December 18, 2014 | 1656 users online

Highlighters - Guerlain - Les Meteorites balls powder

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Guerlain Meteorites are an iconic luxury cosmetic. If you're new to the idea, it's colored little talc beads in a little container, which is usually very pretty. Smells flowery, like violets. Looks sheer when applied and somewhat sparkly.

I've drunk the Kool-Aid. Yes, I am one of the growing group of MUAers who love Meteorites and swear up and down that we CAN SO see a difference and it's gorgeous and you can pry that tin or cardboard box out of our cold dead hands. It took a while. At first I was like, "It's sparkly talc ballz, whomp whomp." And it is. And for some of you, that is all it'll be. Pretty, iconic talc ballz in a luxe container. But some of you, like me, will start to notice a difference. On the days I don't wear Meteorites, I miss them. They are the finishing touch that gives my pasty dry skin that wow factor. In most Meteorite editions, I can see glass-fleck like irregular sparkle from up close, but from a foot or two away or any further than that, it just reads as a glow.

PROS-- lasting finishing powder; good for dry skins; gorgeous packaging; lasts forEVER; the exact effect is honestly really hard to dupe (I think the closest I have come has been Chanel Poudre Douce and maybe Physicians Formula Happy Booster in Translucent very lightly applied--both have the satin finish paired with irregular sparkle but it seems a bit less refined.)

CONS-- a splurge for most; not a miracle worker--if you're looking for actual voodoo, you may be disappointed; really not a great shade range... I feel that those with richer skintones may find many of the Meteorites options too pale and ashy; if you are offended by fragrance (like violets), glitter, or talc, pass; and, with all the multitude of special editions, some are just going to be really great (Dragonballz!) and some will just suck...ballz (Blanc de Perle!).

And yet I love it anyway. I love it because I rarely wear foundation, preferring instead to invest in products that address subtle textural imperfections while preserving the crystalline translucency of bare skin. Many Meteorites do a great job of this, smoothing out my skin and making it look soft and non-matte. I recommend, but be aware that it may not be for you, so try before you buy if you can.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by evildoctorporkchop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

these meteorites are a uniquely packaged product, but not that unique of a product, all things considered. i like the concept. i've grown to like the feminine, violet scent that disappears after application. i think they do the job as advertised; not as a highlighter, but definitely as a setting powder. however, there are plenty of other finishing powders that will get the job done all the same.

the main draw here is that it's beautiful: the packaging, the pastel-colored balls of soft powder, and in the case of the perles du paradis, which is the version i own, the fluffy, pink bow puff that's just simply too exquisite to pass up. i'm not bothered by the cardboard. i think it's a lovely homage to the boudoir powder boxes of the 1930s. all in all, it's definitely a luxury item, not a necessity...as i buy my second box of ballz...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2013 5:48:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I purchased my first "balls" in Teint Rose. The packaging and smell are lovely. I do enjoy the "diffused airbrush" look that this setting powder / highlighter gives. However, while this is a unique product that does deserve 5 stars, I don't find it HG or a "can't live without" item.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 3:41:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Edit: i bought this in the new formulation n much prefer it. It needs to be pressed in then buffed away OR used with a duo stippling brush (not ecotools kabuki) because it is softer.
I like the effect of this better.
Raised rating accordingly.

You get shafted more because more powdery + less product compared to old formula. Old perles gave a more matte effect, these are more translucent bcuz talc is lower in ingredients list.

---
I can safely say that I regret getting it. I have it in Teint Dore 03, the ones that look like Reese Puffs, which is what the salesgirl recommended to me though i was gravitating towards Teint Beige 02. I am about NC25-30, sometimes darker. Anyway, this is beautifully packaged, beautifully scented, beautiful idea. Once when I was applying this my hubs walked by and remarked "That looks really cool. Like something rich noblewomen in ancient Rome would have. Or a queen." That's exactly why i love using it. It's the packaging and the whole concept that makes it worth the price. You just feel great finishing your makeup with it.
Good things: lasting power is awesome. Light dusting in AM is still present at night. Mattifies the skin, and if you don't over apply, it has a nice, soft-focus effect. Yet it also looks like I'm sweating glitter, if that makes sense. The colour i have definitely leaves a bronzed glow, but not in a good way. It's rather greyish/greenish cast, than just a healthy bronze look. As though I'm depleted of essential vitamins or deprived of fresh air. In fact, whenever I use this, I have people asking me whether I'm feeling okay as "your skin looks a bit dull...did you get a good night's sleep?" and similar comments. I have also been advised not to use "whatever you're using these days" because it's giving my complexion a dull/grey/dirty look. I get comments like this EVERY single time--and trust me, without makeup, my skin is nigh flawless, aside from a bit of light acne scarring. Like the reviewer below, I look better without this powder, than with.
Speaking for myself only. I actually used it on my mom once. It made her skin look radiant. So 4
stars for her, 1 star on myself. Even it out to 3 stars overall.
I really wanted to love this. I've bought into the whole luxurious concept so much that I still do. That's what Guerlain's great at--even if a product is mediocre, there is the aura of luxury surrounding it that still redeems it to the buyer. "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the consumer" applies in this case. Recommended for the fantasy, not for any actual cosmetic benefits. For an all-over glow, I'd recommend LORAC perfectly lit oil-free powder, applied with a large brush.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by glamglamglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I LOVELOVELOVE this. Okay, that seems a little dramatic, but I really do. I went to Sephora as well as the Guerlain counter, and they kept trying to match me to #2, but I thought #3 would match me better since I'm tanner in the summer (this was around June that I went). I was right, duh.
I really love the finish these things give. It's absolutely amazing! I use my Dior Hydra Life BB cream (another HG product worth trying out!) and this on top, along with a little of my Dior Healthy Glow Enhancing Bronzer/Blush thingy in Sunset (yet another HG. I don't work for Dior, I swear!).
I have super sensitive skin, and it can be combination. I use Retin A, so for a few hours my skin can be very dry, but then it can get very oily (especially the dreaded T-zone). This really helps set my BB cream and honestly I can get away with this, and like a spritz or two of my Urban Dceay Setting Spray, and have it last through a whole summer day. And I am definitely one of those people who touches up/reapplies numerous times throughout the day, so this is a lifesaver.

Now, the one major CON:
The goddamn balls go flying everywhere, and it feels like a waste of my money. I think this was around $60, which is a little expensive for a setting powder. I really wanted a compact version, but that was a special edition one that they don't have in stores right now.
Beware, the compact version of this is not very similar to this! I tried both, and much preferred the loose balls version. It was much more illuminating and glowy.

By the way, I use my Sephora Airbrush Foundation brush #55 to apply this, which is PERFECTION for picking up this product. I refused to buy Guerlain's brush.Why should I when I have the #55 which I can use for my BB cream, Meteorites, and Blush/Bronzer all at the same time?

Honestly, just try this out. It won't kill you to test it out at the store. Give it like 15 minutes or so to truly see a difference, you might not get a WOW factor. But for those looking for a subtle and fresh glow, this is a really good product which blurs pores and imperfections. I mean, don't expect coverage, but it has a little something extra; much better than the other setting powders out there.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2012 5:02:00 AM More reviews by luxlover79

PRICE - I got different variants of these for very cheap price online, but its original price ($58 at Sephora right now) is indeed expensive for what it does. Though I have to justify the price for its longevity coz it can last for years and you'll realize that it's worth the $$$$. My oily skin doesn't make me reach nor buy illuminating products a lot, so I don't know if there's a cheaper alternative that gives the same "glow". So far, this is the best, classiest and priciest powder in my stash when I like the glowing look.

PACKAGING - Guerlain produces classy packagings that gives "elite type of feeling" which leads to believeing that their stuff are "a must". An exact dupe of this in cheaper looking form won't give you the same luxurious feeling that a Guerlain container does. I admit that I have to have it just because...

OVERALL RATING - Not a miracle product, but very good to use when taking pictures or simply when attending an event where you have to look glowing at your best. I can consider this as my HG illuminating powder. Like I said, I'm not a fan of glowing face everyday but these balls do their job when I need them. Revlon Photoready came to my mind upon using Meteorites, the subtle shimmery effect are similar. I have to try using them together to see if I'll achieve the J.LO GLOW or I'll simply look like a shimmer ball, ha ha! If you're one of the people who gave bad reviews for Photoready, but then you happen to love Meteorites, then you know you're after the Guerlain name :) But hey, it's not bad to indulge sometimes on things which make us feel good right? :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by CupcakePetal123

I am in LOVE with these little guys. They make my skin look softer, smoother, evener (If that's a word lol), and they even give me a hint of sparkle. However, the little pearls always fall out when I swish my brush around in the container. They fall to the ground and burst and leave me with a big mess to clean. These Meteorites are also VERY expensive. I like the product on my face, but I don't like the packaging, the durability of the pearls, and the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2012 9:11:00 AM More reviews by anarchotics

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

First, let's get the elephant out of the room... This is called Les Meteorites 'balls powder'. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Okay, and on to the real review! I bought this on an airplane to Hong Kong because my flight was delayed and the airline gave me 85USD to spend in the in-flight mall as compensation. I was flipping through the magazine and trying to decide between a set of 9(!) Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks which was 50USD or this powder which was about 80USD. Well, I went with the Guerlain and well, I'm not disappointed, but I'm not mindblown either. It is, in all aspects, a BEAUTIFUL, beautiful powder. Mine has green, pink, purple, beige and white balls (cough) in it. Maybe I should say 'pearls' instead ._. ANYWAY. It does have some shimmer, but it's not like, POW DISCO BALL glitter, it's shimmer, more like Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector shimmer. I use this on my good skin days, over some concealer. It is more of a setting powder and I expect the different colors to cancel out my fugly skin tone (although I don't know how it's supposed to do that when you mix all the colours together).

Anyway, I love this because it makes my skin looks really radiant and soft focus. Although, for the price, I must say it's really not that worth it.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2012 4:08:00 AM More reviews by gurlypowa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i remember when i was a teenager walking thru department stores, these little balls ALWAYS intrigued me, and i would long for the day i had enough money to buy them! when i got older, i did some searching online, and was excited to purchase them after reading all the great reviews. and im kinda dissapointed!!!

the product itself is alright - it adds quite a lot of shimmer to your face. im not sure if i love that look... i rather get a nice glow from a good foundation rather than shimmery glitter from these balls. but it's still very pretty if you like that look.

my biggest complaint is the PACKAGING. o god, the packaging. a cardboard box? really?? for that amount of money?? the top can be VERY hard to open, sometimes it gets stuck and you really have to YANK it out, resulting in lots of glittery powder flying thru the air and landing on your shirt which hopefully, is not black. one time, i yanked really hard and it was seriously stuck... and the container fell apart on me. so now i have these pretty little balls in a ziplock bag. i just expected a better container for something that was so expensive and so hyped up.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2012 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Jenlovesmac03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was lucky enough to receive these in a swap cuz I honestly could not dish out $59 for a high lighter. These are very pretty and have a lovely scent to them. I use these as a cheek highlighter as I don't really like to use all over my face, they give a nice sheen highlight, not amazing when compared to other highlighters especially with the price tag that comes with these but I will continue to use until I run out, def a lovely product.