Bobbi Brown Beige Shimmer Brick Shimmerbrick

4.3

on 10/11/2009 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This was my first shimmerbrick and I was so drawn to how pretty the bricks looked in the compact! I ended up using this as eyeshadow and not a highlighter. Sweeping this over my cheekbones make my combo skin look incredibly oily and my pores huge. But as an eyeshadow it looks so pretty and shimmery. And I can also somewhat justify the cost since you are getting several gorgeous rich colors that you can use as shadow. After several months of use, the bricks started to separate and shatter so I wouldn't recommend traveling with this. All in all, a very pretty highlighter for those with normal-dry skin and if you have oilier skin and find this not working for you, try it as an eyeshadow palette!

I already have the bronze shimmerbrick which i use for nights out when ive been tanning a lot hehe and the pink which is great for everyday subtle shimmer and highlighting. I bought the beige shimmerbrick on a whim and i really really love it BUT after just 2 weeks of having it in my make up bag at home (not carrying around all day in my handbag, just AT HOME) this has cracked and smashed and gone everywhere...i managed to fit it back into the compact but i definitely cannot carry it around with me now cus I just know its going to then completely go all over my bag etc. And yes its expensive so thats the two main bad things i dont like about this product. However, its a great highlighter for that candlelight glow. Also more often i use this as eyeshadow. For someone who doesnt tend to wear e/s at all, and hates dark colours for day, this is perfection. All the colours are neutral shimmers that REALLY open up my eyes and make them POP (they are blue, but my friend has brown eyes and she gets exactly the same effect) I wear this as e/s almost everyday, i just sweep over my lids as a wash, sometimes i lightly go all the way up to my browbone with the lighter shades, and i finish with a natural mascara and mac angel lipstick, this combination against my nc30 skin, blue eyes and brown hair looks sooooo pretty and is my everyday look :)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Bobbi Brown had a good idea with these versatile bricks, but I feel that it went horribly wrong when she added the "shimmer" part. I have an oily t-zone and while I usually steer clear of anything with the word "shimmer" (besides eyeshadows and the occasional blush), I went for this anyways. My thoughts:
Pros:
-You get a good deal of product.
-Lasts for a decent amount of time when applied
-Pretty eyeshadow colors for those of use aiming for a shimmery neutral look
-Gorgeous in the compact
Cons:
-PRICE!! Holy smokes. Way overpriced.
-To reiterate: oily skin+medium sized pores+shimmer brick= Shiny face and accentuated pores. Looks disgusting on me.
-I don't know if this is just me, but the shimmer tends to find a way to get all over my stuff (ie on my computer, in the carpet, on my body). It's like glitter when I was a little kid. It would just get all over.
I feel that the negatives outweigh the positives and I will never be buying another shimmerbick again :(

on 3/27/2009 9:46:00 AM

i just got this yesterday, i've used the pink shimmerbrick in the past, and loved it. i'm trying to warm things up a bit for the coming summer, so i decided to try this one. i really like it, the pale gold color is really nice. it does, however, seem a little stronger (as far as opacity and shimmer) than its pink counterpart. it's still quite nice, and i'll definately continue to use it, but one of my favorite things about the pink shimmerbrick was how sheer and buildable it was. this one seems to require a bit of a lighter hand. any way, it's still really nice, and i do reccomend it, just with the advice to go lightly for those who are looking for a sheerer, less concentrated effect.

on 3/22/2009 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So far so good. I wasn't sure that I really needed a shimmer brick but I wanted one so after much hemming/hawing I finally gave in and bought the beige.

Okay, this is NOT going to make a lot of difference and is certainly to be considered discretionary in terms of make-up. It's not a must have but what it does do is give me some of the glow that one gets when you're in candlelight. I use it on the tops of my cheekbones and also on my temples (it helps actually detract from my pigmentation by making it more "blurry"). Does extra duty as an eyeshadow/highlighter shadow. All in all, I'm not regretting it and putting it into my daily routine, especially when I know I'll be putting in a lot of hours and will likely be looking a bit worse for wear later in the day and need a pick me up.

on 11/18/2008 9:01:00 PM

PROS:
- This product is great for what it's supposed to do. It's a wonderful highlighter and, with a light hand, it can give that glow-y, "Hi meet me. I'm actually an angel" look.
- You get a lot of product for your money
- It does dual duty as eyeshadow

That said, here are some CONS:
- It's far too expensive ($50 CAN). I tend not to use highlighters on a daily basis so it didn't make sense for me to keep this.
- It has a tendency to go all over the place and without the right brush it can look garish (I use the MAC 116 instead of BB's Face Blender).

I bought this but returned it. MAC'S Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skin Finish ($ 30) give the same finish as this. The two look the same on my face (Chanel 20-Clair, MAC NC20-25) so I decided to stick with the MAC.

on 10/15/2008 3:05:00 PM

breaks all to pieces and gets EVERYWHERE within weeks. Cool color combination and texture overall but packaging SUCKS!! Too expensive to buy again.

on 9/30/2008 4:40:00 PM

Okay, girls! If you are going to use this as a highlighter, don't dip in and apply strait to cheeks or you will be a disco ball! =) Swirl it in the pan, then swirl the brush either in the palm of your hand or into the mirror (to get the shimmer into the bristles and not sitting on the outside of the brush). Tap the brush well, then very lightly buff into the skin. You will like this product sooooo much better if you use this method. I didn't like it at first either b/c it was WAY too glittery, but now I use it almost every day and love it to pieces. I even use it as an eye shadow on mellow days and it is gorgeous like this too Try it! (P.S. This is very low pigment...so don't buy it if you are looking for cheek color, only if you are looking for cheek highlight!)

Beautiful, fine powder that's not at all glittery or tacky. Imparts a very sheer, pale gold sheen - use over a blush. Natural and stunning.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I love this product. I use it as highlighter, and in a pinch, as eyeshadow. I kept it in my makeup bag and used it every day and was happy as a clam with the texture, the fact that it is noticeable but not *too* shimmery, and the fact that it lasts a long time. Then one day, the closure/snap mechanism broke, which makes me :< . I guess I will be an old lady and use a rubber band to keep it closed in my makeup bag, but I'm disgruntled about it. As much as it cost, the clasp thing should NOT just randomly break.