October 23, 2014 | 1721 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Up The Amp

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 7:05:00 PM More reviews by Pink_Lotus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I love, love, love this color! This is definitely my go to cool shade lipstick. I don't know why I didn't notice it before. With this purple trend going on right now, I wanted to get something Heroine-like, because I wasn't sure about Heroine yet. (I finally purchased it.)

Up the Amp is about 1 shade lighter than Heroine. It's also similar to MAC RiRI Boy (matte). This color would look nice on many complexions. It's very creamy, goes on smooth, it's highly pigmented, and has decent staying power. I get a bit of the violet look, but not over the top - subtle and WOC friendly without looking glow in the dark. As mentioned in my Heroine review, sometimes I use the 2 colors together for an ombre look. I prefer berry liner with this color. Also Maybelline's Color Sensational Lavender Lavish is a perfect matching gloss for Up the Amp.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Pocahontasq

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was one my first lipstick purchases from MAC in 2011. I have to say its been my favorite go to lippie!! From the application to the finish its impeccable. Not to mention after wearing it for an ample amount of time it doesn't dry out making your lips look crusty. I have had 3 so far and will continue to purchase this amazing product!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 5:45:00 PM More reviews by snowbear64

I just bought this lipstick today from mac. I was looking for a good purple color and no matter where I looked, drugstores and all, I just couldn't find a good one. None of the colors were that perfect purple color. I did find Maybelline's color elixir however which is in the shade "vision in violet." It is slightly similar ones it starts to fade a little. But I wanted an actually lipstick that was a beautiful purple shade. I saw a lot of reviews on YouTube about this lipstick. So I figured that I would go to mac and purchase it, without even trying it on. BEST IDEA EVER. I'm SO glad I purchased this. The price is definitely worth it. It looks stunning with my Olive skin tone. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, but its nice.
The money I spent on this lipstick was worth it. I was so sick of buying cheaper lipsticks because they don't usually work that great. But for 15 dollars, id say it was a great purchase. Mac makes some awesome lipsticks. I would definitely re-purchase this if I ever run out.
This formula is an Amplified Finish. It is very creamy and isn't drying at all on my lips. Which is definitely a plus. Awesome job Mac (: Definitely try out this lipstick if you love purple lips! You wont be disappointed!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

As I mentioned in my review for Prep + Prime Lip, I will not be repurchasing this product due to MAC no longer being a cruelty-free company. However, I received this as a gift with the P+P, and I really love the product itself.
This is in the Amplified finish, which I find to be MAC's most hydrating formula. There's a fair amount of sheen to this without being particularly glossy, and I like the dimension that said sheen provides.
This particular color looks like a muted purple in the tube. (I'm always hunting for the perfect bright purple, which my friend knew when she purchased this for me.) But on my lips, it looks like a wonderful dark lavender depending on the light (in warmer light, it looks like a dusky purple/mauve which is GORGEOUS, and in cooler or natural light, more blue undertones come through and it takes on a truer purple tone). I have no natural pigment to my lips, so I find this applies quite true to the bullet.
The staying power is surprising. Like most Amplified lipsticks from MAC, I find that it has some staining properties. But the lipstick itself doesn't wear off quickly or anything, even without primer. After blotting and reapplying, I can get a solid 4 hours of wear out of this before needing to reapply.
Again, being that this is an Amplified finish, it is quite hydrating. My lips do not dry out or flake as a result of using this lipstick. In fact, it provides just as much moisture as my eos lip balm, so it's not the most moisturizing thing in the world, but it definitely keeps my lips comfortable.
Also, I've not experienced any feathering or settling into lip lines with this color, despite its creamy finish.
So again, if MAC ever decides to cut ties with Estee Lauder, I will gladly repurchase this beautiful color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a really fun MAC lipsticks colors. Don't let this purple scare you, its a very wearable shade of violet/purple. It would look great on all skin tones, and on all ages. It is an Amplified Creme, so It is easy to apply, fully opaque, slightly creamy, very pigmented, and comfortable to wear. I also have Heroine and it is a shade deeper and brighter than UTA, with a matte finish. So, if you like purple lipstick but think Heroine is a little out there, go for Up the Amp instead. Love this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by CMarie92

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this color! It's very creamy too. It doesn't dry my lips out like a lot of lipsticks do. The color is beautiful too. I wouldn't call it an everyday color- at least not for me- but it's beautiful and I've done through 2 tubes of this and when I finish the one I currently have I'll buy it again. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by cutiepolish24

This is my go to lipstick is just so perfect and makes my lips so nice and the vanilla smell to the Mac lipsticks is just gives it an extra kick. I really recommend this lippy to anyone as it will compliment you. I've gotten a Few compliments every time I decide to wear it which is pretty often. I am sad that I am going to finish it very fast.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by reag91

Absolutely LOVE this lipstick! the best part, i got it free with the Back2Mac recycling program! This is my going out go to lip color! I have a light-medium skin tone with warm undertones. I usually wear this with very neutral eye makeup and a nice winged cat eye, and it looks absolutely fabulous! my lips pop and bring my whole look together! i highly recommend this lipstick!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2013 8:48:00 AM More reviews by rockstar00

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This color did not work with my olive skin coloring. I gave it quite a few tries until I decided to give it away. I also noticed this particular lipstick made my lips feel dry and had a greasy look at the same time. Crazy I know. The color always looked off on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by NightSkyStar786

I LOVE this colour--it's perfect for my skin tone which is considered 'cool'. This shade was recommended to me by a makeup professional at a MAC store, and she was spot-on. I was leaning towards the pale-pink-pastel shades that are so popular but when I tried one on, I looked so silly. Up the Amp however, is a pinky-purple and is perfect for those of us who want the modern looking pastel shade of lipstick but can't pull off the pure pinky-white pigment. I highly recommend this to anyone with cool-toned skin! It's a really unique look without looking like you have hypothermia:)