October 21, 2014 | 1295 users online

Lip Treatments - Sephora - Operation Smile Lip balm

rated 3 of 5 on 5/24/2004 8:43:00 PM More reviews by indiecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The proceeds help impoverished children with facial deformities. A cleft lip can cause problems with feeding and breathing, etc. Anyhow, this is an average lip balm but it stays on my lips and feels better than vaseline even though it smells about the same. I bought the one in the grey tube. Maybe the one in the yellow tube is different. My lips were not numb at all. More companies should be charitable, share the wealth.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2004 3:45:00 PM More reviews by binker123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Why did I buy this? Oh yeah, because of a guilt trip. "It goes to help children!" she said. Well, I plucked down 5 bucks for a little tube of basically Aquaphor with sunscreen. And a good cause? Well, I think there's a lot better causes out there than the one it is currently promoting. I mean, children are starving, lice-infested, and walking around barefoot in freezing conditions. But EFF all that! They get to have a nose job!! Please. Waste of money all around. ~Galaxygoo

Not to start a war, but, have you ever seen the kids that Operation Smile works on, Galaxygoo? I have. Most of them are ALREADY lice infested, freezing (or boiling if they're in a hot climate), and barefoot, but are further ostracized by the fact that their faces are deformed. This is not just a 'nose job,' it's major reconstructive surgery that vastly improves the quality of their lives, and, if they have a cleft palate of mouth-occluding deformity, can sometimes help save it. I just wanted to get that off of my chest, since Operation Smile is a wonderful cause, and very suited to a brand such as Sephora, which is about bettering your appearance. Beyond that, what other lip balm out there donates anything to charity? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

As for the actual balm, I really love it and I'm very, very picky about lip balms. It doesn't taste like anything and it doesn't smell like anything, and though some have compared it to Vaseline in find it thicker, less greasy, and far longer-lasting. I'd buy this again in a heartbeat but since I don't need a lot of it (it's potent), I have barely put a dent into my first tube which I bought a month ago. Well, well worth the purchase in my opinion, especially if you just want an emollient balm to wear under lip gloss or lip stick, and not one that tastes like something or imparts its own shine. An A.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2004 11:16:00 PM More reviews by slassez

ok...after reading all these reviews i went into my purse to pull out my beloved tube of Operation Smile lip balm to smell and taste it. (by the way I just this morning ordered my second tube) I detected no smell and no taste. ??? I wonder if there was a bad batch out there? I love this stuff. In fact I've raved to anyone who would listen that this was the best lipbalm. I absolutely love the packaging. It's completely hygienic and since you don't apply the tube directly to your lips it doesn't get all contaminated with your lipstick or liner. I have not tried the gold one so I can't vouch for that one. It's just a great basic lipbalm and I love the cause it donates its proceeds to.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2004 7:39:00 PM More reviews by sillysilly

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yuck, it strangely numbs my tongue/lips, has a strange taste, and it doesn't moisturize OR protect. It was a total waste of money.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2004 6:18:00 PM More reviews by lobsterh4h

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought a couple of these for myself and a friend when I was on vacation. Hers fell to the bottom of her purse and wasn't used, and mine was trashed after one use. The taste is awful, and I don't know what they were thinking.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2004 1:20:00 PM More reviews by angelbebe48

I actually liked this. Even though I had read all the reviews here before I ordered it, I just really wanted it so I bought it. First of all, its for a good cause and its a really good lip balm. It's not sticky or too runny, it has the perfect texture. It also lasts for a long time, much longer than my other favorite lipbalms. The tube is kinda cute, but I wish it had a better application. And its only $5. The only somewhat bad thing is the smell, which I can handle. Even my sister who can't stand any kind of smell on lip stuff, doesn't mind this. I can understand why people hate the smell, but I'm lucky it doesn't bother me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2004 5:03:00 PM More reviews by nine1588

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

eww! had the money not been going towards a good cause i would not be buying this. It comes out a gold shimmer and tastes nasty

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2003 10:51:00 AM More reviews by julielouis

The only good aspect to this product is that the proceeds go to charity. Am I the only one with numb lips after applying this? Not a good feeling!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2003 6:12:00 PM More reviews by BaEnAuset

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Vaseline with SPF. Yuck. As groovynub said below, at least the money goes to a good cause.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2003 9:04:00 PM More reviews by sugarski

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, the tube packaging is reminiscent of Kiehl's, and the texture is similar... hmm, have I found a slightly less expensive/easier-to-procure version of my beloved Kiehl's Lip Balm #1? And for a good cause, no less? BZZZZZT. But thanks for playing! This has a truly vile taste and smell, like you're swallowing tablespoons of some chemical sunscreen stew that is not safe for human ingestion. I dearly wish I could like it, but it's absolutely nauseating.