MAC Up The Amp

4.7

on 10/18/2014 4:33:00 PM

Best mid-toned purple lip! I'm an nw/nc20 (really nw but wear nc to play down redness)... This is very complementary to my skin. Brings green out in eyes! Walks the perfect balance bw a deep(er) color and creaminess ... Just creamy enough to carry the color off --- sometimes darker shades are so creamy they melt and smear off or so matte they're dry, but this is perfect. Creamy yet stays put. I find this is usually difficult for companies to carry out. Prob won't have to repurchase cause I don't wear often but this will always be my go-to purple lip! Funky but not over the top, you won't look silly, lighter than being vampy... Just truly a unique shade!

on 10/5/2014 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I would never imagine myself using a purple lipstick but eventually I did and loved it. This is the best violet purple. Up the amp complements my NW20 skin with pink/cool undertones. It makes my skin look less red. I usually wear a black top or a dark grey when I wear this lipstick in order to make it stand out more, looks very sophisticated. It leans more purple than pink on my lips. I also love its creamy formula, soften my lips and fades beautifully. What can I say more, love this lipstick.

on 10/2/2014 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Too blue tone for my yellow skin tone... I suggest Granache from Bite if you want a flatering option for purplely tone.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Definitely part of my top MAC lipstick shades.
It comes off as more pink than purple, despite how it appears.
The purple is very subtle, so it's easy to rock with any outfit/skintone/occasion.

This is a better alternative to Limecrime's Airborne Unicorn, which looks very tacky to me.
If you want a bolder shade, go with MAC's Heroine.
Up the Amp is the less-amped version of Heroine, I'd say.

on 7/13/2014 3:20:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is probably my favorite MAC shade, although I'm bummed because it looks awful against my red hair currently. But that will be fixed soon. ;)

Anyways, I have very light pink lips and NC20 skin tone. On me, this color leans a lot more lavender than pink and is very wearable. It looks beautiful against varieties of blue and purple hair. I believe the finish is amplified and lasts about 2-3 hours until it needs touch ups. The color covers easily and feels moisturizing.

I love Up The Amp!
I've bought it about 3 times, and (it could be because my hair was purple and it matched well)
however, it's not SO purple that it's like 'BOOM'. (even when my hair isn't purple..)
It's very pretty and I'm a NC25 in MAC shades and it's still flattering!

I wish it didn't come off so easily but it is an amplified formula so I guess that's the only con for me.
It doesn't flake at all; like a matte shade might.
: )

Will buy again~

on 6/11/2014 11:14:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love the color its beautiful with purple and pink tones. it suits my skin tone well im medium light. would def recommend it to anyone.

on 6/8/2014 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

One of my top favorites from mac! Love the formula and the beautiful purple color. Great on tan and dark skin!

on 6/2/2014 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

This is one of my favorite MAC colors. I found it yesterday and decided to put it on. I then realized how much I missed it all summer. Beautiful pinky purple that I think is pretty for most skin tones. Brightens up your face and your mood.

on 4/26/2014 7:03:00 AM

My Up The Amp is nearly all gone so it's about time I wrote a review. This is a really unique shade of lipstick that always draws compliments when I wear it. It makes an interesting change from reds and pinks and what I have noticed is that it looks different on everyones lips. I don't have too much pigmentation in my lips so it really stands out as an amplified purple on me when first applied, (in a nice way!). After about an hour it wears away to more of a purple-pinkish tone, which is equally pretty. If you are planning to wear this and want it to last for the day, it won't. I would always carry mine with me and top it up fairly regularly. But i have to do this with all lipsticks really! Would definitely repurchase.

Popular Lipsticks