars, weld, and am generally rough on my hands. Have never had a mani or pedi and never expect to, not a metro by any stretch, this is just good stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 3:48:00 AM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

i tried a sample size bottle of this cuticle oil and i loved it - plus it lasted for ages - so i invested in a larger bottle and use it every day and my cuticles - and manicures - have never looked better.

the oil seems reassuringly nourishing but light enough to soak in easily and has a lovely sweet almond smell.

a few times i've had nail polish peel off - especially the gel polish - and this is a great oil for restoring the shine to stripped nails.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 7:36:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have to admit, I got two mini bottles as a gift over the years, but used none of them.
I put them all in my bathroom closet and forgot about them.
Until recently, I decided to do more for my nails and hands, which I neglected a little bit.
I did some research and came across the famous solar oil. I read a lot of articles and many nail designers like Sophy Robson and make-up gurus like Lisa Eldridge use this. Basically everyone of them has one bottle of solar oil on the nightstand ;-).
So, I rambled through my bathroom closet and found the two little bottles of solar oil.
I started to use the oil on a regular base overnight (having it on my the nightstand:-)) and found my cuticles and nails looking very nice while using this.
The oil is a clear oil with a hint of marzipan smell, that comes in a nail polish bottle with a brush cap. It is a little bit runny and thin, so you can easily massage it in. My nails and cuticles soak it in a few minutes and look very polished and healthy afterwards.
I also use it after painting my nails or toenails to make the cuticles look really good. Because any high end nail polish is wasted when your cuticles look dry and chipped.
You have to use it on a regular base, thatīs what makes it so hard for me.
Some people complain about the price, but I got this as a present. I found out that one mini bottle costs 4 Euros and a large bottle 16 Euros.
Thatīs pretty much when you consider, that the basical ingredient is almond oil, mixed with jojoba oil, rice bran oil and vitamin e.
To be honest, I think that the mini bottle lasts quite long and I donīt need much of the oil. Some people mix a similar combination of oils together, but Iīm not a diy-type when it comes to cosmetics.
So, yes, I think I would buy a mini bottle again. I tried some drugstore nail oils, but they never really convinced me and I got back to solar oil.
I recommend it, if youīre willing and able to pay the price.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by rburney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I apply this with the cuticle eraser before bed and at least once during the day. My cuticles look great. When I dont have the $ to treat myself I just use a teensy bit of Glytone body lotion and whatever lightweight oil I have.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 8:31:00 AM More reviews by Lindacooks

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Over the years I my sensitive skin has pretty much opted me out of most cosmetics so you won't see reviews from me on much of anything else unless it Oil of Olay. Solar Oil is something that the lady used to use to help dry my French Manicure Acrylic Nails but once I had to stop doing that I found that it helped my nails recover. After years of having acrylic nails my own nails were very thin and wavy in texture. I stopped having them applied about 10 years ago and my nails are still kind of rough on top but I continue to use the Solar Oil and they are much stronger and healthier. The product is something that I would recommend to anyone. Basically it is sweet almond oil but SAO is one of natures wonders. It relieve earache pain and soothes dry irritated skin and hair. It will do you proud on your nail. Let it soak in and then smooth it over the cuticles and rest of your hands. You will be amazed at the results. It is one of the few things that still remain from years of cosmetic use. Hey, I used to sell MK before my skin got to where it just didn't like any of it. Goat's milk soap and Oil of Olay are my beauty system these days with Gold Bond Ultra Healing and Solar Oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by frenchie_cutay

I wish I'd found this sooner! I bought three mini bottles on ebay for about 15 bucks. I leave one at work, one on my nightstand, and one in my nail kit. I've started just painting it liberally all over my nail and cuticle then trying to leave them alone for as long as I can handle (45 mins). Then I just rub it off but it's absorbed the good stuff by then. By doing this 2-3 times a day my nails have gotten so long and strong, and my cuticles are almost all healed. I will buy this forever! careful not to touch your hair or important papers during the "coating sink-in stage" though :) even my boyfriend noticed how nice my hands look!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2012 3:13:00 AM More reviews by mntrinemo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'd buy this again if I had spare money. I bought is regularly when I had more disposable income. Great product but it is mainly sweet almond oil. I bought a 6 oz bottle of sweet almond oil for about 1/2 the price and refilled the bottle with that. Works great for moisturizing--not sure how SAO only works as a polish dryer though.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 11:44:00 AM More reviews by nadienadie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As this nail and cuticle oil is so famous and highly spoken of in the nail polish world I decided to give this a go. I was able to get a good deal on this at the time so that swayed me to see what all the fuss is all about!

Anyway, on to the oil. Medium thickness yellow oil, has a strong almond smell, very sugary and sweet, can be cloying. However, after this absorbs the smell is much less noticable.

Quickly and easily absorbed. Very moisturising. A little goes a long way and a small bottle, even with repeated daily use, such as using after washing hands for example, this oil will last a long time.

Would definately re-purchase!

Would like to see this oil packaged as a portable pen in the future. I did carry a bottle of this in my handbag for a couple of weeks but I was afraid that this would open in my bag so I stopped doing that.

But to use on your desk at work or on your bedside table at home this is a great option for you!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Sarahd1324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Back when I was getting Shellac manicures, using this oil everyday did help my manicure last a little bit longer. Besides that, I have horribly dry cuticles and when I use this oil it keeps them hydrated all day long. I wish I remembered to use it more often!