Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade

4.1

Aqueous Extracts of Aloe, Kelp, Flaxseed, Oleth-10 (Plant Oils), PEG 25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycerin (Coconut Oil), Isopropyl Palmitate (Palm Oil), Diisopropyl Dimerate (Mineral Oil Substitute), Sorbitol (Corn), Hydroxypropyl Bisstearyldimonium Chloride (Detangler), Methyl Gluceth-20 (Corn), Aveda's Own Pure, Natural Preservative Fragrance Containing Geranium & Other Essential Oils, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Methylparaben (Food Grade), Propylparaben (Food Grade), Diazolidinyl Urea (Allantoin)

I have been using this product for over 10 years! Once in awhile I have swayed away to try other items but always come back to my lovely pomade. I have curly hair and use this all year round. I mix it with a bit of pantene curling mousse and my curls are just lovely! I always get compliments on how good my hair smells. A little goes a long way! If you use to much, it's grease city. LOVE this!

on 12/30/2007 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I had bought this product many months ago and used it a bit, and then put it away. I reacquainted myself with it last month, and have really become addicted to it!

I use it mostly over my gel when I bun or ponytail my hair to minimize gel crunch and to add some humectants to my hair. This product works very well to provide texture definition, and minimize flyaways. I have super curly (type 4) hair, and so using a big finger full works just fine. A jar lasts me about two or three months with daily usage, so it's worth the price in my book. The scent is pleasant, and oddly comforting. Using this on a rainy day "can" cause a little frizz because it's drawing moisture from the humidity, but that's not a real problem for me because that's what it's supposed to do.

on 11/28/2007 9:02:00 PM

I am so surprised that no one has mentioned that this stuff removes nail polish. I bought this after getting a pixie cut and I loved the way it made my hair look, feel, and smell. I thought I had found my HG hair product, but soon after I noticed my polish was gummy and soft, so I removed it and put on clear Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, and soon noticed it was gummy too, right after I touched my hair. I don't know what is in this that makes it do that, because otherwise I love it. It's so much better than American Crew, which is what I switched from. Probably won't repurchase tho...It's sad.

on 11/27/2007 10:58:00 PM

This is one of my favorite pomades, the other one being Water Wax by Redken. However, the price is somewhat high. It does last a long time since you don't need much. I have curly hair and this does a great job of making it shiny and separating out the curls so it doesn't look as frizzy. Love the scent too. I would give it five lippies if it wasn't so costly.

on 11/27/2007 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The Aura brand version of this was good but the scent was offensive to my husband and eventually to me so I chucked it, broke down and purchased the Aveda pomade.

First thing I did before forking over the cash was to smell it. The scent was very light and close to being undetectable when applied. Next was the price....$18 for a 2.6 ounce tub....HOLY CRAP! A bit pricey but works so well. The packaging is very pretty with the cobalt blue tub but nothing groundbreaking.

I do like the way the tub goes "boing" when you tap it!!!

The price is the only this that would stop me from buying again.

on 7/30/2007 1:59:00 PM

Wow! Finally something perfect from Aveda. And a great new addition to my hair styling routine.

I've been "blessed" with long, curly, coarse hair, which, as you all know, can often become a frizzy mess. I put a dollop of this through my hair after running the iron through it, and it leaves the curls silky and wavy. Perfect! And well worth the high price. I'd pay $50.00 for this stuff.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

This product is a lifesaver for my dry, very coarse and thick hair. It smoothes flyaways and tames frizzy hair. I used this on a summer trip to Japan and even in the extremely humid weather, my hair didn't frizz as it usually does. It's expensive, but as others have mentioned, a little goes a long way. I can get one bottle to last about 8 months. I imagine if you have fine hair this product might be too heavy or greasy, but with my type of hair, this is definitely an HG product for me.

I have finally found it--a FABULOUS product for my dry, thick, coarse hair! My brow waxer suggested this to me and I bought it, thinking I'd be disappointed. But I LOVE it! It's rather pricey but a little goes a very long way. I use this product during the day, when my hair is dry. (I use Biosilk Silk Therapy and Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme when it's wet.) Just a little on the ends and it really helps. Plus it smells amazing!

on 6/18/2006 6:32:00 PM

When I had long hair, this was nice to use in dry weather to prevent static flyaway. Now I have short, straight hair, so I don't reach for this anymore.

PROS - Definitely makes my hairstyle look shinier. I like to mix a little of this in my hand with styling gel/hold product to amp the shine a bit, that works nicely.

CONS - Use sparingly! - there is a very fine line between soft shiny effect and greasy icky hair.

Overall - Distinct Aveda aroma. Actually, I'm not sure I really notice a difference between this and the Anti-Humectant version on my hair, but I do prefer the clear jelly texture of the Humectant over the the lumpy white mess of the Anti-Humectant. Looks and feels like a gel, feels cleaner and not oily on my hands like the Anti-Humectant pomade. Nice sturdy packaging, though I would like to see a travel-friendly version as well. Three lippies - nice scent, good shine, good flyaway preventative, but you have to be careful with the amount; I could live without this now that I have short hair.
continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this product and use it by itself, as well as layered with other products, depending on how I want my curly hair to look. It is light-weight and works so well! I love that I can apply it while my hair is still wet and my hair doesn't keep that "I-just-showered-and-my-hair-is-either-still-wet-or-really-gelled" look. A tip- NEVER start with the top of your hair with this; it gets a little greasy-looking. Always start scrunching from the bottom and work up.

Popular Styling Products