July 29, 2014 | 1920 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2009 5:21:00 AM More reviews by ihatespots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Pros- Lightweight, non greasy, good value for money, have not tanned in the 3 weeks of usage
    Cons- lotion spills all over the container when pouring out, very drying, skin developed a few flesh coloured bumps, flakey

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2009 2:16:00 AM More reviews by broadway0rbust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

PROS: Very light, non-greasy feeling, matte once it's on your skin, nice light scent, really water and sweat resistant

CONS: Hard to wash off, scent changes after a while to a stale sunblock-y type smell, not moisturizing

I initially tried using this for my face on a daily basis, but found that it was TOO water resistant! Even after a day of 'mild' sweating, using make up remover, and exfoliating, my skin still felt tacky from using this stuff! On top of that, the smell is nice when you first put it on, but then turns after about an hour or so. I couldn't take the smell - maybe it was just the fragrance in it reacting with my specific chemistry?

Anyway, I will use up the rest of the bottle on my body. It's good for use if you're going swimming or going to work out hard. But on a day to day basis for my face, I'll stick with something that's moisturizing AND has SPF.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2009 7:08:00 PM More reviews by kngdiana1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is the best sunscreen. IT IS SO LIGHT AND NON-GREASY. It actually makes you less greasy.

On the watery side, but that is what makes it so good. Make sure you shake b4 use.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2009 4:35:00 AM More reviews by mule84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After using this sunscreen for a while as a primer, the other day I put it through the ultimate test... an all day outdoor music festival in the middle of a heat wave. I usually burn really easily, even with sunscreen on, but with this stuff... not one red patch of skin. It also kept my oily skin in check and my makeup stayed on for ages. It's lovely to apply, too - not at all greasy and it has a pleasant smell. It's a winner on all counts!! Just like other reviewers have mentioned, it really is three products in one: moisturiser, primer and sunscreen. When I got home (18 hours after leaving the house) I used an oil cleanser to get all the gunk of the day off my face (I think an oil is necessary to get this stuff off), and am pleased to announce that I have had no breakouts. I am singing the praises of this product to all of my friends and I would definitely buy it again!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2009 4:14:00 AM More reviews by MaggieN

I've have been using this shiseido sunscreen lotion for about a year now, so I guess it's time for a review.

Pro: When I first use this sunscreen, really love it alot because I've never have use a good quality sunscreen that is non greasy nor mattifying as this one. I got the give this sunscreen credit out of all the other sunscreen I've use for the best application and feel, and how it doesn't make my face oily or greasy. The consistentcy of this is like milky, so application is very quick and easy since it spread very on my face easily and absorb into my skin quickly so that I don't have to wait too long to apply my makeup afterward. The active ingredient which is zinc oxide (14%) is very good compare to most sunscreen, because this protect against uva and uvb and 14% is a very decent amount of protection. Even though this is very expensive at $38 for a 3.3 oz bottle, but it last a long time for me, about 6-7 months of daily use (keep in mind I only use this on my face, not on my body cause it's expensive).

Cons: I've recently been trying to convert to going more natural and organics with my beauty products. So I've been visiting EWG (environmental working group) skin deep website, and I found that this sunscreen have a rating of 8 or 9 (0 is least toxic and 10 is more toxic), because this sunscreen contain fragance and other chemical/ingredients that is not good for you and can penetrate the skin. I was pretty dissapointed after finding out about this, because I though I've found my HG, I've already use up 2 bottles. So if it weren't for the fragrance and other chemical, I would probably still use this every day. So now I'm on the search for a decent and more natural sunscreen, but I haven't found a decent sunscreen with good protection that have the same consistentcy as this shiseido, so I'll probably still have to use this one when I'm traveling to somewhere humid since other sunscreen makes me oily in humid weather.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2009 10:00:00 AM More reviews by rpatchell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have dry combination skin. That said, I find that this SS works with my skin throughout the year beatifully. I do need to moisturize more during winter months, but I still find that this product works great and does what it's supposed to do. I also agree with ppl that said that this works great as a primer, I have owned a few primers and nothing compares to this SS lotion. My makeup goes on super smooth over it and it feels lighter than all other primers i've tried (NARS, MAC, Smashbox). I recommend this SS lotion and will definitely repurchase. p.s. I have hiperpigmentation and this is the only thing that keeps it under control w/out breaking my skin out.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2009 12:04:00 AM More reviews by b0hemianl0ve

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this product after reading the reviews here and was very hopeful. I needed an SS for every day use and I figured this would be good. Well, the price is a pretty steep...especially for a college student. The packaging sucks IMO because the product spills and builds up around the part it comes out of..if that makes any sense? I was cleaning it constantly. Cute bottle though..but that doesn't count. I'm VERY oily and this did definitely help, however it also clogged me skin like crazy and gave me a few pimples. I wasn't sure..so I did a test. I used it for two days and noticed 2 pimples and SEVERAL clogged pores. Needless to say..I wouldn't buy again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2009 1:07:00 PM More reviews by TinaL_to

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Itís always been nerve-racking for me to try a new sunscreen because I have sensitive & breakout-prone skin. I wanted to try this SS long time ago and finally made my minds to buy it when I got a coupon last week. The next day after I got it, I put it on around 11:00 am on my clear skin and went out for shopping. By the time I got home at 3:00 pm, I noticed three fresh red pimples growing on my face where I never had breakout before. I ran to wash it off immediately and applied 5% benzoyl peroxide. Luckily, they didnít grow to those very deep angry ones, but still took me four/five days to recover. Another thing that bothers me is the strong scent that makes me dizzy. Otherwise, itís pretty good: it dries to matte finish, controls oil very well, doesnít sting or make my skin red or itchy, and works beautifully with my Doublewear foundation. Too bad I have to return it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2009 11:52:00 PM More reviews by Flospy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

What can't I say about this product? It does everything it sounds and more. I started using it b/c my derm put me on differin, which made my skin sensitive, and told me to get a higher SPF.

Length of use: About a month
    Where Purchased: Sephora
    Associated products: Cleansing oil

1. Sensitive skin: perfect. No sting, no redness, no nothing.

2. Consistency - a nice mid-thin lotion with a mild fragrance.

3. Absorption: excellent. Goes right in, no grease and you forget you have it on. It actually mattifies you throughout the day, for us oilies. I *cannot* feel it at all.

4. Moisturization: perfect for oily, treated skin. this product actually eliminates the need for me to wear a separate moisturizer! Happy Surprise #1.

5. Finish on face: completely undetectable and acts somewhat like a primer. It therefore ALSO has Happy Surprise #2 - eliminates the need for a mattifier/primer (YSL in my case).

6. Staying Power: all day, and very water-resistant too. According to packaging it retains activity after 80 minutes in the water. WOWSAH!

7. Potential Cons - it requires an oil cleanser to remove. But that's expected; rather like knowing that mascara needs eye m/u remover, yes? So I got their cleansing oil which simply replaces my separate eye M/U oil.

I would have said the price is highish, but considering it makes and even substitution for oil (see 7), plus eliminates the need for a moisturizer, primer, or mattifier, the net outlay is negative!

Love it. HG. Have already repurchased.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2009 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Twizler

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I read this was a fab lightweight, greaseless spf for face and at first I thought it was great, so lightweight. But on my combo skin it was actually dry and almost chalky. This is not the perfect lightweight spf I had hoped for and way overpriced. I will stick to cheaper Neutrogena prods!